Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1496 1497 [1498] 1499 1500 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5832951 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22455 on: May 04, 2012, 02:04:54 am »

I came back to DF after a few months off. Armok rewarded me.

Within a few hours I had two tantrum spirals. At the peak of one a new mother butchered her own baby and made a crown of dwarf bone from it.

Next a forgotten beast lit one of my caverns up just as half of my fort was marching a herd of trained crundles to fight a herd of fight crundles.  Eight burned alive.

I start a jabberer breeding program

Next a siege, resolved by my forts sole legendary engraver, he one-shots three goblins, and as an after thought a f.b. with deadly dust that appears in the farming cavern.

I check the engraver's family.  He is the father of the baby-that-became-a-crown and so married to the fort's legendary bone carver.

Why is this game so awesome?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22456 on: May 04, 2012, 04:05:13 am »

My megaproject's nearly finished!  The fort's completely on constructed Supports now and all I really have to do is finish constructing the upper levels before switching the waterclock into its 'permanently-running, you nutters can't stop it, muhahahaha" mode and sealing it.

edit:  About to test the fort's self-destruct after saving.  Should be fun to see what actually happens. Holy crap!  The game HUNG for a good couple of minutes but it actually processed it!  An 18z 35x35 tile spire of excavated rock hitting the flat bottom of a chasm over a cavern with over 180 dwarves inside at time of impact.  Whooo wants pictures?

Spoiler:  The Spire Falls (click to show/hide)

18z of workshops, bedrooms and a dining hall all compress into 5z of THIS
Spoiler:  The remains (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:21:38 am by ThatAussieGuy »

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22457 on: May 04, 2012, 05:25:49 am »

'Daycare' isn't very good - all the children were freaking out. One went on a rampage, killed three other kids, and was then beaten to death by a couple of adults.

One of the children had a mother in the military. She's now freaking out for her dead son, who killed three other children.
And the father...

A vile force of darkness arrives, pursuing a caravan.
Close the fort, our soldiers are not equipped to deal with it!
Somebody has destroyed the bridge that forms the barrier.

If we live through this, and I find out who did it, I will make a totem from their bones.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:47:02 am by MasterMorality »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22458 on: May 04, 2012, 05:40:47 am »

The odd thirst that has struck Sabreheals (dwarves not drinking water or alcohol, despite availability of both) has claimed at least ten lives, and three melancholic dwarves are busy throwing themselves into the dining hall, failing because they land on other dwarves, and to boot, another child has come down with the infernal ash sickness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22459 on: May 04, 2012, 05:49:28 am »

Quick question - submerging a coffin doesn't do anything to it, does it?  It stays a resting place, etc etc?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22460 on: May 04, 2012, 06:27:51 am »

@Aussie

I don't believe so. Not sure for certain.

As for my fort:

A heavy toll has been taken by the thirst, and infernal ash epidemic.
Some migrants arrived, despite the danger, and were promptly drafted to fight:

Zombies. A miner dug down and 'discovered a curious structure deep underground' - Just zombies to kill. I know what's at the end. When we discovered it, our unit list shot up to 175 Other, of which 173 were undead. The grand majority promptly fled the map, leaving roughly 40. Of those, 25 have been defeated, with heavy losses.

Two speardwarves went berserk and were promptly put down, but they were unconscious when they berserked anyway.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22461 on: May 04, 2012, 06:34:34 am »

Earthmastered's military has degenerated into a bunch of recruits. All the heroes have died in the last tantrum spiral.
The last ambush the goblins actually defeated my guys and broke trough into the trade depot. We were saved by caravan guards but it is clear I can't fight in the open for a while.
Closed all the exits except one and that is only reached by a long ravine guarded by wardogs and archer fort. Started building gold roads. The golden bridge into my fort is finished.

Meanwhile I was opening the new barracks roof to adjust them to sunlight (when I finally get around to making glass).
Wasn't paying attention and made a critical error designating roof deconstruction.
Three sections of my fort have collapsed, we lost about 30 children and 10 adults.  :o
I'm actually rather impressed at my level of ineptitude.   :-[
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22462 on: May 04, 2012, 06:38:16 am »

We got two announcements quite close together: Angzak Lishrekzas, forgotten beast has arrived! A vile force of darkness has arrived! Fortunately, they're both easily kept away. I discovered a few weak spots in New Sabreheals' walls and filled them in; and then pulled the drawbridge up to keep Mr Gobbo out.

We're managing to take out a few zombies at a time, they're down to a population of ~10. We suffer at least a few injuries every wave; I haven't the dwarfpower left to replace them a few more times.

EDIT:

With the opening of the cavern containing the underground structure, our hunters have gone mad with glee. One managed to fight three crundles at once, alternating with his shots to keep them all unconscious.
Our meat stocks have shot from 40 to well over 500.

As for the underground structure, we uncovered some more zombies. The army aren't going to move in until the weapon traps have been completed (lots and lots of crossbows, supplied by our surfeit of bolts.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:47:12 am by Reudh »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22463 on: May 04, 2012, 06:45:09 am »

Earthmastered's military has degenerated into a bunch of recruits. All the heroes have died in the last tantrum spiral.
The last ambush the goblins actually defeated my guys and broke trough into the trade depot. We were saved by caravan guards but it is clear I can't fight in the open for a while.
Closed all the exits except one and that is only reached by a long ravine guarded by wardogs and archer fort. Started building gold roads. The golden bridge into my fort is finished.

Meanwhile I was opening the new barracks roof to adjust them to sunlight (when I finally get around to making glass).
Wasn't paying attention and made a critical error designating roof deconstruction.
Three sections of my fort have collapsed, we lost about 30 children and 10 adults.  :o
I'm actually rather impressed at my level of ineptitude.   :-[

you know the roof doesn't have to be glass? it's a nice touch but not quite vital, sun shines through stone roofs!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22464 on: May 04, 2012, 06:47:46 am »

Aye, as long as it was once outside, it's always outside.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22465 on: May 04, 2012, 07:23:57 am »

you know the roof doesn't have to be glass? it's a nice touch but not quite vital, sun shines through stone roofs!

Oh, how odd, thanks. I'll build the glass roof anyway for aesthethic reasons but it is good to know  ;)
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22466 on: May 04, 2012, 08:28:56 am »

The elves come, and sink to new levels of worthlessness.  What do they offer for trade?  Five animals, none of which are trainable for war, including a moose and water buffalo.  No bins of cloth either, which means they had little of value.  I bought some thread, clothing, and berries, and to show my contempt traded nothing but worn out clothing for it.  The elves have proven themselves unworthy of my crafts and roasts this year.

And of course their caravan of uselessness was followed by the usual goblin annoyances.  The snatchers got snatched up themselves by the initial surface cages meant to snare thieves and animals.  A pair of ambushes from the gobbos too.  The first one was led by a lowly goblin recruit (wtf).  That might have been a diversion from the second one which was led by a human swordsman.  The human killed a mason that thought the civilian alert meant run as far away from the fortress as he could.  The ambushes were unsuccessful though, my melee unit crushed half the invaders with the marksdwraves offering fire support and others ran like hell for the map edge. 

The first cavern has been breached, and a small area is being walled off to corral any FBs that dare to approach the fort.  There are some cage traps being set up to capture underground critters.  We have already captured, trained and slaughtered a draltha, and some soldiers killed another draltha during field training.

A metalsmith got moody during the invasion, and finally cranked out a useful artifact.  He made an artifact iron short sword which should serve us well in battle.  It's been assigned to the militia captain in charge of the swordsdwarf unit.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22467 on: May 04, 2012, 09:30:54 am »

Been making a fort devoted to creating ( hopefully ) metal-clad martial artists, who don't use weapons.  So far so good. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22468 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:25 pm »

The best way to describe my current fort is a mix of inner circle of hell and purgatory.  Down at the magma smelters a Forgotten Beast made of dolomite and spitting deadly dust just wiped all 5 furnace operators in 1 go.  The magma pipe was in a cavern layer and I had not finished capping the roof before he came.

In the hospital, up near the dormitory, 4 wrestlers are currently quarantined due to either being bitten by a were iguana or soon to be ripped to shreds by the others.  The barracks next door is currently sealed with 3 bodies and the first soldier to be infected by the were-iguana.

If all that isn't bad enough, a necromancer just reainimated 2 dead horses from a failed elf caravan and currently heading to the entrance where my mechanic has failed to connect the bridge to the lever yet.  So from the looks of the current situation my dwarfs are currently waiting to either die by forgotten beast or zombies.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22469 on: May 04, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »

Goblin siege cut off the Dwarven caravan this year at the cost of an entire squad of lashers. Now I have large piles of loot, and a couple of mad dwarves riding mad camels (wtf) hanging around while the loot is gathered. Luckily, when a camel goes mad it apparently drops everything it was carrying, so I can reclaim and collar the food.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.
Pages: 1 ... 1496 1497 [1498] 1499 1500 ... 3836