Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858755 times)

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24600 on: August 04, 2012, 07:40:47 pm »

You're correct; I'm a moron.

Floating fortress it is. :D
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24601 on: August 04, 2012, 10:36:46 pm »

BEEP BEEP SIEGE! ALL DWARVES NOT IN THE MILITIA, RETREAT TO THE LEGENDARY DINING ROOM/LEVER CONTROL CENTER, BALL 'OL GOBLINS APPROACHING!

First siege this fortress has had. I never seem to get sieges until late fortress life. Heck, I never even get ambushes on average.

Anyway, 15 goblin bowmen, a goblin axeman, and a Elkbird; all of this vs my mediocre army of 30 marksdwarves. Time to UNLOAD, BABY!

But I seriously fear for this fortress's life. Only a small amount of my militia has any crossbow skill, and those who do are generally only at competent skill level....

WISH ME LUCK! Even though by the time you do it will probably be over with.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24602 on: August 04, 2012, 10:45:08 pm »

LUCK IS WISHED TO YOU.

Wish upon a ☼Human Eyelash☼...
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24603 on: August 04, 2012, 11:09:59 pm »

Welp, my militia was absolutely ANNIHILATED. Adding some insult to injury, the goblins were barely injured. I think 3 out of the 15 received minor to moderate injuries. The ONLY SURVIVING MEMBERS of my Militia were the ones who didn't cross the bridges before they were raised. Amount of survivors: Four. I have them stationed in this archer bunker thing above my entrance area. While I did have defense, (The previously mentioned and 12 cage traps.) I thought, "Naw, we can take them head on, ONWARDS!" I was oh so wrong. I hear if I wait long enough sieges leave, so that's probably what I will do. In the mean time, I'll probably give some more dwarves crossbows and chuck them into the archer-tower-thingy. If I survive this I am seriously refining my training program and battle strategy.

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED. I can do a risky one chance tactic to lure all the goblins onto the primary bridge and fling them to their demise. The straglers will be picked off by the cages and the surviving 4 members of the militia. IF this fails, I'm dead.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:15:41 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24604 on: August 04, 2012, 11:13:19 pm »

I just got an alert "Ineth Mosussavot, jeweler has been found dead. How? I had no tantrums that I know of, and invasions are turned off until the map is clean again.

Battle logs state it was Edėm 'Legacy' Atīsiden (the last daughter of a now dead couple) pummelled this jeweler until she took a blow a bit too hard to the head.

I found Edėm, went to her relationship page, and looked up what her problem was. No grudge. been fine lately. and yet... she lost a friend to tragedy, witnessed death, and beat somebody recently. She's also quick to anger, but never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything (yeah, that makes sense).  But... what doesn't make sense... is the cause of the slaughter. Whatever, I'm making hoods for everyone.

NinjaEdit: And then I see two more that two children have bled to death. What in the name of Armok is happening? Wolverine this time. Blasted wolverine.

Edit 2: Well, now that I have a one person justice system, they saw fit to put Edėm on a rope in the dining room. Edėm couldn't take the stress, and went berserk. Not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I think I caused her to go berserk, and she's a nicknamed dwarf. On the other hand, she's berserk,b ut she's already on a chain so damage is limited. Hmm..

Either way, she lived up to her nickame of Legacy! heh.

Edit 3: A full tantrum spiral erupts! many dead, FPS goes crazy, and... my god I think I'm just going to embark somewhere else. The recovery on this will take... wooo.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:08:43 am by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24605 on: August 04, 2012, 11:34:17 pm »

I did the risky arse move, The gobbos didn't move onto the bridge, Then an idiot survivor marches down to the bridge. The gobbos go wild and flock across the bridge shooting at him. I order the bridge lever pulled, it is pulled, and gobbos go flying into the cage trap.

RESULTS FOR ATTEMPT ONE: 7 Goblin bowman POW (Prisoner of War.) and one seriously injured, and stupid, marksdwarf.

ATTEMTP TWO: Oh look, the lever was on repeat. A few bridge passes, goblins, and couple idiot marksdwarves later: 2 More POW I can use for horrendous experiments, and One dead marksdwarf.

EDIT: After as nice night off rest I loaded the save and found that the cowards were retreating! Bittersweet victory, at least 27 dead dwarfs and 9 POW that I can use for stupid stuff and strip for goblinite. I sincerely hope this does not form a tantrum spiral (Though I sorta do, because I want to try a glacier fort.), and that my EHbLC (Emergency Happiness by Legendary Crap) program stops it before it starts.

TIME TO MASS PRODUCE COFFINS!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:04:22 am by Mageziya »

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24606 on: August 05, 2012, 10:40:31 am »

I really need to get my metal industry up and working so I can equip my soldiers with something half decent, is what's going on. Also thralls. Second year, camped out in a cliff, the walls still not fully constructed and this ash has created three thralls. It created a couple of giant ravens which flew away, luckily. Other than that, two Thothgol, and a Cat - which is actually sort of funny since it was set on by my Claw and battered around the marsh with a wooden training axe.
The Fisher Thrall is slowly and deliberately racking up kills. it's sort of scary. And then this happened:

A caravan guard - who was subsequently killed - tried to force a snog, mid combat.

Dude - stop kissing the thralls. I can't imagine the undead kiss well, nor that it is healthy or hygienic to stick your tongue in their mouths.

Edit: Fort was abandoned. Six birds and another Thothgol wandered into the ash. They then destroyed my unarmed fortress utterly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:28:40 pm by MasterMorality »

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24607 on: August 05, 2012, 11:32:57 am »

Well members of my fort are tantruming then stopping shortly afterwards. Fort-dwellers are going various degrees of insane here and there; already had to kill a berserk child with what is left of my militia. Not enough coffins available, a restless ghost is haunting the fort. It's not like a spiral or cascade, not even a web, but a slow....rot. Post Siege Rot.

Welp DF has a new term.

Rot: Slow inner destruction of a fort.

Post *Insert event* Rot: Slow inner destruction due to the effects of an event.

Siege Rot: The slow inner destruction of a fort due to long term siege/containment.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24608 on: August 05, 2012, 11:45:38 am »

Discovered what the execrable smoke does, thanks to some helpful hedgehog people wandering through it.  Uncontrolled vomiting, it seems.  Continued observation needed to see if this ends up deadly, but if its just some spewing that stops in a reasonable amount of time I'll stop worrying about it.  No thralls is good, though, since I didn't need them on top of zombies.

Speaking of zombies, a migrant nearly got eaten by a zombie Giant Eagle because instead of heading inside the nice safe fort, he stood around for like half a month with his thumbs up his ass or something.  He only ran inside when the zombie started chasing him.  Idiot.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24609 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:22 pm »

Just returned from a very long break, now my expedition leader's head is lying on the bottom of a lake and other 3 dwarfs are dead. Everything seems to be normal.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

NinthShadow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24610 on: August 05, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »

I'm currently working on dividing my dwarves into two Castes: The Underdwarves and the Citizens. I've set up two burrows, one at magma level and the mini-fort I have started carving out, and one near the surface with all the rest of my stuff. I'm going to bind 10-20 dwarves to magma level, including a miner or two, many of my "serfs" and a variety of artisans. All this because I'm too lazy to pump/move the magma up 150 z-levels. The burrows overlap in a "customs office" with import and export stockpiles so that raw metals and whatnot from the upper fort can be shipped down to be used in the lower fort, while finished metal goods can be brought up to the surface fort for use/trade/decoration. I have it dug out, but I haven't irrigated the sub-level farms. I don't want to have to ship booze and food downstairs, so it needs to be self contained.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24611 on: August 05, 2012, 04:19:03 pm »

I am screwed, sorta.

First a cyclops comes to my fort. Okay, seal up, get everything set up and....

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

Fudge. All I can do is hope the cyclops takes a good number of them out.

In the mean time I need to finish that execution pit pronto. I AM NOT LETTING THEM TAKE THOSE PRISONERS BACK!

Edit: Cyclops down, no goblins down. hmmmmmm, You think I can trap every goblin in cages? Sure, this is a massive seige, but if I can take every single goblin, troll, and mount prisoner.......

Problem: There are easily 50 of them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:27:47 pm by Mageziya »

NinthShadow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24612 on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

Mageziya, I'm truly enjoying reading about your plight.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #24613 on: August 05, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »

Why thank you, the fort of Chancegirdered (I think that is it's name.), ruled by the Frosted Paints, All under The Strapping Trades, has been going through hell recently.

Anyway, it's official, bridges are godly. Already caught a few trolls. Given enough room, space, time, luck, and cages, and this entire siege could become a bundle of POWs.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24614 on: August 05, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »

Recent fort is doing pretty well.

Kept losing items to stinking thieves so added a few walls, blocked my old entrance and made a new one and added a bunch of walls around it, seeing i have a butcher nearby to the new exit, usually my hunters spot them, and i can tell you, thieves do NOT want to be near decent dodgers with grand master with crossbows, especially the guy with 2 hunting dogs!

Thought i was going to lose a dwarf to insanity, cos he needed stone and leather, put up a tannery which i didn't have before which got 1 piece of leather pretty quick but ran out of creatures to kill then, set some stuff to be slaughtered but didn't seem to give him any leather which he wanted to use. Decided to ignore it for the time being and mined literally every stone which i hadn't mined, still didn't get any he wanted, so i went deeper with my shaft, still no rock he wanted. Then the best timed caravan EVER arrived. I bought literally every piece of leather they had which sorted him out! yay! no idea which rock he used cos he didn't even need it as far as i could tell, he was just asking for it for the lolz.

Death toll of two so far, one idiot drowned himself chasing a monkey, the other i'm not sure about. Waiting for a siege, that's when the "fun" should start! still, i have some pretty whack marksdwarfs, my entrance is WIDE open at the moment but too lazy to fix it at the moment, easier to deal with the traders/thieves as it is. The world is ~10 years old (a brilliant amount of years to not find any necromancers as far as i can tell). Also, the amount of skilled dwarves i'm getting is impressive! all sorts of guys who are skilled in everything have come.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 3836