Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1815 1816 [1817] 1818 1819 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856188 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27240 on: January 08, 2013, 07:37:20 am »

Another siege turned away, with only one dwarf casualty; a civilian who was too fucking stupid to get his ass inside in a timely fashion like he was told. His wife and three surviving kids, as well as other assorted family, will be in mounring. Other than that fool, only injuries were for a couple inexperienced soldiers who tried to bumrush a wounded lasher. Lightsabers, man. He managed to survive an entire squad mauling him for quite a bit, but he was eventually taken out. Then there were the numerous livestock harmed by a goblin mounted on a giant bat that took ashortcut over the walls.

The majority of the siege was either dead in my traps or escaped, but quite a few poor bastards got trapped when I sealed the only exit and sic'd the melee squads on them while the archers shot down from above. Ignoring the two injured troops, it was a massacre. That dodge-pit trap is the best thing ever. Just need more weapon traps on the bridge, maybe some fancy spikes at the bottom...

Oh, and the entire elven caravan died, too. Most of them being on the dodge-pit bridge when flying goblins descended on them. That's always fun to watch.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27241 on: January 08, 2013, 09:04:37 am »

PreviousFirst

Kebonathel, or "Odorringed", start to grow. We have just established the main depot and reached a suitable spot for farming. Plump helmet, as usual.

We are blocking southern approaches by building a wall that blocks the valley. We will also build a western gate to leave a safe escape for traders.

Digging the main staircase (3x3 up/down stair, separed from each floor entrance for security reasons).

Seems that I have not taken a couple of dogs, but two bitches. I will craft some crafts to buy a dog in order to train some more animals.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:53:51 am by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27242 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:53 am »

And as I was posting this, some migrants arrived.
Two masons (this time useful, as I want to build a tower), a Potter (say hello Harry! A living relative!) and two farmers (which will immediatly be reallocated in something more useful).
One of the mason has a puppy. A she puppy, of course.

Time to set up a dormitory, and to do some prospect for the living quarters.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27243 on: January 08, 2013, 03:41:04 pm »

Middle layer of the hill has been sealed off from the rest of the world, and the rough edges of the hill between upper and middle have been dug away, making a nice terrace.

A goblin ambush was detected on the lowest part of the hill by a peacock, who was slaughtered (yay more room for giant war black mamba!) and the goblins caught in the hallway of cage traps that awaits visitors. I'm thinking the lower hill will just be filled with cage traps, and left unsealed so any big Fun will be caught, rather than terrorize everything.

10 years and going. Trapping forgotten beasts in 1x1 rooms with bridges, then walling them off so the caverns are slightly less dangerous (and there is still a clown fort under there to be dealt with).

FPS is a concern, since with 125 population I'm at anywhere from 30 to 80, depending on the activity level of everyone.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27244 on: January 08, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »

Bwahahahaha!

A goblin ambush was spotted right in the middle of the trap bridge, as the human merchatns were trying to leave. One of the goblins miraculously didn't fall into the pit, and suddenly a pet kitten comes running across the bridge, trying to get into the fort, and bumps into the swordsgoblin. So what does the kitten do? Mauls that bitches face. The kitten didn't do a whole lot of damage, but that's a fine way to run it in, eh? A human lasher came over and put the goblin out of her misery.

Udil Channeledkiss will go down in history as one vicious little kitty.

A few goblins were still alive at the bottom of the pit when Adil Wireskin the Suffering of Burning and Captain Ustuth Portentrazors the Mountainous Rip of Flying showed up. Mysteriously, the goblins all died.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27245 on: January 08, 2013, 05:05:00 pm »

Out of iron?  How can I be out of iron?  Oh, because I left the forge set on "make serrated discs forever", and I now have two legendary weaponsmiths.  Stocks show 282.

New fort going well.  Durin's stair in place, surface straight down to SMR.  Building stairs straight up and surrounding with olivine blocks, to give it that Minas Morgul look.  Mass marble block production underway, to create Heaven (marble floors and gold statues) at the top Z.  Or maybe Olympus, your choice.  Mass window production started - I'm going to replace all the walls next to my 16Z waterfall.

Finally got the minimal spiral minecart track correctly done, but the macro needs tweaking.  I have a separate spiral to guide carts up, as I haven't tried to figure out rollers yet.  Also finally have some functional bedroom macros, but those clearly need tweaking as well.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27246 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:31 pm »

I'm seriously trying to figure out what it is with the Captain of The Guard and cutting off feet. It's not like its a problem he's killing efficiently and stopping the enemy from escaping but I swear every goblin he meets crawls away with both his feet or legs missing.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27247 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »

Maybe he collects them...

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27248 on: January 08, 2013, 11:20:37 pm »

I just generated a dwarven civilization that worships Melbil ("Tome") Mindfullessons the Scholarly Brain of Prophets . . . as well as Sodel Oxsnuggles the Soapy Bunny.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27249 on: January 09, 2013, 12:12:47 am »

The Goblins came. Many are dead, among them Udib Lekmuthkat the medic. I have appointed the Butcher to see to the wounded. He at least knows what bits go where. 15 adults, 5 children and 2 babies remain alive, although Tirist Vaboktomus may lose his leg.

Lor Solamducim is refusing to drink beer. The loss of his wife, his child and his cat has hit him hard.

I have ordered caskets made for the deceased. All non essential work is to stop. We were lucky the Goblins wasted so many arrows on the cat farm.

We've pulled together an ad hoc squad of 5 to see to the defences. The traps are re-armed and ready.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #27250 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:39 pm »

The loss of his wife, his child and his cat has hit him hard.
Who needs family anyway? The cat is the worst. How can he live without his mind controlled? Assuming dorfs have anything that we can call a "mind".
cat farm.
I have seen many players tempting the fate but you, sir, you are punching it straight into the face.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27251 on: January 09, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »

Lack of migrants. Read that again. LACK OF MIGRANTS.

Not in the "oops, I picked a dead civ" sense, but despite my fucking gold plated road, ample sup[ply of good food of ever increasing variety and value, the fact I have spare beds and clothing, and caravans are routinely escaping in one piece (Except for one accident with a wagon from home and a half destroyed human one years ago) I still have yet to get the migrants I need. I keep getting informed that the place attracted nobody this season. Four the last six years. Something is very VERY wrong here.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27252 on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »

The first year on my first fort since installing the dalek mod is coming to a close. I've spent a ton of time planning out a vast underground complex of tall uniform buildings, with avenues/streets and bridges connecting them all. I have not spent any time on defense (not that a planned defense would do much good against daleks), and am waiting with anticipation for a small force of daleks to come wipe out all my dwarves and erase my plans for good.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27253 on: January 09, 2013, 01:53:55 pm »

@Splint: Have you actually traded with the traders in bulk?  Has the dwarven liason come and left alive and with an agreement?
It seems you may be the last dwarves in the world

Dawnhammers: The year is now 10 (the fortress was founded in 3).  We have over 200 dwarves and the queen seems to be enjoying her stay.  A real trooper that queen: until I disabled her labors, she insisted on hauling, fishing, and constructing semi-megaprojects with the rest of my dwarves.  We'll have none of that here, as we want a King Consort and an heir.  The queen also constantly mandates more cages and bans their export, so we're setting up cage traps for the residents of these savage lands (mostly thrips, louse, and masked lovebird men, but some honest animals as well) and will soon have a truly impressive zoo for her majesty in the new Recreation Commons.

The military, including the Fortress Guard, is 50 strong -- 20 marksdwarves and a squad each of hammerdwarves, swordsdwarves, and axedwarves.  They sustained losses to a web-shooting titan that visited a few years back, but other than that make quick work of anything they're dispatched against.  One of the swordmasters is also our perpetual mayor, with perpetual mandates for more shields, more bolts, or no exporting shields or bolts.

The goblins come almost seasonally, and have thusfar been a complete joke.  The biggest problem has been snatchers grabbing children that are outside on wall and roof assembly, but so far no snatcher has made it off the map.  Mostly, they get spotted by cats.  The ambushes are annoying when they come (especially alongside the elven caravan), but the one siege we had... a single squad of goblins, smaller than the ambush the season before.  Pathetic.

Elves brought two tame/domesticated Giant Ravens last year: a male and a female.  It's a pity the goblins butchered that entire caravan, as I would have sent them off with a mountain of stone crafts.  The ravens have been given a secluded aerie with nest boxes, locked away from dwarves to breed.

Dwarven Hydromechanical Power Plant completed, generating 2400 raw power, walled in with a roof to protect it against any attempt to damage it.  Pumping magma to the surface could now commence... but abandoning the deep industries would be impractical after so much time and building, and I use the surface a bit much to assemble a magma flooder... so I'm not really sure what to do with the power plant.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27254 on: January 09, 2013, 01:58:15 pm »

I know damn well they aren't. I did a experiment and as long as either the general or monarch is alive, new migrants will be poofed into existence. Last time I saw the dorf caravan  a lone wagon crashed and they never came back. You'd think all the damned trade goods coming out regardless with all the other caravans would be enough to coax people to arrive. I've tried upping the pop cap to see if that's the Issue.
Pages: 1 ... 1815 1816 [1817] 1818 1819 ... 3836