Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1853 1854 [1855] 1856 1857 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788039 times)

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27810 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:13 pm »

All me dwarves are in the military (except for a crucial skeleton crew of eight) Population: 110

I have broken into all cavern layers, Ive created a network of key choke points each with a burrow with 3 squads designated to them (barracks, dinning room, trainning room, shooting range, armory and perma haulers for food drink and ammo. each squad being 5 dwarves.)

I leave my front gate open durring attacks, (NEVER CLOSE THAT GATE, COWARD!)

I have no traps, (Let a what do a dwarf's work? For shame!)

I have lots of deaths every season, (Aw!)

But the enemy always have more, (Ha!)

Every citizen is ecstatic, (Blood! Blood!)

And my population is rising. (Fill the ranks!)

Ah yes, another fantastic day for the Dwarven race.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:10:26 pm by Burnup »
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27811 on: February 15, 2013, 02:36:38 pm »

What are the eight? Just food production?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27812 on: February 15, 2013, 03:14:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

D;

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27813 on: February 15, 2013, 03:22:19 pm »

What are the eight? Just food production?

One full time diagnostician, one full time cook, one fulltime brewer, one full time carpenter, one full time miner, one architect/hauler/grower, one gem-everything/hauler/grower, one crafting/mechanics/hauling

every militant has 1/3rd of their year as citizens, 1/3rd on patrol, 1/3rd train (hence the squad 'cycle') I spaced out their scheduling to make sure I have enough of each profession when I need them. (Each season has it's own 'main' industry) I didn't need a fulltime metal anything because I just happen to have 10+ awesome metalworkers that switch out who is forging seasonaly. This is a fully automated system. I don't need to manage anything except alerts. (every citizen has a tomb) [The population rises at a slow enough pace that it hardly takes work to manage growth.]
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

shovelmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27814 on: February 15, 2013, 07:14:55 pm »

On my latest fort I just got my first migrant with any medical skills, so I made him my chief medical dwarf. His actual listed profession (highest skill)...."Bone Carver." bwahahahaha  :D
Reach out and crush someone!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27815 on: February 15, 2013, 11:45:20 pm »

D;
If that's not from evil rain I think you've won the game.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27816 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:00 am »

On my latest fort I just got my first migrant with any medical skills, so I made him my chief medical dwarf. His actual listed profession (highest skill)...."Bone Carver." bwahahahaha  :D

I think this deserves a medal.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #27817 on: February 16, 2013, 12:33:13 am »

Slow vampire execution proceeds:

Spoiler: That's gotta hurt (click to show/hide)

Addendum:

The goblins' general led a siege, but his trolls rushed the entrance and hit the cage trap I'd hoped would catch him. Goblin forces destroyed an especially slow wagon, its draft animal, a merchant and a guard before crossing onto the entrance bridge and coming under fire.

Apart from the last of the knife squad getting wiped out, the battle started out mostly routine. A goblin elite bowman did cause some trouble, shooting down some of the marksdwarves in the first emplacement and generally making a nuisance of himself (worse, he appears to have escaped), but things worked out and the first wave of goblins were killed or put to flight. Dwarven morale was still good at this point.

Then, the goblin bow and crossbow squads showed up.

I committed reserves as the goblins blackened the sky with their arrows and soon many of my dwarves were partying amongst the shades. I kept the internal security team back at their position and brought out the melee training squads, ordering them, my reserve melee squad and my sole surviving front-line melee squad to charge the enemy archers while my remaining combat-effective marksdwarves kept up fire and everyone else kept soaking up fire. The charge was costly but effective, disrupting the last goblin forces and breaking the siege.

Also, a kobold made the mistake of showing up just as I was putting down the last surviving goblins.

Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)

During all this, a furnace operator whom I'd neglected to add to a squad was spamming me about her inability to bury corpses, so now she's in crossbow training. If you want to escape the draft, don't attract my attention!

Although I didn't have a good count, I think I've lost somewhere in the neighborhood of sixteen dwarves, and number of dwarves are now content, unhappy or miserable (a fooddwarf, for example, lost both a mother and a child). My surge burial capacity is being tested, but I think I had enough coffins stockpiled and I've ordered more. As this fortress was originally an engineering test, I haven't gone out of my way to build facilities to improve the mood, so we'll see what happens.

I'm reconsidering my open-door policy at this fort and may add a water cannon or some magma misters, but I'm definitely not reconsidering my fully-militarized populace, as that's what made this an unfortunate incident instead of a major disaster.

Edit: apparently vampires can die of infection. Serves her right for what she did.

Edit: a soldier went berserk while sleeping in the main dormitory and shot a child in the guts before being shot to pieces by 18 dwarves who were passing through or attending to the casualties of the earlier battle. He's preceded in death by his wife and survived by five children (of whom four are at the fortress and one is a baby), plus several siblings. The dormitory is a sea of red unhappiness.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:12:07 am by fourpotatoes »

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27818 on: February 16, 2013, 03:26:24 am »

Out of boredom and in a fit of pique I have built a Dwarven Water Reactor facility in my fort. But not just a slapped-together throw-it-out-at-the-last-minute DWR. This one is a work of art.

First, I carved out a chamber to hold it. By which I mean I dug out a large-ish cavern 9 z-levels high. Every wall is engraved with exceptional or better images, and the floor has been smoothed over.

Then I built the reactor housing. Built it out of clear glass blocks. And built it suspended mid-cavern. All doors, floodgates and hatches are exceptional or better clear glass, too. Access is by means of a pair gold block drawbridges, controlled by a silver lever.

The pumps are entirely green glass, with tubes and corkscrews also exceptional or better. The waterwheels are all bloodthorn. All levers, gear assemblies and other mechanisms within the reactor are steel, exceptional or better. The axels are fungiwood. And simply for decoration sake, there are 6 masterwork green glass statues, one of which depicts the foundation of my fort and the other five show images of invaders meeting death during their attempted attacks.

Water is sourced from the brook, through a straight-vertical shaft, walled in by yet more clear glass. Viewing of the reactor is possible from two rooms just to the side of the bridges, which each have a wall replaced with three masterwork clear glass windows. One room has a masterwork set of green glass table and chairs, the other holds the aforementioned silver lever.

In all, I am quite pleased with how it's turned out.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27819 on: February 16, 2013, 08:09:50 am »

Underhive mod.
Experienced a Tantrum Spiral in second fort year, Population 83 => Population 7. Trigger was lack of alcohol and the death of a single legendary conversationalist kid.
One of my starting seven survived. Two guys got "used to tragedy"(I used to see that a lot in earlier releases, but not anymore?), some kidnappers made off with two crazy depressed kiddies(they are in a better place now) and I buried all the dead and sold their boots before abandoning(the survivors were a pretty useless bunch).

76 men and women and children just decided that they didn't want to live in the grimdarkness of the 41 millennium anymore.
I think I never had a spiral that devastating that unprovoked. I didn't even have many perma-idlers, and most people were in the military 24/7 before the mess went viral. I didn't even have a problem with berzerkers until I was down on my last 20 sane hivers, thanks to putting all stable hivers into a shotgun squad.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27820 on: February 16, 2013, 08:53:19 am »

My tantrum spiral fort is down to 3 adults and 2 kids, only one of which is content. That would be the speardwarf, with 15 dwarf kills to his name, all berserkers he had to put down. Hes "a hardened individual" and doesn't really care about the fort, just eating, drinking, sleeping on his artifact bed in his barracks, and sparring by himself with masterwork gear all day.

Got bored with that fort, and I plan on going back in a bit to work on it. But for now, I genned a world with a nice volcano/river area, in a haunted biome. Sounds fun, right? That is only the half of it.

The volcano juts out of the top left quadrant only a few z levels above the river, the river contains all kinds of big game like hippos and carp, elephants roam the hills above the river. Underground, a clown fort lies in wait for some lucky person to come along and play, and passing clouds of nefarious dust rot anything it touches.

The dust is quite potent, killing an elephant in moments from rotting all parts of the body. Been keeping everyone inside as much as possible, and working on anti-dust measures to reduce exposure. Got to remember to make enough gloves and mittens for everyone and some kind of safe path underground to avoid this crap. Lost half of my first migrant wave to an ill timed cloud.

Oh, and an odd thing happened with one dust cloud:

That is down on the magma sea, 60 z levels below the surface or so. That dust cloud started there, and moved its way up the magma pipe of the volcano. Haven't seen that before.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:09:01 am by Lich180 »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27821 on: February 16, 2013, 12:20:38 pm »

Basically, my fort was divided into three parts by bridges: one trap-lined entrance corridor, one floodable corridor after that, and my main fort. Well, what happened was that a goblin siege just happened to coincide with the arrival of a human caravan. I, in my infinite foolishness, decided to wait until the humies enter the fort, and then drop some siegers into the drowning pit under the first bridge. So, the humans arrived all right, but the first sieger was a War Cave Dragon. The others seemed to fall behind, so I just thought I'd let him in, and then raise the bridge.

I made a fatal mistake.

Specifically, I didn't account for dwarven stupidity.

Let me give you a description of the events. The cave dragon rushes through the bridge, but he is intercepted by a macedwarf halfway through. The macedwarf flies off his rocker and goes medieval on the poor beast, bruising its innards, breaking its legs, wings, and other appendages, but, being a macedwarf, he can't seem to actually kill the wretch, and its bruised carcass prevents the bridge from being raised. Another cave dragon arrives, crosses the bridge (completely ignoring the macedwarf currently whaling on its comrade) and then he sees him. The Mule. His dragon heart overflows with hatred. He bullrushes the creature, grabs it by the head, and starts shaking it around, spraying blood all over the place. The human caravan guards promptly surround him and pull his head through his rectum. The mule goes berserk with pain, kicks the human merchant in the lower body, and runs off into the corridor, where it is bisected by a -large bismuth bronse serrated disc-. The macedwarf continues to abuse the dragon. The merchant retches. And then...

The rest of the siege arrives. They slaughter the macedwarf and the guards, but the merchant somehow escapes them. They chase him through the killing corridor, a cage trap dispatches a Hammer Lord, and the rest of the dragons refuse to follow, for some reason. The abused dragon has crawled off somehow, so I drop the goblin stragglers into the pit. The rest of the goblins pass the trap corridor with significant losses (~65%) and engages my military. This is where I found out that my marksdwarf squad hasn't been issued ammunition, and one of my two melee squads has somehow failed to arrive to their positions. The marksdwarves are promptly slaughtered, excepting their captain, who is a badass. The other goblins are dispatched by my BSDM melee squad, The Conquerors of Whipping, but not their leader, whom I shall call Boris (Baseborn Orifice Ravaging Imbecile Sonovabitch), a goblin swordmaster. My remaining five fetishist dwarves chase him around, while the marksdwarf captain has decided to screw off to the hospital for a nap and a refreshing drink.

By now I am sure of my success, being only a Novice DF Player who hasn't encountered a goblin swordmaster in melee before. Well, Boris lops off my militia commander's hand, kills two other dwarves, receiving the title of Boris the Bastard of Eviscerating, before I even notice that something is wrong. In frustration, I decide to flood the corridor to drown him, but fail to account for the fact of the second bridge being lowered (it blocks the water flow when raised), so I only end up muddying everything and spreading merchant vomit all over the place.

In a completely unrelated (I do so swear) accident the living quarters become flooded, preventing my 68 civilian dwarves from sleeping. Everybody is damn miserable already, since we have lost some dozen soldiers plus a half-dozen idiot civilians who got caught outside. Boris finishes mutilating my hapless soldiers, of whom only the militia commander and another macedwarf escape, and decides to just camp in the trade depot with the remaining dragon, since the bridge is raised. I lower the bridge, and he walks off into the sunset, his extremely long hair billowing in the breeze. The dragon remains stationary, since he can't be bothered. The rest of the military goes and shows him his error, losing another hammerdwarf in the process.

The mayor throws a tantrum and deconstructs the second bridge, while some other bastard deconstructs the first. The remaining macedwarf goes berzerk because her husband was killed in the attack. So now she's caught between the first bridge and the second with only some children to keep her company. The fort is in a tantrum spiral.

A Russian adage goes, "Why love, why suffer? I'll go eat and go to sleep". I think I'll follow the advice. If there is a single living being in the fort by morning, I'll make love to my goggles. Do excuse me for the wall of text, I just had to tell someone the whole story.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

VATAV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27822 on: February 16, 2013, 12:48:11 pm »

Hello all! I'm a new user learning how to play.
Just got my first siege, fortress is only in its first winter and no military. :o

71 undead corpses, on the bright side they wiped out all my useless migrants. :P

I'm so lucky I walled off my fortress to keep the migrants out. 8)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27823 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »

I made a fatal mistake.
[...]
 A Russian adage goes, "Why love, why suffer? I'll go eat and go to sleep". I think I'll follow the advice. If there is a single living being in the fort by morning, I'll make love to my goggles. Do excuse me for the wall of text, I just had to tell someone the whole story.
FUN, classic flavour. Thanks for sharing.

VATAV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27824 on: February 16, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »

Another wave of undead just showed up, 99 undead are now here.

Why do the undead keep coming? What did I do to piss off so many undead. :-[
Pages: 1 ... 1853 1854 [1855] 1856 1857 ... 3835