Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788271 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27840 on: February 17, 2013, 01:28:04 am »

Just wait until the undead the goblins killed come back... again.  :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #27841 on: February 17, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »

Well, I haven't got a fort started yet, although I do have a Masterwork world for it.

However, after looking through the Legends, I found out that the resident Dwarvern civilization is hanging on by a thread. It's total population is two. We have our fair queen and our studious general. That is all that is left. The Mountain Halls have been ravaged by ludicrous Automatons hell-bent on removing the Dwarven race from the earth. But fear not! Soon, a group of seven dwarves shall rise from the earth to start civilization anew. I shall call them: The Pheonix Rising.

My goal is to create a fort stable enough to replenish Dwarfdom's population and train enough guardians so that nothing may impede them from becoming the mightiest nation of the world. Heroes shall be born.

I also plan to create an adventurer to aid in this task. Due to the ultra-low population levels, I suspect that he will be one of the first migrants to the new home. Upon his arrival, he shall become the leader of our brave exhibition, and eventually a baron of the kingdom. Under the might of his great war axe, no threat may stand.

This is my hope. Time to strike the earth!

...When I have the time to go through with this plan...
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27842 on: February 17, 2013, 07:01:36 pm »

Well, nothing of note has occurred as of yet. A few kobolds, many dust clouds, and a grey languar assault on the supplies. Just before the languars came in, I had finished the outermost defensive wall and bridge sealing the exit, pulled that lever to keep any from retreating, then let my freshly appointed marksdwarf, macedwarf and speardwarf squads loose on em.

Blood spattered the entryway and the inner courtyard. Just after everyone retreated indoors, a nefarious dust cloud passed right over the fort. Got everyone safe and sealed in, glad to see that the clouds can't penetrate the fort that easily.

Elves brought sun berries, we are swimming in meat from the languars, and I'm planning on contaminating bolts with the dust that collects on the ground.

Auroness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27843 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40:15 pm »

I started a fortress at Year 2, so I could -make- the legends of my world. To begin this, Bigirons was founded. The idea is the king ordered a humble vacation home to be built, but being a royal residence, it couldn't be too humble. 100 dwarfs, give or take a few, have labored for years already, and plans are for many more years of labor to come.

Bigirons has 98 bedrooms for servants and guests. Each room is 5x5, and all walls and floors are smoothed limestone.

There are also 4 suites for nobles. Each suite consists of 4 rooms (roughly 11x11), also smoothed limestone floors and walls. The main suite does have engraved floors.

There are 4 burial chambers to hold 130 for all eternity. As each burial chamber is filled, the door is removed and the wall is filled in. So far 23 dwarfs have made the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the king.

The dining room is 35x35, and holds 64 tables, 76 statues, and room for 30 memorial slabs.

A warehouse area with 10 chambers for finished goods by type, and 7 chambers for furniture by type. This level also has a room for masterwork, and one for artifact storage. Cats and dogs each have a kennel area, with lots of glass windows for passing dwarfs to admire the animals. Another area will hold cage animals for a future zoo.

The Kitchen area has 6 farm plots, including 3 plots in the Greenhouse. 10 storage areas to separate food by type. Several stills and kitchens, as well as other agriculture-related workshops are here. A small chamber greets new arrivals with beds, tables and statues.

The Greenhouse has a ceiling of glass grates 3 z-levels above the garden plots.

Reached by stairs from above, there is a unicural Maze area. This area is separate from the rest of the fortress, so the main areas cannot be flooded. From the entrance to the central chamber is 3200 steps (give or take a few). 5 z-levels above the main maze chamber there is a 1-wide aqueduct connected to the river. The floodgates have been open for 5 years, and the maze is only 3/4 filled. So far a weasel and a stupid merchant have been swept down the canal into the chamber. The merchant was looted, but his body was left to be washed down into the maze.

A single door away from a watery doom is the entrance to the prisons. Each of 13 cells are reached by a floor hatch on the same level as the maze.

The industrial level consists of 25 large chambers, each one can be closed off form the others, in the event of suicidal moods fun. Chambers hold supplies and combinations of workshops.

Leading to the fortress is a paved road that leads nearly to the edge of the map, with walls and a ceiling. This will be improved in the future to make a grand entrance.

Future plans are to add several levels of twisty passages, small rooms, and one way stairs connected to the Water Maze level.

With the exception of the industrial level, kitchens, and warehouse, everything is smoothed limestone floors and walls. Sand, and other stone was removed and replaced if necessary to keep the color scheme going.

Eventually, I will increase the population level, and turn invasions on. Then I might work on the military to protect the fortress, or just let it get overwhelmed and abandon it, leaving an epic structure for future adventurers to uncover.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #27844 on: February 17, 2013, 10:54:46 pm »

Horrors!

I started my new fort, starting at an idyllic location with a waterfall basin, lots of soil, and a decent amount of stone. No wild beasts spawned on the map to kill us all just yet. My group of seven are among the last of their kind, so I was glad to see that no threats loomed, save a few carp in the river below. They may cause trouble eventually, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. Things were looking up, and I quickly and lovingly designed the first floor of my fort, going as far as to make premptive wooden bridge at the entrance, allowing it my dwarves to start digging into the wall on the other side of the canyon.

But I didn't realize that the Masterwork mod wasn't going to let me off so easily...

Halfway through the project, there was an unfortunate... Accident. To save any spoilers, I will simply say that I ran into something particurally nasty. A creature of pure metal, sentinent and beserk. Smith, the poor dwarf who incited the incident was killed almost immediately. Bob the Builder, his building partner was soon spotted by the creature and it set off in hot puruit. Soon, he reached the bridge, where just across the way my dwarves were training. Being military Dwarves of the highest bravery, they swooped at the beast, narrowly saving Bob from it's clutches.

However, bravery was no match for it's metal hide. Though they swept away with their axes, the creature proved to be a nigh impossible foe, akin to a bronze colosus. I rallied my other dwarves and I set them upon the monster as well. Their extra powers proved meaningless more still, as they only had their fists as weapons. Or so I thought.

As luck would have it, the bridge turned out to be the deciding factor. Although they could not harm the beast, they could make it dodge. This is what my black-hearted friend did. It dodged alright... Right into the river valley below. Although it's still alive, it has no way of reaching my dwarves. Victory.

But it is shallow, as it's friend still haunts the hall where I would have built my kingdom. I had the bridge destroyed, thereby preventing any unfortunate accidents caused by cats and the like. I will have to prepare another home, this time without the aid of a second miner. A shallow victory indeed.

As for my hero, Birdwig, he has not yet arrived, nor do I know whether he will be coming. Time can only tell. While I was training him, he suffered a nasty cut to the leg, severing it's nerves. He can't walk anymore, but he was able to crawl to a nearby Dwarvern Fortress. A crutch is waiting for him should he arrive to the fortress proper. We need a hero right now more than ever.
BIRDS.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27845 on: February 17, 2013, 10:58:59 pm »

A cat just adopted a baby. I can't help being slightly disturbed by that.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27846 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:50 am »

I can officially call the decoy depot, and it's pre-defensive measures a success; as well as the re-routeability it can do. Just as well, I underestimated just how deadly even a single deca of spiked balls in a weapon trap are; especially when they're all masterwork quality. And that's just being made of wood. I might upgrade them into green glass when I get the chance; but they successfully fended off a couple goblin thieves, and obliterated a perfectly good emu as well. As a contingency, just in case the first wave battering from 10 spikey balls wasn't enough, I have another at the other end of the decoy gauntlet (my pathfinding predictions have rung true, and it's working it's magic, with a nook aside so crossbowdwarves can get a shot in as well as gobbos and kobolds cross the deathtrap), and so far, in the middle of it (more will come later), I have a 5-by-5 green glass slice-o-matic (5 GrGl corkscrews and serrated discs).

Despite numerous successful trades, I have yet to see an evil force of darkness arrive; but I must say, my progress and sales are a rather tempting target to take on. I just hope my shredder is finished by then. Next thing to add would be a floodgate system to render the deathtrap optional, so my military can work out a bit.

Furthermore, I no longer have to worry about any keas anymore; my land/fort is covered in kea blood by random volunteers and my budding military acting as security. Just as well, I have more than enough food and booze to last a good long time, or a few successful mega-trades (100k I am hoping to reach, for the hell of it; already made 2/3 of it recently, and that's just from green glass trap components alone. I might invest in working on a clear glass industry since I live in a heavily forested biome, so potash shouldn't be hard to make).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:21:39 am by Itnetlolor »

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27847 on: February 18, 2013, 03:13:48 am »

I must actually say that my fortress, amazingly enough, is in quite a good place right now.

Didn't get a siege (which I've had some problems with in the past) until pretty far into the game (I was at around ~130 dwarves when it struck, and normally they hit right when I hit 80), so I had plenty of time to prepare. Nothing fancy, just a moat, a bridge and two fortified towers (each manned by a full squad of marksdwarves), but it has worked wonders with the two sieges I've had so far. Haven't even needed to call on my 2 melee squads, except for some clean-up.

I've also had to kill 2 were-beasts (they seem to like my fortress for some reason), luckily without anyone getting infected.

I'm actually getting to a point right now where I don't really know what to do... Usually I'm busy making bedrooms and stuff, building/placing furniture etc, but now I've reached my max. population of dwarves (200, not including babies) with plenty of rooms to spare, and everything is running pretty much on auto right now. The only problem is that I forgot to make new clothes, and my dwarves are getting grumpy because of it, but I'm mending that at the moment.

I've found the caverns, but there doesn't seem to be anything interesting down there, and I don't feel quite confident enough to go looking for Candy (I think the Clowns will prove to be too much !!FUN!! right now).... Might go looking for iron, since I've never been able to find that (do you need to dig deep for that or what?), but we'll see...

Any suggestions?
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

KalLaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27848 on: February 18, 2013, 03:20:58 am »

After successfully walling myself in after an evil embark (Still figuring out the basics) and recieved a couple wave of migrants I got my first moody dwarf who wants... animal thread :/ so I build a workshop for the shearing and shear a Llama who came in with the last wave, unfortunately the dwarf responsible for processing the wool was busy :/, so the wool reanimated and everyone ran away except for the moody dwarf, screaming about wool. So now he is being attacked by it while I draft up a millitary. YOU BROUGHT THIS ON YOURSELF.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27849 on: February 18, 2013, 04:42:25 am »

Made a fort in a good, hot, no aquifer biome.

No migrants for a month or two, didn't know why. My expedition leader and woodcutter died to wrestling a warthog boar.
Some migrants came, my gem setter made a first artifact - a perfect tigereye, with suede-bound. Still no idea how to use it, but it doesn't matter, cuz...

Dalesman caravan came, and I was like fuck this shit, let's attack them. Made a 15 dwarf squad, killed the most of the guys, but I dunno why - my dwarfs became enraged so they fought each other for the next week. Blacksmith killed two herbalists and an expedition leader, then died to tantrum. Only two dwarfs remained - both of them were so cut, bruised and broken their thoughts and preferences pages were completely red, and both of them layed in a huge pool of blood, unconscious, winded, thirsty and hungry. I was waiting for the fight to resolve, and get to play at least one of the dwarves.

Then a goblin ambush came.

Life sucks.

That was my 3rd fort, the least succesful to be honest. I don't know how to make booze in new Genesis mod, no plump helmets.

And I never ever smelted any ore.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:44:06 am by Ragnarock »
Dabbling Overseer

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27850 on: February 18, 2013, 05:04:47 am »

Was it a dwarf caravan you attacked? Coz that's one of the easiest ways to set off a loyalty cascade.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27851 on: February 18, 2013, 06:07:32 am »

After three years of warfare, the human Nord diplomat came to make peace.
And then a black bear entered the map 2 tiles away from him and ate him.
I guess the war goes on.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27852 on: February 18, 2013, 06:32:22 am »

Was it a dwarf caravan you attacked? Coz that's one of the easiest ways to set off a loyalty cascade.

Nah, they were dalesmen. That's human race in Genesis.
Dabbling Overseer

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27853 on: February 18, 2013, 11:14:03 am »

Might go looking for iron, since I've never been able to find that (do you need to dig deep for that or what?), but we'll see...

Any suggestions?
Iron ore is usually very shallow.  It only occurs in the sedimentary layers (except, rarely, hematite can be found in the igneous intrusive layer).  Typically if you don't find iron ores in the top 15 levels, it's not there at all.  You'll have to buy from caravans, or just wait.  Eventually you will collect enough iron from enemy weapons and armor that you can melt down and make the things you need.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #27854 on: February 18, 2013, 05:12:13 pm »

I have good news and bad news.

The good news, is that my two migrant waves have arrived, bolstering my thin population of 6. I'm not sure if I can expect anymore visitors though. I've run out of booze due to the population, but hopefully my dwarves can wait a little while without it. I made a well, so I at least won't have dehydration. Fish supplies me with any much needed food. I'm planning to move the operation indoor next.

The bad news, is that I keep getting job cancellations from my friend in the river. Blasted fellow is trolling me, even if he can't reach me. The river doesn't freeze so I'm stuck with the blasted thing until I find a creative way of killing him.

The second bad note, is that my adventurer isn't probably going to be coming, although this is most likely my own fault. Still, a bit of a dissapointment. However, my military is slowly training up without him. Two of my dwarves show great potential, so I am going to make them a pair of pretty Silver War hammers to give them something to play with.
BIRDS.

Pages: 1 ... 1855 1856 [1857] 1858 1859 ... 3835