Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787735 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28170 on: March 08, 2013, 03:35:08 am »

[lazy(?) bookkeeper]
Set Expedition Leader as Manager, Broker and Bookkeeper and give him an office. I've never previously bothered with setting precision targets to anything in the beginning, it has always seemed to "work" (default will be the "Lowest" precision, and then the settings screen will say "Your bookkeeper has worked enough to achieve lowest precision" or something, right now it says "... needs to work in an office blabla").

'Lowest' precision takes no work at all. A bookie is only required to do any work if your accuracy settings are higher than that. I've never bothered assigning one without instantly setting a meaningful accuracy target (medium in the first year). Just setting an actual accuracy target should get them in gear as soon as the only alternative is being idle (partying, going on break or picking up a new sock is still more important than starting recordkeeping duties).

I've seen him actively use the office from time to time, but what he's been doing there, I have no idea (and yea, I've checked that I haven't accidently assigned it to him as dining room rather than office).

He's probably eating. A dwarf will grab the nearest chair that belongs to no-one or to themselves to eat a meal. If there's no adjacent table (as may happen in an office, since the room itself requires only the chair), they will then complain about the 'lack of dining tables'.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28171 on: March 08, 2013, 04:24:21 am »

We got a visitor in Cursedmine.

Spoiler: Obok VS Ralh (click to show/hide)

So yeah. Obok had just finished her artifact morning star and was called upon to fight a balrog by virtue of actually not only being the only one topside weith a weapon, but the only member of the militia who wasn't sleeping or getting a drink. It amounted to a bunch of dodging until she took out its left leg and then it turned into a curbstomp battle; Balrogs don't fight so well on thier faces. And honestly, I wish she really had sworded the thing to death. She just skullfucked it with her hand really hard to kill it. Either way it isn't even the end of fucking Slate and I've already had beakwolves try to kill the dorfs and a fucking Balrog. Which a dorf with literally only thier clothes on thier back and a pointy thing took down.

Yes.

Oh, and the population doubled but that really isn't important. A kid grew up though, so.... Meh.

EDIT: I just found out Obok's left ass cheek melted. I laughed way too hard at that when I noticed.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28172 on: March 08, 2013, 07:39:52 am »

Decided to mobilise Gorgeclashed's tame Dragon, "Stettad Fierywarmth The Treasures of Diamond" (awesome name!), to the outside entrance to the fort to get him into the action more often.

First siege, disaster struck, and a Goblin spearman really messed him up. Broken lower spine, lost all his teeth, had his feet and legs damaged badly. However, my military intervened.

At one point I had 5 master Dwarves fighting around 30 Goblins (I lost a Mace Lord and an Axe Lord in the end, but they did pretty well). Things looked dodgy, but then I saw the broken Dragon painstakingly hauling himself forward. Eventually, a huge gout of flame spewed across the trees. My military blocked it with their shields, and the 15 Goblins in front of them seemed unharmed.

Seemed unharmed. After a few seconds, I noticed that the ashen ground was turning a gruesome red with a sheer torrent of blood. The Goblins stumbled backwards, attempting to retreat, blood saturating the grass they stood on. It took a quick check of their Wounds screen to realise that their heads had melted! Ouch!

Currently being besieged again, I'm attempting to move the Dragon indoors so he can enjoy a more peaceful retirement (perhaps behind fortifications). I love the idea of a toothless old Dragon with knackered legs defending the fort though ;)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28173 on: March 08, 2013, 09:05:49 am »

Axehole just had its second artifact, this time made by a metalcrafter who withdrew from society. It's just a bronze cabinet adorned with hanging rings of bronze. Oh well, it'll be good to prop up in the dining hall...once it's built. Work faster, blockbuilding mason slaves!

In other news, we ran out of coke from the bituminous coal we brought on embark. I've sent the miners to breach the magma sea so we can get some magma forges working. I don't remember if I ordered more bituminous coal from the dorf caravan.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28174 on: March 08, 2013, 10:00:28 am »

Metalsnakes is also trying to breach the magma sea. We've found some warm stone, but are unsure of how to proceed and reluctant to get on of our miners fried.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28175 on: March 08, 2013, 11:11:28 am »

My trade airlock needs work, the tall folk probably won't be pleased if their caravans keep getting attacked by goblins as they prepare to leave.

More Migrants! I expected to rebuild the population over decades of births under lockdown but we keep getting migrants which means I have to keep opening the gates or start an external fort.

I've never had a satellite fort before, I think I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Satellite fort would need more immigrants than I get per wave, Also: The dwarven caravan came! The dwarven civ outside is not completely dead after all!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:47:41 am by MrSparky »

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28176 on: March 08, 2013, 02:12:36 pm »

While out of town last weekend, I had some down-time, so I pulled out my netbook (onto which I'd rsynced my Dwarf Fortress directory), genned a pocket world, found an evil tundra and hit `Play Now'. It was only then that I realized I'd left the pony mod installed.

I managed to get my seven, my supplies and my animals safely below ground before they attracted attention from the zombie lesser ponies, so for now the only evidence that anyone living was ever there is a rough stone wall and a few marks in the snow that are slowly being covered up by green goo that falls from the skies. I got the yak bull that pulled the wagon slaughtered and processed without any reanimating mishaps, but I'm trying to keep the lesser pony alive to set up a breeding population.

There's no aquifer and the first cavern turned out to be dry, which has me concerned. I've just hit the second cavern, and it looks like there should be water somewhere, but it remains to be seen if it's sourced off-map.

Yesterday I started getting set up to accept migrants. Hopefully I can get at least one batch in safely.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28177 on: March 08, 2013, 03:43:36 pm »

'Lowest' precision takes no work at all. A bookie is only required to do any work if your accuracy settings are higher than that. I've never bothered assigning one without instantly setting a meaningful accuracy target (medium in the first year). Just setting an actual accuracy target should get them in gear as soon as the only alternative is being idle (partying, going on break or picking up a new sock is still more important than starting recordkeeping duties).

Ah, that clarifies things! Must've remembered incorrectly when I thought that I've previously seen them work in order to achieve lowest, only to then move them on to the next level. I've set it to "Medium" now, so I'll hopefully start seeing some activity soon!

Although I still kinda think this is some sort of get-out-of-work evil masterplan by my former expedition leader, since this whole debacle made me swap him out of the bookie and manager roles, leaving him with only broker (i.e. from fulltime workload to having to only work about one day each quarter). So I'll imagine he's quite pleased with the outcome of this...
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28178 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »

Mirrorspray soldiers on, in this case literally.  I had turtled up to ride out a necromancer siege which went on for a long time when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a goblin siege complete with war jabberers and war cave dragons.  The gobbos blew the undead off the map, at which point my three squads of soldiers girded their dwarvenly loins and flat-out ruined the goblins' day. 

We lost a grand total of two soldiers -- including, alas, the stalward captain of the guard, felled by an arrow from a cowardly elite bowman -- and killed every last mother-lovin' one of the goblins and cave dragons and all but one of the jabberers, a force of 93 enemies all told.

They went from

to

"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28179 on: March 08, 2013, 05:13:04 pm »

I had another legendary militia dwarf fall in the volcano while dodging. I have issued orders to erode the top of the volcano to the point that a floor can be laid to prevent this from happening again. This will probably result in civvies getting scared and maybe injured or even falling in but that's ok now that the mountainhomes are sending replacements again. I'm only having the least useful ones do the dirty work.

... And one of the useless ones just got possessed. great.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28180 on: March 08, 2013, 05:15:40 pm »

I've gotten my bookkeeper working now, huzzah! Highest precision is achieved in less than a season (from lowest), and I know have full insight in my stocks! And with ~3500 prepared meals and ~2500 drinks, I don't think I'll have to worry about my dwarves starving anytime soon!

In other news, the spring melt continues to be a problem, despite me setting the lake and rivers to restricted (max cost) areas, and the paths around it to lowest possible travel cost, my dwarves still seem intent on passing over the lake. Which, especially around 12th of Slate, can be... deadly. Costs me one to three dwarves each year.

This last year I noticed (too late) that it was 9th of Slate, and immediately told my dwarves to burrow inside the compound. No use, it seems, since someone went back out to claim his "personal goods" that he had left somewhere, and passed over the ice just as Armok did his "ice to water in less than two frames"-trick. Interestingly enough, this doesn't just cause the dwarves to drown, it seems to cause them to sink immediately. This particular dwarf was three z-levels down in an instant (the lake is four z-levels deep) and died, as far as I could tell, directly, i.e. not the normal, drawn-out drowning death.

At least this way I can say he didn't die in vain, but rather as an interesting research experiment for !!SCIENCE!!. Might have to repeat the process a couple of years to get reliable data, but that seems to take care of itself at the moment.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #28181 on: March 08, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »

Wow I just whethered a seige from over 50 goblin ax men 13 trolls including a troll ax lord and there was a goblin legendary bowman and a legendary Lasher and a legandary spear Goblin.

and then my one mace lord killed the entire army without even getting hurt!!!

this is what it says about him.

He is basically unbreakable, almost never sick, Very agile, very strong, and very slow to tire
He has an unbreakable will, a great kinesthetic sense, he has a great feel for social relationships, very good focus, a good intellect and good intuition.

He is the tufest guy ever and it i was wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that he never worked and traned 24/7 in a danger room with maximum spears         
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28182 on: March 08, 2013, 06:09:07 pm »

He is the tufest guy ever and it i was wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that he never worked and traned 24/7 in a danger room with maximum spears         
"I wonder if my soldier is really powerful because I trained him in the most exploit-y manner possible?"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28183 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:33 pm »

May just have a slight thing to do with it. Danger roomed soldiers can make for tough troops who can become mighty glacier infantry with lots of armor or without it, into glass cannons. Not quite as satisfying as training soldiers up from scratch but even I got to admit it is damn satisfying seeing just one or two dwarves kick the living shit out of whole sieges.

I personally shun the use of danger rooms myself except in emergencies where even a zerg rush of armed and armored recruits won't win and I don't want to deal with a reclaim.

Spectrelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28184 on: March 08, 2013, 06:23:52 pm »

Jotun? Awesome. What mod?

I'm using Masterwork Mod, but they're originally from Fortress Defense.
Pages: 1 ... 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 ... 3835