Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1878 1879 [1880] 1881 1882 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787370 times)

Drenake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28185 on: March 08, 2013, 07:31:01 pm »

First fort in which I decide to breach and use the caverns cause I embarked on a flat tundra.

A hauler taken by a fey mood when berserk after I completely forgot that he needed some cut gems to become yet another legendary bonecarver... He had time to kill a low level mason and injured a couple of dogs before I released the semi-wild cave crocodile I've been trying to tame.

I have no idea how, but according to the combat log, the crocodile managed to bite the hauler's lower left back teeth and rip them off. Ouch.

Apart from that, the fort is going well !

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28186 on: March 08, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »

I recently started a new fortress for when I feel like being attentive; in place of my 7fps monster that's constantly getting gobbo seiges. One year has passed and:

Dear Mountainhomes:

This spring in Ringcackled will be a tough but fair trial. we've only just started digging the individual apartments when a migrant wave of 31 individuals has chosen to settle here. It's a grand shame as the overseer was hoping to start running magma once the tunnels have been cleared and there is too little room for errors or the juvenile stupidity of new workers.
 Perhaps a couple of the more useless ones will be suitable for the final dig, provided they're not one large family. The magma moat isn't done yet either, nor is the stone floor preventing fires from reaching the soon to be "safe" pastures above ground. The outer wall itself is not even half finished, and the obsidian casting chamber hasn't even been started. At least there are few children and administrators running underfoot, though a medic of some sort would be far more handy than a "dedicated" architect.

There is a breeding pair of baby alpaca's to work with and a workshop above ground must be built until we can safely tap into the caverns. A smelter has recently been set up to make the first steel anvil, and to melt some separated steel arrows as part of preparations for the magma forges. I suppose I should warn the newly arrived hunters that hunting is off-limits during the major build. I must also choose my team of dedicated food processors now; I suppose as now I can afford a few moments of loitering, and dedicated food haulers. Soon we will see if the elves would bother to show up, and trade a few extra mechanisms to maintain our food stores until the farmers can truly utilize their craft. Perhaps they might bring an animal worth buying? I suppose soon a Mayor must be chosen too, the overseer will not be happy- unless the mandates aren't an insult to the fort. That is enough of a status report as I need to start screening the migrants before they get restless.
signed - Etur Zonubas

PS. Can I kill that useless wort of a manager? His suggestions have really started to piss me off!
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28187 on: March 09, 2013, 06:58:07 am »

I've been working on a fort that was supposed to be something of a throwaway -- practice a building style for a bit before moving onto a site with lots of undead neighbors.

There have been a surprising lack of goblin ambushes to test my lackluster defense.

So I decide to start digging up pillars of adamantine. I start digging down from (what I believe to be) the second cavern... I see three layers of diorite, then 94 layers of completely featureless granite (at least in the 5x3 rectangle I can see while digging my 3-wide staircase.

That is a lot of featureless granite.

But anyways, I hit the magma sea, and see two nearby adamantine spires. So I dig horizontally to two layers over the pillar in preparation to start digging down into it.

While that's happening I go manage my fort elsewhere... and am rudely surprised by the discovery of an eerie cavern and horrible screams. After digging out one tile of adamantine -- and even then in the middle of a designation that I had every reason to believe was all granite.

But it's just as well; the circus is 14 layers down, plenty of time for my miner to build an adamantine wall to seal the gap, and I get to see all of the hollow squares now!

Okay, that's all normal enough; I go up a level to see if the spire goes up, so as to avoid more rude surprises. Okay, still there... and again.... 41 layers above where I breached the tube, the spire is still going; and I only had partial vision of that layer, which means it's probably still going.

I guess I might as well shore up and plan to keep this fort now.... I've never really set up magma forges with a serious intent to use them before, particularly with skilled metalsmiths of all types, and the last time I did a lot of adamantine work was in a fort that I had sealed myself in the third cavernwithout an anvil!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:02:50 am by Hurkyl »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28188 on: March 09, 2013, 08:12:48 am »

A goblin ambush happened, fairly standard stuff. A bridge trap launched a goblin hammerman into a tree, so he's just lying there, seeing as he can't get down due to his broken legs, bruised guts, fractured arm, stuff like that. All I lost was a single marksdwarf. The tree is right in front of my fortress entrance, and the marksdwarf mutilated corpse is a few meters past that.
My civilian dwarves are all like, WE MUST BURY OUR VALIANT SOLDIER!Plus, I really like his socks. Then they see the hammerman puking in a tree, and they're like OH GOD THAT IS THE GROSSEST THING I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE and run away. Then they remember the socks and run back, see the gobbo again, rinse and repeat. As a result, they have generated over 9000 announcements, and the LAVA MOAT BRIDGE (Did I mention we at Groovedtown have that?) is swarming with dwarves.
And now, my legendary engraver tantrums, because, apparently, the deceased marksdwarf was his only friend. He goes and deconstructs the bridge, dropping 30+ dwarves into the LAVA MOAT.
I am kind of impressed, really. THAT is how you rise against the system that forced your only friend into the army and then got him killed in another meaningless goblin ambush! Changed his profession to "Magnificent Bastard". Am currently watching the pretty colors.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:29:06 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28189 on: March 09, 2013, 09:04:19 am »

So I wanted to see how much further my adamantine spire went. I went up a level above, and very carefully worked out what squares were absolutely safe so I could dig around it.

I go to actually designate part of the way around. My actual clicks were off by one from my calculations. In the wrong direction. :( Bye bye fort.

(I downloaded DFHack and used reveal; the spire did indeed go all the way up to the third cavern, so it was 100 Z-levels tall)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:34:30 am by Hurkyl »

MightyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28190 on: March 09, 2013, 10:24:25 am »

I just repelled a huge orc siege : more than 80 mofos at screen rushing wildly toward my bridge, with plenty of spearmen, hammermen, swordmen and elite bowmen, a little more than a dozen of trolls + the troll leader and the orcish general. My military consisted of 6 (very) well trained (no danger room though) and equipped teams of two warriors (no bowdwarfs, no weapon traps either, and no more than 8 cage traps for the muppet training). I lost only one speardwarf in the commotion (he tried to face alone an entire squad of bowmen and was caught under an intense and deadly fire, despite all my effort to move him elsewhere). One of my spearmaster decapitated the orcish general in a short and brutal duel ; and one of my toughest axemaster single-handily contains a swarm of 10 trolls who made it right into the guard-tower. They fought on the ramparts and it was raining troll blood, teeth and body limbs on the downward slopes. Now I feel proud.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:27:13 am by MightyDorf »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28191 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:41 am »

Hit the magma sea. I've found a good way is to dig exploration shafts across some z-levels above the molten rock until you hit the uppermost level of warm stone, then dig out the area one z-level above that warm stone and then channel down.

The miners in Axehole are digging out the temporary magma forges and smelters now. I say temporary because they're located just above the magma sea due to my not having time or resources or patience to build a pump stack. Due to the depths of the forges, it will be horribly inefficient in terms of haulers hauling metal and goods back and forth, but the recent migrant wave shows we at least have more volunteers to haul the junk. The magma forges will be used when the coke stocks run out for the above ground forges.

The miners also discovered the adamantine pillar. I'll get to digging that up once the whole aboveground complex is finished.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28192 on: March 09, 2013, 01:08:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sparrows in the winter skies, first sighting of the flying singers for all as the walls grow higher.

A resounding boom echoes through the quarry, the ground shakes.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28193 on: March 09, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »

Axehole just had a failed mood. One of the masons went fey yet refused to grab any of the cut gems we had and we didn't have any yarn cloth or methods to get yarn; the fool mason decided to go fey after the dorf caravan left. He went stark raving mad and is now running around somewhere underground.

The other masons are pumping out stone blocks. The fortified ballista bunker has been built and wood ballista bolts are being built and stored in the same bunker. The first floor wood walls are being replaced with marble blocks as drfs begin flooring the second level, which shall contain the dining hall and proper food workshops.

Bought loads of leather, silk cloth and thread, and some cassiterite and hematite from the second dorf caravan. More bronze is being smelted and shaped into armor for the extra melee units, and leather cloaks are being made for all troops to wear.

Axehole is getting a bit of a baby boom. New children are constantly getting spawned, and the population is slowly but surely nearing that 80 dwarves threshold.

One of the axedwarfves grew attached to his bronze battle axe. I guess it was all the training, they have yet to see real combat yet. No ambushes since the first beating of elves last year by the Spears of Heart. My guess is that they're waiting to siege us.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28194 on: March 09, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »

The support failed and the lofty weight crashed into the broken excavations, plummeting the construct onto the ground so below the sun's gaze.

Subterranean echoes upon echoes resonating as it encountered less resistance than planned for. There were caverns ahead.

Like a dark haze that blankets the sky, the great expanse was choked by stone.

LIFE IN THE NEXT LAYER! Spores and seedlings, crops and fungus for the future! Soon the tree farms will prosper, grown from lifeless stony channels.

Webs torn and flung apart hang in the air (however did they get there?).

Into the ground, dig deeper! Silentthunders roars!

Casualties: 0
Total dust plume height: 20zlvls above cavern impact

SUCCESS!

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28195 on: March 09, 2013, 03:07:23 pm »

My new fort has got off to a disasterous start. I started in a savage biome with metal dense soils. Everything is trying to kill me.

1. First of all, I somehow ran out of beer in the first year or two. This caused serious problems until I was able to trade a ton of crappy rock crafts for beer from the Dwarven caravan. I then tried to sell the Elven caravan a wooden bin by mistake, so they left me totally without live-saving supplies.

Coffins filled: 5, starvation and dehydration...plus one Miner fell to his death while digging a channel (idiot!)

2. Population: 30. Finally got enough beer and farms. What happens now?

Huge Goblin ambushes. I'm talking like 3 ambushes simultaneously, from blobs of hardcore Gob Axemen and the like. No idea why, because my Fort is really bloody meagre, the only wealth is in a couple of artifacts I've produced. My developed fort didn't take anywhere near such a pasting.

Anyway, the first ambush killed the Elven trade party (KARMA!), then killed my entire military (three rookies), then one Axeman managed to get past my drawbridge and killed half of the children in the fort. This horrific massacre was only halted when my Miner decapitated the rampaging Goblin with her pickaxe. Narrowly avoided a tantrum spiral by throwing up mass graves.

3. Population: 23. Coffins filled: 12+ (plus being the merchants). Absolute slaughter of an entire much-needed migrant wave, because more Gob ambushes forced me to raise my drawbridges. This included an Expert Swordsdwarf who could have been really useful had he got inside the fort before being chopped into pieces! Engraving slabs like crazy.

At present I'm trying to turn my wood stocks into menacing spikes so that the surviving Dwarves have a hope against the marauding Goblins when I lower the bridges again, but I'm not too hopeful :\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:11:36 pm by StubbornAlcoholic »

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28196 on: March 09, 2013, 03:17:22 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Sizir Genlathedir has come! A towering skinless sauropod. It has wings and it undulates rythmically. Beware its webs!

well I haven't started building a military yet so I'm glad I sealed the caverns once I cracked them. I have enough problems with giant grasshoppers and lorikeet people right now... I haven't even gotten to my second dorf caravan yet, much less gobbos. I suppose it's time to really start cranking out copper arrows though. and increase cat breeding, I need some good distractions for my web rooms once I build them. Strange, I don't have an artifact buildable yet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:02:14 pm by Necrisha »
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28197 on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:41 pm »

While the migrants we've taken in recently have helped to improve the workflow slightly, the FPS is getting a bit low and I'm pondering just giving up this site. We're still getting more from the corpses of invaders than we can process between waves and the sealing of the caldera has been postponed indefinitely.

The 5 significant non-melted members of the military have an average of better than 75 notable kills each and are all L+5 in their weapon and as fighters.
They can't kill us but they can bury us in their corpses, clothes, and assorted body parts.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #28198 on: March 09, 2013, 06:58:36 pm »

I finally lured a nasty creature out of the river that kept causing job cancellations! My fort is finally able to function "normally".

However, my FPS has grinded to a halt. My dwarves move very slowly... Possibly due to the three waterfalls that are in the nearby vicinity.

Does anyone know a good way to clog a river so I can get back to normal levels?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28199 on: March 09, 2013, 09:11:08 pm »

Axehole is definitely having a babyboom. 9 children have been born so far, all in only a few short ingame days. The population has risen to 78 now, I'm just waiting for two more boozesponges accompanied by a celebratory squad of goblins.

In other news, the dwarf who got the most kills during the "Elf Beating of 126" is now known as Endok Paddledent the Aquamarine Blush of Trees. How incredibly fitting, the fellow's gotten nothing but elf kills, total of 15, with 6 from the Elf Beating of 126, and he is an axedwarf, albeit armed with a wooden training axe. He's more of a rich blue than an aquamarine, he'd have to be a sworddwarf to be aquamarine, but it's still a shade of blue.

A kobold thief was found skulking into the barracks. He got a couple of bone bolts and a bronze halberd and axe lopping off his limbs as thanks. Astesh Carnagemine stole the kill by shooting the thief in his left hand before he bled out. Astesh has earned his namesake.

Pages: 1 ... 1878 1879 [1880] 1881 1882 ... 3835