Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1880 1881 [1882] 1883 1884 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787858 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28215 on: March 10, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »

Started my first Good aligned Fortress, Lashchasms, doing pretty fine so far, I am admiring all the new things. I just saw my first herd of Unicorns, magnificent as they are, I didn't do anything to/with them, honestly, I was scared.
You should be. Evil eye gouging bastards.
Good skull smashing bastards. They are from good aligned biomes after all.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28216 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:32 pm »

Axehole is CRAWLING with elves! Even worse, it's crawling with elves mounted on war polar bears! Ambushes keep springing up! The main problem is that I made the mistake of letting my melee quads chase after the retreating polar bear squad of scouts into the outdoors, the elves' natural habitat! I can't keep track of the chaos, there's too many small battles going on at once and my bronze-clad militia is spread thin amongst the swarm of blinking "e" and "B" tiles.

We have the assistance of marksdwarf and bowdwarf squads providing crippling shots to polar bears from above, although a few bowdwarfs managed to run out and engage the enemy in close combat; I made the mistake of not locking the doors to keep the shooters in their bunkers.

The elves have the strength of numbers, however, and the bonus of polar bears, a total of 97 troops total. I think I'll lock the front doors, send for the manning of the ballista, and wait to see what happens. The melee dwarves total around 15 or so...
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28217 on: March 10, 2013, 10:13:53 pm »

Just lost a fort to one suspended wall...

I'd gotten all the cavern walled off with a single level of fortifications, when I got an announcement about an FB. Aha, I thought, now I can see if it'll spawn in the water or on top of the fortifications. Turns out I'd missed a section and it spawned on land, but that doesn't really matter here. I checked it out -- webber, non-flying. Nasty, but it could be kept away from the fortress while I set up a proper trap for it. I'd modded SILK_TEMPLATE to take no heat damage and have the combat properties of copper, but with silk's usual density (all raw-editable creatures were shunted over to STANDARD_SILK_TEMPLATE, which has the properties of vanilla silk). So I really wanted to catch it, and not hang back and turtle while I handed out crossbows to everyone.

At the time there were two entrances to the cavern, one major entry that linked much of the heavily-flooded cavern together via narrow corridors threaded through the rock, and one semi-abandoned entrance granting access to the southern swathe of the cavern. Before I even unpaused the game announcement, I set into motion my cunning plan. The southern entrance would be sealed where it met the rock, and the northern entrance would be blocked off by rampless channels, plus a few tiles of wall near the lake edges (there were a few rocks nearby, but not enough to cover the whole area. Digging would be quicker). Unlike the southern entrance, the northern entrance couldn't be designated all at once. The walls needed to be built in a certain order, and the deramping would have to wait after the channelling. I'd need to supervise closely, and stop key dwarves from wandering off to stockpile things. Finally there were just a couple of ramps to be dug to stop some stray diagonal access, and I followed the miner anxiously through the last Y-shaped tunnel, watching as she narrowly avoided being tripped and slowed by a stray horse before descending the last staircase.

Wait a minute, I thought. I don't have any horses.

One quick check later, and it was confirmed -- that was no horse. The beast was still in the tunnel linking the two entrances and the fortress, and very close to the fortress itself. But the barracks were near the staircase, and if the creature was engaged on the stairs then perhaps it wouldn't have full use of those webs. Unfortunately, it was really, really fast, and got to the top of the stairs just as the soldiers did. The fortress at this point was a couple of large rooms dug out of a couple of little hillocks on the site, linked by a short subterranean corridor and vaguely resembling an hourglass. The staircase was at the pinch of this hourglass, on the route between the dining room and the food stockpile and within spitting distance of the meeting area. And oh how that FB spat its webs. Thirty dwarves to five, in five to thirty seconds. I expected the slaughter to finish in an instant more, but the FB was preoccupied with a poult too small for it to hit and looked to be locked in place. I wanted to know how it had gotten in, as I'd been watching the only entrance. Thinking back to where I'd initially seen it, it must have come from the south. I trace the path from the tunnel to the caverns... and find a suspended construction across the mouth of the southern entrance. Somebody must have gone to build it, stumbled into one of the scattered GCS webs, and suspended the job with me missing the announcement and being too focused on the north to double-check it.

I have no idea how they managed to find that one quisling web, as they were walking that area when building the fortifications there and the building material was right on top of the construction site. Maybe it was something else, but I have no idea about that either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28218 on: March 10, 2013, 11:00:22 pm »

EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

I am so sigging that!

Anyways- My fort in it's sixth year: the really slow one that's being killed by the shear amount of stuff brought in by goblin christmas managed a whole siege with no casualties. The one that died from infection doesn't count as he's a leftover from two sieges ago. Yes my Mr. Shattered has finally died after having every body part sutured, dressed, immobilized and two limbs put in traction. The poor bastard died of infection due to a damaged ear, as that was the only injury that was never cleaned... I will have to make an engraved slab as a memorial in the hospital in addition to moving him out of the hastily made mass tomb and into somewhere more suitable.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28219 on: March 10, 2013, 11:11:31 pm »

Migrants. So. Many. Migrants. At this rate we'll be ready to start sealing the caldera by the 30th anniversary of the founding in a little over 2 years.

With all the migrants our booze supplies have dropped from being enough for 25 years to only enough for 10. I've assigned a couple planters and a brewer to remedy this. A decade of supplies is too shortsighted!

The militia needs an overhaul, I need to split the melee squad into multiple smaller squads preferably according to weapon. I also need to get the marksdwarf squad operational, which will be a headache and a half. We won't have the dwarf power or resources to supply quality weapons and armor until we're done smelting goblinite. Even then it'll still be iron armor, there is no flux to be had here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28220 on: March 10, 2013, 11:24:04 pm »

Iron is better than nothing. i once had a volcano fort that had literally only gold and silver.

So I modded the raws and had an army that eventually became mighty glaciers after many deaths. Masterwork gold and silver armor does a better job than you'd think it would in a pinch. Stupid goblins ever brought much besides mail shirts and maybe breastplates that I had them throw on under the breastplates.

Got a squad of human troops together to defend a pony fort (Modded raws ftw.) I figure the fact they have hands will put them at a distinct advantage over their equine allies and enemies, what with the ability to use bigger weapons or shields. I'm a little worried about thier first test of battle. I don't expect any of these poor shlubs to survive.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28221 on: March 10, 2013, 11:29:46 pm »

Why didn't you just melt down the goblins' equipment and forge it into useful, non-mailshirt pieces?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28222 on: March 10, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »

Never enough. So I figured fuck it. Bling of war. Militia commander had a platinum war hammer .

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28223 on: March 11, 2013, 07:02:49 am »

Ze rezistance is flourishing under ze human town. We have managed to smuggle many new activists into our midst.  Zere are now enough of us zat I expect ze goblins will arrive in great numbers and take on ze humans leaving lots of metal for recycling.  We have only found galena and sphalerite under ze ground, so even goblin copper will be welcome.

Once ze first goblin vs human war has ended we will rise up and seize ze human town, and trade away all ze stupid human trinkets for iron and steel so we can forge a new empire for ze dwarves

(Explanation: We embarked inside a building in a human fortified town (using just_embark.exe), promptly locked all the doors and dug down. Receiving merchants and migrants has been challenging, but I've been looking forward to watching a goblin invasion in a human town while the dwarves wait for the right moment to jump out.  FPS started at 21, dropped to 14 and has crept back up to 17 lately as cats, geese and human populations are going down.  Oh yeah, traps don't work on the town residents)

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28224 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:13 am »

The outpost Shetbęthreg -- "Twinkleglove" -- was founded to be a minor outpost. A squad of military dwarves with few civilian skills; just enough to make beds and basic furniture, and keep fed and boozed from turkeys and a small farm. It would stay small, attracting a handful of migrants to act as support, and then focus on military training for once, then maybe go bully the caverns once I'm set up.

In retrospect, equipping 7 dwarves with full bronze armor and weapons generates a lot of wealth. Especially when my proficient weapon/armorsmith has a preference for bronze.  Building my whole fort in a pair of fully mined-out silver veins was probably not the best way to avoid attracting migrants either.

On the bright side, I managed to attract a vile force of darkness at the end of year two to test my military. A squad of goblin hammerers, brutally crushed by my ten bronze-clad dwarves, who didn't even sustain injury. My military has also been favored with two artifact shields: a cow bone buckler "the Pinnacle of Hames" and a mule leather shield "Whippraised the Purge of Wind". I also have an artifact silver mace "Basicprice the Turquoise Sheen"; unfortunately my military is all hammerdwarves. (and an artifact granite earring)

I never set up my agriculture to support a large population, so I have a food and booze crisis looming on the horizon. The elf caravan has delayed it by supplying me with over 300 berries and assorted brewable plants, however!

So now, it's Summer of my third year, and I'm in command of a "minor" outpost of 125 dwarves packed mostly into a few silver veins in the corner of the map. I'm in the process of digging out a grand new fortress that I've always imagined making, but never managed to do. Grand entrance hall, elaborate depot and administrator district, linked stockpiles for moving goods around, tunnels/mine tracks connecting the central fort to woodcutting outposts. Maybe I'll  even manage to dig out enough space for my industries for once! (and elaborate bedroom complex and dining room, but I often have that).

Hopefully I'm not wiped out by this year's siege!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:46:57 am by Hurkyl »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28225 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:20 am »

My first dragon arrived. It burnt a hunter so badly I couldn't even find the corpse. But by luck the hunter struck it in the foot.

It could not go past my entrance shower and stayed there until my squads charged and stabbed it to death. None was hit by the dragon fire.

I felt amazing... until a minotaur ran in, then I didn't feel amazing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:18:08 am by Boltgun »

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28226 on: March 11, 2013, 09:54:26 am »

Hopefully I'm not wiped out by this year's siege!
The siege was a piece of cake. The problem was the idiot civilians that decided that drinking from the brook across the map was a good idea. I'm learning that what I thought that "tantrum spiral" meant was only a pale imitation....

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28227 on: March 11, 2013, 01:28:05 pm »

Got a squad of human troops together to defend a pony fort (Modded raws ftw.) I figure the fact they have hands will put them at a distinct advantage over their equine allies and enemies, what with the ability to use bigger weapons or shields. I'm a little worried about thier first test of battle. I don't expect any of these poor shlubs to survive.
Hmmm, this sounds like a human-in-equestria fanfic. If one of the humans develops a romance with a pony you'll have to nuke the site from orbit before they lay eggs.

--------------------------------------------------

Axehole has repelled the "Great Elf Swarming of 127" The archerdorfs have proven themselves invaluable for crippling enemy troops, as seen by the number of unconscious/crippled/crawling polar bears out front. Only one meleedorf was lost, due to his idiocy of wearing a wooden mail shirt rather than the bronze and getting himself mauled by a bear as a result; it may be we don't have enough full suits of armor for all dwarves. The melee dwarves are being sent out to clean house and then construction of the fort shall continue where we left off as the haulers make themselves useful and haul the corpses and wood armor indoors.

Some renovation will have to be made, the ammo stocks will be moved to the fortification for archerdwarves to have on hand and the armor/weapons stocks will be moved to replace the ammo stocks' previous location, next to the barrackses. (barracksi?) The chokepoint corridor isn't long enough, the siege operator fled his post right as the elves entered the corridor.

EDIT: And to commemorate this victory over the elven hordes a jeweler has crafted a beautiful artifact amethyst statue known as Chopflooded the Brown Ford. It's a statue of the dwarven king of the Incidental Fortifications being crowned by dwarves in year 1, built from a single amethyst, and is valued at 84000 dwarfbucks.

I know one thing that's going in the dining hall.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:45:30 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28228 on: March 11, 2013, 03:04:36 pm »

I had high hopes for Metalpalace. As usual I dorfed myself in the hopes of tracking my line over generations. The goal was to build a tower out of precious metals, starting with rose gold on the bottom floor since it was what my dwarf liked best. I embarked on an island so the goblins couldn't spoil things, but I forgot about the possibility of other visitors.

A giant fire breathing snail showed up and started nuking everything. I had a couple of marksdwarves but they were incinerated within seconds. I drafted all the miners and they too burned to a crisp. The jungle is a pile of ash now and useless for fuel. Most of the children are on fire. Worst of all, my dwarf's wife bled to death, so now he will remain childless. This defeats the purpose of the fort, so I decided to quit.

I'm impressed though. I've never had so many things on fire at once.

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28229 on: March 11, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »

Nothing much. The Kea-Men and some giant Keas attacked my above-ground fort of Sternirons, killed the mayor, and stole some stuff. My legendary mace/hammer dwarves were useless to help, since they fly, but now I've got some archers for next time....
Pages: 1 ... 1880 1881 [1882] 1883 1884 ... 3835