Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787123 times)

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28230 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:30 pm »

It's a sad day in Splashcanyon. We were ambushed, which normally is no problem since all gates are well protected by enough traps to kill pretty much anything, and it's in the middle of winter so the fisherdwarves have no reason to go outside the walls (since everything is covered in ice).

But alas, the hunters do... All my hunters are legendary (I only have five though), which made me panic even more when one of them stumbled upon the ambush. He got away and headed for the fortress... and ran straight into another ambush. Amazingly enough though, he managed to, yet again, run away, and soon reached the relative safety of the walls.

Meanwhile, I had ordered my military squads to station INSIDE the trap and walls perimeter. They must've misheard me though, because one axedwarf immediately charged outside and died. Followed by (and this is where I got sad) my marksdwarf militia captain, who also bit the dust... To avoid more losses I had to cancel the station command, at which point they finally stopped sacrificing themselves.

After that, the ambushers started running into the traps and hail of bolts from the rest of the marksdwarves, so by then it was just mop-up operations.

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed that while all this was happening, I seem to have caught two goblin snatchers in my cage traps. I know just what to do with them. Revenge... Sweet, sweet revenge...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:28:03 pm by Flanderbland »
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Beautiful Doom Unicorn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28231 on: March 11, 2013, 03:36:16 pm »

It's the late winter of the year 149 in Whitewall. The mews of a stray kitten wandering near the frozen river alerted the fortress to the approach of a small goblin ambush. The civilians retreated to the safety of their indoor burrow while the military waited for the goblins to stroll into a line of cage traps. The goblin leader, imprisoned by the first line of traps, caused the goblins to cease their approach and mill around the entrance to the fort. Working up their courage, Anne Ducimothol and several of her comrades descended on the loitering goblins and handily dispatched them with bronze and copper swords. Alas, in the battle, Anne's foot was lopped off by an iron battle axe. Her leather boot was no help.

Anne crawled her way back to the barracks and sits there, bleeding. The Chief Medical Dwarf stands around with no job near the fully stocked Hospital. No dwarf has elected to rescue the wounded Anne. She'll probably be bleeding to death shortly.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #28232 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50:06 pm »

*embarks* Happens too have embarked right next to A titan Lair... Said titans spews webs: said titan murdered everyone.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #28233 on: March 11, 2013, 04:00:29 pm »

A baby had a block fall on it from a deconstructing floor one z-level above. Handily enough, it was in the hospital, and the baby is now checked in with a broken leg and giving my doctors some practice. For once the kid is actually useful for something other than meatshields.

Axehole is all done cleaning up elf guts. I'm disappointed you can't butcher war-mounts; there's many many named polar bears rotting in the refuse stockpiles. I guess they were part of the elven civ in the same way trolls are a part of goblin civs and as a result the dwarves refuse to butcher them. Oddly enough, there has been next to no goblin activity yet, it's nothing but elf attacks. The only goblin to show himself was a master thief who promptly ate an artifact bronze spiked ball for lunch.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28234 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »

That's weird, my dwarves will routinely butcher war mounts if there are shops closeby enough. Maybe you didn't have enough workshops? I know I never do after mounts get involved.

Had a few kids be born while I wasn't looking. Three in total. Masterwork has the little bastards grow up at 6 though so it won't be so bad. I won't be sending them into a fight until they're 12 at least but at least by six I can have them smoothing floors and shit.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28235 on: March 11, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »

Guardedseal just got it's first Forgotten Beast. And it was a pretty badass one actually.

"The Forgotten Beast Tob Setnuushmal has come! A great hairy bristleworm. It has thin wings of stretched skin and it appears to be emaciated. It's jade hair is short and even. Beware its poisonous sting!"

It's sting wasn't very poisonous at all, however it happened to sting two of my civvies in the head, causing instant death. It then bit another one in the head. Dead.

At this point my military intercepted it and fought it for ages. Somehow it was able to wrestle my Macedwarf using it's wings, and it broke all his limbs (lol). Fortunately it took so long maiming the poor guy (killed him with a headbite in the end) that my more competent soldiers were able to maim it's internal organs and cut the wings and stinger off. Eventually they killed it, but it was by far the longest FB battle I've seen, the beast seemed to have never ending fat for the swords to slice through.

The huge corpse is being hauled slowly to the butcher now. Kind of wondering if that's a good or bad thing. Anyone want to eat hairy, poisonous worm meat for the next eight months? No? :D

--

Oh, and almost forgot, my militia captain named his Iron Sword afterwards and gave it quite possibly the most ridiculously cool name I've ever seen a weapon possess: "Moralrite the Turquoise Blizzard". A morally just blade that attacks with the ferocity of an icy storm. Win!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:57:41 pm by StubbornAlcoholic »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28236 on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:30 pm »

The ferrics now choose to show their hide! A dozen or so of the bastards lead by a crossbowelf have laid siege in some fashion to the fortress. Honestly at the moment the gray languars have done more than the have and they all got caged. As did some snakes. Not really sure why their commander is just chilling in my river in a shallow part.

I was kinda hoping they'd run up and get pincushioned by the normal elf caravan guards.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28237 on: March 11, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »

Fortress is approaching it's 90th year. Mega progect is complete and pending a demonstration when enough races seige at once. Going to breach the circus and set up a bunker down there to see if the accidental FPS-proof clown-trap prevents any more from ever wandering in from the edges.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28238 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:24 pm »

Fortress is approaching it's 90th year. Mega progect is complete and pending a demonstration when enough races seige at once. Going to breach the circus and set up a bunker down there to see if the accidental FPS-proof clown-trap prevents any more from ever wandering in from the edges.
Wow. What have you built that's taken so long?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28239 on: March 11, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »

Obok Balrogslayer and Sergeant Mistem, wielder of an artifact iron morningstar, have engaged the ferric menace!

Already three lie dead and a fourth has had a leg severed while a fifth lays out cold about to receive a heavy-handed mace upside the head. That crossbowman is the chief concern; I have no idea how high a firing angle he has from the riverside and one lucky shot on either of them and it's over. Their helmets won't stop the crushing force of a silver maul.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28240 on: March 11, 2013, 06:10:59 pm »

Things go well, 3 ambushes tried to take the dwarven caravan by surprise. Little did they know my fort conceals quite a formidable tiny milita.

An epic battle ensured on the hillside, many goblins and limbs flew off the cliffs, and the goblins were killed to a man by the 4 axelords and 2 spearmasters. The caravan guards helped a little, but didn't see much action due to my quick and efficient milita.

Oh, and my dwarves seem to have an interest in trapping themselves in cages for some reason. Don't know how, but they keep winding up in my animal stockpile, above the arena pit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:43:14 pm by Lich180 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28241 on: March 11, 2013, 06:18:28 pm »

The enemy was routed and the battle yielded a swordmaster. I have also found her title from killing the visitor before is thus: The Destruction of Boldness. While Obok killed few, she swung her sword around fending off maces she has gained skill rapidly. Sergeant Mistem did the bulk of the actual killing, able to deliver enough force on the spikes of the morningstar to punch through the crude helmets of the ferrics.

Fitting title Obok got in a sense, I guess.
Mistem is now known to the ferrics as the Ghoulish Flax of Polishing. Ehhh....

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28242 on: March 11, 2013, 07:28:48 pm »

A forgotten beast attacked Metalsnakes. Kor, the giant, winged ice humanoid. He had poisonous vapor, which turned out to merely dizzy it's victims and put them to sleep. Two ten-dwarf squads rushed the icy devil, and spent damn near a month periodically whacking away at it and napping in front of it. Luckily Kor was very fond of his vapor, electing not to punch or kick, but just exude free drugs for everyone until the soldiers eventually took him apart piece by piece. No deaths, only one dwarf suffered a head burn somehow. Now it's back to dumping all the old clothes into the atom smasher and building the vampire's apartment.

Which brings me to a question: is there any downside to a vampire bookkeeper AND mayor, if he's sufficiently locked away behind bars and given fresh clothes when needed? I wanna know if I should let him socialize or lock him off completely.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28243 on: March 11, 2013, 07:56:41 pm »

Damn those lashers. A squad of them, along with some bow- and axe- goblins ambushed us this winter. The spear squad was the first to arrive,  and as the lashers were cut down, one got a lucky shot in on one of the speardwarves. He had his shoulder and arm broken from the lashers (-iron whip-), and proceeded to stab the fuck out of the one who wounded him, and was joined by his squadmate.

His squadmate is his wife, and I assume she was pretty damn pissed, and in a rage she finished off the goblin by impaling him in the head. Her husband is now recuperating from his wounds, and is continually visited by his wife who sleeps by his side and rarely leaves.

Touching.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28244 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:40 pm »

Damn those lashers. A squad of them, along with some bow- and axe- goblins ambushed us this winter. The spear squad was the first to arrive,  and as the lashers were cut down, one got a lucky shot in on one of the speardwarves. He had his shoulder and arm broken from the lashers (-iron whip-), and proceeded to stab the fuck out of the one who wounded him, and was joined by his squadmate.

His squadmate is his wife, and I assume she was pretty damn pissed, and in a rage she finished off the goblin by impaling him in the head. Her husband is now recuperating from his wounds, and is continually visited by his wife who sleeps by his side and rarely leaves.

Touching.

I had a similar situation
Legendary Speardwarf Meng, due to danger room
Her niece migrates, also Meng
Meng becomes legendary axedwarf

The two of them destroy my first goblin siege, 20 goblins, general on a cave crocodile
Only 3 goblins escape
First meng, keep dodging even when crippled, and then bleeds out
Second meng also bleeds out, but not before dismembering many goblins, tearing a path to her aunt
Strangely, they survived 20 goblin lashers (silver, iron, steel whips and scourges)
I wanted to make a squadron of lashers (due to whips reportedly being deadliest due to their tiny contact area), but I noticed the fort was on the verge of tantrums, without any nice items to prevent it

At Ralidrath (cannot remember our translation).....
I believe our expedition leader should declare an event, known as "The Running of The Poults"
It all started with a turkey hen locked up in a room with a nest box
One dwarf two months later unlocked the door, and immediately, 140 poults began racing outwards from the next box
Hallways became flooded
Dwarves ran for their FUN
After a while, they were cornered and put into a singular cage in the primary meeting room, for the enjoyment of all
They would be allowed to grow up, and hens would be taken to the next boxes, while males would be slaughtered

It was declared a "Running of The Chicks" and a "Running of the Kobold Children" would eventually be planned too

EDIT: It was discovered The Dyes of Mourning, the government local to Ralidrath, has the symbol Kobold Bulb
Two Rat Weeds are the symbol of Ralidrath, which is now known as The Channels of Allying
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:29:27 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 3835