Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842928 times)

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28560 on: April 01, 2013, 07:38:00 pm »

Every time I unpause, another snatcher / thief is run into. I am on number twelve now, Jesus.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Big_James_B

• Bay Watcher
  • Veteran Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28561 on: April 02, 2013, 12:01:30 am »

I particularly enjoy not being informed that dwarves/citizens are pregnant.
My first birth was a craftswoman who had gone "into a strange mood" and I quickly built 5+ different workshops for her to use so she wouldn't go crazy (according to her skills). After taking a few more days to make her decision she finally chooses one that I already had built (-_-), grabs all the material she needs (yo' dog, I heard you like stones...) and sets to work. About halfway through the job she gives birth, finishes the artifact and then goes back to where she was, finishing her previous meal.

Since this was in my Gulag Vault, I quickly ushered the artefact into my commissars office "away from those grubby workers".
The artifact was an earring with a picture of the forming of the Gulag.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:33:45 am by Big_James_B »
I think I am going crazy. I start to understand and actually follow Rumrusher along with his ideas...

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28562 on: April 02, 2013, 08:35:08 am »

Finally decided to see how deep this giant pit in my first cavern layer goes. It starts at Z-44 and extends to Z-106, bridging the first two cavern layers. The walls of it are lined with gold, and the second cavern seems to be at least 15% gold, so I should have no shortage of pretty yellow trinkets and decorations. Still not much copper, only two veins uncovered so far, but it should be enough for now. my defenses above ground have finally been finished, so I should stop losing dwarves every time the local necromancers stop in.
Still no tin for bronze, so I'm jsut making copper armour for the time being. It's not much, but it's the best I can manage right now. The scraps of iron, bronze, and steel I've managed to get have all been used up making mail and helmets already.

My migrant waves have gotten pretty big - I went from 72 dwarves to 103 with the last migrant wave, "despite the danger", so my population dips seem to be of minor concern, and assuming the necromancers don't revive something that can break down doors, the population should stop dropping by dozens every year or so, depending on what kind of beasts show up in the caverns, that is.

I've decided not to abandon. I was hoping for just a fairly easy location to play around with when I embarked, jsut a casual fort to kill time and maybe build something pointlessly dwarfishly large and ridiculous, so the constant necromancer visits and lack of military ore was disappointing, but Ihaven't had a challenging location in a while (my last terrifying location jsut rained dwarf blood on occasion, nothing major) so may as well stick with it.

Edit: So I think the local goblin civ, Eblakstozu, "The Disgusting Poison" is some sort of death cult. Every time I get a necro ambush, I also get a goblin ambush, and every time at least 3 goblins end up zombies.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:27:26 am by Jenniretta »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28563 on: April 02, 2013, 12:16:37 pm »

My... caged, poorly-trained wild dragon men have... Gone berserk... This is terrible! And confusing! Pets don't have thoughts, right?

One of the females at least went feral again. I'll avoid training her in the hopes that I can pit the now-berserk male and train her later. Maybe her training will last long enough to get some eggs to hatch, but the situation is looking hopeless at this point.

The rest of the fortress is all hunky-dory. My legendary ex-adventurer, Kol Earthgod The First Cudgel, is perfectly content in her own little world, and I'm having her mansion prepped to let her out. I'll have to wall off all her furniture though, because in her were-mongoose form she likes to break things. The vampire is similarly content in her little hovel, updating my stockpile records. It's those damn dragon men...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28564 on: April 02, 2013, 12:28:51 pm »

Another Dwarf child has died in the quarry, this time the only daughter of two of the starting 7, both miners. Another is injured with two compound fractures and one which is infected.
Sad sadness all round.

Greenalien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28565 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »

Mayor: "Well Urist, you know how everyone complained about the lack of well, recently?"
Urist McMiner: "Yeah"
Sheriff: "Well our men down there in the caves found an amazing, pristine lake full of water recently, right below our mess hall!"
Urist McMiner: That's amazing sir!"
Mayor: "So me and Sheriff here thought, you could just dig down from here and get us some water."
Urist McMiner: "Right here sir?"
Mayor: "Right here, Sonny"

Urist McMiner proceeds to dig a channel, ten stories down.
Urist McMiner reaches surface of the aquifier, his shoes are wet.
He dilligently keeps on digging.
Urist McMiner is drowning.
Urist McMiner bleeds out in the water and his body rots.
Urist McMiner is missing for a week.
Mayor and Sheriff put up a new well in the dining hall.
Everyone enjoys the delicious water.
No one found out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28566 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:14 pm »

OH CARP!
Kol escaped her room in her werebeast form. The door is missing, not a damn clue why it only happened now since she never broke it down the last four months she's been in there. The only good news is that she has stopped by the windows in the lobby outside her room to smash them up. Or something. She's just running back and forth out there in front of the windows, but not stopping to bust any of them up.

I can only assume she'd gone stark raving mad, but then she transformed back and ran back in her room to put her clothes on... Of which she got everything on except her pants...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:50:04 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #28567 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:52 pm »

Edit:  Also, I guess there is some kind of Vile Creature that already lives here.  She just slaughtered a wave of sixteen immigrants.

So this Vile Creature is a skinless humanoid with wings.  My immigrant wave was completely slaughtered with only a handful of dwarves making it through.  This thing flew around stabbing people in the face with a copper knife. 

Including the animals slaughtered there are 33 dead or missing now.  Corpse's litter the lower half of the map.  It took me 20 minutes just to forbid everything laying around there to stop dwarves walking into their doom. 

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28568 on: April 02, 2013, 02:00:43 pm »

Edit:  Also, I guess there is some kind of Vile Creature that already lives here.  She just slaughtered a wave of sixteen immigrants.

So this Vile Creature is a skinless humanoid with wings.  My immigrant wave was completely slaughtered with only a handful of dwarves making it through.  This thing flew around stabbing people in the face with a copper knife. 

Including the animals slaughtered there are 33 dead or missing now.  Corpse's litter the lower half of the map.  It took me 20 minutes just to forbid everything laying around there to stop dwarves walking into their doom.

...ouch. Does it have a name and a title?
Also, are you familiar with mass-forbid and other similar designations?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28569 on: April 02, 2013, 02:04:24 pm »

It has a name and it shows up on the unit list flashing, so I guess that makes it legendary?  I'm not in front of my DF computer right now, so I can't check.

How does mass-forbid work?  I went to the (o)rders menu and made sure corpses and items were forbid on death, but that didn't seem to work.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28570 on: April 02, 2013, 02:10:38 pm »

It has a name and it shows up on the unit list flashing, so I guess that makes it legendary?  I'm not in front of my DF computer right now, so I can't check.

How does mass-forbid work?  I went to the (o)rders menu and made sure corpses and items were forbid on death, but that didn't seem to work.

Yep, I do believe it's legendary now :D If you ever abandon the fort, you will be able to find the tales of its exploits in Legends mode

Also, I'm about to make your life a LOT easier. There is a special Designation menu for forbidding/reclaiming, dumping/undumping and more. Access it at (d) and then (b). This works exactly the same way as designating areas to be mined, or trees cut, or plants gathered. Some shortcuts I have memorized are
(d) - (b) - (f) - area forbid
(d) - (b) - (c) - area reclaim (unforbid)
(d) - (b) - (d) - area dump (take items to a garbage zone. If the zone is on a cliff, throw things off a cliff instead)
(d) - (b) - (D) - remove dump orders from area

You can also reveal/hide engravings. A revealed engraving replaces the generic "engraved floor"/"engraved wall" with a symbol for what the engraving has on it. Can be disorienting, but can also look really nice.

As a bonus, check out (i) menu for garbage zones, gathering zones, fishing/drinking zones and pits.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28571 on: April 02, 2013, 02:28:45 pm »

Nice!  I'll have to try that out after work.

I'm trying to get some Marksdwarves right now to try and take the fight to her, but my guess it will end with a bunch of dead dwarves.  I'll have to check out legends mode after that.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28572 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »

More goblins, more undead, more lost dwarves, and one more ghost I am incapable of getting rid of... So, The surface is mostly normal. One exception, though - the humans finally survived a visit here. they didn't have much worth trading for, but they made it off the map without getting eaten by zombies.

This last pigrant wave, I got a dwarf with a 5-page list of skills, several of which are as high as expert. That raised a few suspicions so I looked at her profile. She is 156 years old, is a former member to 51 different groups, and current member of one, has pale skin, and worships a deity who has cursed 32 individuals with a mix of were-critter and vampire curses. She also arrived alone, despite having a husband and two children.
... I think I know who to blame if someone goes missing soon. I also think I know who is going to be going out in search of the necromancer next ambush. I hope she is a vampire, and not some sort of were-hamster or something. I've already handled a were-llama who ran in at the end of a full moon, turned back into a peasant half-way to the gate, and ran away naked before anyone even noticed her.  At least a vampire on a map plagued by undead could very well turn out to be an asset, rather than being an annoyance like they usually are.
That said, I don't mind having vampires around, They're hard to kill and make pretty decent soldiers, and they never need to stop to eat or sleep, so as long as they don't eat anyone too valuable, or better yet just leave their victims with enough blood to survive, they're generally not a problem.  This one came with some mace skills already, too, (competent) so I can send her out to battle without too much worry about lack of skill.

Edit: Oh, and the underground has come up with an interesting development. Just a few meters to the east of my first giant pit, connecting the 1st and 2nd cavern layers, I found a 2nd, which should go to the 3rd cavern. I've also added a few blind ogre and troglodyte to my monster collection. they seem to love hanging out at the bottom of my stairs and chasing miners who come close. I'm considering abandoning the upper floors and relocating the entire fortress to the stone between the second and third caverns. It would be a huge time investment, hauling everything down there, even with sue of wheelbarrows and mine carts it would take probably a couple years, but there is nothing interesting on the surface but zombies, and I think being closer to the magma more than makes up for the trouble of irrigating new farmland.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:59:32 pm by Jenniretta »

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28573 on: April 02, 2013, 06:39:07 pm »

finally caught a giant cave spider in my 10th year, a lil late though compared to my other forts, as i already have plentiful rope reed and pig tail fiber production for clothes, and corpse grinders/legendary bonecarvers for trade goods. Still better than never i guess, i will construction a silk farm right away, and make a sweatshop level of 15 looms. My creature logic repeater will again see usage in the silk farm machinery, better wake up the kobold thieves in my jail.

i think i really lucked out this time catching the spider, as i wasnt making any real effort to catch one, i've seen 3 appear now and this was the third one. I set up cage traps at where the second one came in, in hopes of it running into the cages while trying to leave the map, but i couldnt set it close enough without being attacked by the spider so i ended up cage trapping only a small section of the entrance.

the new spider just happen to spawn in the same place as where the old one left, and it's first step into the map was right onto forbidden cage traps.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #28574 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:34 pm »

What follows are the events that took place in the seventeenth year since the founding of The Bronzemark.

It was decreed that the farms be moved from the first to the second level of the fortress. At this time they were also enlarged enough to produce enough booze and food to feed all 217 residents.
The results of the first dwarfish experiments into vegetarianism will follow.

A human caravan arrived. Much clutter was sold to them in exchange for fruits and vegetables. A few mandates were broken in the process, but the Queen is only a figure-head, and the Hammerer has been dead for years without a replacement being appointed.

A rutherer somehow made it all the way up from the third cavern layer to the workshops, where it led the Siegebreakers on a merry chase before being cornered and carved up. The dwarves, who had not seen meat since the early spring, quickly butchered, cooked and ate it.

A force of goblins laid siege to the Bronzemark. Champion Momol personally defeated at least eight of their number (accounts vary), including two trolls, bringing her tally of kills to almost eighty.

The human caravan finally left. It is the first caravan in two years to successfully leave dwarfish territory without everyone being murdered by goblin archers.

Construction of the Northern Watchtower has begun, finally putting to use all the diorite that has been lying around for the last ten years or so. It was supposed to be used in replacing the wooden walls with stone, but I forgot.

It snowed. A lot.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 3836