Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1904 1905 [1906] 1907 1908 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788404 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28575 on: April 02, 2013, 08:07:18 pm »

GOD DAMNIT

I lost my weaponsmith! A rock fell on her and broke her spine. Damnit! The Catten twins are dead!

The bloody poisonous forest titan that attacked didn't manage to seriously injure anyone, but a freaking rock takes out one of my most valuable dwarves. This is as bad as when a freaking owl came by and murdered one of my sentry dogs in it's pillbox.

And then one of the miners falls right the fuck off a cliff and breaks multiple bones. Even the most foolproof channeling/ramp-carving operations take out these poor defenseless idiots.

And then a ghost tears a woodsdwarf's spine right the fuck out (not literally I suppose, but she's spewing blood and has a fatal spinal injury.) And somehow her head is also burned! Not a damn clue how she managed to burn head.

God damn this is an awful month in Impaledwomen. There's only one civilization invading us and they're rather pathetic, but somehow we manage to suffer these tragedies regardless!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28576 on: April 02, 2013, 08:16:56 pm »

GOD DAMNIT

I lost my weaponsmith! A rock fell on her and broke her spine. Damnit! The Catten twins are dead!

The bloody poisonous forest titan that attacked didn't manage to seriously injure anyone, but a freaking rock takes out one of my most valuable dwarves. This is as bad as when a freaking owl came by and murdered one of my sentry dogs in it's pillbox.

And then one of the miners falls right the fuck off a cliff and breaks multiple bones. Even the most foolproof channeling/ramp-carving operations take out these poor defenseless idiots.

And then a ghost tears a woodsdwarf's spine right the fuck out (not literally I suppose, but she's spewing blood and has a fatal spinal injury.) And somehow her head is also burned! Not a damn clue how she managed to burn head.

God damn this is an awful month in Impaledwomen. There's only one civilization invading us and they're rather pathetic, but somehow we manage to suffer these tragedies regardless!

She was a time paradox. There was literally no way she could have survived.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28577 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »

had a giant invade my fortress. i sent a marksdwarf squad to welcome it. i have enough food to easily outlast a siege and an underground farm to make more if i need to. future plans consist of mainly updating my military, building more traps and optimizing stockpiles.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28578 on: April 02, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »

I've made multiple forts in multiple worlds and all of them start crashing after less than a year. doing a clean install.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28579 on: April 02, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »

So, got a goblin siege, no big deal, I lock the doors and position my fighters behind them and the archers at a vantage point. They brought trolls, so the doors were going to break, and when they finally did, rather than stay at their stations and wait like I wanted them too, all my dwarves rush into the newly-created choke-point, with a swarm of goblins on the other side, and twenty or so of them die, one-by-one in a neat little line, bodies piled in the doorway.
Is there any setting like the old "stays close to station" option to prevent these suicide rushes? it seems like dwarves will chase an opponent to the ends of the map and back, no matter what their orders are. In older versions I could set them to stick close and a defense like this would hold up, but there seems to be no way to prevent suicide charges now without specifically building blind-spots so your dwarves don't see the opponent.
This is probably the worrse siege I've had, and it should have been simple, but because they wouldn't keep their station, choosing to go single-file into the goblin meatgrinder, I lost over half my military in a matter of minutes.
I tried to deactivate them to get them to flee but they kept their line moving for whatever odd reason.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28580 on: April 02, 2013, 08:59:29 pm »

My new militia captain vetting program involves killing a wolf without any weapons or armor. My militia commander was wounded so I decided to see how many wolves she could kill before she died. The answer is all of them. She killed all of the wolves.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28581 on: April 02, 2013, 09:20:09 pm »

So, got a goblin siege, no big deal, I lock the doors and position my fighters behind them and the archers at a vantage point. They brought trolls, so the doors were going to break, and when they finally did, rather than stay at their stations and wait like I wanted them too, all my dwarves rush into the newly-created choke-point, with a swarm of goblins on the other side, and twenty or so of them die, one-by-one in a neat little line, bodies piled in the doorway.
Is there any setting like the old "stays close to station" option to prevent these suicide rushes? it seems like dwarves will chase an opponent to the ends of the map and back, no matter what their orders are. In older versions I could set them to stick close and a defense like this would hold up, but there seems to be no way to prevent suicide charges now without specifically building blind-spots so your dwarves don't see the opponent.
This is probably the worrse siege I've had, and it should have been simple, but because they wouldn't keep their station, choosing to go single-file into the goblin meatgrinder, I lost over half my military in a matter of minutes.
I tried to deactivate them to get them to flee but they kept their line moving for whatever odd reason.

should have positioned them further, this is a classic example of dorf dumbness.

im not joking when i say goblin squads are more coordinated in their movements and attack than dwarves, at least they constantly follow their leader instead of needing to complete 1 order before following another if you issued a new order (such as if they first order would bring them too close to the enemy, and you issue a second move order to move away, they MUST move towards the first order first and THEN follow the second order). Dwarf squads are also almost never together, at most you get like 8 out of 10 squadies in a group before one of them runs off to drink or something. They also tend to rush ahead of each other when issued a move, especially marksdwarves, resulting in enemies closing the distance fast and causing 1 or 2 casualties in the rushers before the rest of the squad comes and puts the enemy down.

i think a better use of your melee dwarves would just to be to have them hang in a pit, a arena of sorts while you control a lever and drop parts of the enemy's army in at a time while they finish off the pitted enemies while they're stunned from the drop.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28582 on: April 03, 2013, 02:01:01 am »

My fortress was just besieged by a forgotten beast; a humanoid composed of water that spits webs. Normally liquid- or gas-based FBs are ridiculously weak, but those webs, man...

It stormed in before the militia could get downstairs and started going after civilians. The moment the militia started trickling in, they started getting their faces caved in after being webbed. It was an absolute route, but I managed to wall it downstairs and save most of the population. It promptly murdered everyone down there with it and tore up my magma forges and smelters, and took a break. Through all that fighting, the only injury it received was the loss of one of it's arms, which didn't slow it down a bit.

And then what? It went after the lower animal pastures where I keep alpacas and stuff to munch the grass and give access to sand, and it got kicked to death by one of the alpacas. Put my entire militia to shame with three blows.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28583 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:13 am »

Haven't played in a long time.  Trying out the new Forlorn Realms release.

Found a great embark spot.  There's a line of neutral territory between two evil zones.  On this line is a volcano, and a stream off to the side.  Tons of mineral wealth.

Six zombie thrips people attacked within the first week.  They killed the expedition leader and paralyzed one other.  Tantrum spiral followed over the next month.  One went mad and wandered off.  Another went berserk and murdered the other 2.  The last dwarf murdered arose as a rotting corpse and took revenge.  Quite dramatically I should add.  Grabbed her left arm and shattered it.  Punched the right arm and shattered it.  Then threw her down the mountainside by her left arm, crippling her.  Walked down and finished her off with one punch through the skull.  If only he'd fought like that while still alive.

Now there's just the gibbering one, rolling naked through fields of worm grass as he starves to death.  Waiting to see if the first wave of migrants shows up in time.  If they do, the fortress should survive.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:20:57 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28584 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:30 am »

how did the evil thrips get into your fort though? didnt you follow the normal evil-embark protocol of walling off completely asap after digging in after embark?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28585 on: April 03, 2013, 09:08:07 am »

... And then what? It went after the lower animal pastures where I keep alpacas and stuff to munch the grass and give access to sand, and it got kicked to death by one of the alpacas. Put my entire militia to shame with three blows.

Sounds like...
Spoiler: attack of ... (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28586 on: April 03, 2013, 09:40:07 am »

how did the evil thrips get into your fort though? didnt you follow the normal evil-embark protocol of walling off completely asap after digging in after embark?

I'm slow :P

I don't really understand how people accomplish stuff so quickly.  It seems like an entire day passes in just the time it takes my dwarf to pick up his equipment and walk to the digging designation.  No way I'm going to be dug in and walled off in under a week.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28587 on: April 03, 2013, 10:16:13 am »

A gremlin werepanda spawned right near the ogre siege camp and mauled an ogre before turning back into a gremlin and running away.

Then one of the ogres turned into a werepanda too and got killed by his fellows. :P

Modding is fun.

Edit: Another werepanda ogre dead. :D

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:24:22 am by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28588 on: April 03, 2013, 11:26:45 am »

I'm slow :P

I don't really understand how people accomplish stuff so quickly.  It seems like an entire day passes in just the time it takes my dwarf to pick up his equipment and walk to the digging designation.  No way I'm going to be dug in and walled off in under a week.
Before you hit unpause you should have a temoprary fortress designated. I generally have ten seconds before it starts to rain which can kill a fort before it starts.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #28589 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:28 am »

Nice!  I'll have to try that out after work.

I'm trying to get some Marksdwarves right now to try and take the fight to her, but my guess it will end with a bunch of dead dwarves.  I'll have to check out legends mode after that.

So I got three marksdwarves, and they've got some practice killing kobold snatchers.  Hopefully they will be able to take out this creature.  Unfortunately I've got a ghost floating around my fort now.  It doesn't seem to do much, but I think it just possessed my weaver with all the goblin kills.
Pages: 1 ... 1904 1905 [1906] 1907 1908 ... 3835