Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1905 1906 [1907] 1908 1909 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5774272 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28590 on: April 03, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »

New ogre siege. After clearing the undead siege, an "Ogre Slave Maceman" gave birth to a baby ogre.

Apparently sieges are no place for babies, and the mother and the rest of her squad decided to get rid of the newborn. :'(

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead. :o
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:24:30 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28591 on: April 03, 2013, 01:27:10 pm »

Archwarmth
12th Hematite, 204

Just halved the population by sending out my hunters, woodcutters, and miners against a small siege. Now everyone's pissy and GOD is it entertaining.

LOSING IS ‼FUN‼

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28592 on: April 03, 2013, 04:15:17 pm »

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead. :o

Mind if I sig that?
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28593 on: April 03, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »

A naked mold dog got its chance to see the overworld at the cost of the use of one paw and another. It will likely be captured or die, but it hasn't been a nuisance to any Dwarves too much. Stukos Anvilshake, a child has gone into a secretive mood. This will be the third child to achieve legendary skill status in my Fort if it is successful. Zotir the Titan now resides in the Moose pit as a zombie.

And yet somehow amid the tanzanite buddha, the raining logs and the mysterious moods, the only thing that has me puzzled is why my Doctor/animal trainer Tekkud is taming eagles by feeding them eagle guts.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28594 on: April 03, 2013, 04:38:25 pm »

A naked mold dog got its chance to see the overworld at the cost of the use of one paw and another. It will likely be captured or die, but it hasn't been a nuisance to any Dwarves too much. Stukos Anvilshake, a child has gone into a secretive mood. This will be the third child to achieve legendary skill status in my Fort if it is successful. Zotir the Titan now resides in the Moose pit as a zombie.

And yet somehow amid the tanzanite buddha, the raining logs and the mysterious moods, the only thing that has me puzzled is why my Doctor/animal trainer Tekkud is taming eagles by feeding them eagle guts.

Behold the price of disobedience.

Vetted a new militia captain, she strangled two wolves. Then as soon as she got into her armor a goddamned centaur ripped off one of her gauntlets and bashed her skull in with it. Nearby militia commander hacked it's head off with his artifact Zweihander but she's got three surgeries before she's back on her feet.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28595 on: April 03, 2013, 05:05:26 pm »

Mind if I sig that?

Of course not. :)
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28596 on: April 03, 2013, 05:44:26 pm »

not really my fort per se, but i've been thinking of a new run that involves some mods: "Pinky Up run".

All your dwarves are high class snobs. upon embark, you have 7 legendary dwarves. one mason, one carpenter, one weapon and armor smith, one brew and cook, one glassmaker, one jeweler and one cheese maker. sieges can happen in the first year. everything your dwarves own must be masterwork or higher. anything below must be dumped. Embark point depends on the player. this does require modding (which i suck at) so any tech savvy ppl, feel free to try it.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28597 on: April 03, 2013, 06:40:04 pm »

Lanceanvil
1st Granite, 1001

Yet another fort. I was bored and decided SOD this flat-embark lark, I want a WATERFALL! And a waterfall I now have. This might well be... interesting. On the other hand, I have white sand and fire clay, so FUCKING WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Update:
12th Galena, 1001

Spoiler: bigass image (click to show/hide)

Oh, FUCK!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:38:23 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28598 on: April 03, 2013, 08:45:36 pm »

Goblin Archers came out in force. My militia commander ran into a hail of arrows like a boss dodging and blocking and swatting away arrows carrying a kite shield in one hand and a sword named for the fact it requires two hands in the other.  Arrows bounced off his armor and he cleaved into a goblin mount. Then he received a very minor injury to the groin and ran off into the forest. When he discovered an elf child snatcher he continued running and didn't stop until he got to the hospital. One of his subordinates on the other hand turned into a badass despite being a novice swordsman. The first thing the ambushers did was shoot an arrow right into her fucking eye, she proceeded to hack the attackers into increasingly tiny pieces and remained on the battlefield until the last greenskin was a pile of rusty iron and meat.

Later after her eyeball had been wrapped in cloth and sewn together (because dwarves don't understand how eyes work) and she was walking around the old battlefield a snatcher stuffed her baby into a bag. Combat lasted seven rounds, none of them went well for him. By the time it was done his body parts were strewn throughout several nearby trees. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:09:59 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28599 on: April 03, 2013, 09:35:35 pm »

Why DF? WHY? WHY MUST YOU TORMENT SILENTTHUNDERS WITH THE SADS?

Oddom Dentedlashed... The Fort's first child to reach adulthood. Arrived with the fourth wave of migrants that kid did. Had great potential too, picked up the mace when Ingrish was killed.

The rat. That giant rat.

No one knows when it escaped.

No one knows when it died.

No one knows when it came back to life.

No one except Oddom.

The Fort's only sole surviving war dog was torn to pieces. She died nameless with no owner.

Oddom fought long enough for reinforcements to arrive right when the rat closed its jaws around her head.

My Fort is now full of scared pigs and alarmed soldiers. The spikes are being constructed.

And the Fort has lost a child.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28600 on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:50 pm »

@loud whisper

evil embark im guessing? never played one of those before, but i think evil embarks are unique in that it warrants the construction of traps throughout your fort, even in secure areas inside, as well as complex extensive lockdown systems for parts of the fort (in addition to refuse disposal).

And... always keep an eye on animals with short life spans like rats, may as well magma pit those alive if you dont have a meat industry anyway. Bad luck, "fun".

For my fort, stockadeSprayed is under siege again after a calm year of relative peace, by the standard force of unmounted goblins and trolls (the goblins have not had mounts since their law-giver/only leader was captured in a siege a few years back). I was going to try out my new bridge-pit drowning trap (that i previously would not have tried due to bridge-disabling mounts), but have not yet completed all the cage traps, and so i will relay on my cage-maze/drowning maze to capture them.

My fort has undergone some major changes the last year, the most noticeable is the relocation of the corpse grinders, the re-organization of the hospital (that increased it's capacity by over 300%), the construction of the giant cave spider silk farm, and major stockpile/workshop reorganization that would increase efficiency.

well, the force of darkness is upon us, hopefully it will go well with most of the goblins being caged, and few drowning. I need live prisoners of war to test out my new magma-cooker chamber, and weaponized deadly dust forgotten beast rotting chamber.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28601 on: April 03, 2013, 10:20:05 pm »

@loud whisper

evil embark im guessing? never played one of those before, but i think evil embarks are unique in that it warrants the construction of traps throughout your fort, even in secure areas inside, as well as complex extensive lockdown systems for parts of the fort (in addition to refuse disposal).

And... always keep an eye on animals with short life spans like rats, may as well magma pit those alive if you dont have a meat industry anyway. Bad luck, "fun".
522 stone traps, 432 cage traps, over 3091 doors. There are just some things that cannot be prepared for.

Losing is Fun. Gravity magma is a future plan.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28602 on: April 03, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »

522 stone traps, 432 cage traps, over 3091 doors. There are just some things that cannot be prepared for.

Losing is Fun. Gravity magma is a future plan.
stone traps huh, i only use cage traps cuz their much more reliable. And i hope i didnt misunderstand, im assuming you put all your captured animals in 1 cage, and the rat happened to die in the cage and got revived. Im also assuming that where-ever you stored the rat is a separate room with it's own doors that is NOT a large open area (there should be anything like that in a evil biome, its practically dead-island, there needs to be many doors, many locks, full control). And you didnt order the kid to attack the rat did you? if he was a patrolling soldier, you did cancel all his orders so he could run right?

EDIT: btw when i say many doors, i dont just mean doors randomly everywhere, i mean your fort should be sectioned thoroughly, with each section having doors you can lock to slow down anything that revives or stop them entirely.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:48:40 pm by Catsup »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28603 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:24 pm »

The answer to every question can be summed up as such:

Where is the fun in that?
stone traps huh, I only use cage traps because they're much more reliable.
Cheap, blunt, good.
And I hope I didn't misunderstand, I'm assuming you put all your captured animals in 1 cage and the rat happened to die in the cage and got revived.
Wild animals yes. Tame or close to tame animals no.
I'm also assuming that whereever you stored the rat is a separate room with its own doors that is NOT a large open area (there should not be anything like that in a evil biome, it's practically dead-island, there needs to be many doors, many locks, full control).
Ha ha ha, no it's a large open area outside a large subterranean Fortress frequently traveled by soldiers transferring between equipment runs and barracks.
And you didn't order the kid to attack the rat did you? if he was a patrolling soldier, you did cancel all his orders so he could run right?
There are no patrolling soldiers. She appeared from a staircase too close to the rat for me to react. In any case it's better this way; I thought she could handle it and I was staggeringly wrong. Hubris does not ensure a Fort's survival. These moments in a Fort's narrative are sad and melancholic... But they are beautiful nonetheless.
EDIT: By the way when I say many doors, I don't just mean doors randomly everywhere, I mean your fort should be sectioned thoroughly, with each section having doors you can lock to slow down anything that revives or stop them entirely.
HA HA HA! Why would you wish to do this? The area this happened in is a grand hall in every sense of the word, open on all zlvls. I would not wish to ruin the architecture with silly notions like safety.
Besides, there are 99 surviving experienced soldiers and several lines of defence standing between the Overworld and where the incident happened. I never expected such a thing to happen, and it's the unexpected that keep you on your toes.
Oh and the lower level refuse stockpile has a necromancer in it. I want the ability to flood the lower levels in undead such that retaking it would be difficult to impossible.
Silentthunders has not survived this long on conservatism, only industry and sacrifice. The Broke grows.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28604 on: April 03, 2013, 11:51:56 pm »

Feb One-Eye has earned the position of guard captain for general badassedness. And my militia commander successfully redeemed himself by decapitating an FB. Noxious secretions with no visible effect eighteen days after the fact.
Pages: 1 ... 1905 1906 [1907] 1908 1909 ... 3835