Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1906 1907 [1908] 1909 1910 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787855 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28605 on: April 04, 2013, 12:04:21 am »

The answer to every question can be summed up as such
hah hubris eh, reminds me of the time i sent a war roc to kill the single undead goblin only to have the roc get stuck down in 3 hits. But your playing a risky (and FUN) game bro, from the sound of it many of your forts areas are exposed and you transverse them rather casually, and this is remedied by militarizing everyone. But undead tend to cause casualties no matter the equipment or training of the soldiers, and theres always the deadly dust forgotten beasts.

I always keep out of the caverns unless im getting wood and sometimes plants, or setting up traps for cavern creatures, the same applies above ground, but thats mostly because theres nothing i really need above ground (caverns have more colorful wood).

For the wild/enemy animals i catch, i cage most of them since i rarely have more than a couple idlers and everyone is too busy to butcher the animals. Young tame animals are also caged to improve fps, also because they cannot bred, and in evil surroundings, to protect them.

Oh and about architecture, i guess my playing style is drastically different than yours, everything i build must be functional in some way to help my fort's survival, or at least be very entertaining for me (i.e. poking chambers, magma slow-cookers, forgotten beast syndrome rot chambers). I also try to build to make everything as efficient as possible.

I dont like having a military, and only give strong war animals and armor to my important dwarves, but do not otherwise train them. I relay mainly on architecture and traps to defend my fort, and in a evil setting, where enemies may spawn inside your fortress, you want to be able to "control" this new danger easily and survive.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28606 on: April 04, 2013, 01:18:09 am »

OH CARP!
Kol escaped her room in her werebeast form. The door is missing, not a damn clue why it only happened now since she never broke it down the last four months she's been in there. The only good news is that she has stopped by the windows in the lobby outside her room to smash them up. Or something. She's just running back and forth out there in front of the windows, but not stopping to bust any of them up.

I can only assume she'd gone stark raving mad, but then she transformed back and ran back in her room to put her clothes on... Of which she got everything on except her pants...

What werebeast form is that, again?
My guess is that the reverse transformation wasn't complete, and she still has a tail.  better have the tailor (heh heh) make her a new pair of pants with a tail-hole included.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28607 on: April 04, 2013, 01:33:32 am »

not long (about a month) after the gblin siege a bunch of crundles took up residence in my 2nd cavern-layer's courtyard, which is still being walled in to provide a safe(ish) area for my dwarves to gather plants and wood. my military dealt with them pretty easily, at least. nice to know they can manage crundles, if nothing else. as they were working on that problem, however, a new one arrived.
Oggez Estilanan, "Oggez the Whirling Nights" A towering skinless alligator, with two narrow tails. It squirms and fidgets. It has poisonous gas. Currently, it seems to have found it's way into an inescapable hole. my last FB spawned in the same area I think, but that one could fly (and also had poisonous gas), so I think I may have a pet alligator napping in the corner of my fortress until my archer squad is full and they need some target practice.

By inescapable hole, I mean that, from the area I have uncovered at least, there are no ramps leading down to where he is. there is a 2-Unit-high wall between him and the underground lake, and a small island in the lake with sheer cliff-faces all round it. there is some space I haven't explored, but his movement, or rather, his lack of movement, seems to indicate he has no path inside. He walked into the undiscovered area, but not long after walked back to his starting position. He's wandered out of view again, though, so we'll see where he ends up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28608 on: April 04, 2013, 01:47:40 am »

What werebeast form is that, again?
My guess is that the reverse transformation wasn't complete, and she still has a tail.  better have the tailor (heh heh) make her a new pair of pants with a tail-hole included.

Well, that crisis was solved shortly thereafter by walling her in. She's a weremongoose. Turns out she managed to pop the door off because when she transformed she was close enough to it to begin breaking it immediately, and that's important because apparently the time it takes to break down the door is just ever-so-slightly shorter than the time for which a werebeast is transformed or something. Or maybe the damage is cumulative and builds up over the course of multiple transformations. She put her pants back on, too, before tantruming about missing them. No idea what that was about. Also, I'd think it more practical for anthropomorphs like that to actually wear a belt and pants without impromptu holes, and loop their tail between the belt and seat of the pants. Or a skirt or dress something for women.

Recently I actually made a drawbridge linked to a lever outside that I can use to get other dwarves to let her out to play in her mansion before her time of the month comes around again, at which point she can be stationed in the bunker room again and the door sealed. I can only hope she doesn't get crushed by the bridge at any point.

Beyond that, not much has happened lately in my fortress. The dragonmen are becoming more and more scarce, and the kobolds are as rare as ever. Dwarven caravan and migrant waves have survived intact the last three years, although the liaisons can't talk to the mayor, mainly because the mayor is a vampire and locked away in a box for the safety of the rest of the dwarves. I've been digging out more bedrooms, workshops, stockpiles, and resetting the smithy after the beast rampage.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28609 on: April 04, 2013, 02:58:52 am »

Or maybe the damage is cumulative and builds up over the course of multiple transformations.
That it is. I've got a shrine to the first masterwork door I caught my were-creature Dorfs nearly smashing down. Asmel can turn stone to splinters!
Which to be fair, has been rather useful in disposing of all those slate armour stands.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28610 on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:44 am »

Lanceanvil
4th Galena, 1002

I'll... I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.

Spoiler: Lots of big images! (click to show/hide)

FUCKING NECROMANCERS

UPDATE:

That was ‼fun‼. RECLAIM TIIIIIME
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:14:48 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28611 on: April 04, 2013, 09:24:10 am »

Lanceanvil
4th Galena, 1002

FUCKING NECROMANCERS

UPDATE:

probly not worth the reclaim if it was necromancer-rushed the first year. Try making a refuse quantum stockpile next time, with a minecart that dumps the refuse over a hatch linked to a pressure plate in front of the minecart that triggers from civilians. Oh, and try not to engage undead directly, ever. Make a trap tunnel and let them walk in, there cant be too many in a first year rush like this, a few cage traps can do wonders and catch the necromancer too.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28612 on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:54 am »

Lanceanvil
4th Galena, 1002

FUCKING NECROMANCERS

UPDATE:

probly not worth the reclaim if it was necromancer-rushed the first year. Try making a refuse quantum stockpile next time, with a minecart that dumps the refuse over a hatch linked to a pressure plate in front of the minecart that triggers from civilians. Oh, and try not to engage undead directly, ever. Make a trap tunnel and let them walk in, there cant be too many in a first year rush like this, a few cage traps can do wonders and catch the necromancer too.
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to make a new world anyway because I want MOAR WATERFALLLLLS (and bigger. Bigger waterfalls are MOAR FUNNNNN)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28613 on: April 04, 2013, 10:02:29 am »

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to make a new world anyway because I want MOAR WATERFALLLLLS (and bigger. Bigger waterfalls are MOAR FUNNNNN)

Lielac strikes the Giant Gar Corpse with +Efforts+, but it glances off.
Giant Gar Corpse bites the Fortress on the head, and latches on firmly.
Giant Gar Corpse shakes the Fortress by the head.
The severed part flies off in an arc!
The Fortress has been struck down!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28614 on: April 04, 2013, 11:36:25 am »

Lanceanvil
4th Galena, 1002

FUCKING NECROMANCERS

UPDATE:

My first-year necro rush was about 20-30 undead I think (I posted about it a few pages back, that may have the actual number, i don't rememberm it's been a while) so, there could have been quite a few of them.
Anyway, the goblin, human, and dwarf zombies, and the necromancers themselves, are all incapable of breaking down a stone door, and they will eventually get bored and go home, so you can lock the doors and wait out the siege. Also, move your refuse and corpse piles underground, or at least build walls around them and make sure there is no line-of-sight of the piles from nearby hills, because the necromancers seem to find those perfectly-positioned hills to bring your axedwarfs left hand back alive a dozen times very frequently (especially in ambushes.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28615 on: April 04, 2013, 11:46:54 am »

My Militia Commander has taken the name The Oily Evisceration. Since he's covering the map in a slurry of puke, goblin chunks, and blood it seems fitting.

The Elven Treasury Master earned some respect by surviving the brunt of a goblin ambush. He was shot with three arrows and savagely beaten by Goblin Lashers. I now have a prospective militia captain standing over him looking menacing to discourage thieves from assassinating him like they did the last two.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28616 on: April 04, 2013, 05:50:02 pm »

Gnomish siege. They wasted all of their ammunition shooting a marksdwarf so by the time the melee squads got there they were slaughtered en masse. Another dwarf was shot in the thigh but two wounded isn't bad. Looking over his injuries there are Twelve bullets lodged in him. I have legitimate concerns that the second he gets out of the hospital he's going to walk on down to the river, rip all the bullets out of his body, and bleed to death on the spot.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28617 on: April 05, 2013, 10:36:12 am »

The second soldier of my squad has 2 artifacts :

a Steel short sword, and a steel breastplate.

Her full name in "Steelwoman, the imperial Autumn" since she killed a FB.

(The steel breastplate having the image of my artifact golden spear, which is the weapon of my militia commander)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28618 on: April 05, 2013, 11:01:50 am »

Went back to the necromancer fort after a few months hiatus. Immediate awesomeness ensues:

Two sieges:

First, 100+ goblins, 20+ trolls, no archers. Half the goblins go up the west side of the mountain and trigger the landmines. Only four lashers survive, huddling on an outcropping surrounded by magma. The troll seem to head for my eastern gate when I notice a combat report that should not yet be. Somehow a stockpile extension cut into an old service tunnel, which lead to a pond, which dried up. Trolls were swarming the compound and killing peasants. My secondary militia (2 dwarf squad, swordswarf called the Boot of Weirds and a hammerdwarf I forget, go to seal of the troll flood. Other militia tries to join them, but is delayed by more unpleasantness on the surface.

To make matters worse, I fiddle with my necromancer tower entrance and try to get a guild representative to leave, since his affairs with the Count were concluded. Instead, I accidentally release two of the necromancers. They go off in search of that one shoe they claimed three years ago, and along the way raise a dozen severed limbs and a single troll corpse.

My queen is somehow there too, having apparently disregarded the stringent burrow limitations restricting her to the second-cavern palace. Fortunately she is in full steel (perhaps explaining the burrow disregard) and proceeds to smash all the undead bits with her masterwork mace. The undead troll tries its hardest to dissemble a bowery in the meanwhile.

As soon as I start cleaning up this nonsense, and seal up the accidental entrance a second siege arrives. This one has two full squads of archers and a master archer leading some lashers. Fun!

It also brings trolls to the magma mine side of the mountain, and these proceed to tear up grates without triggering the mine, and while cutting off the routes which would trigger. Fortunately goblins overtake the trolls around the third mine, meaning that the trolls all simultaneously melt seconds later. Unfortunately, the elite archer and his lasher minions survive, huddling on the same outcropping that saved a few lashers in the last siege.  Even more unfortunately, the rest of the archers group by my gate and start shooting through it perforating a 13-year old new recruit in front of the whole militia.  The militia swarms them. All four new recruits bite the dust. The captain (an impossible monster with 70+ kills) shows up too late, and the secondary militia has to pick up the slack.

They do splendidly: the Boot of Weirds particularly distinguishes himself in a fight with a goblin axemaster. The whole fight consists of one attack: the Boot of Weirds punches the goblin and tears his brain. KO

Now to finish the tower before the next update.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:08:03 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28619 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:50 am »

I finally got to test my dragon defense - two tame dragons on ropes behind fortifications. Good news is that the test gave conclusive results - bad news is that my defense of war dragons sucks. They didn't breath fire, and the goblins just happily shot them to death while my military of 2 dwarves tried in vein to distract them. Good news again is that all the goblins were massacred by the dwarves.

Well, there goes two dragons. I have one more to train, and I'm sure I'll take better care of it. I definitely hvae to rethink tactics though.

In other news, I'm continuously reworking my young peasant training. I now have another gen-ed class, full of 12-13 year olds with wooden swords (easier to mass produce). I'm also thinking of giving them leather armor, as apparently my auror training (max 3, with a champion leader) is lacking supplies.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 1906 1907 [1908] 1909 1910 ... 3835