Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1907 1908 [1909] 1910 1911 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788321 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28620 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:43 am »

I finally got to test my dragon defense - two tame dragons on ropes behind fortifications.
>on ropes<
Remove that bit and try again. Things on ropes are hopelessly incapable of defending themselves.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28621 on: April 05, 2013, 11:20:42 am »

I finally got to test my dragon defense - two tame dragons on ropes behind fortifications.
>on ropes<
Remove that bit and try again. Things on ropes are hopelessly incapable of defending themselves.

^ That. I would try to just cage them, link the cages, and when invaders come pull the lever. You can re-cage them later, but it keeps them nearby while not limiting their ability to fight. They won't act as a warning system though, so you may need to chain up a kitten nearby to catch ambushes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28622 on: April 05, 2013, 11:25:05 am »

^ That. I would try to just cage them, link the cages, and when invaders come pull the lever. You can re-cage them later, but it keeps them nearby while not limiting their ability to fight. They won't act as a warning system though, so you may need to chain up a kitten nearby to catch ambushes.
Or just pasture them. The only thing chains are for is if you don't want your war creatures to go chasing after whatever they've just discovered.

Or keeping Dwarves alive in prison / invaders restrained.

Tibous

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Reflection of the fire is the shadow of the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #28623 on: April 05, 2013, 11:53:37 am »

Right now my strength is going through a serious problem of children orphaned.
I'm currently about 60 children and 30 adults neurotically working.Very curious fact, no?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28624 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »

I swear, those kea people are following the dwarven caravan. Every fall, I have to call in the marksdwarves.

Fortunately, most of the original marksdwarves were immigrant Rangers. And their replacements get plenty of practice on the ones that get grounded after the veterans chip a few of their bones.

Bastards almost stole an artifact gold high boot... which was almost stolen again by kobolds(averted via repeated savescum, they took some silver bolts instead. And no, not delivered by a  crossbow).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28625 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:15 pm »

I'm currently about 60 children and 30 adults neurotically working.Very curious fact, no?

I would try to just cage them, link the cages, and when invaders come pull the lever. You can re-cage them later, but it keeps them nearby while not limiting their ability to fight. They won't act as a warning system though, so you may need to chain up a kitten nearby to catch ambushes.

Don't mind me, I'm just greatly entertained by the CHILDSPLOSION
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:37:24 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28626 on: April 05, 2013, 03:16:07 pm »

I would try to just cage them, link the cages, and when invaders come pull the lever. You can re-cage them later, but it keeps them nearby while not limiting their ability to fight. They won't act as a warning system though, so you may need to chain up a kitten nearby to catch ambushes.

Don't mind me, I'm just greatly entertained by the CHILDSPLOSION
No, no, that's actually a very good idea.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28627 on: April 05, 2013, 04:08:05 pm »

"The world has passed into The Age of The Sunken Beans."
Oh well, that sounds... interesting ???

Got this message while embarking again. The last fort in that region went down the drain during its second necromancer invasion. I guess, I'm not yet ready for a "no traps, no locks" style of fortress. Even 45 moderately trained soldiers in full iron gear couldn't do a thing against 2 necromancers with their respective armies and some assorted undead wildlife. The last few survivors who hid in in the metalworking area were in for a little surprise when a dragon turned up and roasted the undead. Urist McWoodcutter's reanimated arm burned for weeks without dying :o Shortly after, a few goblins appeared, chopped up a bit of undead wildlife and badly wounded the dragon, so everything went great, but my merry band of dorfs killed eachother or died of thirst anyway. It was my first time actually losing a fort in battle and it was great !!Fun!!

Anyway, new fort, new luck it is. I embarked again directly adjacent to the old fort and will try to learn from past mistakes. Maybe a few traps and a safe locking mechanism should be allowed if nothing else helps. Danger rooms are still out, though.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28628 on: April 05, 2013, 05:10:55 pm »

so far very annoyed that goblin Christmas hasn't shown up yet, but a cyclops did show up. kinda pathetic, but i'll take it.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28629 on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mebzuth Famousrings having the honour of first Dwarf to sleep in the Quarry prison. She spammed the announcements page three times trying to get to her bedroom. I tried putting her on duty and off duty, but apparently all I needed to do was break the pathing and lock the door to her cell. Her full sentence will last to about 25 days total, an entire week having been passed already. Mayor Vabok got annoyed that trousers weren't being made fast enough!
Progress is being made though. Numerous roads have been constructed, the quarry has gotten deeper by 4zlvls and over 100 constructions have been completed in Silentthunders. 440 pending.
Slow years ahead. But alas! A new FB has shown up, and my Fort is beginning to menace with spikes. Fun times indeed.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28630 on: April 05, 2013, 08:44:50 pm »

Construction of the hugely broad all-green-glass palace went on hold after completion of the two living levels and a dining/noble level. Work effort was redirected to a green glass labyrinth for my captured minotaur, and then to a quartet of elevated marksdwarf towers to give me good coverage without having to expose them too much. Those were caught incomplete by a siege (hadn't connected the underground tunnels yet, and scaffolding was still up), so I constructed an optimized rope-reed cloth textile industry while I waited for the siege to leave. In keeping with the theme, all cloth will be dyed green.

After the siege left, a dwarf melted himself by throwing a troll corpse into the magma and getting splashed. I've built a track loop out of lead bars (because what else am I gonna do with 'em?) but I'm having Fire Imp problems right now.

The elves finally brought a breeding partner for the grizzly bear I bought off them a few years ago. I've got three little grizzly cubs I'm just itching to turn into war animals.

Somewhere in all this, a forgotten beast showed up in the first cavern layer. A snow quadruped with no syndromes or special attacks. It's essentially a none threat. I'll deal with it later.

Things are busy here in Sunfires.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28631 on: April 05, 2013, 09:07:32 pm »

So the king arrived. I looked at his relations and it turns out that the guy I just selected to be the designated clay/sand bitch was his only son. He showed up two years ago and didn't appear at all exceptional.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28632 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:30 pm »

:o

The Goblin Elite Crossbowman is caught in a pool of lava!
The Goblin Elite Crossbowman is caught in a pool of lava!
The Goblin Elite Crossbowman vomits.
The vomit burns away in the lava.

:D

(A well-timed lever pool while goblin squads cross the river bridge at Lashedbridge.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28633 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:43 pm »

I just had a battle (against goblin siegers) take place almost entirely underwater. And the dwarves were mostly novice swimmers, with I think one dabbler. They all survived, though.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #28634 on: April 05, 2013, 11:45:55 pm »

Nice!  I'll have to try that out after work.

I'm trying to get some Marksdwarves right now to try and take the fight to her, but my guess it will end with a bunch of dead dwarves.  I'll have to check out legends mode after that.

So I got three marksdwarves, and they've got some practice killing kobold snatchers.  Hopefully they will be able to take out this creature.  Unfortunately I've got a ghost floating around my fort now.  It doesn't seem to do much, but I think it just possessed my weaver with all the goblin kills.

Well.. that's the end of that.  The Vile Creature Gujeg Phantomghosts killed my entire militia.  Blood, gore, and broken bolts litter the map.  The rest of the dwarves decided it was best to live somewhere else. 
Pages: 1 ... 1907 1908 [1909] 1910 1911 ... 3835