Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1924 1925 [1926] 1927 1928 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787585 times)

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28875 on: April 23, 2013, 01:16:52 pm »

I've been watching my hammerlords bash goblins to death. They seem to like to go for the extremities first, starting with fingers, toes, noses and working their way up the limbs breaking every single joint and bone before crushing the spine or skull.

5 pages of combat, 1 hammerlord vs 1 elite goblin crossbowman. 4.99 pages were of the goblin being pulped.

They make sure to get the job done though. :)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28876 on: April 23, 2013, 02:11:50 pm »

I recently genned a world that might be... well... interesting. Got a human tower sitting in the middle of a terrifying scorching swamp, with an aquifer (obviously, since swamps have super poor drainage), and I also jacked up the megabeast/titan/demon/assorted !!FUN!! settings in worldgen to Battlefailed extremes. We're talking like... 1K titans (which probably also affects FBs), 1K demon types, 1K Night Trolls, 100 of each type of "interaction" and syndrome weather, increased vamp and werecurse types, and 10K of both mega and semimegabeasts.

Oh, and I set the triggers for titan attention at 30 dudes and 30K created wealth. The worldgen param set was titled "HORRIBLE DOOM" and I feel it's going to live up to its name.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28877 on: April 23, 2013, 02:18:16 pm »

Goblins, lots of goblins....

First they came in summer and ran straight into a human caravan. The guards killed everyone except for 2 trolls who seemed to get stuck, unable to decide if they wanted to come into the fort and stay in a nice cage, fight the remaining wounded human swordsman, or run away.
A depressed cheesemaker was dispatched as bait, but he only succeeded in obtaining the rank of skilled biter. Eventually I cracked and dispatched the hammerdwarves.

Just as the clean up ended, the dwarf caravan turned up....and more goblins. More mess to clean up and still not a single prisoner.

Then it was Goblin X-mas, no merchants to get in the way this time! Everyone scurried inside and waited patiently.....

....as a herd of giant wild boar decided to clog the outer ring of cages leaving the poor goblins to get diced by the weapon traps.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28878 on: April 23, 2013, 02:35:40 pm »

My dwarfs practice the art of statue making. Instead of carving goblins being smashed to pieces, set on fire etc... they carved things like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #28879 on: April 23, 2013, 02:44:06 pm »

My dwarfs practice the art of statue making. Instead of carving goblins being smashed to pieces, set on fire etc... they carved things like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of your engravers must be purged if they do not make anything suitably apocalyptic in their next five works.

Kuxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28880 on: April 23, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »

There's one major event that recently happened in my fort...

I created a goblin ambush-alarm in the outskirt of my map, a dog trapped in a building. I'd rather use cats to bait gobbos, to control the population, but all my cats already adopted dwarves and I don't want to risk my fort to crumble due to tantrum spirals. I must emphasize, I'D REALLY RATHER USE CATS THAN DOGS AS BAIT! Anyho, to enter the room with the trapped dog the unsuspecting gobbos have to cross a small passage full of stone-traps with 3 z-level deep pits at the sides, which the stone traps should shove them into. I have never tried this approach of trap and I haven't bothered to look into similar approaches online, so I was very excited about seeing it in action!

The bait dog gave birth to some puppies while being chained inside the building. One of the puppies ran outside the building, and that's when it was spotted - a werehorse! Ferociously the werehorse attacked the puppy and killed it instantly. It went into my building and straight through the stone traps but none were triggered as these nasty creatures doesn't trigger traps. The werehorse killed the other puppies and the bait dog. Right after the bait dog suffocated the werehorse transformed into Vucar Ushatil, a dwarf peasant. He didn't seem to be bothered about the situation at all, and headed towards the exit. He had to go through the passage, as that's the only way out. BAAM! He is hit by the stone-trap and is propelled by the force straight down into the pit!

That's how I captured a werehorse.

Edit: I tried to trap Vulcar, while in human form, in a cage. I built a tunnel full of cages leading to the bottom of the pit, and when my miner struck the last piece of rock he spotted Vulcar in human form and killed him... Stupid dwarf...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:26:44 pm by Kuxe »

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28881 on: April 23, 2013, 08:06:56 pm »

After a mishap with a weremammoth, I have four or five military dwarves with missing limbs and other curse-threatening bites. This may prove problematic...
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28882 on: April 23, 2013, 08:15:40 pm »

After a mishap with a weremammoth, I have four or five military dwarves with missing limbs and other curse-threatening bites. This may prove problematic...

Nah. Put them in a special "crazy go-lucky" squad you can activate and release on enemies to deal with tough enemies who are likely to injure them, like archers or forgotten beasts. Keep them locked up in a room behind a bridge most of the time, with nothing but each-other to keep them happy (because they'll wreck their furniture.) If they take serious injuries in combat, they'll be healed by the next full moon, and as long as they're able to frolic together and have new clothing delivered occasionally, they should stay content.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28883 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:18 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Lorbam has come!  A towering quadruped composed of water.  It has a spiral horn and a long bloated body!  Beware its deadly dust!

...It promptly collided with an obstacle, got caught in its own dust and died an uneventful death.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28884 on: April 23, 2013, 09:07:52 pm »

It occurred to me that my hunters were going into the caverns to kill troglodytes. My first thought was to stop my hunters because of the occasional death, but now i have decided this is crossbow training for an emergency situation where i need to draft and if anybody dies there's nothing i can do about it. Luckily nobody seems to care about the hunters anyway.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #28885 on: April 23, 2013, 09:37:36 pm »

Plus troglodytes are smelly and are basically the definition of subsentient humanoid.

So basically, mobile archery targets.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28886 on: April 23, 2013, 10:01:03 pm »

I've managed to capture a herd of dralthas, a giant toad, and a large rat at soakpaddles. Also got my first necromancer ambush while my walls were down for construction, my first military-related dwarf death happened. He got to the refuse room without my knowledge of him even existing. I only noticed because of the combat logs, and I locked the door in time. I built cage traps and caught the various undead bits. But not before a hunter walked in to pick up some bone bolts because I have a craftsdwarf shop in there too. He died. Another hunter has now killed the same buzzard twice.

The good news is that I have a necromancer in a cage!

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28887 on: April 23, 2013, 10:32:51 pm »

Plus troglodytes are smelly and are basically the definition of subsentient humanoid.

Exactly everybody wins. Well except the troglodytes, and i guess the ones who die in training don't but everyone else does
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #28888 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48:11 pm »

Exactly everybody wins. Well except the troglodytes, and i guess the ones who die in training don't but everyone else does

Also the people who have to clean up after the practise probably are losers too.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28889 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:11 pm »

Wombats.

Setting up a new fort.  Two small portions of the map are evil biome.  Undead creatures wander in pretty regularly.  I've seen undead coyotes, wolverines, peregrine falcons, and kingsnakes.  None of them have posed a serious problem.  Seems anyone can punch any of these creatures to death, while only receiving a few bruises in return.  I had a marksdwarf and an axedwarf, two from my population of 15, assigned to patrol in turn and keep the undead cleared out for the time being.  They even took on a pack of 6 undead coyotes by themselves, unarmored.  They were doing a fine job.

Until the wombat.  A single undead wombat killed them both, almost without a struggle.  As it was shaking my axedwarf around by the head, I sent the entire fortress in the swarm and pummel it to death before it could finish the job and free up its greedy mouth for another victim.

Fucking wombats.  I'll be more wary of them in the future.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:23:27 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1924 1925 [1926] 1927 1928 ... 3835