Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1925 1926 [1927] 1928 1929 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787701 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28890 on: April 24, 2013, 01:19:39 am »

And that is the ultimate product of Australian influence on biology.
You're welcome.

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28891 on: April 24, 2013, 01:29:26 pm »

Perhaps I shouldn't trade away my 12566☼ ≡perch, ♀ roast [61]≡ with eight ingredients, but it buys me so much metal.

But seriously, eight ingredients?  How did that happen?
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28892 on: April 24, 2013, 01:29:57 pm »

wow 8?describe it??!

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28893 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:33 pm »

Perhaps I shouldn't trade away my 12566☼ ≡perch, ♀ roast [61]≡ with eight ingredients, but it buys me so much metal.

If I recall correctly, its a "feature" related to the Planepacked glitch. I forget exactly how it works, but if a cook is restricted to a burrow they might keep gathering ingredients for a prepared meal even if they already have more than the required number.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28894 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:55 pm »

I'd think that if the cook is restricted to a burrow they'll cancel the job as soon as they think they need to work outside the burrow. Strange moods won't because strange moods can't be cancelled partway through.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28895 on: April 24, 2013, 02:54:04 pm »

Finally, fresh blood migrants!

They were accosted by the 3 goblin ambush squads that were loitering around the walls, and a single hammerlord held off all 3 squads and sent them into retreat. Lost only a single migrant, and he was an unlucky cook who took a bolt to the face just before the hammerlords came out. Few injuries to the migrants, but that's all.

Yeah, a lasher squad, bow squad, and mace squad were solo'd by a single hammerlord... granted, she is legendary, and one of the original 7, and clad in nothing but the finest masterwork steel we can produce, but damn. She's earned a nice room, and a tomb, and anything else fitting her accomplishment. She did have a martial trance, but that was as the goblins realized they were totally screwed and ran for it, but she still chased them down and killed them mercilessly.

Oh, and she earned a title, Bridledlanced, the Contemptible Church.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28896 on: April 24, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »

I knew the king of my dwarf civilization was a goblin... But the recent legendary toy has an image with an interesting story. Caten canyonwoman, the goblin VAMPIRE ascended to the position of dwarf king in 438. He has been king for the last 620 years. Will be fun when the bastard gets here... 
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28897 on: April 24, 2013, 03:59:55 pm »

Another forgotten beast showed up at my fort; this one however wreaked havoc by killing one of my squads by breathing fire and being a nuisance.  Also, some dwarven wine blew up as he destroyed one of my stills; had to seal off the cavern level before it advanced into the fort.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28898 on: April 24, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »

If I recall correctly, its a "feature" related to the Planepacked glitch. I forget exactly how it works, but if a cook is restricted to a burrow they might keep gathering ingredients for a prepared meal even if they already have more than the required number.

An alternative theory I've heard is that this happens when, due to some bug, the cook grabs an already-cooked prepared meal and combines it with some other ingredients.  So this could be a roast made of four biscuits, for example.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28899 on: April 24, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »

My game crashed again (accursed autosave! Thought I had it set to seasonal, apparently not).
I had just finished watching my legendary swordsdwarf militia commander with her steel longsword, blinged out with blue and white diamonds (masterwork mod, yay!) slaughter three goblin lashers in the time it took her more... "special" sparring partner beat one to death with a training sword. I'm not sure which one of them is more dwarfy.

I'm going to start a new fort with uber hardcore rules. No trading prepared meals, only trap components in weapon traps (and only one per trap), no MAKING said trap components on site, they must be traded for, and various other rules like no walling off, only doors allowed. The hardest rule I think though will be "no jobs assigned unless said dwarf already has at least novice in the related skill, minus architecture because only RARELY does a dwarf with architecture immigrate.

I suspect my brewer Original 7 dwarf will die within a season and ill be stuck without booze for a LONG time. Bets on how long this fort lasts?

Yes, I'm a masochist. But, oh, the stories they will tell of this fort in later years.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28900 on: April 24, 2013, 05:34:45 pm »

what about children growing up? are the just going to be haulers the rest of their life till a chance at legendary craftsomething.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28901 on: April 24, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »

The caverns have been secured using Dwarven ingenuity.  The Forgotten Beast Rusmo Kubsmobstop was tough, but even it couldn't withstand a controlled cave in.  Now, to replant the farm in the caves...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28902 on: April 24, 2013, 07:52:06 pm »

Wombats.

Setting up a new fort.  Two small portions of the map are evil biome.  Undead creatures wander in pretty regularly.  I've seen undead coyotes, wolverines, peregrine falcons, and kingsnakes.  None of them have posed a serious problem.  Seems anyone can punch any of these creatures to death, while only receiving a few bruises in return.  I had a marksdwarf and an axedwarf, two from my population of 15, assigned to patrol in turn and keep the undead cleared out for the time being.  They even took on a pack of 6 undead coyotes by themselves, unarmored.  They were doing a fine job.

Until the wombat.  A single undead wombat killed them both, almost without a struggle.  As it was shaking my axedwarf around by the head, I sent the entire fortress in the swarm and pummel it to death before it could finish the job and free up its greedy mouth for another victim.

Fucking wombats.  I'll be more wary of them in the future.
REMEMBER TUNNEL SEVENTEEN! /does anybody here even Digger

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28903 on: April 24, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »

So remember that Forgotten beast alligator I mentioned a few pages ago? turns out he's still here. I forgot about him until I noticed a big red flashing A doing a cursory glance of the caverns. He's still behaving himself, so I'll let him stay. He's kinda cute, really. A giant skinless alligator with some toxic dust. He can be nourishedcobalt's mascot. I would love to draw up a flag with him, but I don't think it would turn out well.
If anyone wants to make one for me for whatever reason, his description again:
Oggez Estilanan, "Oggez the Whirling Nights" A towering skinless alligator, with two narrow tails. It squirms and fidgets. It has poisonous gas.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28904 on: April 24, 2013, 10:08:45 pm »

My arachnids (spider people) were ambushed by elves. The elves stood no chance but they seem to have brutalized a donkey we had sitting outside, the donkey has one hoof left and lost it's tongue on top of that. She will be protected no matter the cost.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."
Pages: 1 ... 1925 1926 [1927] 1928 1929 ... 3835