Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1926 1927 [1928] 1929 1930 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787582 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28905 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »

Oggez Estilanan... It has poisonous gas.

He shouldn't have eaten those forgotten beans.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28906 on: April 25, 2013, 01:39:01 am »

Just had a pair of goblin ambush teams - one of axes, one of bows, kill two dwarves, and injure a few more.
Then, as soon as that problem is done, a fucking Jabberer shows up and starts harassing some of my dwarves working on cleaning up the mess from some caveswallow men, he killed a legendary engraver, three macedwarves, and ripped the foot off an axedwarf before he finally went down. I hate these bloody jabberers. Hope this is the only one in the area, I'm still working on setting up walls and defenses in that layer, so there is nowhere safe to work down there yet, and thanks to the caveswallow men and some trolls, I have armour and weapons scattered across a good chunk of the cavern anyway that all needs to be hauled in anyway.

Update:
The dwarven caravan FINALLY left. It took them until mid-spring (14th of Slate) to finish packing up all the crap I sold them and they have finally embarked on the trip home, after spending the winter safely in the depot behind our walls.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:11:50 am by Jenniretta »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28907 on: April 25, 2013, 08:36:40 pm »

Preparing to carve an entrance to the first layer of caverns so a) flightless FBs can get in if they ever show, and b) my dorfs can loot those long-dead snakefolk harvest trees and silk in the area.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28908 on: April 25, 2013, 09:51:24 pm »

REMEMBER TUNNEL SEVENTEEN! /does anybody here even Digger

*Raises hand*
Been a while, though, I recall it's "Done".
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28909 on: April 25, 2013, 10:13:39 pm »

Got tired of the titan just sitting in the river.  So I built some track and then dumped a cart load of magma on his position.  Now encased in obsidian for his final rest.

Singular lack of intruders over the past 3-4 seasons.  Just allows the smiths to complete more armor and weapons and the masons to add to the walls and fortifications around the perimeter.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28910 on: April 25, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »

The peasant Tosid Loloksazir Dallithegom Atul has come! A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

I was surprised by this one. I knew werecreatures could show up in humanoid form, but this one first of all appeared right outside my (unlocked) fortress door and then stood still right outside it, ignoring my worker dwarves, like he was a building destroyer. Why was he sneaky? I know he wasn't, like, a kobold thief who turned into a dwarf or something, because he wasn't described as "crazed for blood and flesh". But then, he shouldn't have been a building destroyer except in werebeast form.

Two crossbow bolts were enough to take him out, so I didn't see any further behavior; I guess the Mystery of the Werepeasant will remain a mystery.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28911 on: April 26, 2013, 12:31:30 am »

The peasant Tosid Loloksazir Dallithegom Atul has come! A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

I was surprised by this one. I knew werecreatures could show up in humanoid form, but this one first of all appeared right outside my (unlocked) fortress door and then stood still right outside it, ignoring my worker dwarves, like he was a building destroyer. Why was he sneaky? I know he wasn't, like, a kobold thief who turned into a dwarf or something, because he wasn't described as "crazed for blood and flesh". But then, he shouldn't have been a building destroyer except in werebeast form.

Two crossbow bolts were enough to take him out, so I didn't see any further behavior; I guess the Mystery of the Werepeasant will remain a mystery.
Same happened to me, Only difference is I got a HUMAN CHILD who got snagged in my cage traps. Kept wondering what to do with this human child, finally I used him as target practice, died too fast though.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28912 on: April 26, 2013, 04:22:18 am »

Same happened to me, Only difference is I got a HUMAN CHILD who got snagged in my cage traps. Kept wondering what to do with this human child, finally I used him as target practice, died too fast though.
Peasants, children, goblins, it's all target practice to dwarves
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28913 on: April 26, 2013, 07:21:36 am »

Had A vampire show up, and immediately be elected mayor. I drafter him and set him to clearing out the caverns, hoping to lose him (I don't like having undead nobles, I prefer to restrict them to the military where I can keep them away from their snacks) while he made life a bit easier for me. Unfortunately, he cleared out the caverns, and the surface, and the caverns again, all on his own, with a bismuth bronze axe of minimum quality. He wasn't even injured.

So, I sent him to stand guard on the drawbridge, and lifted it under his feet. an axedwarf wandering by drowned in the moat, but the vampire landed three tiles away, with only a bruised leg.

Finally, when I was re-lowering the bridge, he got caught under it. I lost a couple masterpieces (a masterpiece gold flask, leather cloak, and some copper armour, I think) but at least he's dealt with. Lost that axe of his too. Good thing I have managed to trade for a good amount of iron, steel and bronze to replace it.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28914 on: April 26, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »

A human caravan was leaving as I was removing ramps around my pen/pasture level... One of the wagons got stuck and can't get off my map.

I suppose I could try and build some new ramps to help them get off, although I am kind of inclined to just have them starve to death... I mean, they're just humans.

Decisions, decisions...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28915 on: April 26, 2013, 05:12:48 pm »

A human caravan was leaving as I was removing ramps around my pen/pasture level... One of the wagons got stuck and can't get off my map.

I suppose I could try and build some new ramps to help them get off, although I am kind of inclined to just have them starve to death... I mean, they're just humans.

Decisions, decisions...
I heard feeding them crossbow bolts is always a good plan to prevent starvation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28916 on: April 26, 2013, 05:54:29 pm »

I really should've thought of that one sooner... The insane traders killed my military and by extension my fortress... Poor planning on my part really.

Meanwhile in my new fortress, a moody dwarf requested yarn cloth. I had no industry set up whatsoever (just started out) so panic mode enabled.

A migrant wave brought a baby alpaca, but as it was just a baby, there was no shearing to be done. Problems.
I was already planning the grave for poor Urist McYarnlover when suddenly I got an announcement: "An animal has grown to become a stray alpaca".
I quickly set up the industry, sheared, threaded and weaved... And I just got Rovodnilun, a larch scepter.

I really can't believe my luck on this one, so many things had to randomly go right for this to work out... Wow.

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28917 on: April 26, 2013, 06:34:56 pm »

For the second time in four months, Metalgear is under seige by goblins. At least they had the decency to wait for the merchants this time. Though the previous seige took out most of the military, so we're really not in any shape to do any defending. And I'm not sure whether to keep the gates open for the merchants or let them die. Oh yeah, and this time they got weaponmasters and the war leader with them. They escallated things pretty quickly.

EDIT: And the goblins immediately started attacking their war leader. What is it with this goblin civ and idiotic leaders?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:44:37 pm by The Hadad »
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28918 on: April 26, 2013, 07:48:13 pm »

this happens because werecreatures show up in sneak mode to try to ambush you. By the time they're exposed they may have already transformed back to their original form.

btw almightyone i would have weaponized that kid, make evil weather turn him into a husk so he transforms into a bloodthirsty killer that i release on captive goblins/trapped forgotten beasts once a month. It's practically an immortal weapon because huskifying makes it only killable by bisection or decapitation. And the transformation heals all wounds.

The Hadad

• Bay Watcher
  • Lighten up, it was funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28919 on: April 26, 2013, 10:06:09 pm »

Is being forced to just sit and watch the game run because things are too chaotic to pay attention to everything that's happening considered normal? Cuz we've survived the seige (with 17 casualties, not counting animals), but things are such a mess I'm not sure what I can do except watch dwarves scramble around.
>Unnecessary detail
>Dwarf Fortress.

Excuse me?
Pages: 1 ... 1926 1927 [1928] 1929 1930 ... 3835