Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1946 1947 [1948] 1949 1950 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5863257 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29205 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:47 pm »

DaubedDiamonds is preparing to split some of it's 155 population into a labor camp near the surface.
This is insurance against a tantrum spiral, and will occupy some of my idlers.
Eventually, I hope to remove the laborers so I can open up residence for vampire migrants.

The labor camp has a food warehouse, a booze warehouse, a bedroom, and a dining room.
It will need to pierce the aquifer to supplement its stone supply.
To assist with the excavation, it also has a room containing three copper wheelbarrows and a dwarf corpse.

All that's missing now is farming supplies.

This fort has just the right amount of evil.  undead spawns and a cloud that zombifies. 
So what's worse?  an undead giant kea or a vile ash  giant kea zombie?

Nice site.
How did you get vile ash on the zombie kea? They fly no?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29206 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:24 pm »

Chained it up, along with a horse.

Just having fun with it all.

EDIT:  note to self.  biome reanimates.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:50:48 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29207 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:47 pm »

And after all that bother, Lornicat's dug its way straight to framerate death.  No !!fun!! at all...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29208 on: May 17, 2013, 12:22:03 am »

Relicshield, population 59
5th Granite, Early Spring of 261

The fortress celebrated it's 10th year, longer than any other fort in the region.  The underground trade network has allowed non-stop commerce.  With the coal from the Mountainhome and wood from the humans and elves, the forges of Relicshield have been burning nonstop.  Recruits were handpicked from the hauler force, bringing the number of fully steelclad warriors up to 15.  A weredeer and minotaur were no match for the defenders.  There was much to celebrate.  However, the festivities are tempered with tragedy due to the first abduction of a child by enemy forces.

SIX snatchers were discovered during the largest assault against Relicshield to date.  3 were slain immediately, 2 were chased off, but somehow 1 kidnapper was able to slip by.  Mosus, son of Goden the broker and Edem the carpenter, was only 2 years old when he was snatched away.  His 18 year old sister Goden II, the youngest member of Relicshield's militia, was in the battle, but she had no idea Mosus was anywhere nearby before he was snatched.  His older brother, Edem II, has sworn to join the militia in five years, when he is of age.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:27:01 am by VerdantSF »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29209 on: May 17, 2013, 07:12:15 am »

I would like to complain about collasped walls not having physics.  I now have floating minecraft dirt.

BELAY THAT.  The floor above was intact.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:23:21 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29210 on: May 17, 2013, 07:42:36 am »

A metal-smith went into a secretive mood in Oileddangles (thank you random name generator. I try not to imagine where that name came from) Lucky we traded for an anvil from the caravan. Lucky they still brought an anvil after their wagons bypassed our inaccessible site. We built the forge. Now we just need to build a wood furnace to make charcoal and a smelter to smelt the one piece of metal-bearing ore in the fortress.

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29211 on: May 17, 2013, 08:07:38 am »

On the stock report, I had a lot of strange stuff (silver arrows for example) that I hadn't made or bought and there were no caravans around. It appears that somehow a wagon had died (a dead log wagon) just near to the fort entrance (no idea how that happened as invasions are off, unless it was attacked by some annoying badger sows).

Anyway, I have around 100 'free' objects to claim for my own.

Barek Longboe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29212 on: May 17, 2013, 08:18:54 am »

Fucking. Raptors.

I just embarked to an area that is peaceful. So after getting all my supplies inside. Raptors came, lots of them. I lost 5 of my 7 dwarves. The survivors: Melbil Ablemonom, a male miner and Sazir Urolsoshor, a female farmer. They will have to keep this fortress alive, until migrants come atleast. Also one of my horses kicked another raptor to death by kicking it to the head. It got the name Becorzoz.

Edit: Migrants! 7 of them! We might just survive this
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:29:19 am by Barek Longboe »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29213 on: May 17, 2013, 12:21:16 pm »

It has been quite boring in Landwound for a few years now. Goblins show up, are greeted by the growing ranks of legendary militia, and gift us with clothing and armor. Necromancers occasionally show up, just to be repelled by goblins.

Set up a mist generator right over the main entrance to the shaft leading into the ground, so everyone gets bathed / misted. Seems to be quite a nice addition, and not a big loss of FPS.

A dining room and food production area have finally been set up, as well as individual bedrooms for everyone. A marble door, glass cabinet, and bed for all!

The walls rise higher and higher with each year, as more marble is pulled from the depths. Some is diverted to steel, while the rest is converted to blocks for building the walls.

No magma yet, so charcoal is the fuel of choice. Sadly, the surface has been totally deforested, and in order to remedy this two soil layers have been carved out to serve as a tree farm.

All in all, just a boring time, with little bits of fun sprinkled in.

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #29214 on: May 17, 2013, 01:21:40 pm »

Currently I'm trying to stream line my industry. So far a lot of my miners have just been taking breaks whenever I assign new work :-[.

Besides that one of my dwarves was trying to create an Artfiact out of Metal Bars and Shells. I didn't have any shells so eventually she just gave up and started moping around. She slowly made her way to her bedroom which took about half a season. Once she was there she moped around until she died of starvation. This sucked since I would most likely had gotten an amazing bone or metal crafter out of that which could have boosted my trading.

After that happened I found out her husband hadn't found out about her death yet, when he went to take a nap in their bedroom he immediately became ecstatic upon finding her body. After that he immediately held a party where a single child attended and immediately became depressed. ???

Later on I assigned him to be a stone carver since it was taking quite a while to engrave the walls and floors of my work area. After that I found him creating carvings of her death. I don't know what to do with him but so far he hasn't made anyone else really depressed so I'll leave him be for now.
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29215 on: May 17, 2013, 03:11:47 pm »

I made a copy of the 'resting on pillars' fort, removed all still-attached natural walls and ordered the Four Levers of Suicide pulled. It took about two minutes for the game to process it all, then the vast majority of my citizens died. Fifteen of about ninety are left alive, including the Mayor - 'no job (caged)'. Most of the survivors are unhappy to miserable, thanks to the massive number of masterworks that got demolished in the process, not to mention family members. Except for the manager - six of the other survivors were her children, including the two babies she's carrying around. She registers as 'ecstatic'. She simply shook off the cave-in dust, took a wonderful soapy bath and decided that she'd now go and pasture some of the surviving animals... Oh, right, and there's an elf merchant who survived the thirty-level drop into the first cavern level. Not bad.

Actually, i think all the surviving dwarfs are only not mad because most of the corpses are completely crushed and impossible to locate.

Anyway, a very dwarven way for a fortress to end. I'll keep it in mind for later forts.

Edit: Haha, the game crashed trying to save after abandoning. But at least the gamelog was usable. Pretty impressive, about 45 pages of lost masterwork messages. And the majority of masterful clothes and crafts probably survived, because they were stored on the surface - the manager's a legendary weaver/clothier/dyer and she remained ecstatic.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:36:13 pm by Larix »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29216 on: May 17, 2013, 03:54:04 pm »

After that happened I found out her husband hadn't found out about her death yet, when he went to take a nap in their bedroom he immediately became ecstatic upon finding her body.
Is he going to bury she or he is just a psychopath?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #29217 on: May 17, 2013, 04:36:19 pm »

Just watched a Cyclops get ripped apart by 5 or so war dogs. Was not expecting the buggers to kill it actually. Made for a good laugh though.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

ramensoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29218 on: May 17, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »

So I created a new fortress. It is called Swordpants. That is all. I'll be back later with updates for Swordpants.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29219 on: May 17, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »

Another goblin seige at DaubedDiamonds. Pull Level command issued. DwarfA in security room goes On Break, then Sleep. DwarfB in security room goes Sleep, then Eat. Goblins get in. Goblins slaughter 60 dwarves in SubFort#1. Goblins are removed. SubFort#1 goes berserk and kills another 30 dwarves. SubFort#2 goes berserk. 20 more dwarfs die. A second, larger seige arrives. The rest of SubFort#1 is murdered. I try to pull survivors from SubFort#2 into the security room. All the miasma and death moves into the security room. Migrants arrive and see a StarkRavingMad person and miasma fuming out the entrance ramp. Migrants path fort and die.Three remaining dwarves in SubFort#2: a child, a mayor who "Counduct Meeting", and a militia commander who "Attend Meeting". Complete fort gridlock for three months. More migrants arrive. Migrants manage to establish base in SubFort#2. A goblin commander was caught in a cage, so his squad can't leave the map. Can't get migrants until they leave. Months of buildup. Attack goblin squad with 10 untrained dwarves with 2 war hammers, a pick, and 7 training axes. The end.

My conclusion
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:42:21 pm by ZzarkLinux »
Pages: 1 ... 1946 1947 [1948] 1949 1950 ... 3836