Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843178 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #29295 on: May 21, 2013, 05:03:03 pm »

and (if they're deemed worthy) a slab in the Hall of Heroes.

Oh, I like that idea!  I'm DEFINITELY adding one to my current fort.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29296 on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:47 pm »

I have a hall of heroes, with golden sarcophagus, surrounded by magma in the deepest level, only accessible by a golden bridge and a golden lever.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29297 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »

I like to put all creature with special names on a slab.  Usually they go opposite the pet cemetery, which is above the first level of the catacombs.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29298 on: May 21, 2013, 08:05:26 pm »

I wanted to save them, but the ettin eventually rotted away, and since I have necromancers occasionally wandering about, I figured I should do something a little less dangerous :P

I love that this quote came from "Lich180."
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29299 on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:18 pm »

"...Dibs on the pick."
[/quote]

Dibs on the sig!
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29300 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:48 pm »

A goblin-man was spotted on the outskirts of Ghoulechoed. The brain damaged militia commander Shook and her squad were sent after it. Shook, being the fastest, got there first and mined the goblin-man's leg off. Then, the goblin man punched Shook's shin so hard, it fractured her shin through her scaleplate leggings (leather of equivalent strength to bronze).

Thanks to DrPoo's swift intervention, Shook was rescued, carried to the hospital, cleaned up and splinted in less than two days. Shook got back up and back into duty.

We've had a major migrant wave, which puts our population at 153. That's allowed me to draft a bunch of migrants, including a dwarf with the best name ever: 'Steelcyclones'. She was nicknamed 'Blades'.

Miauw has learnt the secrets of life, and is now a lifemancer. He has taken up residence in the main hallway, where he casts healing spells on all he sees; and if someone should die near him, he resurrects them. Of course, he's fragile as all heck.

Food is beginning to stabilise.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29301 on: May 21, 2013, 09:59:44 pm »

A goblin-man was spotted on the outskirts of Ghoulechoed. The brain damaged militia commander Shook and her squad were sent after it. Shook, being the fastest, got there first and mined the goblin-man's leg off. Then, the goblin man punched Shook's shin so hard, it fractured her shin through her scaleplate leggings (leather of equivalent strength to bronze).

Thanks to DrPoo's swift intervention, Shook was rescued, carried to the hospital, cleaned up and splinted in less than two days. Shook got back up and back into duty.

We've had a major migrant wave, which puts our population at 153. That's allowed me to draft a bunch of migrants, including a dwarf with the best name ever: 'Steelcyclones'. She was nicknamed 'Blades'.

Miauw has learnt the secrets of life, and is now a lifemancer. He has taken up residence in the main hallway, where he casts healing spells on all he sees; and if someone should die near him, he resurrects them. Of course, he's fragile as all heck.

It sounds cool, what's your mod?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29302 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »

the sand titan, Thasa Fediyque, paid a surprise year-one visit to one of my many sea-experimentation forts. Supplies were rushed inside as it meandered. When it came, one dwarf stayed above to run around and distract it while the wall was built, but the instant before the wall was completed three dwarves left the meeting area and rushed outside to join the still un-caught sacrifice getting themselves slaughtered with him (no one is too fast but there is no-were to go). The three remaining dwarves will have to remain sane and survive long enough to witness this experiment's effect on the siege.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29303 on: May 21, 2013, 10:20:43 pm »

It sounds cool, what's your mod?

That would be "Masterwork", by Meph. It's a customisable content mod that also massively improves FPS and fixes bugs.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29304 on: May 21, 2013, 11:34:20 pm »

Year 2 underway in Swordgleams.

Perimeter wall is up on both the main Keep and the outer courtyard.  The latter has gates under construction to help with the limited set of cage traps.  The traps just caught a pile of goblin snatchers who know sit in the recently excavated prison pit.

The miners found two caverns and also some tetrahedrite ore before striking the Magma Sea.  The ore is being collected into a stockpile as the Foundry is not quite operational.  "Not quite operational" describes a great deal of the fort as forty-five dwarves run about working on partially completed projects including the cistern, residence block, main dining hall, hospital, etc.  Most of the workshops, minecart stockpiles and standard stockpiles are in place so most of the non-metal industries are working and starting to churn out products.

A couple of iron mine carts are on-hand and once some glass pump parts are finished it is expected that some cart loads of magma will be brought up shortly.  A bit too long a haul to power a pump stack or cart run, so manually loading for now.  And given the general lack of ore here building the Foundry in the depths would be marginal.

Militia is centered around two sword dwarves who are in constant training and sparring, supported by the half dozen migrant rangers which luckily includes an elite marksdwarf.

And plans now include building a special pasture for the captive rhinos in order to tame them and train them as war animals.  (Yes, the grazer rating in the raws was tweaked to make them not starve to death.)  Sick of having kobolds knife guard dogs!
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29305 on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:35 am »

Relicshield, pop. 78, Mid-Summer of 269 (Year 18)

The fortress's grizzly bear breeding program was scaled back after far too many cubs were getting in the way and slowing everything down.  Correspondence with slothen, a renowned scholar from the Mountainhome, yielded a far more efficient plan.

Disturbing rumors of titans who still walk the lands have led to the construction of a cave-in trap within the underground trade network.  However, testing was postponed due to a spate of goblin ambushes at the eastern outpost. 

Meanwhile, Edem II, the young recruit who suffered grievous injuries a year ago, is now back on his feet and fully healed 8)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29306 on: May 22, 2013, 06:31:12 am »

First non-child artifact, a one-humped camel leather trousers.

First ambush, two squads. Nine dwarves dead, both squads wiped out. Thankfully, the forges have turned out a fair amount of high-quality weapons, and are on their way to making armor as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29307 on: May 22, 2013, 07:04:40 am »

Just lost a fort to the first visiting megabeast. It was a 'hill titan'. A giant fly, that spat webs. That meant it was immune to the traps and death pit I was using to keep my fort safe during the industrial buildup of the second year.

Damn thing flew right to the bottom of the pit. Thankfully didn't seem interested in wrecking the doors I had down there but I walled up the access tunnel. It eventually ended up lying in wait down there until a patrol hit the traps above and got swatted down into the pit. My vain hopes they'd at least wound it did nothing, being stunned after falling 10+ z levels if they didn't die outright was more than enough for them to be webbed at eaten. Then the thing went back up the pit and got dangerously close to the heart of my fortress. I attempted to wall myself in, but it caught and killed the mason building the wall and then went rampaging through the fort. In the end I burrowed everyone in the meeting hall and laughed at the combat logs.

The beast had so many limbs, it was grabbing people in it's wings and swinging them round, at the same time kicking other people into walls at speed and spitting webs everywhere.

Megabeast sized fly kicks in a high population area resulted in chain reactions of dwarves hitting dwarves and eventually walls.

Not sure what I could have really done in this situation, other than draft everyone. But having the whole fort of 40 or so guys wrestle the beast would probably have resulted in more casualties than the resulting tantrum spiral could have recovered from.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:15:31 am by Loctavus »
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29308 on: May 22, 2013, 07:27:38 am »

I fucking hate kangaroos.

My fortress was doing great, with 70 dwarves and lots of wealth.

I was starting to make some weapons for a military, when I had this great idea.

Some kangaroos had been caged in some of my outdoor traps, so I started to tame them.

I found out there were only females, so I tried to butcher them. After all but one of the kangaroos were buthcered, a message popped up.

The Stray Kangaroo Doe has reverted to a wild state!

I didn't think too much about it until it killed a miner. Then I put everyone onto a squad to desperetely try to kill it.

It had killed 48 dwarves and had been given the badass name of "Steeldeath". Someone finally got a lucky strike on her head and killed it. The fortress eventually fell after the following T-spiral.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29309 on: May 22, 2013, 10:34:24 am »

I'm glad I didn't bother with 40 guys verses a megabeast when 70 can't handle one kangaroo.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?
Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 3836