Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2046 2047 [2048] 2049 2050 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789014 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30705 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »

Code: [Select]
KyuokoLilica, "RuinCloistered", a bronze battle axe
This is a bronze battle axe.
All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.
This item menaces with spikes of bronze and birch.
On the item is an image of a willow in two-humped camel bone.
Pretty good. This also tells me that this time NobleFort should receive decorations on its armor.

Runehunter1212

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30706 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »

Apparently glass windows + Magma pump stack + tantrums + hospital, do not mix.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30707 on: September 04, 2013, 03:36:59 am »

I'm trying to figure out what kind of punishment I should apply for a dwarf leading ennemy armies ...

This guy, general during the last siege, was caught in a cage : he's a dwarf ! I'm startled by this betrayal
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

mounf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30708 on: September 04, 2013, 05:26:22 am »

My new fort, WatchDiamond, just entered it's fifth year. It now has a failry impressive (by my standards) military of 11 legendary melee dwarfs (thanks to the advice on 2 dwarf squads I found on the forum), plus assorted training squads and some competent Marksdwarfs. When an ambush caught some of my dwarfs out in the open, I sent out the 2 melee squads to see what legendary skills could do.

I was a little nervous as previous forts had seen the maiming and death of many less experienced dwarfs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out legendary melee dwarfs are more than a match for many times there own number of goblins but my legendary miners are capable of accidently killing themselves whilst digging holes in the ground.

Oh... and that mixed Marksdwarf/bowdwarf squads are a bad idea due to cheerfully equiping the wrong types of amunition and then standing around waving at the goblins massing outside the gates.

Watchdiamond continues to grow, another 2 years and the dining hall should be complete (assuming that the rest of my miners don't kill themselves) and it seems that I have a halfway decent military. The only deaths so far have been due to vampire (a legendary axedwarf/legendary armorsmith and 2 unskilled peasants) and my legendary miner.

No longer a lurker....
----------------------------------
"Oops"

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30709 on: September 04, 2013, 08:00:44 am »

I'm trying to figure out what kind of punishment I should apply for a dwarf leading ennemy armies ...

This guy, general during the last siege, was caught in a cage : he's a dwarf ! I'm startled by this betrayal

Let him go or drop him into the cat pit.

If you do not have a cat pit, proceed to build said cat pit.

Death by a thousand scratches.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30710 on: September 04, 2013, 08:20:05 am »

Cats would attack ?
I don't have that many cats, but I do have a lot of ducks and hens. Would death by peckering be acceptable as well ?
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30711 on: September 04, 2013, 09:59:04 am »

Girderenter is going down the drains, mainly due to OP as hell webs.
First blind cave ogres ravage my woodcutters, then a giant spider ravages those who try to get the wounded, then a forgotten beast (with webs) ravages the military that tried to defend the rescuers, and when finally that is killed too a swamp titan appears.
All within 2 minutes of eachother.

My melee squads are down to 3, and my marksmen are drinking, eating and sleeping while a lone wounded dwarf kid kites the titan across the frozen wasteland that is the world.

Also 20-odd dwarves died in the caverns because a spontaneous tree blocked their path back into the fortress and they just dehydrated.

And it comes down to farmers strangling babies while axemen hack through the marksdwaves and children are punching childrens brains out in what seems to be a royal tantrum-spiral.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:59:13 am by Berossus »
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30712 on: September 04, 2013, 11:01:58 am »

I've discovered that ordinary wooden spiked ball traps are just too powerful for me to use in my dodgeme trap.
Next I'll try featherwood balls (thank Toady for being able to link stockpiles to workshops).
If that doesn't work, then I'll try wooden spike weapon traps / repeater traps, but I think those will be too powerful as well.
After that, I don't know, I guess I'll just do a dropbridge trap so that the goblin leader drops all his lackeys into separator halls.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30713 on: September 04, 2013, 12:28:50 pm »

Try training weapons?

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30714 on: September 04, 2013, 12:36:34 pm »

Cats would attack ?
I don't have that many cats, but I do have a lot of ducks and hens. Would death by peckering be acceptable as well ?
One of my cats fought a troll, poor brave fool that it was.

Whats happening in my fort right now ?
 I excavated a large area in my mines area for future fort expansion - ran right into a large cave network. I can not seal it off right now - so my mentally challenged hunters and weavers are going down there to gather "stuff", and getting killed.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30715 on: September 04, 2013, 12:59:28 pm »

I've discovered that ordinary wooden spiked ball traps are just too powerful for me to use in my dodgeme trap.
Next I'll try featherwood balls (thank Toady for being able to link stockpiles to workshops).
If that doesn't work, then I'll try wooden spike weapon traps / repeater traps, but I think those will be too powerful as well.
After that, I don't know, I guess I'll just do a dropbridge trap so that the goblin leader drops all his lackeys into separator halls.

I always use wooden training spears with the lowest quality mechanisms I can find. Lower quality mechanisms are less likely to land blows, but goblins will still dodge them. Spears are less likely to sever parts than swords and axes, making for easier cleanup of occasional idiot trolls who manage to get killed by the nominally nonlethal traps because they almost never dodge.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30716 on: September 04, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »

Cats would attack ?

Pecking would be acceptably humorous.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30717 on: September 04, 2013, 02:03:00 pm »

I got bored with mine and it had some problems with bad planning and yadda yadda, so I initially decided to make it drown, but then I decided to make it die by HFS. Though it didn't QUITE go the way I wanted because the demons got distracted by my artifact door that I had as FB bait.

Plus the fact that I had been doing it way open and I figured I could do things better.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:04:54 pm by smjjames »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30718 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:54 pm »

I wasn't careful enough when digging adamantine, so I breached HFS. My miners died almost instantly, and the demons just kept pouring in...

Now, only my four legendary dwarves are left to save the fort.

Edit: They all died. My fort will be dead very soon.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:41:06 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

JacobEdwards

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30719 on: September 04, 2013, 07:11:11 pm »

I have just (barely) beaten back my 2nd goblin siege, after half of the gobbos drowning in the river on the backs of their toad mounts, a squad of trolls got into the lower levels due to me forgetting to link a drawbridge which protected a very important door, and they pathed straight to the noble rooms for the artefact furniture. My only squad left was a hammerdwarf squad and they let loose on the trolls, doing absolutely no real damage. My entire population was running around various rooms, refusing to go up the stairs due to proximity to the trolls, and after 5 minutes of begging them to do what i said, one hammerdwarf finally swaps out his hammer for a battleaxe, and promptly butchers the brutes. The only damage from the trolls was one broken arm from a punch. At some point during my celebration the rest of the goblins entered through the new hole in my defenses and slaughtered everyone.
If you ever met Toady in real life he would glow brightly every few seconds due to his legendary programming skills.
Pages: 1 ... 2046 2047 [2048] 2049 2050 ... 3835