Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789318 times)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #30735 on: September 07, 2013, 01:55:33 am »

Found a big adamantite vein in the 3rd cavern and we are currently in the slow process of bringing it up and processing the strands for weaponry.

A goblin siege came and is currently crashing into the human caravan. Lasiv Burndimpled the Lonely Palace of Life, the human lasher is whopping troll and goblin ass with his bronze whip, bruising brains left and right.

Lasiv has been overwhelmed, bleeding to death from dozens of cuts. He took 6 enemies with him RIP brave soulja o>

8 dwarven squads surged forward, wiping away the goblins like a sea tide, 0 casualties, lots of goblinite to process.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:08:03 am by Bludulukus »

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30736 on: September 07, 2013, 03:17:50 am »

Ironfierce has been doing a stunning job of goblin grinding for the past twelve years. It has an unobstructed entrance, the goblin horde surge straight into a hail of bolts - any survivors are shredded in the guardroom. It's lush to watch - all that blood and vom painting the entrance. I particularly enjoy sending a single sword dwarf out to deal with unconscious survivors - just takes the heads off with one sweep. He is about to be superseded by the vampire axe dwarf. I want to see if he puts the bite on unconscious goblins.

The finishing touches are just being made to the Hospital of Eternal Youth. Just need to lacerate the vampire a tad, and use his blood to contaminate the well. I will burrow a couple of medics nearby. This way I can ensure that gravely injured dwarfs have every opportunity to get turned fully recovered.

The military are dressed in masterwork steel which is decorated with gold. All weapons and shields are masterwork steel, except for two which are an artifact sword and artifact mace - both steel. Also, in among the usual junk, they've managed to also create three artifact shields. No adamantine as yet - but they're shredding invasions fantastically well all the same.

Behind this glistening facade, however, there is the usual logistical tangle going on. So it has been decided to level the volcano down to aquifer level, leaving the lava tube standing. This will erase the existing, fortunately shallow, fortress of encroaching fps death. In its place - an exquisite surface city, with sensible plumbing, built around a towering iron marvel.

I am going to make a picture of it, and carry it around in my wallet.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30737 on: September 07, 2013, 04:37:52 am »

Blackflayme....

I am currently laughing my ass off so hard my gf has annoyed me twice about being too loud when I come home inebriated.  Thank you.  Awesome.

mounf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30738 on: September 07, 2013, 06:29:25 am »

Watchdiamond has now survived its 5th year. A goblin siege heralded the end of winter and brought us the gift of much useless tat to be melted down and turned into menacing spikes. The only casualty  was our resident vampire who strangely decided to engage the entire attack of 40 goblins and 17 trolls by herself and was wrestled and axed to death (finally) a fitting memorial will be completed to rest near the tombs of the dwarfs she killed. Once again the siege was broken before it could get to the trap field.

Only 4 more levels to go on the main dining hall, then to move food production and storage out of the temporary fort and get started on the industrial district.

Given that pankration appears to be a hobby of my civilisation (given the number of dabbling wrestlers I get), wrestling lessons have now been instituted as an experiment for non-essential dwarfs.
----------------------------------
"Oops"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30739 on: September 07, 2013, 09:30:09 am »

The first siege of Delervathez was over nearly as fast as it began. My defensive walls weren't complete, but I had enough to protect against a siege. Unfortunately, the dwarves were working outside when the siege arrived, so I quickly ordered everybody inside. Despite them running (and even hauling rocks while running, geeze, drop the rocks and THEN run!), I lost three dwarves to crossbow goblins (one fell on a weapon trap) and one of the miners managed to bat away some bolts while another attacked an axegoblin while being mauled by a cave croc. That dwarf died of bloodloss.

My macedwarves killed the crossbow goblins and apparently the other groups of the siege fled.

Time to get a makeshift hospital set up. I procrastinated on setting up a hospital, again.

Edit: *child has grown to become a pheasant* Hey kid! You're now a miner *tosses kid a pick* Get to work!

Edit2: Now it's summer and oh shit, another siege has arrived. This time I'm sending my military out while everybody else scrambles to get inside. Must be producing wealth too fast what with the digging, that or they think I'm weak.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:31:38 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30740 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07:50 pm »

Siege 3 dammit!! XD

Going to turn off invasions until I at least get the mountain wall stuff done. Right after a caravan arrived even.

Edit: Good news, the caravan survived, bad news, I lost 3 macedwarves, good news, I killed their cowardly general. The only combat log for the general was that he got killed via mace to the head. They still have another war leader and their law giver, but I think they'll stop having mounts now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 01:19:55 pm by smjjames »

morlicar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30741 on: September 07, 2013, 02:41:09 pm »

Rigothkilrud, "Craftbronze" 13 Granite 152

The last couple of weeks have been mildly eventful.  We breached the first cavern, as it was unusually close to the surface.  Rather than walling it off as the overseer usually does, he orders us to explore and claim as much of the cavern as we can.  We're to build walls to keep new things out until the overseer thinks we're ready for 'em.

Well, all was going according to plan until a giant cave spider blindsided Lolor Rovaddalzat, webbed her up real good and started biting on his steel helm.  Now, Lolor was none too happy to be the spider's chew toy, and worse, she was already a bit thristy so she calls out and gets the overseers attention.  He musters the first two militia squads and orders the first to kill the spider and the second to take position behind the durn thing.  First squad blundered right into the webs that bound Lolor but the second squad took position and charged from behind.  The spider turned to face and webbed them, but this allowed the first squad to free themselves and press their attack.  It took a bit of back and forth, but eventually the spider fell.

Whilst this was going on, a pack of trogs meandered into one of our small pens ... of war jaguars.  The fighting thinned the trogs numbers a bit and scattered them, but we lost a jaguar to a head blow.  One of the troglodytes bumped into young Adil Mistemfer, who was supposed to be practicing making weapons at the forge, but instead was wandering the caverns.  Unarmed and unarmored, as she hasn't been inducted into a militia unit yet, she used fisticuffs and wrestling to fight off the troglodyte.  She eventually managed to get a good hold on the beast and threw it away so she could make her escape.  The trog followed her until they caught the attention of a war jaguar, which ended the trogs life.    She is now resting comfortably in the hospital with a broken nose and broken feet.  Still, she learned how to fight quickly and will be a welcome addition to her militia unit...once she finishes learning her forge skills. 

Even though there are still troglodytes meandering around, work continues on the walls.  Almost everyone is in the militia and are armed and armored even when not on duty.  With the war animals around, the odds are in the dwarfs favor unless something big and bad shows up.

Work would go faster if the overseer would let us use stone block.  However, he still insists that all permanent construction be made of fired brick or clear glass.  We spend a lot of valuable time waiting for the bricks to be made, so it is without doubt that something else will wander into our part of the cavern before we finish walling up.  I just hope it ain't a blind cave ogre...or something even worse.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:20:12 pm by morlicar »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30742 on: September 07, 2013, 03:28:05 pm »

Blackflayme....

I am currently laughing my ass off so hard my gf has annoyed me twice about being too loud when I come home inebriated.  Thank you.  Awesome.

:D

I was not anticipating my necro-adventurer in the least! And I thought the poisonous vapor FB that killed half my military was bad, at least the corpses he created wouldn't rise back up!

Though that FB was bad, it's vapor completely rotted anyone who came into contact with it, but the main death-dealing was done by infections, it didn't kill a single dwarf in combat.

When my necromancer showed up, it was right after an ambush, so there were a few corpses for him to choose from. I barricaded everyone in the tavern as the military flailed about trying to keep the corpses down. But it was futile, as Goden saw fit to ignore the burrow order, and just wandered around the town, resurrecting the military that fell in battle.

Then, in a major lapse of judgement, I figured since necromancers are ignored by zombies, I would get Goden to kill them. I threw him in the first squad that wasn't full. Which was the Captain of the Guard's. First thing he did? Went straight to the tavern, ignoring the kill order, and punched some poor SoB in the face for a failed mandate, killing him instantly. The blow sent him flying across the room.

He then went and killed a zombie kiwi. Then raised it. Then killed it again. Then raised it again. Repeat ad-nauseum approx. 125 times before I got fed up and canceled the order.

So I just watched in a mixture of horror and pure glee as the zombie horde grew and spread about the map. Then Goden found his way into the refuse stockpile. What !!FUN!! that was!

The worst part? The entire time this massacre was going on, Goden just kept watching. He never got the "witnessed death" thought once, and was even happy the entire time! His only negative thought was that aren't enough chains and cages in the fort for his liking!

Almost the entire surface is blood now, and not a single merchant has survived long enough to even turn tail and run! I had even been sieged by goblins, and they didn't stand a kobold's chance in HFS! The only things left alive are the caged merchant animals, Goden the mayor/necromancer, and Steamhatchets the Pastime of Soul, the most bad-ass unicorn I have ever borne witness to.

In short, this is the greatest fort I have ever had the pleasure of failing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:08:01 pm by BlackFlyme »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30743 on: September 07, 2013, 03:37:06 pm »

In what is definetly a facepalm moment, I wasn't even paying attention to the food supply and I had been having the farmers do stuff besides plant. I'm butchering some of my animals, but it won't be enough, and I've set up a second farm plot to get more plump helmets grown.

Nobody is hungry enough to show up as hungry on the health info in the z menu, yet, and the human caravan should be a month or two away.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30744 on: September 07, 2013, 04:16:34 pm »

New computer, new fort! Runs surprisingly well on windows 8. Anyway, I embarked on flowing water, and it was frozen. The wagon was on the river. So I mark everything for dump and autodump right at my forts entrance. Only the liquid booze and nothing else makes it. crap.

Turns out it was a brook too. I managed to recover with a lot of gathering and now I've got a bunch of dabbling herbalists.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30745 on: September 07, 2013, 08:19:23 pm »

Unfortunately, Murkyroads has finally met it's end. It's a shame, it wasn't doing too bad. If only my necromancer wasn't such an avid animator.

Still, it was fun watching several sieges get shredded by my legion of the damned. It wasn't just goblins, humans and elves who had hoped to avenge their caravans came for revenge as well. Migrants never managed to make it to shelter either, unfortunately. Though I did get a chuckle when I saw:

Goden Udirkeshan, mayor necromancer cancels Recover Wounded: Job item lost or destroyed.

I almost went into a fit there.

What got Goden was, of course, a vengeful ghost. Even then though, at the end of it all there was still one other living member of the fort, who had been fighting the unholy horde for months without rest. Steamhatchets the Pastime of Soul will never be forgotten. If only creatures weren't automatically culled when a fort crumbles, she could potentially still be fighting a battle she would never win. 1210 notable kills, 6527 other kills.

That was a bad-ass unicorn.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30746 on: September 07, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »

A wild bluff sent my fortress into lockdown.

It's a young fort, poorly defended by a gaggle of shabbily-armed goons with very little training. A goblin ambush showed up first, consisting of bowmen. They were defeated by the caravan guards and one macedwarf, but during that time I had ordered the civilians inside. A few thieves later, a kobold thief's corpse sprung to life and assaulted the caravan. The zombie was defeated twice before remaining dead, and the caravan and depot were roasted in a blaze started by a mountain wyvern I stole from the cobald caravan. Upon seeing the dead rising, I ordered everyone inside again, including the militia, and closed the drawbridge. And then, nothing. None of the swarms of deceased merchants (I've been hacking them up whenever they refuse to trade (the cobalds refused to trade for a 1000☼ profit!) and using them for cheap militia training) and thieves sprung to life after half the caravan burned to death, and I'm left with no idea whether the necromancer in question was also killed in the brief brush fire.

At least nobody's died...

[edit]

The situation did not improve over the course of the winter.

After completing a well near the surface, some minor flooding occurred but was, luckily, contained. Stairwell is nice and muddy now, though. The main dining hall is also furnished, smoothed, and engraved (by the fortresses' children, because kids love scribbling on walls!) and I've dug out a magma forges area only 16 stories below ground, thanks to a magma pipe in the first cavern. Uncovering the area around the magma pipe gave me a second "you've discovered an expansive cavern deep underground!" message, directing me to the corner of the map immediately behind the magma pipe. This area can be distinguished from the rest of the first cavern layer by a layer of mud and lack of most plant life, besides cavern moss that I would wager only grows there because it's exposed to the first cavern. This area might be another region of the cavern or something.

On top of all this, the necromancers, that consist of at least a few humans such as a queen consort and a hunter, have returned repeatedly, still hiding from sight, and have raised an army of corpses on our doorstep. Goblin ambushes have attempted to clear them out, but only one ambush party remains, and only by virtue of their leader having bitten the dust, and their dumbass AI neither willing to select a target to path towards without a leader or leave the map as would be sensible. All three of the ambushes were lead by non-goblins: two elves and a dwarf.

So, now the population of 60 is forced to hold up underground until I can train the militia and raise enough armaments and armor for them to go into battle and reclaim the surface. All this without any access to wood besides the caverns, which aren't exactly bountiful or safe.

And merchants that show up cant think of anywhere to path to because there's no depot (burned down last winter), and remain there when it's time to leave until they go insane. Kinda funny, but only shows their idiocy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:10:37 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30747 on: September 07, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »

Tried to atomsmash 2 blind ogres, didn't work, ogres escaped.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30748 on: September 08, 2013, 03:35:23 am »

I finished my waterfall just now! It's the third or fourth one I've successfully made, but I'm still new to machinery so it feels very accomplishmentlike. And misty.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30749 on: September 08, 2013, 04:19:15 am »

Streamcastle
2 Granite 201

Why the RNG didn't call this Screamcastle I will never know. Want to know why I think that name would be more appropriate? Two words: Terrifying glacier.

I'M FUCKED

THIS IS GONNA BE HILARIOUS

There's already a Yeti corpse on the horizon...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 3835