Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2075 2076 [2077] 2078 2079 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854557 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31140 on: October 05, 2013, 01:08:54 pm »

FREEDOM FORCE.

Spoiler: 'MURICA FUCK YEAH (click to show/hide)

First thing I do after I come back.

War trainable eagles. For my citizens

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31141 on: October 05, 2013, 01:40:52 pm »

Once again got a reminder that one should not bring axe to bowfight. My first siege cost me 3 legendary combatants as well as countless soldiers and recruits. Thank armok I have 100 more. But now we are about to burn in cavern wildfire started by a FB.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31142 on: October 05, 2013, 01:51:52 pm »

FREEDOM FORCE.

Spoiler: 'MURICA FUCK YEAH (click to show/hide)

First thing I do after I come back.

War trainable eagles. For my citizens

Why can't I hold all this freedom?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There used to be more, but many died valiantly fighting the undead onslaught in the caverns.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31143 on: October 05, 2013, 01:56:51 pm »

Must get more eagles...

Also, your freedom is more than mine.

YAY?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31144 on: October 05, 2013, 02:03:24 pm »

I also pride myself on the fact that they were caught at the Fort. Free range freedom.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31145 on: October 05, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »

Well...

I actually need to use the cages I caught them in for something anyway.

Time to catch some free range freedom from the northern part of the embark.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31146 on: October 05, 2013, 03:47:52 pm »

Hmm, i really haven't the faintest idea what's going on:

i successfully caused an in-air collision between two minecarts, one on the descending arc, one step away from landing, the other fresh off the ramp. Expectedly, the descending cart bounced off and ascended again, but _reached a completely ridiculous height while doing so_. The 'orbiter' cart was launched from 24 levels up, the 'booster' cart (timed via another minecart loop to get the moment right) from 25 levels up. Without the collision, the orbiter reached a max height of 11 zlvls, the booster of 12. The 'boosted' orbiter reached 26z, and i'm not entirely sure that was the apex of its flight path; it slammed into the map edge at that height.

What makes it even more confusing is that while there was a weight difference between orbiter (chestnut, 17kg) and booster (birch, 26 kg), the higher weight _could_ theoretically convert to an ~50% increase in momentum, but that'd be less than 25% higher speed. Exchanging the chestnut for another birchen minecart gave the expected maximum flight height of 12 zlevels (both carts same weight), and this height wasn't exceeded when i exchanged the booster for a billon minecart (booster ~14 times as heavy as orbiter, no added flight height for the orbiter).

While the whole thing is rather befuddling, having a setup that propels the minecart higher than the start locations of either route is pretty nifty. Shame it's not gonna be useful for flight with passengers or cargo lifting.

Garukin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31147 on: October 05, 2013, 04:17:39 pm »

After slowly going through an 8-level aquifer and walking off without pausing at one point, the fortress of Beardcastle now has 50-something dwarves who are all good friends with each other and ranking legendary/grand master in several social skills; all in all a prelude to someone stubbing a toe and setting off a tantrum spiral.

I've decided to do the sensible thing and wait for the next batch of migrants before taking all the current members of the Super Happy Friend club and locking them in a closet somewhere, letting the whole friendship thing sort itself out before it contaminates the new arrivals.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31148 on: October 05, 2013, 04:53:04 pm »

Hmm, i really haven't the faintest idea what's going on:

i successfully caused an in-air collision between two minecarts, one on the descending arc, one step away from landing, the other fresh off the ramp. Expectedly, the descending cart bounced off and ascended again, but _reached a completely ridiculous height while doing so_. The 'orbiter' cart was launched from 24 levels up, the 'booster' cart (timed via another minecart loop to get the moment right) from 25 levels up. Without the collision, the orbiter reached a max height of 11 zlvls, the booster of 12. The 'boosted' orbiter reached 26z, and i'm not entirely sure that was the apex of its flight path; it slammed into the map edge at that height.

What makes it even more confusing is that while there was a weight difference between orbiter (chestnut, 17kg) and booster (birch, 26 kg), the higher weight _could_ theoretically convert to an ~50% increase in momentum, but that'd be less than 25% higher speed. Exchanging the chestnut for another birchen minecart gave the expected maximum flight height of 12 zlevels (both carts same weight), and this height wasn't exceeded when i exchanged the booster for a billon minecart (booster ~14 times as heavy as orbiter, no added flight height for the orbiter).

While the whole thing is rather befuddling, having a setup that propels the minecart higher than the start locations of either route is pretty nifty. Shame it's not gonna be useful for flight with passengers or cargo lifting.

I think it's been established that conventional notions about physics, social tendencies, morality, reality, and magma are completely irrelevant in DF.
I mean for fuck's sake, we smelt iron ore with magma that shouldn't be within 300 Celsius of the required temp. We use wooden doors as bait for monsters made out of steam and rock.
I don't bite.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31149 on: October 05, 2013, 06:18:35 pm »

Magma. Is. Flowing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31150 on: October 06, 2013, 07:51:11 am »

Something has started; there were no marksdwarves on duty to stop it.
The cavern zombies have begun their ascension to the surface.

IT BEGINS
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:35:23 am by Loud Whispers »

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31151 on: October 06, 2013, 11:07:35 am »

Think of the worst tantrum spiral you've ever had, only with giant orcs instead of dwarves, and with muskets and pistols. It's getting bad :x

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31152 on: October 06, 2013, 11:08:22 am »

So apparently one of the civs in my favorite world worships the Kea god.

"Id is a deity that occurs in the myths of The Handle of Chains  . Id is most often depicted as a female bird kea.
Associated Spheres: mountains and volcanos."
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31153 on: October 06, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »

After slowly going through an 8-level aquifer and walking off without pausing at one point, the fortress of Beardcastle now has 50-something dwarves who are all good friends with each other and ranking legendary/grand master in several social skills; all in all a prelude to someone stubbing a toe and setting off a tantrum spiral.

I've decided to do the sensible thing and wait for the next batch of migrants before taking all the current members of the Super Happy Friend club and locking them in a closet somewhere, letting the whole friendship thing sort itself out before it contaminates the new arrivals.
I hear you. That's the thing I hate about aquifers the most! :-)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31154 on: October 06, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »

Whoo, Bronze Colossus! The battle took a while and after the marksdwarves ran out of bolts, they went and started pounding on it with their wood crossbows along with the swordsdwarves. The whole combat log is 55 pages. Surprisingly though, nobody got hurt.

Anyways, the BC turned into a statue of the human Nedul Bluntpaper. A quick legends dive (using legends viewer) shows that she fought in a number of battles and fought with a night creature. No notable kills or anything though. Funny how a Bronze Colossus that existed at the dawn of time turned into a statue of someone who was born a century after worldgen started.

Edit: The mayor just made a mandate for some more traction benches, so I've asked him to go kill some rutherers with no armor or weapons......

Edit: .... Rutherer doesn't want to fight back :P These things are supposed to be rhino sized, come on!

Edit: Dangit, he had to disengage because he was thirsty. :P Rutherer is heavily bruised though. Actually no, he left because his arns and leg got a bit banged up, along with thirsty.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:56:14 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 2075 2076 [2077] 2078 2079 ... 3836