Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2099 2100 [2101] 2102 2103 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860788 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31500 on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:45 pm »

I've recently discovered that I may well be playing host to the single-most egotistical dwarf ever:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31501 on: November 12, 2013, 08:01:50 pm »

I've recently discovered that I may well be playing host to the single-most egotistical dwarf ever:

Clearly you must crush it with a drawbridge.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31502 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »

Clearly you must crush it with a drawbridge.

Though I agree with you, in principle, I still think you ought to show some respect.  'It' has a name, Momuz, and is a 'he'!  Oh, wait, or did you mean the useful Momuz, the barrel? 

edit: formatting
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:05:32 pm by WoobMonkey »
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31503 on: November 12, 2013, 10:08:33 pm »

I've been having problems with some hidden necromancers raising dead goblins/beak dogs from the last siege. Lost a bunch of haulers today, so I decided to seal off the fort. I'm changing the archer's nest into a magma cannon, because I'm getting tired of sallying forth 3 times a year and cleaning up the mess.

I might obsidianize the whole map, that kills zombies.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #31504 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:44 am »

Year 2 of Sunfurnace came to a close with no real events.  Not too surprising since rarely does anything actually happen in the first few years, but I suspect that Sunfurnace may never have any particularly troubling years.  It's built in a calm jungle on an island, right on the coast, and so far only the Dwarves have any idea it's even there.

To keep my absurdly huge and ever-growing population busy (98 and counting!), I've taken upon myself to build a pharos (a type of massive lighthouse), and just for the fun of it, I've made it a mausoleum as well.  The Dwarves are in no danger of starvation or thirst, and about the most vicious thing they've faced thus far is a roving coati.
Sanity is for the weak.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #31505 on: November 13, 2013, 11:27:07 am »

I have two forts: one just over popcap of 150, and since there's nothing but gold and some silver so far am having to crank out fancy crafts so I can trade for armor and weapons.  Once my Dwemer (am running the Nchardahrk mod) are well trained and armored and stuff, I'm turning invaders back on.  I am sure it will be Fun for everyone.  Also,have had three moods, two of which were possessions.  Why so many damn possessions?  Last fort, I had 10 moods, 7 of which were possessions.

My second fort is still new, lower pop-cap for the time being, and again, just gold and silver so far.  Going with the same plan for those Dwemer.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31506 on: November 13, 2013, 01:01:28 pm »

You turn off invasions at the start? The game is set up anyway so that invasions will only begin at a sutible level, eg you won't get seiged when setting up.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31507 on: November 13, 2013, 01:53:24 pm »

Fucking goblins. Leader gets trapped and what do the rest do? Nothing. They just sit there blocking the fort's main exit.

You know things are bad when the best thing that could happen is a necromancer ambush.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31508 on: November 13, 2013, 02:06:24 pm »

New fort.  No items, no skills, Sinister swamp.

Luckily, the repulsive slime rains don't seem to do anything worse than make dorfs a little bit upset.  Just had the first caravan come by - after selling a bunch of masterwork langur tallow roasts, and spiked wooden balls, I'm set for life.  Also, the map has LOADS of surface webs (phantom spider silk), and the preliminary dig has already struck flux.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the value on prepared meals is WAY too high?  I mean, seriously, hunt just a few critters, and you can buy the whole caravan...
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31509 on: November 13, 2013, 03:53:58 pm »

Some migrants just arrived from a fortress I abandoned earlier. I remember one in particular because I checked their preferences - she likes piccolos, shields, and backpacks.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31510 on: November 13, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »

I decided to reclaim my fallen fortress, because it was a good one and just fell due to a bad timing in my walling.

So thanks to dfhack "autodump" feature to cut immensely the time it would have taken to gather the tons of items that were spread all over the map, i completed the defenses as my primary goal and the hundred of required coffins (as my previous fort ended really in blood) to avoid ghosts spreading too much, i trained a marksdwarf squad and a melee squad and after successfully battling a few goblins siege, new invaders are coming : the humans.

Problem is that i have no idea why they're attacking me now, we got a few trading that went great.
So it's a mystery to me as to why they have decided to send their armies against me, i'm sure no human caravan has been entirely killed by marauding ambushed goblins on my map, they lost a few guys sure (and i took a good care of the goods they left behind :D ) but it wasn't enough items to really trigger a siege ?

Hmm, anyways, their first army lead by a guy mounted on a war giraffe :D met an unfortunate destruction (they lost half of their troops inside my cage trap , the other half was annihilated by my very good war veterans, and the captured guy served as live target practice to improve my marksdwarves).

And they sent a 2nd army, i'm not sure what we have done to the humans, but this time they're really angry :

there are 104  enemies (half being soldiers, most of them mounted on war giraffe, they really love them it seems) and 3 wild animals. They're divided in 4 part, each coming from a different side of the map, effectively surrounding my fort in some more believable siege.

I'll have to wait a bit to see if the traps are good enough to cut half of that or if i should close my bridge and wait the siege to time out.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:17:12 pm by Robsoie »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31511 on: November 13, 2013, 04:41:50 pm »

I had a Bronze colossus show up. After chasing down and wrestling a dwarven child to death, he pathed into a cage trap. Now I'm thinking of a doing a !!THUNDERDOME!! style fight where the 20 odd goblins I've collected (with a goblin pikemaster in there) and the colossus fight, and the winner gets stuck in a cage trap again. The goblins may be able to kill the colossi, but I'm doubtful.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31512 on: November 13, 2013, 05:13:51 pm »

!!THUNDERDOME!! would have to include magma and flames, otherwise it's just a THUNDERDOME.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31513 on: November 13, 2013, 08:43:03 pm »

I was browsing through some legends data, when I came across this little gem:

212: Othdoatho, "Relicsoul", town
        Owner: The Blowing Fellowship, humans
        Parent Civ: The Empire of Luck, humans
        2123 humans
        38 goblins
        80 dwarves
        522 dogs
        50 cows
        522 blue peafowls
        15 cave fish man outcasts
        3 dwarf outcasts
        5 goblin outcasts
        1 wagon outcast
        18 human outcasts

Now I have to create an adventurer from that civ, in the hopes of getting a quest to slay the fiendish wagon that has (presumably) slain someone in its lust for blood!

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31514 on: November 13, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »

So the bronze Colossus went up against a Mace Lord, an Axe Lord, and a Pike Master, + about 17 other various goblins. While the goblins initially injured him severely (ie, red and yellow injurys all over), he recovered and started throwing goblins against the walls of the THUNDERDOME. The peon normal goblins either got tossed against the wall (which normally killed them. Those that lived usually got their faces kicked in.) and a few got strangled. The Pike master got thrown against a wall breaking his spine. The Axe lord died when he hit the wall. The Mace lord dodged around like a champ, playing footsy with the Colossus for quite a long time, but eventually the Colossus grabbed him by the throat and strangled him to death.

Clear Victor:Colossus, who was successfully caged again for a future THUNDERDOME.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.
Pages: 1 ... 2099 2100 [2101] 2102 2103 ... 3836