Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787846 times)

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31530 on: November 15, 2013, 03:51:42 pm »

Hoistedlens saw three more goblin sieges in quick succession. Normally nothing too bad, but the third claimed a ton of dwarves anyway because when I temporarily drained the reservoir to set up a pump stack (and coincidentally also allowing my dwarves to claim the dozen-odd corpses of dwarves that had tried to drink from the flooding room when I was setting it up... This resulted in the pacification of something like six ghost babies.) half my dwarves decided to simultaneously become thirsty, ignore warrens settings, and march out to the brook en masse. And one of my legendary miners decided to try a spot of fishing on the opposite side of the map. The siege ate them, of course. Eventually I covered the goblins in lava.

Before that I was attacked by a glacier titan: A blob of steam with a broad shell and an austere look. It assaulted my legendary metalworker (who later died in the same siege that claimed my miners and those other dwarves) and ineffectually pushed him for a few days. He, on the other hand, just took a nap and ignored it, then finally got fed up and shot it. I got a message that he was 'caught in a burst of steam!' but even that didn't actually harm him. Oh well. Free glacier titan shell!

Oh, and I finally reached the second cavern layer on this map. This layer, unlike the first one, actually has life in it! I could hypothetically cut down the mushrooms from in there if I could actually reach any of them - this particular cavern is very... vertical.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31531 on: November 15, 2013, 04:06:06 pm »

I don't know why the goblins insist on sending ambushes to my fort. They all die to massive bleeding of every body part whenever one of the nasty purple clouds drifts by...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #31532 on: November 15, 2013, 05:12:47 pm »

Now we need wagons as a playable race... is there a mod for that?
Do werewagons count?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31533 on: November 15, 2013, 10:48:28 pm »

You turn off invasions at the start? The game is set up anyway so that invasions will only begin at a sutible level, eg you won't get seiged when setting up.
A low pop-cap really changes that. The way I play, by the time there's any risk of a siege (ie: after 60 kids have been born) I've got a curtain wall/drawbridge setup and nobody ever leaves the walled-off area. Sieges only matter if archers are on the other side of the river and can take pot-shots at my surface workers.

OTOH Ambushes are triggered by wealth. I get a fort with 15-20 actual working dwarves (the initial 7, plus a couple immigration waves you can't prevent), then an ambush really screws me. I just don't have 10 useless immigrant guys to put in armor hoping to trigger the ambushes before they kill useful dwarves. Heck, ALL of my adult dwarves are useful dwarves. Even the stupid hauler, because he's the only hauler I'll get until the first little bastard turns 12. He dies then the legendary metalsmith has to haul Iron Ore 60 Z-Levels to the magma forges.

I haven't really played since necromancers came out, and I've had invaders off since like 2011; but back in the old days when I had to deal with fucking ambushes it seemed like my Mug economy would attract at least three squads of gobboes pretty much every season starting in year two or three. After I mastered the cage trap most of my population became gobboes on stockpiles, and I still wasn't safe because generally by the time my 15 or so working dwarves got around to re-filling the 30 cage traps another set of ambushers would have appeared.

Not to mention that the entire reason I started experimenting with a low pop-cap was that my computer can't handle a lot of dwarves. You get 20 adults, and 25 kids pathing and it's noticeably slower then normal. Add a couple ambushing squads, a half-dozen kidnappers, and a couple kobolds and DF is simply unplayable.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31534 on: November 16, 2013, 02:10:17 am »

I made an interesting discovery: wild strawberries are perfectly content to grow under a bridge, so long as that bridge wasn't always there.

How fascinating. My dwarves get to enjoy the luxuries of surface crops without any of the downsides! (Notably bleeding to death from purple gas, shot to death by goblins and kobolds, and fried by flying dragons.)

On a less joyful note, we've now lost three outpost liasons in the last year. I need to remember to open the double drawbridges and let him in... one of these days we'll become a barony, although Armok forbid we should ever become the new Mountainhome. The purple gas would claim the king the moment he set foot on our land - I just know it.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31535 on: November 16, 2013, 05:06:32 am »

I just had my first run-in with a forgotten beast. I thought I'd sealed off the caverns, but I hadn't planned for a flying building destroyer. With deadly dust. That triggered a paralysis syndrome. Lost a quarter of my population to that. Fortunately the coffin makers kept up and I think the tantrums have tailed off (touch wood). I've now walled off all my cavern entrances, and I think it's time to set up some squads in barracks down in the depths. I don't know how to make sure their food stockpiles keep getting refilled, though - don't dwarves just take food to the nearest stockpile with room? So that these ones won't get food until all the others are full?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31536 on: November 16, 2013, 06:42:08 am »

I just had my first run-in with a forgotten beast. I thought I'd sealed off the caverns, but I hadn't planned for a flying building destroyer. With deadly dust. That triggered a paralysis syndrome. Lost a quarter of my population to that. Fortunately the coffin makers kept up and I think the tantrums have tailed off (touch wood). I've now walled off all my cavern entrances, and I think it's time to set up some squads in barracks down in the depths. I don't know how to make sure their food stockpiles keep getting refilled, though - don't dwarves just take food to the nearest stockpile with room? So that these ones won't get food until all the others are full?

I like to keep a large prepared food/drink stockpile in or near my dining hall, which is set ({q}uery) to {g}ive to a number of smaller stockpiles in important locations, such as the barracks, forges, and a few rest stops for haulers.  Be careful not to make the far-flung piles too big, though, or you'll have nothing left in your main meeting hall, as (AFAIK) the 'give to stockpile' order supercedes any others.  You may or may not want to set the smaller piles to {q}uery - t{a}ke from links only, depending on how many stills and kitchens you have set up, and where they are.

As for what's going on in my fort, I'm playing my own ridiculous challenge embark [plug]Link in my sig![/plug].  Not too shabby so far; mid-summer, and 4 dorfs are still alive, with nearly enough raw materials to pierce the multi (at least 3 that I've seen so far)-layer aquifer.  Sadly, I just lost 2 beards (my entire military) while trying to protect my woodcutter long enough to sneak a few logs.  Now those logs must be used for caskets, further delaying progress.

Such is life, I s'pose.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31537 on: November 16, 2013, 07:36:38 am »

The randomness of the game mechanics continues to amaze me.  I had my first dragon I've ever seen last night.  It showed up, breathed fire all over everything, went through my raised chalk drawbridge like wet tissue paper, destroyed half my animals and my trade post, and then zipped down into the depths to wreak some serious havoc... only to be met by both squads of the military and summarily beaten into dragon-fries.  Didn't even make it out of the staircase.

Uh... wasn't expecting that.  Only casualty was a woodcutter who decided he just HAD to bring that last cedar log back to my little hole in the jungle.

Two seasons later, a small goblin ambush showed up and wiped out 14 of the 20 military without so much as a scratch to themselves.  I would have died without my cage traps.  We kill dragons, but we die to greenies in troll fur armor.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:38:29 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31538 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:52 am »

The randomness of the game mechanics continues to amaze me.  I had my first dragon I've ever seen last night.  It showed up, breathed fire all over everything, went through my raised chalk drawbridge like wet tissue paper, destroyed half my animals and my trade post, and then zipped down into the depths to wreak some serious havoc... only to be met by both squads of the military and summarily beaten into dragon-fries.  Didn't even make it out of the staircase.

Uh... wasn't expecting that.  Only casualty was a woodcutter who decided he just HAD to bring that last cedar log back to my little hole in the jungle.

Two seasons later, a small goblin ambush showed up and wiped out 14 of the 20 military without so much as a scratch to themselves.  I would have died without my cage traps.  We kill dragons, but we die to greenies in troll fur armor.  Go figure.

Dragons are insanely tough critters that breathe fire and can destroy buildings.  Goblins can have whips.  Goblins win.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31539 on: November 16, 2013, 08:53:34 am »

It would be great if Toady fixed the weapons with small contact area.

...and if we could forge large armour for dragons and other pets... steel-clad dragon sounds good :-)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31540 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38:14 am »

A promising embark was run down before the first migrant wave by a horde of wild boars. Argh.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31541 on: November 16, 2013, 10:52:20 am »

I wish the new version was here now so I wouldn't have to destructively abandon a fort. I'm getting kind of bored with the current one but don't really want to abandon it.

Or maybe I can try to go out in a bang or something.

Or maybe smooth the whole fort and just let in the next siege or megabeast or whatever. Or release the current captured dragon....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:57:31 am by smjjames »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #31542 on: November 16, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »

Looks like a legendary spearmaster in my fortress main squad is so bored by his spear abilities that he has decided to change his fighting style to focus on ... biting
So much that he's now even making demonstrations

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31543 on: November 16, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »

Mining salt, making salt blocks, exporting salt. Mining salt, making salt blocks, exporting salt. Mining salt...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31544 on: November 16, 2013, 05:03:46 pm »

Haha, awesome.
"Rawr. GrrrrMPH! And that, youngsters, is how you tear out a goblin's lung with your teeth. Mind you, that would have worked better with an actual goblin, not this stuffed training dummy. *spit, spit*"
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2101 2102 [2103] 2104 2105 ... 3835