Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2103 2104 [2105] 2106 2107 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788731 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #31560 on: November 18, 2013, 12:58:35 am »

Hah, your duchess is immodest. Hmm. Wonder how that will be written in the new version?
"She is comfortable without clothes in the company of others".
That would probably be near the extreme end of that scale, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31561 on: November 18, 2013, 03:07:01 am »

My noble demanded a nickel bed in his tomb. Yeah, get screwed.

So, I've walled off the Caverns, and Forgotten Beasts keep spawning. We're up to three now. The first one was a beast composed entirely of Sterling Silver. The second, was a giant ant. This last one is composed entirely of coke. Yes, coke.

One day I might crack it open and fill it with the magma I just found finally. I'm worried I might breach into HFS accidentally. Here we go.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31562 on: November 18, 2013, 04:45:02 am »

Aw, shit...

On another note, she's the best mayoress/duchess I could ask for. No mandates.

On the other hand, maybe one of these days she'll demand a slade statue or something... shit... and her a legendary butcher and all...

Do dwarfs actually demand furniture made from a preferred stone? I've only seen metals and glass so far. Anyway, all that whining about unfulfillable demands is completely uncalled-for. They don't ruin a good noble, having a demand go unfulfilled just causes a bit of unhappiness that's easy to contain with good dwellings and other sources of good feelings.

I had a duke demand a steel throne for ~3 years (it wasn't impossible, i just was unwilling to waste good steel when he already had golden thrones) and he only once dipped to "quite content" - and that required going a long time without production mandates and not getting any "satisfied at work" opportunities for a while (used him as full-time haulerdwarf, too, so he even had little time to admire his furniture). I'm convinced getting a tantrum over demanded furniture takes either alarming overseer incompetence or deliberate efforts at breaking the noble.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31563 on: November 18, 2013, 05:06:13 am »

Lovelymountain is slowly but surely getting drowned in goblin vomit.

So far the fortress has trusted in traps and a squad of marksdwarfs. In principle this has worked well, half of the raiders have been shot in front of the gates and the other half have ran straight into cage traps and gotten pitted, to serve as training targets. But for some reason, the marksdwarfs aren't very motivated. They have crossbows and bolts and can clearly see the goblins behind the fortifications but only occasionally take a couple of shots and spend the rest of their time picking their noses.

The result is that goblins get a bolt lodged in their guts or head or whatever and then are left alone to puke, pass out, wake up, stagger a bit further, puke again, pass out, wake up and on it goes. A single gobbo painted the whole Trader's Tunnel green and that's nothing compared to the Pit, with the rotting corpses and the miasma and the hundreds of liters of of sick all over the place...

And because I've got OCD or something, I'm not drafting a melee squad until all the living and working quarters and tunnels are smoothed.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31564 on: November 18, 2013, 12:25:38 pm »

Lovelymountain is slowly but surely getting drowned in goblin vomit.

So far the fortress has trusted in traps and a squad of marksdwarfs. In principle this has worked well, half of the raiders have been shot in front of the gates and the other half have ran straight into cage traps and gotten pitted, to serve as training targets. But for some reason, the marksdwarfs aren't very motivated. They have crossbows and bolts and can clearly see the goblins behind the fortifications but only occasionally take a couple of shots and spend the rest of their time picking their noses.

The result is that goblins get a bolt lodged in their guts or head or whatever and then are left alone to puke, pass out, wake up, stagger a bit further, puke again, pass out, wake up and on it goes. A single gobbo painted the whole Trader's Tunnel green and that's nothing compared to the Pit, with the rotting corpses and the miasma and the hundreds of liters of of sick all over the place...

And because I've got OCD or something, I'm not drafting a melee squad until all the living and working quarters and tunnels are smoothed.

Just do what I do and never worry about Goblins again.

Although, to be honest, it's somewhat exploitative and semi-reliant upon deadly gas clouds.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Tonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31565 on: November 18, 2013, 04:47:26 pm »

Roomsoothed has recovered from the firebreathing titan and subsequent tantrum spiral and is once more feeding the whole continent forgotten beast roasts.  "A forgotten beast in every pot!" is a terrible motto but I love it.

This is the first fort where I have tried the communal sleeping room idea, mostly because vampires piss me off.  I had cabinets in the rooms, but the dwarves would spend months moving clothing items from one cabinet to another like some kind of dysfunctional sorority, so I removed them.  The vampire still killed two dwarves in that  room, and also the count and his wife, because nothing says 'undisturbed nocturnal feeding' like 'private sleeping arrangements.'

Communal bedrooms 5/10 would not bang.

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31566 on: November 18, 2013, 06:20:57 pm »

I've started a new fortress today and it was going quite well until my clerk decided to get possessed... He claimed the craftsdwarf workshop and requested cloth...thread(i had wool cloth, but figured it didn't work) and tree...life. I couldn't get him what he needed even with the help of the elven caravan, so he went berserk (first berserk dwarf I've ever had). I didn't think It was bad and thought he'll just die of thirst or something, but then I realized how serious the problem was. He went on a killing spree killing dorfs, cats, dogs and other creatures. Even My three hunters couldn't do anything. So I looked up his skills and was pretty shocked. Adept marksdwarf, proficient archer, competent ambusher. A little bit*y clerk/broker/whatever/noble was slaying half of my fortress and I couldn't do anyhting...

So, how was your day?
Don't Panic!

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31567 on: November 19, 2013, 02:51:04 am »

Just do what I do and never worry about Goblins again.

Although, to be honest, it's somewhat exploitative and semi-reliant upon deadly gas clouds.

The design is beautiful but I find the "only wagons can pass"-ramp a tad too exploity. But the long term plan is to do something with a road and some above the ground fortifications.

Oops, I was just about to complain about a 60 000 cubic cm goblin producing a cubic meter of vomit but then I read the wiki and apparently they vomit only once and then just spread and smear it all over the place as they stagger along. Not the most pleasant thing to visualize.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31568 on: November 19, 2013, 02:54:59 am »

Depends on whether or not you believe combat reports of goblins retching and vomiting for pages.

But all that aside.

My fortress population just ticked over 80. (Last child born yesterday.) I finally get to watch sieges get wiped out by the noxious gas instead of just having random ambush corpses appear!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31569 on: November 19, 2013, 03:12:50 am »

My fort is over 240 population, i have survived a couple sieges and now im building private rooms, with full silver furniture. My wealth is almost 6 millions, lets see what those gobbos bring next time.

Dream Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31570 on: November 19, 2013, 08:36:42 am »

Recently went from 200 Dwarves to about 6, thanks to a massive goblin siege that wiped out my military.

After the tantrums began I decided the best course of action would be to lock all but a dozen outside to prevent too much harm coming to the heart of the fort. In this way I saved my Legendary starting Miner and my personal pick "Crimson" the Carpenter (whose rooms like a personal palace prevented depression from their loved ones mauling each other to death), along with about 3 other randoms lucky enough to be inside when I pulled up the bridge to outside.

So now I have about 150 corpses in and outside of my fort, a Miner, Carpenter, Ranger, and severely injured Dyer, a happy Vampire Miner I've sealed in a room who is currently excavating a palace for himself (while palling around with a Hammerdwarf Ghost and Baby Ghost), a pack of Goblins mauling cats outside, and a broken bridge that prevents anyone from leaving underground.

Here's hoping I can salvage the situation. I'm gonna try to turn my Vampire into a Legendary Jack-of-all-Trades and make him overlord of the fortress from within his stony palace, while providing a tribute of my most useless dwarves. Long live Dikespires.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31571 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:50 am »

150 dead dwarves? who cares. But think of the socks!!! there are like 300 socks out there!! will you let them rot?

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31572 on: November 19, 2013, 10:07:53 am »

No water No Food.I have 500 meat right now no one is eating that
Remind me never to leave you in charge of a fort that requires basic math to survive.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31573 on: November 19, 2013, 02:17:33 pm »

Pathing might be broken. Strike the caverns!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31574 on: November 19, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »

So, in my quest to build a 53 z-level chute to drop waste into the magma sea, I've had to go through the caverns a few times. I had had them walled off to prevent forgotten beasts from wrecking my shit, but I had to breach them in order to get the chute channeled through. My military just got done tag teaming two forgotten beast, a giant ant and a sterling silver golem with a breath attack.

As a result, almost my entire military is severely bruised with no eyes. Nobody is rotting yet, so hopefully they all recover in time, but right now I'm down to a macelord and two axelords for a military right now. I'm thinking about walling off the entrance to the fort until things get figured out and this project gets completed. I'm not really hurting for food right now.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.
Pages: 1 ... 2103 2104 [2105] 2106 2107 ... 3835