Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2154 2155 [2156] 2157 2158 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789426 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32325 on: January 21, 2014, 02:49:07 am »

Laborfords
8th Sandstone, 214

Okay, I am definitely dropping a roof on your head. Poisonous gas, eugh.

Ooooh, that looks like a Fun megabeast.....

Nah, it was pretty boring, actually. I completely forgot about it after letting it out until this Spring 215, and I was quite glad artifact furniture can't be toppled. Then I dropped a floor on its head and butchered it for meat.

Speaking of Laborfords, it's 23rd Granite 215, 2:49 AM in meatspace, and this overseer needs to get her ass to bed.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32326 on: January 21, 2014, 08:46:53 am »

Necroclasps continues on its course for tree murder and elf rage induction. The first caravan has come and gone, carrying with it many trinkets made of fine sandstone, birch, alder, and chestnut in exchange for a peahen, several metal bars, and many barrels of drink to pad our feeble reserves. For the first time ever in a long time I've had to resort to the old staple of the plump helmet to do the bulk of feeding the currently small populous, though bags for the processing of the autumn quarry bushes have been made, to be made turned into fine meals with turkey egg and cow cheese. Hmm, maybe that's the dwarven equivalent of a breakfast sandwich...

We now have proper weapons made, The New Paints, Guilded Men, Throwers of Dye, and Knives of Domination (an ingot of billion and a Carryscar dorf to whoever can tell me where 3 of those names came from!) all have proper weapons and The Paints even have helmets, forged from the three bronze bars bought from the caravan with sandstone crafts, to go with the three silver maces they bear. I've also had some billion made, as I forgot tetrahedrite can be used to make this valuable alloy and intend to make blocks from it for use in wells and perhaps a fine Billion bridge...

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32327 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:56 am »

My soldiers have organised a four-way sparring session. I had no idea that's possible. Congrats to them.

EDIT: Or just two pairs of soldiers were sparring in one barracks at the same moment, which is a bit more likely. Still nice.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:03:45 pm by Hetairos »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32328 on: January 21, 2014, 02:22:34 pm »

Wheelbarrows are pretty useful for lugging large corpses around. Making a refuse pile and blocking all the options seems to pretty consistently make it take only FB parts and corpses. Presumably this would be the case for other procedurally-generated beasties.

I'm not sure if corpses can rot while they're being carried around. Can they?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32329 on: January 21, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »

Wheelbarrows are pretty useful for lugging large corpses around. Making a refuse pile and blocking all the options seems to pretty consistently make it take only FB parts and corpses. Presumably this would be the case for other procedurally-generated beasties.

I'm not sure if corpses can rot while they're being carried around. Can they?
I think they can. at the very least, I've seen items start generating miasma while being carried.   
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32330 on: January 21, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »

Laborfords
13th Galena, 215

-yawn-

I'm working on a semi-automated splat-the-FB trap in my first cavern. I remembered that the too-big-for-bridges and too-big-for-pressure-plates sizes are not identical, so if I can survive losing a few mechanisms per FB (which I totally can), and build a sealable roof over the drop zone...

Lielac, Human Overseer withdraws from society...

Edit, 17 Galena:
The first beardling has grown to adulthood. Oddom Kelvutok has earned the right to his first name!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:00:34 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32331 on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:32 pm »

Edit, 17 Galena:
The first beardling has grown to adulthood. Oddom Kelvutok has earned the right to his first name!

It might not seem like a big deal to some, but the vast majority of my forts never got far enough to see a child actually grow up.  So grats :)!  What's his profession?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32332 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:50 pm »

Edit, 17 Galena:

It might not seem like a big deal to some, but the vast majority of my forts never got far enough to see a child actually grow up.  So grats :)!  What's his profession?

Planter for the moment, due to all dwarves harvesting and him being around before the daycare. He's a native dwarf, born in 203, and hasn't had a mood yet.

... and he's freakin' Grand or High Master in most of the conversational skills, so he'd make a wonderful Broker. Somebody shoot me.

He'd also make a good Teacher, apparently... hmmmm, maybe it's time to start a military.

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32333 on: January 21, 2014, 06:06:13 pm »

I'm back with more kobold deaths, two of them this time.

They somehow made it past two wall grates and drowned at the bottom of the cistern. I have to drain the entire thing now and wall off the well since there is miasma everywhere. Didn't notice until the miasma started creeping up. Didn't get notified for these guys either, I wonder why they keep trying to go down the intake tunnel.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32334 on: January 21, 2014, 06:11:23 pm »

Laborfords
1st Moonstone, 215

Lost about a month to a computer crash. Nothing important, just a few grizzly bears' training. (I can't hear you over the sound of 62 war bears!) Still, I haven't seen a BSOD in years. :-\

Edit, 5th Opal:

Awright! Come test my automatic murdertrap, would you?

7th Opal:

NO, YOU OBNOXIOUS LITTLE DUNG BEETLE, STAND ONE TILE TO THE SOUTH!

Eh, I have four other artifact tables. TIME FOR PLAN B: SEND IN THE WAR BEARS!

Edit2, 13th Opal:

3 dwarves just died in a minecart accident, one of them a founder. Oops. 2 dwarves are very unhappy, 2 unhappy, 3 fine, 15 quite content, 19 happy, and 35 ecstatic. They should pull through.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:55:58 pm by Lielac »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32335 on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:55 pm »

Outpost "Hope", Month 3 of the year 1200.
After finding a box of tools, including a crowbar, inside a pile of scrap metal, we've set up an area for opening boxes and crates next to the salvage yard. The living quarters, random junk stockpile, and meeting/eating room have been completed and sealed, so there's no risk of robots or creatures wandering in. The south half of the wall has been completed, made from blocks of the granite here. We're now focusing on destroying the mountain, so we don't have to build the wall multiple stories. A Mr. Macintosh is currently wandering around outside, so all progress is halted until it wanders off.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32336 on: January 21, 2014, 07:11:11 pm »

Laborfords
3rd Obsidian, 215

Oh. My. God. This second grizzly bear (the first was a pathetic failure) is actually holding its own! I mean, goddamn. She has a cut on her right front paw and a bruise on her right front leg and that is IT, but Camaba is ALL RED except its center eye which is light blue. GOD. FUCKING. DAMN.

Edit, 6th Obsidian:

Okay, this is just getting tiring. PLAN C: YET ANOTHER TABLE!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:14:00 pm by Lielac »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32337 on: January 21, 2014, 07:16:50 pm »

Yup, grizzlies can do suprisingly well against megabeasts.  A swamp titan that flew over my walls landed right in the middle of the grizzly pasture.  It met a grisly end :).

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32338 on: January 21, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »

Yup, grizzlies can do suprisingly well against megabeasts.  A swamp titan that flew over my walls landed right in the middle of the grizzly pasture.  It met a grisly end :).

Don't you mean a grizzly end? :D

Laborfords
1st Granite, 216

I'm making a secondary room with five war grizzlies and a third table. Hopefully this time I'll be able to off this goddamn bug.

Edit:

The war bear detection system is also doing quite well, and has noticed its first ambush. Which was, incidentally, already on the bottom of the HFDP.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32339 on: January 21, 2014, 07:42:27 pm »

Awright! Come test my automatic murdertrap, would you?

7th Opal:

NO, YOU OBNOXIOUS LITTLE DUNG BEETLE, STAND ONE TILE TO THE SOUTH!

I'm pretty sure that forgotten beasts and titans are trapavoid and thus won't trigger pressure plates. Well, not directly. You can always trick them into setting off a water switch (costs you a door per job, because they never open, always destroy doors they come across).

War animals can be quite useful. In one fort, a dozen war dogs managed to lock down a war _jabberer_, a violent birdlike creature almost as large as an elephant. And those were the unfixed fort-born dogs, roughly the size of cavies. The constant nibbling from all sides overexerted the jabberer so badly that it kept passing out and never counterattacked until the military came over to finish it off.

Blamelesscloister, winter of 89, 29th year of the fort. We finally reached the watermark of 80 beards and promptly received no dwarven but rather a goblin caravan. They only had some second-hand clothing and equipment, but were charitable enough to give us everything for free.

I had save-scummed a mood that failed from me being distracted and only noticing the moody child was missing a single piece of raw green glass when six weeks had gone by. While i waited for the glassmaker to make the glass, the child went berserk, bringing us back down to 79. I was also kind of miffed by the human caravan getting scared away by a kobold ambush. With this cheaty knowledge, i went and locked everything up before the humans came and got them through the side corridor intact, albeit without wagons (humans with wagons are annoying anyway - tons of useless large clothes and take _forever_ to pack up, running the risk of a gridlock with the dwarfs). The child successfully made their giant pig bone toy hammer, as a possession. As revenge, the kobolds glitched their way inside the fort. I still have no idea how they do it, if there's some sort of one-way passage that cannot be used from within, only from the outside, or if they straightway spawn inside. Hopefully, the coming sieges will give a hint - with those, you get to see their spawn points. The swordbolds sneakily walked right into the eastern dining room and asked an eating farmer for directions to the artefact hoard and whether she was interested in acquiring some top-class face stabbings. As it turned out, the farmer was the marksdwarf squad leader, who promptly shot the leading kobold so hard it was hurled a few steps back by the impact. The rest of the squad was heartily welcomed by the instantly-scrambled melee troops and the nearby war grizzly contingent. Cue mauling and flying kobold parts.

The "siege" was the standard first open assault consisting of a few spear-carriers and a bowgobbo riding a giant olm. Not very exciting, mainly good to see the blow-by-blow account of how minecarts go about pulping goblins; it usually takes two to four pages of reports; every cart impact breaks something, but there are so many bones in a goblin that fatal hits take a while to occur. If a headcrush doesn't come up, it's either a mangled heart or suffocation, from crushed lungs or paralysis via destroyed spine. A ten-ton minecart is rather brutal in its effects: one hit jammed the _left_ false ribs through the _right_ true ribs. The primary minecart's at 142 kills now.
Pages: 1 ... 2154 2155 [2156] 2157 2158 ... 3835