Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 [2157] 2158 2159 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787199 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32340 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:21 pm »

Awright! Come test my automatic murdertrap, would you?

7th Opal:

NO, YOU OBNOXIOUS LITTLE DUNG BEETLE, STAND ONE TILE TO THE SOUTH!

I'm pretty sure that forgotten beasts and titans are trapavoid and thus won't trigger pressure plates. Well, not directly. You can always trick them into setting off a water switch (costs you a door per job, because they never open, always destroy doors they come across.

... Oh. Right. -thunks head against wall-

Laborfords
11th Granite, 216

Three of the five sacrificial war bears are gnawing Camaba red all over. It doesn't have time to counterattack at all and it is GLORIOUS.

Edit, 12th Granite:
One of the bears successfully bruised Camaba's brain, and the beast is now available for butchering. HUZZAH!

She has been given the name Enethifa.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:50:58 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32341 on: January 21, 2014, 07:52:30 pm »

This is a stack of 190 exceptional prepared hydra meat roast.  The ingredients are masterfully minced prepared hydra eye, exceptionally minced prepared hydra kidney, exceptionally minced prepared hydra spleen and exceptionally minced hydra meat. 

Oooh yeah.  112,100 value.  :o

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32342 on: January 21, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »

I wonder what its value will be after it's been transformed into dwarven shit.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32343 on: January 21, 2014, 10:02:21 pm »

Spent a year hacking through livestock, because every non egg layer was reaching critical mass (even the alpacas). Only the dogs are left. I swear that I have so much leather and wool that I'm considering skipping farming entirely this year.

When the blood settled, the dwarves could see that the forges were working, the final links are being setup in the water cooling system. When it's done, then they can funnel water from the 3rd cavern to either the plant farm, the obsidian farm, the water wheels, or down a separate drain. And typing this, I realized that I forgot about a mist generator tunnel. Oh well, that can wait until the whole activate water wheels, minecarts, magma pumping phase. Hopefully metal-clothing and electricity can come before another butchering phase.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32344 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:59 pm »

Laborfords
1st Limestone, 216

Oh, nothing, I just lost nearly three months in-game because my computer burped again. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Edit: No, wait, I can't math, it was... okay, I don't know. My computer froze up at some point after I got an FB (I was AFK and came back to a boxed announcement), and now I just got one and it's mid-Autumn, and early Sandstone at that. So... a month or so?? pfff I don't even know.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:52:54 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32345 on: January 21, 2014, 11:31:25 pm »

Any idea why the freeze-ups? I hate hearing about people's computer woes, especially when they involve the loss of months of valuable DF work instead of stuff like school assignments or work projects or spending plans.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32346 on: January 21, 2014, 11:43:22 pm »

Any idea why the freeze-ups? I hate hearing about people's computer woes, especially when they involve the loss of months of valuable DF work instead of stuff like school assignments or work projects or spending plans.

No idea, but I'm monitoring everything visible in Task Manager and Googling anything I don't recognize. Removed one thing so far.

And it was only an hour or two of work, 'cause I seasonal save. Still mildly irritating, and a bit concerning 'cause computers aren't supposed to freeze up randomly.

Early winter 216 here in Laborfords, and only 3 people are content and 5 happy. Everybody else is ecstatic. And friends with each other, I think. Ehehehe.

Edit, 25th Moonstone:

What should I do? I know FB webs are only as valuable as cave spider silk, but on the other hand, SILK FARM.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:50:31 pm by Lielac »

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32347 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:13 am »

heh, yeah. some of us have finicky setups. I learned the hard way that a volcano, stream (made or natural) and 300 beards is the endpoint of my processing power...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32348 on: January 22, 2014, 12:11:45 am »

heh, yeah. some of us have finicky setups. I learned the hard way that a volcano, stream (made or natural) and 300 beards is the endpoint of my processing power...

I'm at ~50 FPS with 76 beards and 50-60ish% (total) CPU usage. 307MB is dorfs, which isn't even close to DF's 2GB max. The BSODs are definitely because of something else on my computer. DF just kills itself if I overstress it, not the whole computer.

Laborfords
Late winter 216

Efaci still lives, and also there's been a human siege going on since late summer. BORIIIIIIIIIIING

Edit, 12th Obsidian:
I just witnessed the bug where a child born to an invader's mount is promptly dogpiled by the invaders. A horse foal was born to one of the mounts of the human siegers, and 14 different humans promptly shot it full of bolts.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:16:33 am by Lielac »

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32349 on: January 22, 2014, 02:01:13 am »

Just created a new world and had a look through with Legends for the first time. The first dwarven civ I look at has 150 years of successful goblin conquests, mostly led by a single farmer/general (218 battles won 2 losses). She then naturally became obsessed with immortality, profaned, and became a vampire. Suspected of murder but never caught she's spent the last 50 years bouncing from mountain hall to mountain hall, occasionally fighting in wars but mostly just beekeeping and crafting furniture. And drinking blood - over 1200 unsolved murders have followed in her wake.

During those 50 years the civ's military reputation has taken a dive. New generals have failed to have any success at all, losing 1000's of dwarves to the scattered remnants of the local goblins. Even the elves won the only conflict in a 2000-deaths apiece bloodbath. The dwarven leaders have become apathetic, safe in their mountain halls, even entrusting the military leadership to naturalised goblins! This has culminated in a complete debacle, 2500 dwarves sent to attack 91 goblins... the goblin fortress holding, with only 400 dwarves making it back alive.

I'm not sure if this really belongs in this thread seeing as I haven't even started a fortress yet but it feels like there's an epic going on already, all randomly-generated. The best part is the vampire general is still kicking around and could hopefully turn up as a migrant, so could have another shot at leading the army.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32350 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:10 am »

Laborfords
20th Timber, 217

WELL FINALLY. I was getting bored of those bloody humans.

Edit, 22nd Timber: SHIT THEY HAVE A WAR JABBERER ABORT ABORT CLOSE THE GA-- Oh, they're leaving? SWEET.

Edit2, 11th Obsidian:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII dooooooooooooooooooon't caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:57:07 am by Lielac »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32351 on: January 22, 2014, 06:10:18 am »

Okay, sorry, but I need to make a new post for this. News like this doesn't deserve being edited into a post.

Laborfords
18th Malachite, 218

DRAGON

MOTHER. FUCKING. DRAGON.

DRAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

I HAVEN'T SEEN ONE OF THESE SINCE MY FORT RELICVEIL WAY, WAY, WAY BACK WHEN IN 2010 WHEN I JUST JOINED THESE FORUMS.

MOTHER. FUCKING. DRAGON.

Please note that I am currently under siege by 48 humans and their horses. Man, this is gonna be GREAT.

Edit, 24th Malachite:

WHAT SIEGE? :D :D :D

Oh man, oh man, oh man, I have got to get myself this dragon.

Edit2, 20th Galena:
Oh no, oh no, oh noooooo, goddamn kobold ambushes, don't you dare hurt my pretty dragon don't you DARE kill her

Edit3, 21st Galena:
YOU GODDAMN THIEVING BASTARDS. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ITEMS BUT HOW. FUCKING. DARE. YOU TAKE MY DRAGON FROM ME. YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES.

Edit4: Okay, time for bed.

Edit5: According to an XML dump I did of the world, Inira was the only dragon in the world. ... And the only age of the world was named after her. fUCKING KOBOLDS
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:17:28 am by Lielac »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32352 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:05 am »

Blamelesscloister has finished most of its thirtieth year and weathered the first real siege. Unfortunately, this three-squad siege had two squad leaders riding _giant bats_. Just great. After they sat on the edge of the map without moving for a whole month, i went into the raws and took the bats' [FLIER] tag away. The siege was routed with next to no dwarven exposure to danger, all by mechanised goblinite harvesting. The most prominent siege-beater was expectedly the infamous ☼nickel silver minecart☼, with a little help from its friends, the five native gold boulders. It's sitting at a solid 170 kills now, and the minecart grinder has proven adequate to handle cave dragons (youngish ones, since the world's only ninety years old).

On the less awesome side, the grinder has eaten two diplomats so far. Their pathing is really atrocious.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32353 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:51 am »

Humans have come to trade, I love this site, the tree line forced wagons to one path (which I paved :3) My dorfs are happy even after so much recent death (apparently the Dwarven Torch was friends with everyone.) Some of my initial 7 have gotten married and spawning dorflings. Fixed a bottleneck with the clayworks so I'm gonna start back up my pottery industry. I am so contented right now.

Edit, just lost 6 dorfs to an ambush. Now I remember why I hate wooded sites, you have to defend the surface :/
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:38:37 am by KingBacon »
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32354 on: January 22, 2014, 10:31:23 am »

Starting a mega-project fort.  bumped up minerals, modded whip vines to be growable in any savage biome, forgot to turn off invasions. 

Well, at least this embark has a forest for making lots of cagetraps. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: 1 ... 2155 2156 [2157] 2158 2159 ... 3835