Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2156 2157 [2158] 2159 2160 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788269 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32355 on: January 22, 2014, 11:01:57 am »

Outpost "Hope", Month 3 of the year 1200.
After finding a box of tools, including a crowbar, inside a pile of scrap metal, we've set up an area for opening boxes and crates next to the salvage yard. The living quarters, random junk stockpile, and meeting/eating room have been completed and sealed, so there's no risk of robots or creatures wandering in. The south half of the wall has been completed, made from blocks of the granite here. We're now focusing on destroying the mountain, so we don't have to build the wall multiple stories. A Mr. Macintosh is currently wandering around outside, so all progress is halted until it wanders off.

What mod are you playing?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32356 on: January 22, 2014, 01:20:02 pm »

Inira was the only dragon in the world. ... And the only age of the world was named after her. fUCKING KOBOLDS

Kobolds killed the dragon?  Then again, kittens have defeated forgotten beasts, so anything is possible.  Can you post the final bit of combat text?  Sorry you lost her :(.

Urist McOriginalname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32357 on: January 22, 2014, 02:24:52 pm »

Daaaaaaaamn! The migrant waves are badass like never before.
I got a dwarf that had lost his right hand during world gen come to my fort.
I guess he lost the hand fighting an elf, but I'll check legends to see why was every single body part of him bruised (including the brain) and his right hand missing.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32358 on: January 22, 2014, 03:14:48 pm »

Inira was the only dragon in the world. ... And the only age of the world was named after her. fUCKING KOBOLDS

Kobolds killed the dragon?  Then again, kittens have defeated forgotten beasts, so anything is possible.  Can you post the final bit of combat text?  Sorry you lost her :(.

Two kobold ambushes, to be specific. They're annoyingly good dragonslayers when they have spears and hit bone. Kobbies get bold when I leave the crap outside around for them to steal. I don't know if they had shields, but I'm pretty sure the human siegers did and a human spearman managed to get in a lucky shot that seriously disabled Inira and made her vomit regularly. (As of the edit below, no, it was kobolds too.)

Thanks for the condolences. I'll check the combat logs once I get off my phone and crawl out of bed.

Edit: Here's a movie I made where I scroll through all the combat reports under Inira's name. She got hit by a human spearman, then a kobold bowsquad shot her in the guts and right lung, chipped the bone of her left rear leg and tore a tendon, and only then burned to death. Then a second squad of kobolds, with at least one spearman, took advantage of Inira's injured state to stab her in painful and deadly places.

I hate kobolds :'(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:41:09 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32359 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:48 pm »

You should go butcher her corpse and make yourself a dragon leather thong. It's what she would have wanted.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32360 on: January 22, 2014, 03:43:34 pm »

You should go butcher her corpse and make yourself a dragon leather thong. It's what she would have wanted.

hELL NO

If I ever go outside to retrieve her corpse, I am giving her the closest thing to a proper burial I can manage. Probably I'll put her in a display case. She'll be a skeleton by then, I could call it a museum exhibit...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32361 on: January 22, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »

If you butcher her you could put her in, like, a hundred display cases, the more to honor her memory with.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32362 on: January 22, 2014, 03:47:56 pm »

If you butcher her you could put her in, like, a hundred display cases, the more to honor her memory with.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If I'd gotten my hands on her she'd be an honored member of my fort, I am not desecrating her memory by treating her like a common animal! :(

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32363 on: January 22, 2014, 03:51:57 pm »

If a thong is completely out of the question, perhaps you should melt down the spears of the kobolds that slew her and build a bitchin' metal tomb out of them.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32364 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:35 pm »

If a thong is completely out of the question, perhaps you should melt down the spears of the kobolds that slew her and build a bitchin' metal tomb out of them.

I think that could be arranged.

Edit:
Laborfords
18th Timber, 218

Now they're all on war jabberers! Hmmm, how about FUCK THAT. -continues turtling-
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:18:03 pm by Lielac »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32365 on: January 22, 2014, 04:21:48 pm »

But think about all of the jabberer leather thongs there are to be made.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32366 on: January 22, 2014, 04:25:30 pm »

But think about all of the jabberer leather thongs there are to be made.

You're obsessed.

I can't deturtle because my entire offense is based on retracting bridges, and jabberers make bridges not work.

... I need a secondary tunnel filled with serrated discs. Except I don't have any sand. I have a dozen or so magnetite clusters, but no sand.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32367 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:51 pm »

What's wrong with iron or steel serrated disks?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32368 on: January 22, 2014, 04:40:25 pm »

What's wrong with iron or steel serrated disks?

Unlike sand, iron is a semi-limited resource, and I like to carpet my trap entrances with discs. I might do it anyway, because I'm totally cool with exploting melt duplication, but it's less convenient than spamming collect sand jobs.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32369 on: January 22, 2014, 05:00:57 pm »

Iron menacing spikes. You need a one-tile wide corridor, maybe ten long (you can make it winding, to slow down invaders even more), stick a cluster of 4+ spikes in each tile, hook 'em up to a repeater. It's totally unimpressed by trapavoiders and never fully jams. Occasionally, you'll get a weaponmaster or roc who dodges them all, but two or three weapon or cage traps are adequate to catch those. 40 spikes should be enough, preferably metal and of high quality.

My most recent experience was with a powered minecart grinder, which was even cheaper in metal - six carts (twelve metal bars, all of non-weapon types) and 30 native gold boulders (could be replaced by other heavy stone, but native gold is highly recommended - 2000kg each; if your site has gold, procuring those will be easy enough, otherwise, import them from the dwarven caravan). And it's hilariously oversized - nothing, including the cave dragon siege, has gotten past the third cart, so four carts and twenty boulders should be adequate. Once they get hit, they get swept aside and kept in permanent hit/stun lock. Nothing can move, building destroyers can't do their thing, everything expires from terrifying blunt damage. Efficiency is limited by cart weight vs. creature weight - for megabeasts, you might need to stick minecarts full of gould boulders into your minecarts, matrjoschka-style.

Re: dragon - i'd commemorate the dragon by having the bones made into an artefact and creating a lot of dragon soap. One should give about a hundred bars of soap, enough to build a little memorial.
Pages: 1 ... 2156 2157 [2158] 2159 2160 ... 3835