Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2157 2158 [2159] 2160 2161 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788171 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32370 on: January 22, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »

Iron menacing spikes. You need a one-tile wide corridor, maybe ten long (you can make it winding, to slow down invaders even more), stick a cluster of 4+ spikes in each tile, hook 'em up to a repeater. It's totally unimpressed by trapavoiders and never fully jams. Occasionally, you'll get a weaponmaster or roc who dodges them all, but two or three weapon or cage traps are adequate to catch those. 40 spikes should be enough, preferably metal and of high quality.

My most recent experience was with a powered minecart grinder, which was even cheaper in metal - six carts (twelve metal bars, all of non-weapon types) and 30 native gold boulders (could be replaced by other heavy stone, but native gold is highly recommended - 2000kg each; if your site has gold, procuring those will be easy enough, otherwise, import them from the dwarven caravan). And it's hilariously oversized - nothing, including the cave dragon siege, has gotten past the third cart, so four carts and twenty boulders should be adequate. Once they get hit, they get swept aside and kept in permanent hit/stun lock. Nothing can move, building destroyers can't do their thing, everything expires from terrifying blunt damage. Efficiency is limited by cart weight vs. creature weight - for megabeasts, you might need to stick minecarts full of gould boulders into your minecarts, matrjoschka-style.

Re: dragon - i'd commemorate the dragon by having the bones made into an artefact and creating a lot of dragon soap. One should give about a hundred bars of soap, enough to build a little memorial.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I shall consider this!

Laborfords
1st Granite, 219

Are you quite sure you don't mean the Age of Kobolds? Y'know, since they killed the dragon the last age was named after?

totally not still bitter what are you talking about

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32371 on: January 22, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »

Outpost Hope, month 6 of 1200
Things are going smoothly. If you count "smoothly" as having lost two ponies. Both were fisherponies. They were felled by a rogue protectapony that strayed into the area, and at the time, they were fishing outside the wall, at the river. Why the chose to fish there instead of on the part of the river inside the wall, I'll never know. As for progress: The mountain has been dug down into nothingness, and the wall completed. Hope now has gleaming marble walls, both good for us and bad. They'll hopefully attract wandering ponies to, at the very least, trade, if not settle down. However, they'll also probably bring raiders and the like. Current population is 23 ponies, most of them farmers or untrained ponies, only a bit older than fillies or colts. Work has now begun on building communal houses, as there isn't enough room for individual houses. We've also recovered multiple crates from prominent pre-war companies like RobronCo, Stable-Tec, and Ironshod Firearms. Hopefully, once we get above ground living facilities set up, we can focus on utilizing the contents of these crates. Hope has a bright future.
-Overseer Doof
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32372 on: January 22, 2014, 05:44:41 pm »

Outpost "Hope", Month 3 of the year 1200.
After finding a box of tools, including a crowbar, inside a pile of scrap metal, we've set up an area for opening boxes and crates next to the salvage yard. The living quarters, random junk stockpile, and meeting/eating room have been completed and sealed, so there's no risk of robots or creatures wandering in. The south half of the wall has been completed, made from blocks of the granite here. We're now focusing on destroying the mountain, so we don't have to build the wall multiple stories. A Mr. Macintosh is currently wandering around outside, so all progress is halted until it wanders off.

What mod are you playing?

I'm playing the Fallout: Equestria mod. It's post nuclear holocaust, with ponies and DF.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32373 on: January 22, 2014, 05:49:15 pm »

Are you quite sure you don't mean the Age of Kobolds? Y'know, since they killed the dragon the last age was named after?

Perhaps you'll get lucky with some other megabeasts.  As much as I love my dragons, I wish I had rocs, too.  Probably half of my fortress's engravings are tales of Avum Beardedmassive the Roc.  Sadly, Avum and her kind are all extinct in my world :(.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32374 on: January 22, 2014, 05:57:37 pm »

Perhaps you'll get lucky with some other megabeasts.  As much as I love my dragons, I wish I had rocs, too.  Probably half of my fortress's engravings are tales of Avum Beardedmassive the Roc.  Sadly, Avum and her kind are all extinct in my world :(.

Unfortunately, all the interesting megabeasts are either dead (Iniraaaaaaaaaaaaa) or nonexistent (NO ROCS?? TRAVESTY!!!!!!!!!!). -sulks in a corner- I suppose I'll just have to kill all the kobolds in retaliation for their heinous crime.

Edit:
Laborfords
25th Slate, 219

-yawn- This guy isn't even worth a cave-in. I'm gonna put a grizzly bear in the waiting room and giggle.

Edit, 1st Hematite:

OH MY GOD EFACI'S WEBS WERE STILL ON THE CAGE TRAPS AND NOW I HAVE AN FB MADE OF STEAM IN A CAGE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit2: It doesn't say "Uninvited Guest (Caged)". It says "Caged Guest". THIS IS MY FAVORITE FORT
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:37:52 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #32375 on: January 22, 2014, 06:56:34 pm »

I suppose I'll just have to kill all the kobolds in retaliation for their hilarious crime.
FTTY

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rather boring here, actually.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:27:55 pm by Starweaver396 »
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32376 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:04 pm »

Trying to figure out minecart mechanics and how to launch stuff through fortifications. Well, launch the minecarts contents anyway.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32377 on: January 22, 2014, 07:08:12 pm »

Laborfords
17th Galena, 219

♪ I've got an FB in my dining hall ♪
♪ But it's caged so I don't care at all ♪

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32378 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:25 pm »

I have a fortress with noxious clouds that cause everything to bleed to death within seconds. Should I undertake the monumental task of roofing over my entire embark area in order to render the surface survivable to my dwarves? It would make sieges more interesting, since at the moment all they do is show up and die. It would allow me to recover twenty years of lost goblinite. And my magma landmines are already powerful enough to repel most sieges that show up...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32379 on: January 22, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

I have a fortress with noxious clouds that cause everything to bleed to death within seconds. Should I undertake the monumental task of roofing over my entire embark area in order to render the surface survivable to my dwarves? It would make sieges more interesting, since at the moment all they do is show up and die. It would allow me to recover twenty years of lost goblinite. And my magma landmines are already powerful enough to repel most sieges that show up...

HELL. YES. Roof it, roof it all, it's the dwarfiest thing! Don't forget to tally the bodycount!

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #32380 on: January 22, 2014, 08:14:40 pm »

I... just got the invite to become part of the kingdom... For the first time... I'm very confused. I've tried to make this happen over and over, and when I don't want it to happen, it does... Oh well.

I chose a random (fixed) merchant with high Leader role rating, named her Mary(like that one terrible queen) and am about to use the impregnate command to give her an heir. Didn't even realize the religious significance until I started typing. She and her son worship Gamil, the deity of Healing.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:34:28 pm by Starweaver396 »
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32381 on: January 22, 2014, 08:59:22 pm »

Blamelesscloister has survived thirty years, sitting on a glacier bordering on a taiga. The first year was characterised by defence against yetis, after that it settled down to animalpeople from the taiga. We _could_ grow surface crops if we bothered. All living quarters and most workshops are built into the glacier, with many workshops built from ice. Rooms in general are quite lavish, the ducal suite takes up a few hundred tiles; well, you have to spend all those years _somehow_, and mining and engraving aren't the worst uses of time and ressources. There's a magma workshop with two forges, two smelters, a glass furnace and a kiln in the topmost stone layer (carted magma up over a hundred levels from the magma sea, not-automated, so each workshop has a measly one-tile 4/7 pool under it).

With several dolomite layers containing rich lignite veins and massive iron imports from three civs (dwarf, human and goblin), the five militarydwarfs are clad in finest steel and weapon traps are also equipped with that metal.

Population cap was set low enough to ensure no migration past the first year, the fort has grown to its current 86 beards entirely by natural growth. Fourteen dwarven lives have been lost on the site, as many as elves died here - mostly from goblin ambushes, although a handful fell victim to a pathing misunderstanding.

Considering the very poor results they have to show, the goblins have been remarkably persistent. Just over 550 hostile units have not returned from the site, 475 of them were killed and 84 captured.

Most dwarven losses were suffered in the earlier years, when the main defence strategy consisted of cage trap spam around a single entry. It took me a while to learn that cage traps as goblin defence make most sense as _second_ line, to catch stragglers that made it through weapon traps. Furthermore, ambushes' invisibility strongly suggests a defence design that's not just based on "inside" vs. "outside", but rather sets up perimeters - an "outer" range that stands undefended, a "near" range, where the active defences like traps are stationed and a "core" area with some passive measures like security doors, stationed warbeasts etc. but where hostiles should never reach; and all of them must be strictly separate, so that you can let goblins into the "near" kill-zone, let the traps do their thing and lock that area against the outside, so the haulers and mechanics can clear the zone without getting molested.

I eventually constructed a minecart grinder and dedicated my further work on this fort on observing and if necessary refining this defensive measure. There was very little adjustment required - use raising bridges to open/interdict path into the grinder so you can keep traders and diplomats alive, load up the carts to have sufficient weight to shift war beasts - the core design is pretty intuitive and worked very satisfactorily right out of the box. The grinder has accounted for 210 out of the fort's kills, and the vast majority of kills which occurred during its activity. As with other fully-automated traps, the main problem is not getting it to kill things, but rather to kill the _right_ things. An "enemy vs. friendly" filter promises to be a decent challenge, esp. since i'm playing unmodded and thus have many microdwarfs who don't trigger pressure plates; and friendlies (caravans and diplomats) are 100% trapavoid, so giving them a path that a trapavoiding hostile _won't_ take seems difficult.

An alternative "on demand" minecart cannon, launching carts when a pressure plate gets activated, was not nearly so effective but fulfilled its intended purpose which was to soften up sneak squads on their way to the weapon and cage traps. The installation even scored a few kills - lead minecarts propelled by highest-speed rollers can put a bit of a dent into a goblin.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32382 on: January 22, 2014, 09:26:07 pm »

I don't know how it got there but there's a capybara running around my fort and I don't know how to get it out.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32383 on: January 22, 2014, 09:50:20 pm »

I don't know how it got there but there's a capybara running around my fort and I don't know how to get it out.

Miner(s) and/or woodcutter(s) in an impromptu squad, sic squad on capybara. Should take care of the problem.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32384 on: January 22, 2014, 10:24:38 pm »

Can't I tame it or something?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 2157 2158 [2159] 2160 2161 ... 3835