Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787570 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32415 on: January 24, 2014, 09:13:55 am »

In my incredibly ressource-poor split fort, a kid got a possession (woodcrafting) and required three logs of wood, one roll of cloth and _six_ stacks of bone. I had to slaughter most of the available animals to get it started, but just confiscated everything apart from one log, the cloth and a stack of cat bones once the work started. I wasn't going to piss away the entire slaughterable animal population for a 110% useless trinket.

One of my tinkering forts is in a good-aligned area. We've caught a bunch of unicorns and many of our artefacts contain unicorn products. We also caught some satyrs, which as sentients (i guess) cannot be tamed nor butchered, so i chained one up in the duchess' throne room to add a pinch of exoticness. Interestingly, visiting diplomats don't seem to get along with him very well, i regularly get combat reports during meetings. At least there's not much damage done either way, since diplomats are unarmed civilians, and satyrs are probably fairly small, so their horns don't do much. Last time, however, the liaison _bit_ the satyr in the arm and shook him around, resulting in nasty scars and nerve damage.

PS: artefacts - you'll really have to go generational and let them accumulate for a couple of decades. Artefacts are not very exciting when all adults have mooded and you only get kiddy garbage, but i've had forts that temporarily had more artefacts than living dwarfs. My generational glacier fort was there, but then got half a dozen marriages arranged so population's gone up fairly rapidly; now they're at 86 dwarfs and 75 artefacts, plus six named weapons/shields.

PPS: my duchess is extra happy because she "saw a beloved creature". The only kind of creatures she likes are - honeybees! Yes, she's happy we have some hives installed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:00:12 am by Larix »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32416 on: January 24, 2014, 09:35:40 am »

In non-fortress news, I'm definitely meatspace cave adapted. God I'm such a shut-in. The sunlight is significantly helping my mood, though, so there's that.

ANYWAY!

... I hit the enter key and it submitted THE HECK

Laborfords
6th Slate, 223

This actually happened in Granite, I think, but we have 44 artifacts. FORTY. FOUR. And 96 dwarves, which definitely became a thing in Granite because Kadol Abyssink II was born on the 28th of that. She's one of Minkot's kids, so she's actually two years younger than her oldest niece. Maaaaaaaaan. (I have a couple nieces who are older than me.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:40:27 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32417 on: January 24, 2014, 09:44:52 am »

How much did the sunlight make you vomit?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32418 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:07 am »

How much did the sunlight make you vomit?

Nuh-uh, I was only irritated by the sun. First level of cave adaption, not second.

A neat thing: The last four beardlings born are all in Clan Abyssink. Of the last 10 beardlings, 7 are Abyssink. MINKOT, STOP TAKING OVER THE FORTRESS!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32419 on: January 24, 2014, 10:12:01 am »

We also caught some satyrs, which as sentients (i guess) cannot be tamed nor butchered, so i chained one up in the duchess' throne room to add a pinch of exoticness.

I believe the proper term for satyrs chained up in a duchess' room is erotic, if you know what I mean. Heyoooo.
---------
Steelstaff, Year 1 of embark, population 44;

The carpenter completed an artifact wood table, decorated with some silk and stone. That's it really. Still, I know one piece of furniture that's going in the dining hall.

Now that the troll has been killed, the cavern is swarming with troglodytes. We lost a promising bowyer (who was our only skilled bowyer) to a lucky facepunch. Now I'm sending the newly recruited hammersquad down to clear out the trogs so we can seal off the cavern. Screw troglodytes, those guys are a huge pain. They're disrupting my dwarves gathering silk, they're disrputing my mechanics byuilding the cage traps in the cave entrance, they're disrupting my interest in doing other things by constantly annoying me.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32420 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:37 am »

It'd be cool if the names actually did go patrilineal or matrilineal (random choice depending on the culture) rather than random whatever.

Also, lol mr space cat.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32421 on: January 24, 2014, 11:27:08 am »

It'd be cool if the names actually did go patrilineal or matrilineal (random choice depending on the culture) rather than random whatever.

There should definitely be options for this kind of stuff. Matrilineal, patrilineal, matronyms, patronyms, occupational, toponymic, male and female variations... basically SO MANY OPTIONS

---

Laborfords
22nd Malachite, 223

... 200+ FB bones went into that thing. AND IT'S WORTH A GRAND TOTAL OF 13200☼. -SCREAMING EXTERNALLY-

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32422 on: January 24, 2014, 11:43:33 am »

In other news, I successfully made a dry run (as in no targets) of the caravan killer shotgun and plan on using it at the first opportunity, probably the elves if they bring too few or crappy animals.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32423 on: January 24, 2014, 12:15:57 pm »

ON the @VerdantSF question: you've got an obscenely long-lived fort, right? I'd like to check out the familial relationships there, because the wiki is under the impression that only royalty has grandparents, uncles/aunts, nieces/nephews, or cousins, and I have two walking disagreements. Well, one, because Sarvesh just grew to become a child, but whatever. Rakust still exists.

I never noticed that blurb on the wiki, but you're right, it's incorrect.  Here's a look at one of my non-noble 4th generation dwarves.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:44:36 pm by VerdantSF »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32424 on: January 24, 2014, 12:25:57 pm »

ON the @VerdantSF question: you've got an obscenely long-lived fort, right? I'd like to check out the familial relationships there, because the wiki is under the impression that only royalty has grandparents, uncles/aunts, nieces/nephews, or cousins, and I have two walking disagreements. Well, one, because Sarvesh just grew to become a child, but whatever. Rakust still exists.

I never noticed that blurb on the wiki, but you're right, it's incorrect.  Here's a look at one of my 4th generation dwarves.

-snip-

Thank you!

Laborfords
3rd Limestone, 223

Urist Lockhatchet has given birth to a son, Mosus. I haven't seen a nearly empty relationships screen in... gods, too long.

Hmm. Sleep, or cataloguing all the lovers/married couples in the fort and noting whether they're alive or not?

... Sleep is for the sane, and I'm already 22+ years in.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:34:10 pm by Lielac »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32425 on: January 24, 2014, 12:46:40 pm »

Hmm. Sleep, or cataloguing all the lovers/married couples in the fort and noting whether they're alive or not?

The answer is obvious!  Time to catalog!  I need to do this at some point, too.  I also need to get started on some matchmaking.  Relicshield has gone too long without a wedding.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:48:49 pm by VerdantSF »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32426 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:05 pm »

I need to do this at some point, too.  I also need to get started on some matchmaking.  Relicshield has gone too long without a wedding.

I have 7 lover couples and 12 married couples. Sort of. 1 dwarf, Atis Bluefloors, lost his lover Meng Roughtaxed to... probably a minecart accident but I don't know. So I have 6 potential marriages and 1 permanent bachelor. Of the lovers, I have 2 Holeportals, 2 Twinklingdiamond, 1 Abyssink, and 1 Utteredinks.

Of the married couples, 3 have one half somewhere else. Of the remaining 9, one has a dead half: Alath, Matriarch of Utteredinks, lost her husband Rigoth Shipdawned to the unfairness of old age. The other 8 are the Holeportals Martiarch Ushat I, the current Twinklingdiamond Matriarch Cerol, the new clan Lockhatchet's Matriarch Urist, and the Abyssink Matriarch Minkot and three of her daughters. No wonder I have so many Abyssinks...

Edit: As of 1st Galena, Matriarch Alath of Utteredinks has birthed her last child. She's has 32 in total, 21 of which live in Laborfords.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:01:19 pm by Lielac »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32427 on: January 24, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »

I wish I had paid more attention to matchmaking early on.  Of my Original Seven, I'm pretty sure only one family line is still around, the noble Taxeddaggers.  There were other couples, but I never gave them enough time off :(.  Btw, what's your child cap at?  Your dwarves are churning out kids!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32428 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »

I envy the patience and attention spans of you people who are able to control fortresses long enough to see your dwarves die of old age. I usually have my hand hovering over the self-destruct lever two or three years into a fort.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32429 on: January 24, 2014, 01:09:53 pm »

I envy the patience and attention spans of you people who are able to control fortresses long enough to see your dwarves die of old age. I usually have my hand hovering over the self-destruct lever two or three years into a fort.

Fort just starts to get interesting then.  You move from survival -> Insanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 3835