Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2161 2162 [2163] 2164 2165 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788917 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32430 on: January 24, 2014, 01:13:55 pm »

I wish I had paid more attention to matchmaking early on.  Of my Original Seven, I'm pretty sure only one family line is still around, the noble Taxeddaggers.  There were other couples, but I never gave them enough time off :(.  Btw, what's your child cap at?  Your dwarves are churning out kids!

What's a child cap? :D

100:1000, 'cause right now I like kids.

Edit: I just noticed that Matriarch Lockhatchet's firstborn pushed Laborfords into the triple digits. OKAY, TIME FOR BED FOR REALS NOW
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:16:07 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32431 on: January 24, 2014, 01:18:20 pm »

I usually have my hand hovering over the self-destruct lever two or three years into a fort.

I was the same!  All I can say is just give your next fort a chance, despite any mishaps.  I would quit over the most minor things, including if I mined rooms out asymmetrically.  My current fort is the first time where I just decided to stick with it, no matter what.  My attachment to the fortress really started to gel when the first native born dwarves became adults.

'cause right now I like kids.

Ditto, though for FPS preservation, I have to keep my population under 200 :(.  My current kid cap is at 1 overall.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:22:57 pm by VerdantSF »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32432 on: January 24, 2014, 01:21:22 pm »

*Oops, consolidating my posts*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:23:17 pm by VerdantSF »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32433 on: January 24, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »

My problem is more apathy (and being uninspired and creatively bankrupt) than getting easily frustrated or being fussy about stuff like that. Even stuff like embarking on challenging sites has gotten boring. I'll probably get back into the game after the next release, though; being able to recycle abandoned NPC fortresses will give me something to build off of, I think. Also, Moria-esque stuff is just awesome. Climbing enemies might also add some much-needed challenge to the game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32434 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:39 pm »

I envy the patience and attention spans of you people who are able to control fortresses long enough to see your dwarves die of old age. I usually have my hand hovering over the self-destruct lever two or three years into a fort.

Fort just starts to get interesting then.  You move from survival -> Insanity.

I really hate abandoning perfectly good forts when I get bored with them and the current one is over 30 years old. I'm planning on keeping this fort until the new version comes out.

As for death by old age, it may be partially the fact that I ended worldgen at 250, but I usually get such a range of ages that I see a death by old age within a decade or two.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32435 on: January 24, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »

How do all of you keep track of families inside your forts?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32436 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:55 pm »

Personally?  I don't.  Who cares?  The only concern is the tantrum spiral, at which point because I let my dorfs party a bit it's a free for all anyway.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32437 on: January 24, 2014, 02:16:49 pm »

In the d_init file, I change [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_FIRST] to [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_ALL].  Then I "nickname" each dwarf with their full name.  Therapist caps characters at 16, but if you do it manually in the game, the limit is over 30 characters. 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32438 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »

I don't keep track of the families inside the fort. I have the child cap on default, so there aren't a huge amount of children at one time.

It's been 30+ years and I have two large meeting zones well apart, so they avoid having too many friends. The only marriage so far are two miners from the starting 7. I did recently give myself a population boost upwards to 200 so....

It would be easier to start tracing family lines if I did it from the start although all of my starting 7 are still alive) and I have a sizable catacombs. Then again, I don't think there are any third gen fort born dwarves because the first gen of fort born haven't married off yet.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 02:31:42 pm by smjjames »

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32439 on: January 24, 2014, 02:26:32 pm »

In the d_init file, I change [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_FIRST] to [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_ALL].  Then I "nickname" each dwarf with their full name.  Therapist caps characters at 16, but if you do it manually in the game, the limit is over 30 characters.
Oh, I don't use therapist as I can't get it to work on my mac.  Well, not well anyway.  It loads and works, but none of the text is visible.  You have to hold the cursor over a name to figure out who you're looking for - I still use it to find my militia captains (sometimes).

I'll have to dig into the init file then.  I assume you rename ladydorfs that get married and then rename the kids?

I tend to give everyone their own table and chair in their room to avoid too much socializing, but I've always got 10-20 idlers.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32440 on: January 24, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »

I'll have to dig into the init file then.  I assume you rename ladydorfs that get married and then rename the kids?

Yup.  It's not a hassle beyond the initial big renaming spree.  These days, it's just 1 or 2 dorfs every few years (I no longer get migrant waves).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32441 on: January 24, 2014, 02:40:00 pm »

Yup.  It's not a hassle beyond the initial big renaming spree.  These days, it's just 1 or 2 dorfs every few years (I no longer get migrant waves).

Lemme guess, number of dead in the units list over 3000? Or ran out of historical migrants? In the population boost up to 200, I got lots of former outpost liaisons, also lots of seemingly randomly generated families with zero skill 'children' that have actual age as adults.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32442 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »

Lemme guess, number of dead in the units list over 3000?

Not this time around, though it's getting up there.  I'm just at my population cap.  I already cleared out my unit list a while back using that handy dwarf-only script.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32443 on: January 24, 2014, 03:05:06 pm »

The barrier to naming all of my dwarves, at the moment, is history.

Each dwarf comes with his or her own lineage, which resides primarily in Legends, and to which I have no access. *sigh* My own fortress could develop this trend, but only my own fortress: I can't do it for all of a world.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32444 on: January 24, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »

How much time do you spend in Legends Mode compared to Fort Mode, though?  What I can immediately observe in Fort Mode is all I really care about in terms of lineage.  Lineage in Legends Mode is still real and valid, but the fact that a family patriarch doesn't share a surname with his grandfather doesn't bother me.  To me, my fortress represents a pivotal moment in my dwarf civ's history, when not only a new colony was founded, but new families, as well.
Pages: 1 ... 2161 2162 [2163] 2164 2165 ... 3835