Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2162 2163 [2164] 2165 2166 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787397 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32445 on: January 24, 2014, 05:12:42 pm »

Duping creature raws, starting with the FIRST creature in creatures(old?).txt: bluejays.

embarked with humans instead of dwarves.
end up embarking twice due to oops-"failed-jungle"-should-really-have-tipped-me-off-this-is-a-reanimating-biome.
second embark, used "play now".  clothing made out of tallow, plenty of "unknown-creature-substance" quivers and bags, and...

a spider(man?) chitin chest. with a seed inside of it. sweet!

Next up: duping the raws for the five major races (dwarves humans elves goblins kobolds). Only question is: do one at a time first, or all 5 at once first?

How do all of you keep track of families inside your forts?

In the d_init file, I change [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_FIRST] to [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_ALL].  Then I "nickname" each dwarf with their full name.  Therapist caps characters at 16, but if you do it manually in the game, the limit is over 30 characters.
Definitely doing that. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:22:42 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32446 on: January 24, 2014, 09:40:38 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 155, Mid-Autumn of 349 (Year 98)

While retrieving some items from a dump site, siege engineer Sigun Bannerrain was killed when struck by a piece of leather thrown into the pit from above :(

The worker Doren Faithtorch was also injured by falling leather while retrieving Sigun's body.  He only suffered a bruise, but Mayor Mosus II Lanterngaze-Anguishedpages immediately forbid all items in the vicinity.  It's unsure how any items in that area had been marked for retrieval.  As a precaution, all dump sites are scheduled for review. 

*Edit* Several other dwarves were found injured, including Zefon Taxeddagger, son of the late Duke Phyllite Taxeddagger.  After being struck by falling junk, he fell unconscious on top of a cage trap.

Late Autumn of 349

The Evils of Spray laid siege right after the arrival of the dwarven caravan.  There were many reservists close by on the ramparts, as well as in the field gathering plunder from the previous battle.  They held off the goblins until the elite troops arrived.  All the merchants and their beasts of burden were saved.  The fortress-wide alert for sieges wasn't even needed for the first time in Relicshield's history!  Reservists throughout the fortress carried out their duties, fighting when necessary and hauling items once the enemies nearby were defeated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:51:47 pm by VerdantSF »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32447 on: January 24, 2014, 11:23:04 pm »

Getting back into Dwarf Fortress after spending much time infuriated staring at Notepad++ adding dungeons to Starbound.

Fortress: Dawntrades
Group: The Mysterious Sabre

Mods:
  • EVERYTHING FROM SPEARBREAKERS
  • 'Skythes', huge avians that dwell in caves and huger Megabeast ones in the mountains

Dwarves:
  • 'Ranna' Lilumezum
  • 'Mosrael' Lecadtosid
  • 'Kibeth' Edemging
  • 'Dyrim' Luzatcerol
  • 'Belgaer' Lolumnish
  • 'Saraneth' Onamlogem
  • 'Astarael' Sokannish

Let's do this.

Upon arrival, I quickly learned that the topographical embark view meant change in height and not absolute height, so the starting seven are now overlooking a cliff instead of burrowing into it. Also, alligators. Time to give this some [d] and then hit the spacebar.

Edit: Apparently MosraelXDyrim and BelgaerXSaraneth are things. Maybe they'll marry in the future, if they don't die.
Edit2: Migrants arrived promptly, on the 19th of Malachite. They have been designated 19MAL61 - M1 through to 19MAL61 - M9
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:59:30 pm by Lolfail0009 »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32448 on: January 24, 2014, 11:47:19 pm »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32449 on: January 25, 2014, 12:29:58 am »

~Dawntrades~

More migrants arrived - the 03SAN61 wave.

Was just getting my workshops up and running and some kid, 19MAL61 - M3, gets possessed.
I saw this and all I could think was something along the lines of:
OVERRIDING AUTONOMOUS CONTROL.
UNIT 19MAL61 - M3 CONSTRUCTION OVERDRIVE.
ERROR 000005: UNABLE TO OVERCLOCK NEURAL SYSTEM. UNIT WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED UPON TERMINATION OF MANUAL CONTROL.

Edit: He took three logs and made a piccolo, Onulerith "The Wayward Throat". Wondrous start.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:33:22 am by Lolfail0009 »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32450 on: January 25, 2014, 02:04:29 am »

Relicshield, pop. 155, Mid-Autumn of 349 (Year 98)

While retrieving some items from a dump site, siege engineer Sigun Bannerrain was killed when struck by a piece of leather thrown into the pit from above :(

The worker Doren Faithtorch was also injured by falling leather while retrieving Sigun's body.

Hmyes, how the first dwarf manages to get themselves hurt in those cascades is usually a bit of a mystery - it could be someone going "on break" after dumping something, which often entails standing around in the immediate vicinity of the last job location or deciding to "clean" something ridiculously dangerous. Way too often, one never finds out.

But everything after the first tends to be "recover wounded", "place item in tomb", "pickup equipment", "store item in stockpile", i.e. interactions with a wounded or killed dwarf. Everything involving dead dwarfs can be blocked thoroughly by proper "o"rders "F"orbid settings. I generally forbid all death items. Makes corpse-handling (including own corpses) more of a hassle but also much safer. Took me a bit of adjustment, but getting rid of the infamous "haulers run into the sieging army to grab socks" suicide rushes was definitely worth it.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32451 on: January 25, 2014, 07:19:49 am »

I just needed to test one of my pits, and ,of course, my test subject was a dwarven child. I constructed a hatch cover above the opening of the pit, assigned the kid to a burrow placed there, and let my manager pull the lever. Everything worked and the kid died. I engraved a slab for the poor fellow, and accidentaly I pressed v instead of enter when I wanted to place it. This is what it said:.
 I have absolutely no idea why some random duck was mentioned on the slab and given a name for doing nothing.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32452 on: January 25, 2014, 07:21:18 am »

Use ducks as a scapegoat when people object to your child murdering machines.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32453 on: January 25, 2014, 08:29:11 am »

Use ducks as a scapegoat when people object to your child murdering machines.
Sig'd

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32454 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:19 am »

Steelshaft, Year 3 since embark, 1st of Granite 128. Population 70.

It came to my attention there's 20 something idlers, with all 6 stoneshapers with no jobs. They should be making blocks right now, what's going--

Oh wow, we're out of stone. Sound the alarms, the end of the world is nigh. Guess I'll set the miners to digging out some bedrooms or something.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32455 on: January 25, 2014, 10:22:58 am »

My woodcutter went beserk and killed at least 3 dwarves with her axe, it wouldn't be that noteable, except that I had only just had my first liaison visiting the fortress, and it left me with only seven useful dwarves, and three who went insane in other colorful ways...

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32456 on: January 25, 2014, 11:07:12 am »

Mountainhome of Tamedgolds, year 15
-------------------------------------
I just witnessed my first hammering (I've been playing this insidious game for a couple months now); a Cook dared defy the king and export critical dwarven goblet technology to the humans.  He survive the first 8 blows with only bruising (steel armor vs. copper hammer), but the ninth jammed his skull through his brain.  All goblets in the fortress are now neatly piled in the king's dining room (along with all millstones and unassigned battle axes) to prevent further export discrepancies.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32457 on: January 25, 2014, 11:46:37 am »

Just got a major import of grizzly bear leather. Gonna make bear suits for my non-mining/woodcutting dorfs.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #32458 on: January 25, 2014, 12:05:50 pm »

Steelshaft is catching a bunch of naked mole dogs from the caverns. Currently got two trainers working on that. There was a giant cave spider down there at some point, some building destroyer traps are being spread around the caverns in case one comes back.

Population hit 91. The hammersquad is being complemented with a newly formed macesquad from the latest crowd of migrants. Bronze gear and silver weapons for both of them, since there's no other metals available and we have a bit of a fuel shortage.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32459 on: January 25, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »

Laborfords
13th Galena, 224

Lemme just quote myself when a friend of mine asked me "wossup"...

"wuz zz, thought it would only be nap so left pooter on to let DF choochoo, come back to gobbins sieging me"

No new births in the time I wasn't paying attention, but since the last time I posted here I'm up to 107 beards and 3 new marriages (Abyssink, Twinklingdiamond, Holeportals). I'd be up to 108 if Mistem Whipgleam (luckily not one of my married/lovers) hadn't been dehydrated to death by the negligence of dumbass dwarves who forgot to refill his prison cell's booze stockpile.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2162 2163 [2164] 2165 2166 ... 3835