Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2163 2164 [2165] 2166 2167 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787639 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32460 on: January 25, 2014, 01:31:05 pm »

No new births in the time I wasn't paying attention, but since the last time I posted here I'm up to 107 beards and 3 new marriages (Abyssink, Twinklingdiamond, Holeportals).

Are you matchmaking or did the marriages just happen?

I'd be up to 108 if Mistem Whipgleam (luckily not one of my married/lovers) hadn't been dehydrated to death by the negligence of dumbass dwarves who forgot to refill his prison cell's booze stockpile.

I had trouble keeping my jail stocked until I set my main booze stockpile to give to the jail one.  That guaranteed that the smaller jail stockpile filled up first and stayed that way.

Relicshield, pop. 153, Late Summer of 350 (Year 99)

To the dwarves' surprise, the humans of the Tattooed Confederacy arrived with a caravan, rather than an army.  Usually quick to play the blame game, the humans actually understood that the slaughter of their merchants last year by goblins was no fault of the dwarves.  Will wonders never cease!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32461 on: January 25, 2014, 01:48:25 pm »

No new births in the time I wasn't paying attention, but since the last time I posted here I'm up to 107 beards and 3 new marriages (Abyssink, Twinklingdiamond, Holeportals).

Are you matchmaking or did the marriages just happen?

Just happened. The bratlings spend 12 years in close proximity to one another so they're most of the marriages I've been getting and I only have 1 new lineage (Lockhachet); I think I will do some matchmaking, though.

I'd be up to 108 if Mistem Whipgleam (luckily not one of my married/lovers) hadn't been dehydrated to death by the negligence of dumbass dwarves who forgot to refill his prison cell's booze stockpile.

I had trouble keeping my jail stocked until I set my main booze stockpile to give to the jail one.  That guaranteed that the smaller jail stockpile filled up first and stayed that way.

Oh, I did that too. Just utter negligence, I suppose.

11th Limestone, and the latest batch of murdered goblins are stinking up the trap line as expected. Also, As Twinklingdiamond was born on 17th Galena, bringing us to 108 beards.

... I think it's matchmaking time, I'm bored.

... Also, I think I need to clean out the surface. Eventually. But I'm down to 38 FPS and 19 when I'm being sieged, so I definitely need to clear out the clutter outdoors.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32462 on: January 25, 2014, 02:06:49 pm »

There is weird things happening in my fort: My waterworks does not pressurize anymore. The water is supposed to go down, then up through a hatch, then through the rest of the system. Now, it does not come up through the hatch when I open it.

It worked before; I have muddy farmland to prove it. But I cannot find any bug reports about broken water pressure. So I'll need to dig up a new intake. With the flying pterodactyl and flying panda beasts nearby, I may finally put my artifact floodgate to good use.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32463 on: January 25, 2014, 02:26:46 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 153, Early Autumn of 350 (Year 99)

Only 2 years after the attack on Cilob Gillhandle, another civilian was ambushed by a foul werelemur.  Luckily there was plenty of help nearby this time for Sakzul Fissuretour, one of the best cooks of Relicshield. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seeing a provider of legendary meals under attack filled the nearby dwarves with rage!  The werelemur didn't stand a chance. 

Bomrek Mergeddiamond, the oldest dwarf of Relicshield, struck the killing blow.  Not bad for a 168 year old!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:29:28 pm by VerdantSF »

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32464 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:52 pm »

3rd Moonstone in Inktrail. We had a siege come down two months ago, with only around 70 goblins, Blizzard Men, and Trolls, so not bad around here. Our citizens were all able to make it inside safely (more like the lever puller waited until the last minute, but hey - we'll take what we can get!), with the exception of a turkey and poult that had flown to the top of the wall around their pasture. Still, given that we have 580 livestock, we made it out relatively unscathed.

Our fortress design has continued to impress, although we may have to come up with a way to safely let out the human merchants that are loading up their wagons at the moment. They might want to leave through the drwabridge at some point here before the goblins are gone. We have three pastures and outdoor farming all walled in, and the entrance to our fortress and our trade depot in between them. The drawbridge is surrounded with crossbow-only weapon traps, and they took out almost 10 gobbos, trolls, and Blizzard men. Kind of mesmerizing to watch them all slip in and out of consciousness. We didn't even have to test our second and third lines of defense - the stone traps around the trade depot's sides and our fortress entrance ramp as second line, or the non-projectile weapon trap lines alternated with upright spear/spikes surrounding our up ramp out.

Productivity remains high, with 0 idlers. Most are probably hauling useless crap wonderful items to their designated storage stockpiles, but hey - idle hands are Armok's workshop!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32465 on: January 25, 2014, 04:39:05 pm »

Laborfords
1st Granite, 225

Alath was an expert Strand Extractor who sadly never got the chance to touch that beautiful blue metal in this fortress. Her eldest living daughter, Zon, is the new matriarch of Utteredinks and 20 years of age. Alath died at the age of 157, two years after her husband Rigoth Shipdawned who died at 156. She leaves behind 19 dwarves who carry her name.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32466 on: January 25, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »

Alath died at the age of 157, two years after her husband Rigoth Shipdawned who died at 156. She leaves behind 19 dwarves who carry her name.

That is quite a legacy!  It's too bad re: never getting her hands on the blue stuff :(.

Relicshield, Pop. 152, Late Autumn of 350 (Year 99)

Tragedy struck the Channeltree family with the death of Nil, the youngest daughter of Relicshield's Captain of the Guard and most experienced cook, Urdim. 

Nil and her older brother, Morul, were caught outside by trolls during a siege.  Morul would have died, too, if not for the help of fellow reservists before the arrival of the fortress's elite troops. 

Unfortunately, his wounds were quite grievous and his attending medic, Sarvesh Channelelder, informed Morul that he would never walk again :(

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32467 on: January 25, 2014, 05:01:58 pm »

Alath died at the age of 157, two years after her husband Rigoth Shipdawned who died at 156. She leaves behind 19 dwarves who carry her name.

That is quite a legacy!  It's too bad re: never getting her hands on the blue stuff :(.

I have the blue stuff in my fort and all, I just can't be bothered to dig deeper. I have plenty of room for a checkerboard, but I don't want to sacrifice anybody to lure the clowns up...

I also have 2 candy canes, so it's a 50-50 chance I'm even going to get attacked.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32468 on: January 25, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »

Smooth and carve fortifications into the raw adamantine before you mine it. That way if you unleash the welcoming party of demons, they won't be able to leave the spire. If you act fast enough, the miners who discover the demons should be able to escape before getting hit by fireballs or poisonous spit or whatever.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32469 on: January 25, 2014, 05:33:57 pm »

My biggest problem with the blue stuff is the potential fps hit that happens even if the clowns can't get to you.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32470 on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:09 pm »

I never noticed any significant drop in FPS when breaching Hell, and my computer is absolute shit.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32471 on: January 25, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »

I'm paranoid about fps, so when I heard about this bug, which remains open, I decided to stay far away from the HFS.  If the hit really isn't all that bad, maybe I'll play a game of HFS checkers one day :).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32472 on: January 25, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »

If you have a lengthy tube of the blue stuff, you can usually harvest quite a lot completely unmolested by careful mining - the delicious chewy centre is a 2x2 "hollow", contained within a seemingly unbroken 4x4 block, continuous over all levels - i.e. it _has_ to share at least one tile's x:y coordinates with the core one level above and below. I regularly dig most "outer" tiles of a tube over ten to forty z-levels without a single containment breach.

Breaching the inner tube reveals much of the actual layout, so you see where the hollow area ends and where the "safe to mine" tiles are on levels where the exact position of the core was ambiguous. And as MrWillsauce says, fortifications allow scouting the tube without having to deal with a clown rush.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32473 on: January 25, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »

I once had four candy spires in one 2x2 embark plot. I got really bored before all of it could be processed, and decided to breach the spire where the demons were trapped... but not before arming as almost everybody in the fortress with an adamantine battleaxe (two of which were artifacts) and stationing them right at the breach. I think they even managed to kill one or two demons before they all died horribly. That place was a lot of fun to explore in adventurer mode.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32474 on: January 25, 2014, 06:34:27 pm »

Whipnuts, Autumn 204

The first 2 migrant waves have turned up. First was a veteran couple of the wars of 69-131 when Logem Pagespattered led the Muscular Hatchet to conquest after conquest over the local goblins.

(But Logem profaned and became a vampire and was driven away, and the kingdom never recovered from the fall of its hero. Defeat followed defeat, and the king was struck down by a dwarven traitor. The new queen appointed a goblin to command of the army. The elves won a short but bloody war. 2000 dwarves died while failing to take Devilseduced from 100 goblins. The royalty locked themselves away in the mountainhomes, ignoring the disaster on the front lines.)

Nish was abducted by goblins but escaped. Their son was also abducted by goblins but rescued 3 years later when the goblin town was conquered. They have 16 goblin and 4 troll kills between them. Safe to say they probably don't like goblins much. Nish can semi-retire into hunting and bookkeeping while Ast will lead the future swordsdwarf squad.

Of the next wave, Kivish is another old-timer veteran of many wars. She just lost her husband 2 years ago at Devilseduced - to an abducted human. They were evidently too busy killing goblins to have children during their 115-year marriage. She has 11 kills.

The other couple are unremarkable, they are young and have one child and a little combat experience.

Whipnuts is growing slowly, located on the edge of a forest deep in the goblin desert territory. Above-ground constructions will taunt the goblins to attack, where they'll be slaughtered on the surface as much as possible to set an example. Hopefully no traps will be needed, though I will build a large water cistern on a retracting bridge over the entranceway for emergencies. So far I've dug out some farms and workshops, a trade entrance, breached the first cavern, and built the first layer of the first tower. Working on getting the first 2 sets of bronze armour finished so I can have a hammer/mace squad training by the time the caravan arrives. No iron ores or coal or tin in the embark so I'm stuck with copper, trade, and the huge load of coal and cassiterite I brought along.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Pages: 1 ... 2163 2164 [2165] 2166 2167 ... 3835