Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2182 2183 [2184] 2185 2186 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862583 times)

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32745 on: February 01, 2014, 05:23:14 am »

Just watched one of Heavensgorge's original 7 take a nap while hunting and about 2 seconds later have his head removed by a giant wolverine.

No problem though as a Master Hunter/Marksdwarf turned up next migrant wave (my first ever non-vampire highly skilled marksdwarf immigrant). Somehow he's managed to achieve this without a single kill, but casually took down a giant wombat on the way into the fort. Should be useful in keeping the keas away but I might have to be sparing with hunting orders if they're going to keep taking naps outside.

Also the first time I've seen the "lost an annoying acquaintance to tragedy" thought - I didn't know dwarves could dislike each other!
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32746 on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:22 am »

Also the first time I've seen the "lost an annoying acquaintance to tragedy" thought - I didn't know dwarves could dislike each other!

Heheh, yup!  It doesn't even have to be mutual.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32747 on: February 01, 2014, 05:41:07 am »

Whitemountains:

Instead of carrying on with the project, i spent a year fiddling with the fort. Built two statue gardens, one for the general public and one for the duchess (full of statues of herself, but also a few of her predecessors in the mayoral position being thrown out of office). She kindly repaid the attention showered on her by mandating more traction benches. Got them all done, although once i was caught up on other matters and only re-checked when the mandate indicator was already in the red. I tend to drag my feet with my produciton mandates; five benches per year is acceptable, but if i make them too promptly, i'll get another batch ordered every month at least.

Several children grew up to become peasants. I checked their skills, and one hadn't mooded yet. Set her up to make two mechanisms, and what do you think - "Urist McPeasant cancels make mechanism: catching a bullshit kiddy mood." It was a bone trumpet, so at least a bit of a nice curiosity, but both artefact and skill are beyond useless for me and it's especially galling that the mood interrupted her trying to get the requisite experience for a _desirable_ mood.

The bowdwarf and his sparring partner are getting along alright, since i set the partner back to sword use, they're actually back to occasional sparring amidst the ton of useless demonstrations. I guess having a dwarf with bad focus and analytical abilities doesn't help much with the teaching. The bowdwarf of course almost never uses his sword in sparring, only his (-<-bronze bow->-). He's a legendary shooter and has finally picked up a level or two in dodging and shield use, though.

The main effort of the year was cutting down the animal population a bit - phased dogs out of military use, switched from goats to mountain goats, trained a bunch of grizzlies and cheetahs for war and slaughtered many of the rest. The backup bowyer's up at professional just from this batch, ~3000 prepared meals were given to caravans and 4500 remain on hand - after several hundred meat rotted from not getting shifted fast enough. Animal population's down below 300 for now, from 370ish.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32748 on: February 01, 2014, 05:52:20 am »

Laborfords
Timber 232

Spoiler: I'M DOOOOOOOOOONE (click to show/hide)

It's hard to tell because of the color, but I did do everyone with a pink background too. It took some slab engraving to get their death dates, but everyone crossed out is dead and their comment is formatted like As Busttemples'. Everyone alive just has their birth year.

Also, I'm in the middle of a human siege. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Edit: Verdant, what's your romance suite layout? I want to use it.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32749 on: February 01, 2014, 05:55:05 am »

~Graniteechoes~

Migrants are explicitly ignoring the population cap of 150. Children are ignoring the absolute cap of 10.
I only planned my fort for 150 dwarves.

Preparing atom smasher.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32750 on: February 01, 2014, 06:13:26 am »

Heheh, yup!  It doesn't even have to be mutual.

Interesting.. do you know if it's derived from personality clashes or is it random?

Also I found this combat sequence amusing

Edit: 7 Giant Keas were driven off at the cost of the expedition leader's hand. Moldath likes cats, owns 6 of them, and they're all currently bringing him dead lizards while he sleeps it off in hospital. Probably over half the fortresses refuse hauling is just from Moldath's cats. I wonder if he'd notice them being butchered while he's in a coma?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:56:56 am by fortydayweekend »
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32751 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:28 am »

Edit: Verdant, what's your romance suite layout? I want to use it.

It's a burrow that covers two 3x3 rooms.  One is a bedroom, and the other is the dining room.  The small size is necessary to keep the potential couple in close proximity at all times, so boost the value with artifacts.  Small stockpiles of food and drink are linked to take from the main dining hall, so they're always full.  Relieve the couple of all duties, but keep them in an inactive military squad so that they wear non-degrading armor and are thus safe from clothing moods.  Depending on their personalities and how their sleep schedules mesh, they should be married within a few months.

Relicshield, pop. 139, Late Winter of 354 (Year 103)

The citizens of the Mountainhome were shocked and dismayed when news spread of Captain Urdim Channeltree falling in battle while defending the western trade tunnel.

Urdim Channeltree migrated to the fortress in 253, 2 years after it was founded.  He was appointed to the position of Sheriff in 255 when he was only 26 years old.  He was then promoted to Captain of the Guard in 269 at the age of 40.  With 99 years of service in law enforcement, Urdim was well-respected by all. 

Upholding the law was only one of Urdim's passions.  He also had a legendary flair for cooking.  When he wasn't busy bringing criminals to justice, he could be found in the kitchens, busily churning out masterful meals with blazing speed.  Urdim, late patriarch of the Channeltrees, will be sorely missed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:35:17 am by VerdantSF »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32752 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35:46 am »

Laborfords
17th Obsidian, 232

A simple bedroom-and-dining apartment has been constructed for the first and simplest matchmaking exercise.

The miner Melbil Gulfchannel, 82 years old, is the only living founder who is single. There is only one lady dwarf in his age range: one 86-year-old brewer Rith Mirroredrooted. Either they'll marry or they'll hate each other; right now, they barely know each other.

Spoiler: Melbil Gulfchannel (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rith Mirroredrooted (click to show/hide)

They're passing acquaintances right now, but hopefully after a few months stuck in a room together they'll know each other much better.

Edit, 7nd Granite 233:

They're friends and also that's the second beardling born since I dropped the bratcap to 1:1. Eh, I'll probably lose enough to accidents and "accidents" that I'll be able to stay under 200. And I'm not abandoning this fort as FPS-dead until it's in the single digits. (High 20s right now, down to high teens when annoyingly high number of invaders)

Edit2: I have another little section in my spreadsheet for which unpaired adults are age-compatible with which.

Morul Lancetwinkled is one of my legendary cooks.
Fikod Canyongalley might not have use of her legs anymore, but I'd like to have any children of hers carry on her animal training legacy.
Medtob Sprinkledlens is... okay, she's my manager and made a useless wooden crafts object. Whatever, I'd like another lineage.
Rith Mirroredrooted... you guys saw her already. Legendary brewer and woodcutter, so pretty awesome.
And Sarvesh Abyssink and those 9 adult beards who can (probably, there are three Abyssink men there who are her uncles) vy for her hand? Yeah, she's just a peasant. One of 27 peasants and 26 female Abyssink. Immensely replaceable. As long as she vanishes and I slab her.

Edit3, 22nd Slate:

Melbil and Rith are now lovers! YES!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:55:36 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32753 on: February 01, 2014, 10:58:00 am »

I've been diverstifying the 'highest moodable skills' since I got 57 or so carpenter potential moods and 33 or so mechanic moods when I was trying to mass produce base quality training spears and mechanisms for the dodge-me pit. I've gotten the number down to 36 and 22 respectively. May be able to diverstify it further, but I want to get more useful artifacts because I have plenty enough artifact crafts.

Also, the remaining unmooded carpenter out of my three finally got a mood and made a tunnel tube chest. The other two made a bed and a splint.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32754 on: February 01, 2014, 11:08:43 am »

Laborfords
8th Hematite, 233

Melbil and Rith have married. Rith is now a Matriarch, although we're not going to get a native Mirroredrooted until... probably 246, as that's the year after the year the beards born in 233 will grow up. I've put the lovers Kadol Wheelscraped and Kumil Strappingtraded in the two-person suite so they can get married already.

Edit, Galena: I should really sleep, I'm adding dead dwarves to the "children" and "unpaired adults" columns in my spreadsheet and getting emotional
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:12:32 pm by Lielac »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32755 on: February 01, 2014, 01:44:19 pm »

Edit, Galena: I should really sleep, I'm adding dead dwarves to the "children" and "unpaired adults" columns in my spreadsheet and getting emotional
I don't feel anything when my dwarves die. Am I a soulless monster?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32756 on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »

Nah, you simply gained the "Doesn't really care about anything anymore" trait.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32757 on: February 01, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »

Since the caverns in this 46 year old fort are absolutely packed with trees, I decided to use DFhacks immolate to do what in essence is a forest fire, cleaning the old growths and making room for new.

One of my marksdwarves did get trapped in the first cavern level and died from the fire and the command apparently immolated the underwater trees, so the water in the caverns is filling back up, causing some lag. Hopefully the dwarves get the dead guys stuff before 'low tide' is over.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:20:59 pm by smjjames »

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32758 on: February 01, 2014, 03:17:48 pm »

Probably not, it's hilarious when the less important beards die. Although I got quite sad when I accidentally cooked my favorite miner. And her husband.
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32759 on: February 01, 2014, 03:28:02 pm »

Relicshield, pop. 139, Mid-Spring of 355 (Year 104)

Catten Workmyth, Urdim's deputy for many decades, was the first choice for taking the reins of the Fortress Guard.  However, at 163 years of age, Catten politely declined.    Zan II Socketinked was on the short list of other potentials.  Her calm, professional demeanor during the four-way courtship of Edem IV Claspletter didn't win any hearts, but it did impress those looking for an impartial, unemotional upholder of the law.  She accepted the nomination and was bequeathed Urdim Channeltree's treasured artifacts, Stretchedwarnings, a tower-cap crossbow, and Bitetrotted the Dimpled Mine, a suit of alpaca leather armor.
Pages: 1 ... 2182 2183 [2184] 2185 2186 ... 3836