Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2261 2262 [2263] 2264 2265 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5830785 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33930 on: April 03, 2014, 07:48:41 pm »

Since we're all discussing stuff that pertains to modding here, is it possible to make a stone and/or a metal with a fixed temperature, like Nether-cap? I found the raws for that heatproof tree but I'm wondering if it will work if I transplant that tag.

Right, this should probably be moved to somewhere a bit more relevant.

And the answer to your question is yes, just put [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:#] into the inorganic's material definition.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33931 on: April 03, 2014, 07:49:40 pm »

Huh. I'm not sure what it could be, unless the program you are using can't support .lua, or Masterwork's DFHack can't support it.

Well that freakin' sucks

Edit: hmmm... is there any way I can turn the ogres from "intellegent monsters" to a civilization? Could that be the problem?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33932 on: April 03, 2014, 07:51:17 pm »

Okay, thanks.
I'm making a duo (maybe trio) of metals. One will have a set temperature as a metal that clocks in at 9800 Urist and the other a temp of 10200 Urist, with two alloys with maybe a third metal with even more dramatic temperatures.
Does set temperature have an effect on weapons, like a Nether-cap Spear?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33933 on: April 03, 2014, 07:53:52 pm »

Okay, thanks.
I'm making a duo (maybe trio) of metals. One will have a set temperature as a metal that clocks in at 9800 Urist and the other a temp of 10200 Urist, with two alloys with maybe a third metal with even more dramatic temperatures.
Does set temperature have an effect on weapons, like a Nether-cap Spear?

It may. They won't catch fire in some circumstances, because of their fixed temperature. They may also freeze or burn the user, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've heard of weapons made of very warm materials melting their users before though.

Huh. I'm not sure what it could be, unless the program you are using can't support .lua, or Masterwork's DFHack can't support it.

Well that freakin' sucks

Edit: hmmm... is there any way I can turn the ogres from "intellegent monsters" to a civilization? Could that be the problem?

I'm not completely sure of what the problem may be, to be honest. I would think that whether the creature belongs to a civilization or not would be irrelevant to the plug-in, but that's just speculation from me.

EDIT: I just noticed that Masterwork uses DFHack-R4. I'm not quite sure if this makes a difference for the script, but it is at least something to take note of, as not all scripts are compatible between different versions.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:39:39 pm by BlackFlyme »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33934 on: April 03, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »

I guess the weapons will be high risk/high reward then.
Dangerous to use but dangerous to whatever you hurt with it.

SECRET
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33935 on: April 03, 2014, 10:19:40 pm »

City Laborfords, 4th Obsidian 240 - 1st Granite 241; 133 132 131 127 126 124 121 119 117 115 beards, 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 berserker(s); Under Siege

Oh man. I haven't cracked this open in a month. All right, let's see how things are...

So many cranky people in the dining hall. Okay, unpause...

Spoiler: Long post is long. (click to show/hide)

Okay, more spoilered images!

Yes. Yes it is. Have fun checking out the chaos!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33936 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:47 pm »

City Laborfords, 4th Obsidian 240 - 1st Granite 241; 133 132 131 127 126 124 121 119 117 115 beards, 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 berserker(s); Under Siege

Oh man. I haven't cracked this open in a month. All right, let's see how things are...

Whoa... That's freaking insane...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33937 on: April 04, 2014, 12:12:10 am »

Nah, just standard-issue tantrum spiral. I expect to settle around 50-30 dwarves, depending on how many more insanity-proof dwarves get killed.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33938 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:44 am »

Nah, just standard-issue tantrum spiral. I expect to settle around 50-30 dwarves, depending on how many more insanity-proof dwarves get killed.

It took me longer than I'd like to admit that that fort is the same one from your signature :P

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33939 on: April 04, 2014, 12:47:37 am »

-Snipped copious quantities of FUN-

It took me longer than I'd like to admit that that fort is the same one from your signature :P

Perfectly reasonable, really. There isn't one of my standard Titles on that post, and the post was back in January holy crap how long have I been playing this fort?

Earliest post is on 17th January of this year. 'K.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33940 on: April 04, 2014, 03:28:14 am »

I've started construction of a labyrinth, which I intend to toss captives into, filled with traps and eventually some deadly creatures. Since there isn't really a random element to the pathfinding I'll instead add a bunch of pressure plates so the correct path out changes around a lot based on how many captives have been through it and how far they got (the exit will be by the map edge, so if they make it that far they're free to go).

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33941 on: April 04, 2014, 03:39:53 am »

I've started construction of a labyrinth, which I intend to toss captives into, filled with traps and eventually some deadly creatures. Since there isn't really a random element to the pathfinding I'll instead add a bunch of pressure plates so the correct path out changes around a lot based on how many captives have been through it and how far they got (the exit will be by the map edge, so if they make it that far they're free to go).

Ooooooo. That should be deeply entertaining and fun (or FUN) to designate. Floodgates get attacked by building destroyers so you can't really use those, so do hatches, but bridges have a delay and don't work if something big enough is standing on them...

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33942 on: April 04, 2014, 03:58:05 am »

I expect a few "whoops!" moments once I start putting special enemies in. The first version might be a simpler affair that has a linear path that branches, so each piece has a number of possible paths, and then the available path changes _behind_ the current creature.

At least, I don't want to force the creature to run back and forth across the same traps. It should be possible to escape.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33943 on: April 04, 2014, 05:55:48 am »

... (awesomeness edited out for brevity)

That's a cool fort and Fun situation you have there. Do you have a thread/post somewhere telling more about the fort. I'd also be interested in learning how you did you naming scheme with matriarchs etc. And did you have any tricks for getting all the name, married status, genealogy etc. out of the game, or did you just do it by manually going through the citizen list? Just in case I'd do something similar some day...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33944 on: April 04, 2014, 06:41:56 am »

... (awesomeness edited out for brevity)

That's a cool fort and Fun situation you have there. Do you have a thread/post somewhere telling more about the fort. I'd also be interested in learning how you did you naming scheme with matriarchs etc. And did you have any tricks for getting all the name, married status, genealogy etc. out of the game, or did you just do it by manually going through the citizen list? Just in case I'd do something similar some day...

Everything about my fort is in this topic, except the Laborfords map series which is on the DFMA. And I just manually pulled it from the game.

As for naming scheme:

0. I have [NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_ALL] in d_init.
1. I replace dwarves' names with their first name and the English translation of their last name...
1b. BUT. If someone has a mother whose surname I've translated, they get her surname instead. If the child is a female dwarf, any children they have will also acquire that surname as well, because the game-given surname is effectively nonexistent for my purposes.
1c. If there are two dwarves with the name, say, Aban Abyssink, the elder becomes known as Aban Abyssink I and the younger Aban Abyssink II. And so on and so forth, III and IV and V and VI...
2. The eldest living sane female dwarf with a given surname is labeled Matriarch. If this dwarf dies, she has I appended to her name and the next eligible dwarf is labeled Matriarch II. Then Matriarch III, Matriarch IV...
3. Nobody changes their name upon marriage. If Aban Abyssink I is a male dwarf and he marries Mistem Twinklingdiamond III, he retains his name; his children are simply Twinklingdiamond like their mother.

Pages: 1 ... 2261 2262 [2263] 2264 2265 ... 3836