Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2272 2273 [2274] 2275 2276 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5841532 times)

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34095 on: April 11, 2014, 08:21:47 am »

I'll spend some time looking at the thoughts and personalities of all the suspects, then bury the most likely culprit alive. Verification is for sissies.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34096 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:35 am »

Outpost: Udirnar, The Black Oblivion
Year 2, 22 dwarves.

Well, one year, one artifact, one bone-shattering megabeast.

My final fort will be above-ground, I've decided. Plans are being sketched for the full thing.

The Black Oblivion's first artifact was a mechanism, which was created whilst the Skythe was dormant. It halved the time required to set up the traps. Its creator, Tosid Fencedream, has been granted the title of High Mechanic.

I've decided to dorf myself, taking over the body of Vakist Buriedfences, the fortress' only animal trainer.

The (war!) Skythe, Sodol Meltedunions the Glittering Sculptures, is currently at a (Semi-Wild) state, but that doesn't stop her from frolicking with Vakist me around the fortress.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34097 on: April 11, 2014, 09:10:35 am »

If he wanted blocks I think he would have said so.

There's a list here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Strange_mood

Maybe you just didn't have enough of something he wanted?

Well, I checked and it looks like he really needed plain rocks. However, I had a Quantum Stockpile of literally any kind of rock I currently found on the map, but he didn't take any... He must've wanted something more specific.

Oh well, it's still my fault. I killed a dwarf... :(

I feel so elfish...
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34098 on: April 11, 2014, 09:30:50 am »

Very unusual aquifer behavior.

This is a straight up cheating fort that I am doing to try out various megaproject ideas, so when I hit the aquifer, I used drainaquifer from DFHack to eliminate it.

However, it seems there is some bizarre activity going on. Despite having the aquifer flag removed, some parts still spawn liquid.  Non-plussed by this, I decided to just make the area into a cistern network.

But then things got even stranger.

Some of the cisterns I dug can't be completely filled. It looks like the "drain one aquifer into another" mechanic, but only in certain cisterns in the network. This does not make sense though, as the whole map has had the aquifer flags expunged. This clearly is some kind of bug.

Personally though, I kinda suspect memory corruption as the culprit-- I have also been seeing random channel and dig designations spontaneously appear in odd places where I did not place them.

This is on my crappy laptop (its a craptop. ;)), and I am currently away from home, but when I get back I intend to run memtest on it aggressively to rule out faulty ram modules.

Still, the very unusual nature of this result is interesting.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34099 on: April 11, 2014, 09:56:22 am »

Update on Arrowbodices:

This is truly an accursed hole in the ground.  I don't think I should have ever reclaimed this; it should have been left to the grasshopper and thrips men.

There is no water.  And when I say no water, I mean NO WATER.  Not on the surface; not in the caverns.  Dfhack claims there is some water somewhere, but damned if I can find it.  Getting a non-self-repairing injury is a death sentence.

There are (naturally enough, given the water situation) not many trees.  And by not many, I would estimate about 40 across the whole map at any given moment, even assuming my woodcutter could go out into the trackless wastes to cut down a cactus and make it back without five goblins in his pants with him.  I spent the first three years awash in iron ore with no way to smelt.  To rub salt in the (unwashed, no water) wound, 25 levels down I found a layer with gold and emeralds.

I spent all of year 4 running for the basement and trotting through the bottom caverns looking for magma.  No life down there; limited fungal trees; no magma.  Hm.  I started exploratory mining.  In the NW quarter of the map, I *finally* found magma... the only magma in the whole map is in a 40-across vertical magma pipe, leading up to level 105 before topping out.  I now finally have functional magma forges at the cost of a decent miner who apparently failed his dodge roll with a natural 1 (magma faceplant).

Everything that can run, walk, hop or fly is attacking this fort.  I've had grasshopper men stealing stuff; thrips men scaring my dwarves; kobolds ranging from Jimmy Da K to Grand Master Thieves and Bowmen; Goblins riding everything but war elephants; minotaurs; were-lizards; you name it.  To add that certain frisson, none of the dwarves who show up with my migrants seem to have much in the way of military skills (highest rank: Competent) and until I got the forges set up, no way to equip the ones who did.

I wish there was a way to carve signs, because the motto of this fort is "Arrowbodices: Where Bad Ideas Turn Even Worse the Second Time Around".
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34100 on: April 11, 2014, 01:01:56 pm »

Ropeclashes, founded by The Hazy Two-Letter of The Crazy MerchantsThe Noble Craft.
Damnit, seems like I ended up picking the wrong civ after all. I guess I read wrong which one was highlighted... oh well, the name is cool albeit boring, now I just have a deity-of-muck worshipping monarch.

Setting up temporary initial workshops to make picks, axes, barrels, butcher, tan and cook the pack animals (M water buffalo, M horse) etc.

This was my earlier post about the embark location, and here's a stonesense screenshot of the volcano-top I've embarked on:

The image is taken from the northwest. I'm going to build my entrance and camp just down and right from the volcano, on the last flat level. Maybe expand the flat area by digging away some of the white sand from the upper levels... That pit just down (NW) from the volcano is annoying me, I think I'll fill it with cast obsidian at some point for more flat land.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34101 on: April 11, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »

Haha, ouch!

Yeah, instead of assigning war animals to important dwarves I just pasture them near the edges of the map, to serve both as early warning of ambushes and distractions.

I actually used them in this manner as well. I had a veritable dogsplosion going on. I never realized just how attached dwarves are to their pets. They can lose one or two and be alright but when you start losing more than that, along with friends dying, things get ugly fast. From here on out I will have a new policy of one pet per customer.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34102 on: April 11, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »

Back from playing in quite a while, I lost both of my starting miners to the magma sea. What's more, they were building a magma forge so that I would be able to make more picks. I thought that my dwarf would stand away from the channel he was digging!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34103 on: April 11, 2014, 04:36:34 pm »

Dwarves aren't the brightest lightbulbs.
Heck, in a box of lightbulbs, they're a potato.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34104 on: April 11, 2014, 05:08:18 pm »

Dwarves aren't the brightest lightbulbs.
Heck, in a box of lightbulbs, they're a potato.

Pretty sure you can get a light bulb working with potatoes though.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34105 on: April 11, 2014, 05:12:52 pm »

Not if you brew it.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34106 on: April 11, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »

Not if you brew it.

I wasn't talking about them being brewed potatoes. Also he just said potatoes, no adjectives.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #34107 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:38 pm »

Not if you brew it.

I wasn't talking about them being brewed potatoes. Also he just said potatoes, no adjectives.
If a dwarf was a potato, he'd probably brew himself for the vodka.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34108 on: April 11, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »

In Silentthunders, we pride ourselves on only breeding the strongest of pigs. So it is with great pleasure now that with 1 in 8 pigs being slaughtered till only the biggest, strongest and fattest pigs remained, Silentthunders has had its first pig born both gigantic and bristling with incredible muscles. Good for you pig! Good for you. We shan't eat you, you are the future.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34109 on: April 11, 2014, 07:01:55 pm »

I've burned down around 1/4 of the surface. plans have been made to burn the rest down, but dragonfire's kinda hot. I'm worried it might destroy my roads.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2272 2273 [2274] 2275 2276 ... 3836