Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2273 2274 [2275] 2276 2277 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788190 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34110 on: April 11, 2014, 07:17:51 pm »

I've burned down around 1/4 of the surface. plans have been made to burn the rest down, but dragonfire's kinda hot. I'm worried it might destroy my roads.

Well, we'll see how far this fire spreads, since with this climate I'll probably get snow as soon as autumn arrives but I just breached the magma tube so I could move my magma industries to the same z-level as the rest of my camp, and to melt the pool which is only unfrozen for 20 days in the summer. The channel I dug for the magma had grass in it, and because they were grassy ramps, I've set the surface on fire.

I think I got all my dwarves inside, and the pasture has been deleted to let the animals flee freely, but I lost the strawberries I had planted and will probably lose most of the shrubs on the surface. My buckets, logs, barrels, and a bunch of coke bars (from lignite I embarked with) were also outside. It seems the coke bars didn't ignite, but I did lose just about everything wooden that was left outside, plus the 2 bone crossbows I had made from the pack animals are now XXcrossbowsXX.

Classic dwarf fortress moment.

edit: it seems the animal caretraker (tracker 6, hammerdwarf 3, was in first migration wave) went missing. He was the one who did the tube breach, but I saw him get out safely from that. I'm going to chalk this down to the bloodthirsty volcano god demanding it's sacrifice one way or another.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34111 on: April 11, 2014, 07:41:24 pm »

Built a short circuit to verify some impulse ramp behaviours. Nothing really new apart from a peculiar thing with ramps on track corners - if the cart's going at less than derail speed, they reliably cause diagonal movement, i.e.
S->N track - corner going west and _on_ the corner an impulse ramp (can be EW or NW, no difference) - > cart goes diagonally NW. That's interesting, because when a cart going S->N goes _down_ a ramp with EW track (connecting to further westward track), the cart changes to westward course without misbehaving. On this flat track, the cart would stop one or two tiles west of the ramp, because the diagonal movement smacked it into the wall and forced it to stop (easily confirmed by digging out a bit of wall to give space for diagonal movement).

Other than that, just the usual:
Ramp E ("dead end", only wall)
Ramp N or S ("dead end", only floor)
Ramp EW (both walls, no floor)
Ramp NSE (one wall, two floors)

were all treated like plain floor. No surprise there, they're all nonfunctional ramps. It was still somewhat interesting to see that the time on the individual false ramps was absolutely unchanged from the time otherwise spent on flat track - apparently, the program itself really treats them as floor, not ramp.

A NEW ramp (both walls, one floor)
accelerated the cart normally, as per usual.

So impulse ramps have the same rules as all other ramps - if the ramp has any up and exactly one down connection, it accelerates, otherwise it's non-ramp. As i said, no real surprises, but with the very uniform speeds on a flat cycle, it was easier to verify than with actual level-changes.

I wonder if there'd be any interest in another Minecart Physics thread, this time not just crunching numbers but more looking at behaviour in actual applications, with an eye out for the weirder cases.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34112 on: April 11, 2014, 07:47:02 pm »

116 people currently residing in my fortress. One mayor and one countess. Waiting for the monarch; the monarch shall join us and will reside far deeper than everyone else.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #34113 on: April 11, 2014, 07:53:16 pm »

I'm dealing with an extreme lack of FUN things and waves of migrants.  I'm thinking about starting what could be considered my first "mega"project (as a test to see if I can learn how to build something) and I'm attempting to find the third cavern layer. 

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34114 on: April 11, 2014, 08:01:06 pm »

Oh, and quick question - I am assuming if the game marks your own race with "No Trade" then no migrants will come either?
Just a question, although things like that seem to only occur in extremely hot or cold worlds.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34115 on: April 11, 2014, 08:08:13 pm »

I wasn't talking about them being brewed potatoes. Also he just said potatoes, no adjectives.
If a dwarf was a potato it would be brewed.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34116 on: April 11, 2014, 08:11:58 pm »

Oh, and quick question - I am assuming if the game marks your own race with "No Trade" then no migrants will come either?
Just a question, although things like that seem to only occur in extremely hot or cold worlds.

I think you would still get the two hard-coded migration waves in the beginning, but other than that you might not get migrants.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34117 on: April 11, 2014, 08:14:46 pm »

Ah, okay.
I guess that makes absurdly cold worlds even harder to colonize.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34118 on: April 11, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »

What you're describing sounds like a dead civilization.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34119 on: April 11, 2014, 08:33:26 pm »

The human filth of Umonbehal, the Great Kingdoms have dared besiege our great city.

Yes we brutally slaughtered the guild representative but he was being a terrible annoyance, trying to push his inferior human crafts on us!

Oh well it is no matter, all the humans died impaled on the pointy ends of adamantine weapons.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34120 on: April 11, 2014, 08:44:45 pm »

The human filth of Umonbehal, the Great Kingdoms have dared besiege our great city.

Yes we brutally slaughtered the guild representative but he was being a terrible annoyance, trying to push his inferior human crafts on us!

Oh well it is no matter, all the humans died impaled on the pointy ends of adamantine weapons.

The humans who siege us come from The Realm of Business.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34121 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:53 am »

Fort #12

Tried to design ballista-themed battle-fortress. Fire lanes too large. Arrow are not prevented from coming it, I wouldn't call it a design flaw if it didn't end with so many dead dwarves. Fort fell on third year. Note to self, never lock six miserable dwarves in a ballista room filled with ballista bolts- they can be thrown. Secondary note, never attempt to forcibly disarm ballista chucking berserkers with dabbling fighters in bone armor.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:11:03 am by CreamyDoughnut »

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34122 on: April 12, 2014, 01:40:44 am »

I may be having an over-growth of plump men with about 60 of them on my first year right now in outpost 'Tan', might just butch half of them and send the rest at the troll coming near the wall outside

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34123 on: April 12, 2014, 03:36:34 am »

Ehendelvieche (Manorsinks, I've replaced the dwarven language file with one generated via DFLang with a file full of german words) is my longest running and most successful fortress till now. It is also kinda cheaty as I use a world with maximum embark points and used dfhack to have 40 starting dwarves.
The mountainhome of my civilization is called "Iddelwurz" which sounds like a garden gnome name.

The starting embark is in a hot climate in the jungle with a major river and a volcano. I genned a few worlds just to get this kind of embark.
First I'd gone crazy with architecture. Any new section I dig out is done differently. Efficiency is not a concern. My brother commented that I am playing dwarves, not bees.
Then I built an obsidian farm. I'm not entirely proficient with dwarven science, so I have one level too much in it, with measuring chambers for water and magma - I didn't realize that the level above the bridge is a measuring chamber in itself until after I built the thing. Avery level in the farmer has a statue garden. On the top level (the two measuring chambers) it has the form of two demons/easter bunnies holding a spear. The second level (above the bridge) is in the form of a demon. Of course the chamber with the bridge is it's maw. The bottom two levels are dwarven faces, again with the innards of the caster as mouths.
After that was done I wanted to start building an obsidian bridge across the river, with towers as support columns but with no entrances on the bridge but only through the riverbed. So I built a ring of pumps on top of the river, but after years of building (as I said, efficiency is not a concern) I had to realize that this didn't work. I removed it again, which did take some time as my previous attempt at removing constructions on top of the river cost me two dwarves.
Now I am building a platform from which to drop magma onto the river, so I can cast the foundations for the towers instead. I am not quite sure how to get rid of the magma in the pipes, though. I am thinking about building a magma destruction chamber below ground with a repeating floodgate to destroy magma and a retracting bridge as entry to drain the pipes when I'm done.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:38:52 am by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34124 on: April 12, 2014, 06:04:59 am »

Arrowbodices update:

I was besieged (shocking, right?) and a group of trolls got inside the walls.  All dwarves immediately implemented [CHICKEN_NO_HEAD] training and ran around crazily.  The military managed to kill off the trolls, including the... TROLL ADMINISTRATOR?  Was he wearing a tie??  What the... I don't... whaaaaa.

Peace was restored after all the troll bits, troll clothes and five or so dead civilians (sigh) were cleaned up.  Until I went to provide some instructions and... wait... green... uh, there is something called a Troll Clerk (!!!) HIDING IN THE MASON'S WORKSHOP.  Going through the production logs, presumably.  So I guess he menaces with spikes of regulation?

I have now survived a Troll Audit.  I feel like I won Dwarf Fortress.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:07:25 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 2273 2274 [2275] 2276 2277 ... 3835