Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2282 2283 [2284] 2285 2286 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5852708 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34245 on: April 18, 2014, 08:25:29 pm »

My latest fort, despite embarking in Savage Wilds, seems to be so far from goblins and kobolds that nothing shows up.  I've killed a few FBs and marsh titans, but the only other faces I see are the humans and dwarven traders.  A land with no goblins, no kobolds, and no elves... small wonder everyone in the fort is ecstatic.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34246 on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:04 pm »

First time I've gotten the "despite the danger" message with migrants. And this is in a fort where I have invaders OFF, with NO FBs, Titans, etc allowed in world gen, and where I'm walling off the caverns (I've only breached the first layer) as fast as I can.

The danger? Things keep slipping in through the unfinished walls. Everything from Trolls to serpent and frog men, to ant people, to Giant Cave Swallows and Giant Bats. I think by now my veteran military is just like "Oh, another Troll? Move aside recruit, let me fix that for you -wham- okay carry on."

It's kinda frustrating because I want to DO things in this fort, like figure out projects and various industries and stuff. But instead I've been surviving while getting the wall (slooooooooooooowly) up.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34247 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:08 pm »

Apparently you can dye adamantium thread.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34248 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:55 pm »

Can you then smelt that into dyed wafers?

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34249 on: April 18, 2014, 10:08:48 pm »

And that's the second mood that's resulted in an artifact coffin. Should I be worried...? o.O

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34250 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:23 pm »

Can you then smelt that into dyed wafers?

I can but it removes the dye.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34251 on: April 19, 2014, 02:55:55 am »

Once, Shootrazors was a burgeoning fortress of 190+ citizens.

Now, it's down to 13. Corpses lie unburied in the halls; clothes are strewn about; blood and bones decorate the walls and floor. Meanwhile, outside, a hundred-strong force of undead lurks. They're only stopped by the drawn-up bridge that serves as the only entrance to the fortress. Only six dwarves are strong and sane enough to keep working: the rest are children.

On the bright side, there's enough food and drink to last the survivors for a long time. The farms and workshops are mostly untouched, so if we pull through this, we can bring the fort back from oblivion.

It's going to be an uphill fight, though. But hey, isn't that the Fun part?

EDIT: I never thought I'd say this, but thank Armok for goblins! A goblin ambush just appeared and fought the undead hordes. They were wiped out, but their ferocity convinced the necromancers to leave. The siege is broken! We are victorious!

Oh, wait, there's still a lot of undead outside.

Shit.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:17:18 am by Visus Draconis »
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34252 on: April 19, 2014, 04:39:53 am »

So Masterwork, and I get a good fortress going. Even if I missed the caravan the first year, and the second year I had so damn many crafts to bring to the depot that we got maybe 60% of the way through before they left. (No elves or anyone else--so I have had zero trading partners >.< ) My Broker was too busy hauling items to the depot to stop and, you know, trade.

Still, things are going good. Got plenty of copper, plenty of Nickel for metal crafting, hollowing out a new underground farm section......

when a White Tigerman siege appears. Now, I've been meaning to put up a simple door that would seal off the fortress, but I kept putting it off.

Not much armor to speak of, and I only casually started training my weaponsmith. On the other hand, I have a dozen or so war animals, including around 4 drakes.

Needless to say, the White Tigermen tore through my ranks like tissue paper.

..........now on my Reclaim my top priority will have to be coffins and/or slabs.

Fun!

I'm a little annoyed because I had TWO Arcane guild dwarfs that I never had a chance to play around with, since I have only a basic grasp on both Masterwork and DF itself.

Welp, it's gonna take a couple years to get things back in order. At least I have plenty of seeds and plants.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:36:39 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34253 on: April 19, 2014, 08:22:53 am »

I have a dozen or so war animals, including around 4 drakes.
Drakes are actually male ducks, not some sort of dragon, so they wouldn't be of much use in a fight...

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34254 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:17 am »

I think in Masterwork, they are considerably more deadly than ducks.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #34255 on: April 19, 2014, 10:15:43 am »

I think in Masterwork, they are considerably more deadly than ducks.
I dunno, remember that duck in Deathgate that killed two demons?

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34256 on: April 19, 2014, 01:40:29 pm »

I don't think they're ducks in Masterwork. Drakes have often given me problems, especially when I made the mistake of dismissing them as simply male waterfowl.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34257 on: April 19, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »

Somehow, a massive fire broke out in the first cavern.
The strange part is that only the third cavern has had vegetation, and part of the second gained vegetation after a small fire.
Stuff shall grow!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34258 on: April 19, 2014, 05:25:02 pm »

very few things can cause a cavern fire. I predict that a flame based FB came to your fort when you didn't notice.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34259 on: April 19, 2014, 05:36:38 pm »

Maybe it was a fire imp? That's happened to me before.

The walls are finally almost up in the caverns, and I've stopped getting beasties (not FBs, just normal bat, swallow, serpentfolk and troll type beasties) come through the cracks. Although I did get three metal wraiths... That was odd. At least they went down without too much trouble. And I'm managing to keep the ghost population under control.

And I have a zillion foodstuffs and drink, though sadly I lost my legendary cook, Sewer Ceilingsect. (I have been unable to turn off the "names in English" feature, but I don't mind too much because it amuses me. Once I had a dwarf named Plague Floorpet. This inspired my partner and I to dub my stuffed sheep as the "floor-pet," saying "Don't plague the floorpet! D:".)
Pages: 1 ... 2282 2283 [2284] 2285 2286 ... 3836