Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2357 2358 [2359] 2360 2361 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859246 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35370 on: July 07, 2014, 09:04:32 am »

Trying to find out how long "Wood Dwarves" can survive for. Basically, by "Wood Dwarves", I mean living off wood. Trading for stone and metal is okay though. Maybe I'll try making overland huts later (If I ever find out how to make a ceiling)
Indefinitely. Strictly above ground forts are a popular challenge.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35371 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26:27 am »

Trying to find out how long "Wood Dwarves" can survive for. Basically, by "Wood Dwarves", I mean living off wood. Trading for stone and metal is okay though. Maybe I'll try making overland huts later (If I ever find out how to make a ceiling)
Indefinitely. Strictly above ground forts are a popular challenge.
Ooh, then I'm going to have fun with this.  :)
I still need to find out how to make above ground ceilings though.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #35372 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:22 am »

(If I ever find out how to make a ceiling)

Ramp up the outside side of a wall, then floors everywhere.

Or constructed up-steps anywhere inside the room, with down-steps directly above. Of course, flyers can then get in, but enemies cannot get on.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35373 on: July 07, 2014, 09:48:15 am »

Ah, okay! That makes sense. Thanks!

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35374 on: July 07, 2014, 10:00:30 am »

(If I ever find out how to make a ceiling)
Ramp up the outside side of a wall, then floors everywhere.
Or constructed up-steps anywhere inside the room, with down-steps directly above. Of course, flyers can then get in, but enemies cannot get on.

I use ramps so I can deconstruct them without stranding someone on the roof.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35375 on: July 07, 2014, 10:02:43 am »

I too prefer to temporarily ramp up and then remove the ramp once I am floored over if I'm not going to be building additional levels. But if I am going to build an additional floor I do as Arx suggested.

@Walrusking: I would suggest either switching to clay/glass, bone or cloth for trade goods, if you don't go prepared food, over wood. Wood has plenty of other uses and has a much lower regrowth rate. Clay and glass are unlimited but do require fuel so that can be an issue. Bone is limited by how many animals you slaughter a year and their yields. Cloth is potentially unlimited but it requires more processing. If you don't mind trading food, prepared meals are basically or will become a game breaking trade good.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35376 on: July 07, 2014, 11:50:22 am »

Okay, weirdest announcement ever. I'm trying to figure this out:
Naked mole dog has given birth to naked mole dog puppy.

It means that there are a pack of wild mole dogs staying on your map somewhere and one has given birth. Don't be surprised though, I've had it happen with wild bugbats and caged wild animals before.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35377 on: July 07, 2014, 07:34:58 pm »

Muddlebanner the Cheese of Sadness, a leather instrument decorated with leather and encircled with bands of cloth menacing with spikes of leather. I choose to believe it is a bagpipe.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35378 on: July 07, 2014, 10:44:57 pm »

Okay, weirdest announcement ever. I'm trying to figure this out:
Naked mole dog has given birth to naked mole dog puppy.

It means that there are a pack of wild mole dogs staying on your map somewhere and one has given birth. Don't be surprised though, I've had it happen with wild bugbats and caged wild animals before.

That's why I'm confused...I've never had announcements about non-tame animals in my care giving birth. This was a 100% wild (not in view) naked mole dog who gave birth, and it showed up in green like it was a tame animal. Strange!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35379 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00:24 am »

Diary of Squib Reveredlabors, Reclamation And Exploration Effort of Fortress Spiritnets

We arrived on the 14th or 15th of Granite. Residents of Spiritnets had cleared out for unknown reasons, and we have been sent to investigate and reclaim.

Trame orders us armed and armoured, while he assembles shields made from Mountainhall Oak. I have taken up a sword, Hyte a Mace, and Exi an axe. We all bear simple and cheap equipment, as is fitting a mere exploratory crew: Copper mail and helms, as well as a trio of hounds to accompany us. Trame, Behem, and Mar are also prepared to fight if need be. Dett is not, having come to mend our wounds and nothing else.

Initial examination showed many young acacias dotting the land, as well as a large and unfinished stone edifice containing passage deeper underground and a built trade depot. Further inspection revealed the stone to be Lignite. What a waste. Exi prepares our dogs by showing them proper clawing and biting technique; Trame will assign us one each before we descend. Initial peeks below suggest tetrahedrite is plentiful as well.

First floor appears to be residential blocks, all strangely devoid of furnishing or signs of previous occupation. The layout is confusing, but no less so than the well established halls back home.

Below this appear to be a massive industrial wing, 78 fuel-powered forges in total. Below that are two floors of large and evidently purposeless rooms, no doubt meant as meeting places or storage. Another wing of residencies also occupies the floor below the forges.

At the bottom of Spiritnets, are many magma smelters. This made the whole group concerned: Why would such a promising locale be abandoned? There's no signs of previous occupation beyond forges and statues, and the resources of lignite, tetrahedrite, and gold are plentiful, as well as magma facilities having been built! Clearly something quite terrible befell this place. The Turquoise Ships will explore the fortress entirely, and find any potential causes.

-

Alright, So I'm reclaiming a place as my first v.40 activity and so far? Really surprised by how well set-up it is equipment-wise! I'm paranoid as all hell though because this place being so empty and lacking in corpses of whatever, abandoned items, or slain soldiers... It's genuinely unnerving. And anyone who can guess where my dorfs got their names gets an e-cookie and a dorf named after them. The place is by and large explored, with there being ample, if small, apartments and many forges and smelters readily available. There's also statues everywhere in some rooms.

Layout-wise worldgen forts are confusing, but no more than dungeons and sewers in human cities would be, and they're clearly divided between residential and industrial areas, with potentially more metalworking equipment left behind than a moderately sized populous could possibly make use of unless the entire fortress population had been devoted to the craft.

Trees come down more or less neatly, though there's significant risk of being killed by falling wood from larger trees (Trame had narrowly avoided getting struck by a log from an upper part of the tree at the time of this writing,) and so far happily makes up for the reduced number of trees with sheer output of logs per felled tree.

Wish these dwarves luck in reclaiming Spiritnets for all of dwarfkind. They'll almost assuredly need it.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35380 on: July 08, 2014, 01:21:15 am »

I'm trying to figure out what file are the key bindings stored ( I have VERY customized keybindings ) so I can move them to the new version.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #35381 on: July 08, 2014, 02:26:20 am »

I'm trying to figure out what file are the key bindings stored ( I have VERY customized keybindings ) so I can move them to the new version.
data/init/interface.txt; be warned that it'll probably be easier and safer to just edit the ones in the new release directly, since there are many new actions with new keybinds.
くコ:彡

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #35382 on: July 08, 2014, 03:15:10 am »

Many green glass discs, thanks to many logs.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #35383 on: July 08, 2014, 04:42:28 am »

I am brewing blueberry wine. This makes me happy. :D :D :D
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35384 on: July 08, 2014, 06:06:56 am »

data/init/interface.txt; be warned that it'll probably be easier and safer to just edit the ones in the new release directly, since there are many new actions with new keybinds.
You know, ironically I finally found that out myself shortly after posting. Yeah, I just set up a couple basic commands and so far having fun with chopping logs. It's also cool seeing 40 something logs falling on the ground. I can imagine my dwelves ( my name for aboveground living dwarves ) yelling TIMBER!
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 2357 2358 [2359] 2360 2361 ... 3836