Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2371 2372 [2373] 2374 2375 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858809 times)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35580 on: July 12, 2014, 05:14:27 pm »

Put your depot in the caverns and see if merchants arrive underground. That would be cool.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35581 on: July 12, 2014, 05:17:26 pm »

My civ is at war with goblins and elves and the only action I've seen is a pack of bandits two years ago. I've been forcing my dwarves to eat next to the fleshless corpses of their enemies to toughen them up and if there's no enemies to fight that's not doing anything, it's just an insane thing I did.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35582 on: July 12, 2014, 06:44:02 pm »

I think he's not referring to speed of consumption, but the overall rate of consumption.

Exactly.  Sorry if I was unclear.  The rate of booze consumption seems to have ticked up, or the rate of production has ticked down.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35583 on: July 12, 2014, 07:04:15 pm »

First wave of migrants in .40.02, 1st dorf is listed as hostile and stuck at map edge. What. Can't tell if all the other migrants are hostile too, because the first dude is blocking everyone else.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35584 on: July 12, 2014, 07:04:46 pm »

Apparently a "Fiend of Steam," has appeared and disappeared.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35585 on: July 12, 2014, 07:08:35 pm »

Two training accidents in the space of a week. Captain Kreia suffered a severe injury to her shield arm, the wound "skidding" along the ground and splitting into gore. This is more likely a permanent injury, but it's been dressed, immobilized, put in a cast and... She basically tied her shield to her spear arm and continued like nothing happened. Militadwarf Merrick suffered a similar injury to his sword arm, and I know this is due to the lack of gauntlets, which is now being remedied (I thought I'd issued enough to avoid such accidents.)

How long to broken bones typically take to heal for a dwarf?

Also, make sure you armor your dwarves properly before letting them train boys and girls. Grapples can be nearly fatal. Which reminds me, I should probably make sure there's enough helmets and caps to go around.

EDIT: I have some good news, "split into gore" injuries are not permanent people. Kreia has regained the use of her left hand.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35586 on: July 12, 2014, 07:27:31 pm »

Two training accidents in the space of a week. Captain Kreia suffered a severe injury to her shield arm, the wound "skidding" along the ground and splitting into gore. This is more likely a permanent injury, but it's been dressed, immobilized, put in a cast and... She basically tied her shield to her spear arm and continued like nothing happened. Militadwarf Merrick suffered a similar injury to his sword arm, and I know this is due to the lack of gauntlets, which is now being remedied (I thought I'd issued enough to avoid such accidents.)

How long to broken bones typically take to heal for a dwarf?

Also, make sure you armor your dwarves properly before letting them train boys and girls. Grapples can be nearly fatal. Which reminds me, I should probably make sure there's enough helmets and caps to go around.

EDIT: I have some good news, "split into gore" injuries are not permanent people. Kreia has regained the use of her left hand.

Hmm... You don't suppose in the right circumstances a training drill can be turned into an arena fight right?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35587 on: July 12, 2014, 07:31:46 pm »

Strictly training wrestlers with little or no armor could probably achieve that effect. Grapples often result in throws which can lead to broken bones and fatalities without at least leather armor and helmets. It's what injured Merrick and Kriea.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35588 on: July 12, 2014, 07:32:57 pm »

Confirmed, I had a 0.40.02 dwarf recover from a 'exploded into gore' fractured leg injury. Some weeks later, hobbled over to the table to eat then ditched the crutch and walked off to work.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35589 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33:29 pm »

Just had a masterwork dolomite pot get crafted by a 144 year old migrant stonecrafter who "considers craftsdwarfship to be relatively pointless." I think you picked the wrong profession, stonecrafter.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35590 on: July 12, 2014, 07:41:31 pm »

And with the crundles dead, a giant olm arrives! thank god for wild animals often being scared of things now. Otherwise Timd, with his wisdom of not carrying any ammo, would have surely perished.

I have also commissioned the carpenters to make 90 menacing wooden spikes to put at the bottom of my central stairs/shaft. Any elves that are captured when I eventually begin fielding loads of cage traps will be killed with the very things they love: Wooden items.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35591 on: July 12, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »

101 dwarves 169 years of history pocket world.

26 fps.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35592 on: July 12, 2014, 08:13:54 pm »

1st Moonstone was a bad day in my current fort:

Also, HFS absolutely murdered my FPS.
Not a bit fort, maybe 8 living dwarves, was sitting on the FPS cap up till HFS.
With HFS it's about 0.25FPS, or a frame every 4 seconds.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35593 on: July 12, 2014, 08:25:13 pm »

Had our first invasion in the first autumn. Ten bandits, mostly human recruit wrestlers, along with 2 crossbow goblins, a swordsgoblin, speargoblin, and axeman. Our 2 founding hammerdwarves were pretty bad at their jobs, seeing how all they did was individual training drills instead of sparring or anything. One of them got torn up by the goblins while his partner just sorta moved back and forth watching the carnage. He wasn't scared, don't know what he was thinking.

Once his sparring partner died he charged into the fray, entered a martial trance, and promptly caused three goblins to pass out from the pain of pulped limbs. The rest of the bandits fled in terror for a bit while the remaining hammerdwarf bashed the goblins' skulls in. He even chased after a terrified human archer, who tried to climb a tree but got dragged back down and beaten into paste by the still tranced hammerdwarf.

A few more kills later the siege was broken, and the one remaining soldier of any skill in the entire fortress was known as Logem Tomesclutches the Armored Velvet of Pastimes. Logem dreams of mastering a skill, finds merrymaking and partying to be worthwhile activities, does not care about family one way or another, and is an ardent worshipper of Amas and Amas. Yes, he worships the same god twice.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35594 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:26 pm »

I genned up a new small island world in the newest edition of DF that was released on the tenth, because hey, bugfixes and updates and stuff. Previous saves weren't compatable, but the game breaks half the time when I'm trying to load my old hilltop fort anyhow. I'm slowly, slowly learning and thinking about the ways to build an above-ground Dwarf settlement, and constructing buildings and stuff. There's ways to do it, for sure, and there's depth to trying to plan it out.

For instance, this time, I just found a place with an Aquifer (because it's almost impossible to avoid, it's absurd how common they are) and just basically embarked over a big road. I dunno, I like the idea of a roadside fortress/town area. It does seem to have brought attention to us... Kobold thieves appeared the first summer, and we don't have any convenient big hills to sit on.

So we're gonna dig some channels around and moat up, with drawbridges on the road, basically controlling road access. Or we would if such things mattered. After the moat, we'll make a wall. Hopefully that'll give us some physical safety. I'm really, really bad at military matters so I've always relied on construction styles, trapped, and walls to keep me safe.
Pages: 1 ... 2371 2372 [2373] 2374 2375 ... 3836