Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2376 2377 [2378] 2379 2380 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787075 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35655 on: July 14, 2014, 12:01:01 am »

Goblin siege, one squad. Apparently goblins are easily distracted by trees. Also apparently my soldiers are all ace climbers.

No casualties on our side. Maybe we'll survive these wars. I'm building fortifications around where my fort meets the surface.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35656 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:29 am »

A forgotten beast teleported into the fort (no possible access) and killed all but two dwarves.
One's out fishing and the other's smelting ore.
It's a thing MADE OF HEMATITE.
Note that I pierced the caverns by accident and sealed them off.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35657 on: July 14, 2014, 06:42:06 am »

Note that I pierced the caverns by accident and sealed them off.
Can the best fly by chance? Flying creatures can fly diagonally between Z-levels, even if there is a wall above and in front of them.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35658 on: July 14, 2014, 06:43:57 am »

It's a quadruped made of hematite with mandibles.
It has no wings.
I doubt it can fly.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35659 on: July 14, 2014, 06:44:53 am »

Maybe it climbed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35660 on: July 14, 2014, 06:46:21 am »

Cleared a depot path and had a migrant put some of the hilariously plentiful fruit tree wood to use along with the embark animals (a horse and yak; probably shoulda milked them for a little cheese first.) Happened to get an ok weaponsmith, so the miners are now scrambling around to find at least copper ore but so far all they're turning up is bauxite - useful with magma, but less so otherwise - and lignite. Granted I'm happy about the lignite, but I'd like some damned tetrahedrite at least.

I really wish I could have my herbalist gather the fruits that fall off of various fruit trees. It'd go a very long way to alleviating booze shortages (as I'm sure there's some kind of plum- and apple-based booze,) and give me a legitimate reason to not knock down everything with bark.

Maybe it climbed.

That's what I was figuring. Maybe went up a well shaft or something.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35661 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:28 am »

Possibly.
Anyway, I've gone from standard fort to hermit - of the two survivors, the fishery worker is the only one outside, where the brook and plants are.
Once this fort falls, I'll send an adventurer to duel the thing.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35662 on: July 14, 2014, 06:58:03 am »

Coyote men wandered through the area. My sheep and pigs panicked but the dwarves just went about their business until the coyote men left.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35663 on: July 14, 2014, 07:12:10 am »

Step one is complete. "The World is the same as ever" says the liaison. Exactly what was said before.

Squib and Deon are now armed and packing at least some basic chain for body protection. Hopefully I'll find some damned ore soon so they can be fully outfitted since I'm using my Heavy Armor uniform for them. Managed to buy some steel bars so they'll be due for an update in equipment soon.

Well, I found some metal. And guess what it is! Sphalerite. Militarily and debatably crafts-useless sphalerite. Tie  to build some stairs and keep going I guess.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35664 on: July 14, 2014, 08:10:56 am »

Apparently a "Fiend of Steam," has appeared and disappeared.
Beware its seasonal sales!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35665 on: July 14, 2014, 08:59:19 am »

Apparently the announcements don't feel any need to tell you when a dwarf has been struck down, when it's a pseudo-"hostile" dwarf left over from your previous reclaim of the site.

Left the 4 FPS site running overnight, in the morning its paused on migrant arrival a couple of months later. Check combat reports and suddenly I understand why there's a dwarf corpse in the refuse stockpile.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35666 on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:38 am »

Two Forgotten Beasts (one flying, one not) came up through the well at the same time... and began fighting each other in the hospital.

Luckily, there weren't any injured present, so the other dwarves just watched it being (!) horrified and only two of them got caught in the crossfire (One was a green glass quadruped that "hungers for warm blood", the other was a giant hairless goat with "poisonous spittle")  Once the military got there, it was all over but the sweeping up shards of green glass and butchering the ex-goat.

The Goblin civilization which had five outposts one square away on the map seems to have been exterminated, since I have been in the fort five years now and only had the first year goblin raid... they no longer show on my "nearby civ" screens either.  Since I'm on a glacier, I seem to have escaped the kobolds as well.  My only threats are from wildlife and FBs.  Kinda boring.

This fort will probably be retired since it's .40.02 and the new version breaks saves.  Oh well, it was real  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35667 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:45 am »

updated to 40.03, no problem for now, except that the framerate fluctuates for some unknown reason (no reports of any cave ins, only weather effects and the usual tree collapse due to mining).

the game doesnt seem to generate minerals even when i set it to everywhere, guess its something of the new version (that or its because i like to build forts in embarks with elevation of 1 or 0)

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35668 on: July 14, 2014, 09:44:01 am »

updated to 40.03, no problem for now, except that the framerate fluctuates for some unknown reason (no reports of any cave ins, only weather effects and the usual tree collapse due to mining).

the game doesnt seem to generate minerals even when i set it to everywhere, guess its something of the new version (that or its because i like to build forts in embarks with elevation of 1 or 0)

Is there still the... um... still problem?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35669 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53:26 am »

Is there still the... um... still problem?

You probably need more empty barrels.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 2376 2377 [2378] 2379 2380 ... 3835