Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2379 2380 [2381] 2382 2383 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789145 times)

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #35700 on: July 14, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »

Sounds to me like Dwarves need OSHA.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35701 on: July 14, 2014, 05:17:38 pm »

Started a new fort with Aquifer listed as the top layer. Unfortunately, the ground was not covered in water when they embarked.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35702 on: July 14, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »

They've needed OSHA for a while now.

In other news, two dwarves have climbed trees and done it wrong.
One broke both hands. The other broke a foot and some toes. Neither pulped anything.
Naturally they claimed the two beds in the dormitory, so there isn't anywhere for other dwarves to sleep. Punks.
Now there's a crash program on to distil the ocean water into potable water to wash wounds, and to set up a deeper food industry and lye/soap. Which is to say, it's time to bring the available medical care a few thousand years forward in time.
Still no migrants, so there are only 5 functional dwarves at the moment, had to de-activate one the miners to do other things.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35703 on: July 14, 2014, 05:24:43 pm »

They've needed OSHA for a while now.

In other news, two dwarves have climbed trees and done it wrong.
One broke both hands. The other broke a foot and some toes. Neither pulped anything.
Naturally they claimed the two beds in the dormitory, so there isn't anywhere for other dwarves to sleep. Punks.
Now there's a crash program on to distil the ocean water into potable water to wash wounds, and to set up a deeper food industry and lye/soap. Which is to say, it's time to bring the available medical care a few thousand years forward in time.
Still no migrants, so there are only 5 functional dwarves at the moment, had to de-activate one the miners to do other things.

As anyone witnessed legitimate pulping? So far as I've sceen explodes in gore, collapses, cloven asunder etc are just flavor text for bruised broken or cut open.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35704 on: July 14, 2014, 05:32:11 pm »

I'd say pulping is in effect since it can take a few hits from punches/kicks/blunt weapons to get a " The injured part is collapsed/crushed/exploded" message (often included fatalities if the collapsed or crushed part is the head or torso.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35705 on: July 14, 2014, 05:38:20 pm »

I'd say pulping is in effect since it can take a few hits from punches/kicks/blunt weapons to get a " The injured part is collapsed/crushed/exploded" message (often included fatalities if the collapsed or crushed part is the head or torso.)

Right but on examination the problem is generally broken, bruised, or cut open and I've never seen a case that couldn't be treated in the hospital. Popular understanding seems to be that pulping means perma-fucked.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35706 on: July 14, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, "pulping" doesn't exactly mean that the body part can't be repaired.
HOWEVER, if a creature died with a pulped body part, the corpse (or, if the pulped part or something containing it is severed, that part) is listed as "mangled".
If I'm even less mistaken, mangled corpses or body parts can't be used to make zombies, so hope you have a sharp blade to decapitate your foes or hack of limbs and wait for blood loss to set in.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35707 on: July 14, 2014, 05:49:10 pm »

Digging a mass grave to house the dozens of animal men I had put to death. I am a monster.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35708 on: July 14, 2014, 05:51:50 pm »

Right but on examination the problem is generally broken, bruised, or cut open and I've never seen a case that couldn't be treated in the hospital. Popular understanding seems to be that pulping means perma-fucked.
I just made the assumption that it is in play because dwarves armed with maces can kill forgotten beasts now if they wail on its head enough. In .34.11 I had a macedwarf who couldn't do more beyond the odd broken bone (was a worldgen dwarf and fully grown, using a steel mace) here or there and could never do more than bruise something that large's head. And the reason I'm focusing on maces  is they seem to generally get  next to no love from many players and have wanted to use them for a long time.

As to not being permanent damage perhaps it's a concession so you don't have wounded dwarves clogging the hospital complaining about thier mangled limbs; dwarves with permanent syndrome sicknesses will complain consistently which can get irritating, and dwarves with mangled (and as such permanently injured and untreatable) limbs would probably do the same.

Course I could be totally wrong or unobservant or something. All I know is now maces and mailed fists are viable and torso damage beyond blood loss can be fatal, even against hammers or maces (or fists for that matter.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35709 on: July 14, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »

I just made the assumption that it is in play because dwarves armed with maces can kill forgotten beasts now if they wail on its head enough. In .34.11 I had a macedwarf who couldn't do more beyond the odd broken bone (was a worldgen dwarf and fully grown, using a steel mace) here or there and could never do more than bruise something that large's head. And the reason I'm focusing on maces  is they seem to generally get  next to no love from many players and have wanted to use them for a long time.

As to not being permanent damage perhaps it's a concession so you don't have wounded dwarves clogging the hospital complaining about thier mangled limbs; dwarves with permanent syndrome sicknesses will complain consistently which can get irritating, and dwarves with mangled (and as such permanently injured and untreatable) limbs would probably do the same.

Course I could be totally wrong or unobservant or something. All I know is now maces and mailed fists are viable and torso damage beyond blood loss can be fatal, even against hammers or maces (or fists for that matter.)

Absolutely, the fact that the fabled giant sponge is no longer immortal can attest to that. What I was referring to was the concern that a dwarf would pulp a body part rather than just breaking it.

My guard captain just got a taste of "split open in gore" when his second in command threw him by the toe and his arm went from being an outie to an innie.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35710 on: July 14, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »

I just assumed in that case they sewed the two sides of body part back together and hoped for the best. I also notice soldiers are now considerably more "crafty" in that they have learned how to use thier weapon and shield on one arm (I just pretend they tie the shield to thier forearm) when they hurt the other arm.

May just be a coding thing. Right now the game can't tell the difference between a limb that's been crushed/collapsed and one that's been broken, but it's a damn sight better than when a hammerdwarf would bash and bash and bash and manage to break the same lower leg 18 times.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35711 on: July 14, 2014, 06:09:29 pm »

Maces work quite nicely in Adventurer mode, for whatever that is worth.
Pulping heads works wonders with them as far as killing things goes, haven't done any Science on what is repairable and what is not, though.

If I can get my current fort off the ground far enough I'll give it a while. Could be a bit, and my track record with 0.40 and off the ground is pretty horrendous so far.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35712 on: July 14, 2014, 06:10:09 pm »

I just assumed in that case they sewed the two sides of body part back together and hoped for the best. I also notice soldiers are now considerably more "crafty" in that they have learned how to use thier weapon and shield on one arm (I just pretend they tie the shield to thier forearm) when they hurt the other arm.

May just be a coding thing. Right now the game can't tell the difference between a limb that's been crushed/collapsed and one that's been broken, but it's a damn sight better than when a hammerdwarf would bash and bash and bash and manage to break the same lower leg 18 times.
I don't think the shield thing is new, I remember hearing about dwarves who lost an arm and started carrying their shield and sword in one hand.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35713 on: July 14, 2014, 06:14:04 pm »

I don't think the shield thing is new, I remember hearing about dwarves who lost an arm and started carrying their shield and sword in one hand.
It's not, but now my wounded soldiers do it waaaaaaaaaay more frequently than they used to. Fools used to refuse to pick up whichever they dropped when injured (shield or weapon.)

Time for a new world, since my luck in the Spiritnets regen was poor at best. For some reason the game seemed to know that the armies would be smashed to literal bits at my fortress...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #35714 on: July 14, 2014, 07:30:55 pm »

The dwarves of Laboredjoy have just discovered that the large amounts of shallow metal that the geolosmiths predicted consists ENTIRELY of Native Gold. On the one hand, we are disappointed because we expected to be the prime steel manufacturers of The Rough Constructs, but on the other hand, cubic fuckton of gold.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 2379 2380 [2381] 2382 2383 ... 3835