Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2407 2408 [2409] 2410 2411 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787633 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36120 on: July 26, 2014, 12:08:26 pm »

Did you give people private bedrooms? I'm curious if/how it helped.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36121 on: July 26, 2014, 12:13:52 pm »

The bedrooms were dug out and smoothed, just needed to be furnished. Unfortunately, they were not finished on time.

I usually just use a dormitory and a common dining hall. Private bedrooms are typically farther down the list. By the time I actually start doing them, I've got 120+ dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:15:35 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mercurial

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36122 on: July 26, 2014, 01:13:50 pm »

(snip)

Reclaiming pre-built structures is the best. You never know what lurks behind those walls. It's addictive, is what it is.

Also, please tell me Exi has a cat.

Temujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36123 on: July 26, 2014, 02:18:37 pm »

So, my fort currently has 2 children and one insane, ecstatic master weaponsmith wandering the miasmatic, corpse filled halls.   Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  How did this come to pass?

A werehorse attacks my fort.  The well armed militia respond and kill it, but in the process, one fragile marksdwarf, an administrator by trade, is injure.   The militia is sent to quarantine for a month.  The injured dwarf goes to the hospital, setup without doors near the main body of the fort.  Several days, later the administrator transforms while in his bed.   He is unable to escape (I assume strapped down), but a innocent ranger comes near to drop of some linens, and has his throat bitten out.  Chaos reigns.  Now healed, the marksdwarf escapes his bed and begins to attack other members of the fort. The military is sent to kill him.  Oh, they do!  But it is too late - many in the military, already depressed due to the long patrol time bug, go berzerk, crushing pets and children. 

The mayor goes insane and kills a nearby child.   Then, as bodies pile up and blood runs, he takes over a woodworkers shop.  As he does so, a forgotten beast attack. What remains of the military makes short work of it.    The mayor reveals his creation:  an artifact bone coffin!   

God, I love this game.  Losing is indeed !FUN!     I plan to keep on with this fortress, and try to rebuild.  I mean, there is an artifact steel shortsword waiting for a dwarf dwarfly enough to reclaim it.  I see it as sticking out of an anvil somewhere in the dark, waiting for the chosendorf. 

Temujin

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36124 on: July 26, 2014, 03:52:28 pm »

Grrrr...

I had a huge, real megafortress all planned out now that DF is probably going to be fairly stable. After restarting once when I hit unusually shallow caverns (7 layers below the surface) progress was going swimmingly, with maybe 2/3 of the upper level excavated when I struck clay. I can't smooth it and even if I could it would look bad with the diorite that the rest of the place is set into. No salvaging it, I guess. On to the next site!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36125 on: July 26, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »

Grrrr...

I had a huge, real megafortress all planned out now that DF is probably going to be fairly stable. After restarting once when I hit unusually shallow caverns (7 layers below the surface) progress was going swimmingly, with maybe 2/3 of the upper level excavated when I struck clay. I can't smooth it and even if I could it would look bad with the diorite that the rest of the place is set into. No salvaging it, I guess. On to the next site!

It's genuinely relieving to know I'm not the only one who has abandoned massive projects because they happened to hit a bit of soil.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36126 on: July 26, 2014, 05:58:44 pm »

Why in Armoks name would you abandon just because of a little soil?

Pave it over with bricks of your preferred stone, dig out the soil walls and replace them with brick walls, boom, uniform again and hardly too much effort.  Set your masons on construct rock blocks (R) with stockpile settings to only allow your chosen stone and to give to the workshop so it only takes from there.

Most of my major forts are primarily constructed and paved over just to look better.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #36127 on: July 26, 2014, 06:51:59 pm »

My expedition leader and broker just got married. Children are probably going to arrive soon. I'm going to nickname the first born son to "tag" him so that when his father dies, he shall take control of the fortress. If any nobles get in the way, then we do a reverse-McBeth.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36128 on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »

Why in Armoks name would you abandon just because of a little soil?

Pave it over with bricks of your preferred stone, dig out the soil walls and replace them with brick walls, boom, uniform again and hardly too much effort.  Set your masons on construct rock blocks (R) with stockpile settings to only allow your chosen stone and to give to the workshop so it only takes from there.

Most of my major forts are primarily constructed and paved over just to look better.

I guess we're back on schedule. Although, is there anything I can do about the visible soil behind the stone? That's not nearly as much of a problem, but it is still a bit irritating, being bright red clay against gray stone.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36129 on: July 26, 2014, 07:48:43 pm »

I guess we're back on schedule. Although, is there anything I can do about the visible soil behind the stone? That's not nearly as much of a problem, but it is still a bit irritating, being bright red clay against gray stone.

You can go into the raws in your save file and change the color of the soil. It'll still be soil and unsmoothable, and if you change it you'll change all of that type of soil on the map, not just the bit that's annoying, but still. If the color's annoying, you can fix that.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36130 on: July 26, 2014, 08:01:04 pm »

I think DFHACK might have an "unreveal" feature or something like that.  Not sure.  Also, not sure if it is working for the new version yet.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36131 on: July 26, 2014, 08:01:35 pm »

At the end of this fort's second year, a pair of necromancers brought a small horde (only about 15) zombies to, y'know, spread terror and death, etc., etc. Due to a severe lack of armor and therefore of trained military dwarves, I decided to turtle up. Almost immediately, a were-elephant ambushed the only two zombies bold enough to approach the fortress and ripped them to shreds, before reverting to human form.

A few months later, a dwarf had a strange mood, and I was out of wood in the safety of the fort, so I briefly allowed surface access because the necromancers were just chilling out near the edge of the map...which they continued to do while dwarves walked purposefully around the surface, collecting all the logs left up there months ago and working on unfinished construction jobs. Since the necromancers had apparently just decided to go for a camping trip that happened to take place on the edge of the map and had no interest in attacking me (despite the big, red   S I E G E   warning), I decided to just leave the fort open and finish building the walls on the second story, properly connect the drawbridge (previously cancelled for no good reason, to my great irritation), and generally get stuff done.

This uneasy peace lasted until autumn, when they turned tail and left without even saying goodbye. I was taken completely by surprise by the caravan and diplomat arriving. Work continued, traded for some stuff, the mayor met with the diplomat, walls were built...and then, well after the meeting was successfully concluded and without a new mayor being elected or the mayor going crazy or being taken by a mood or whatever, the diplomat just suddenly went insane. It's not even winter yet, but he's swinging through the trees and running around babbling.

Oh, and a tree exploded at a fisherdwarf, who drowned in an ankle-deep murky pool.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #36132 on: July 26, 2014, 08:03:50 pm »

just had a goblin siege directly after trying to recover from a werelizard in my fort killign 5 people. the siege hit me when i had 2 soldiers there were about 11 goblins and an elf and human recruit sent my two soldiers out with 6 recruits they al died the fort was surprisingly calm a bowman and the human recruit came to the door and the bowman started shooting the guy whose wife died in the attack he kept fainting and being shot again and again so i drafted another 8 people and at the cost of another two dwarves lives killed the bowman. i just got a notification about his son kogan canceling drinking due to emotional shock as his father lies in bed with a broken arm and leg a fractured skull a cut open lower upper body and head and a broken/fractured liver, pancreas, guts and stomach. He doesn't care about anything anymore. The rest of the siege it out there somewhere but for now it seems I can go out to get water and make a few buckets to see if I can save his father.

EDIT: And someone else just changed into a werelizard inside the fort.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:08:44 pm by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36133 on: July 26, 2014, 09:19:55 pm »

This was the first time I got to Autumn in fort mode (40.0X) and while overseeing the aboveground construction I see what appear to be little red clouds roiling around. At first I was like "We're doomed. The evil region has invaded, *sorrowful sigh* let's see what kind of cloud it is." I check and it says "Pecan leaves"...
So very doomed  :P
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36134 on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:23 pm »

Ugh...some of the necromancer pals' zombies wandered back onto the map. A dwarf who'd just spent a season loading a ton of cage traps specifically to catch zombies if they came back carefully led the zombies *away* from the traps, of course. In fact, he led them in a circuitous route all around the area where they were set up, but carefully never crossing the line of traps. I'm convinced he was in league with the necromancers, because that's beyond stupid. Oh, and his inevitable death has led to a tantrum spiral that's already been the death of the weapon/armorsmith I've been carefully training up for two years so that I can start the militia off with decent equipment and not have them get attached to lousy equipment.

Of course, training decent smiths is extremely tedious (queue jobs with manager, wait, melt cruddy results, continually make charcoal, repeat ad infinitum), and how little chance this fort has of surviving without a militia considering that everything's out to kill it all the time, even if the fort survives the tantrum spiral I'm kind of considering consigning them to their fate. Oh, and fun fact: none of the various murderers feel any remorse (no thoughts about having "accidentally" killed someone).
Pages: 1 ... 2407 2408 [2409] 2410 2411 ... 3835