Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2410 2411 [2412] 2413 2414 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5830467 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36165 on: July 28, 2014, 03:47:10 pm »

Za?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not a whole lot of dwarves on that list.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36166 on: July 28, 2014, 03:55:19 pm »

I started a fort and didn't get any immigrants in the first summer or fall. Maybe the early migrant waves aren't hardcoded anymore. Hmm.

I hope I'm not stuck with a migrantless fort, there's tons of coal and iron here.

Make sure your d_init file was not copied over from previous versions.
A strict population cap has been implemented, and with it missing from the file, it defaults to 0, which means no immigrants or babies. ever.

Whoop! I'm a moron, then, didn't notice that. Time to see what unretiring a fort looks like after a couple weeks of letting them run around... well, more sensibly.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:58:42 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36167 on: July 28, 2014, 04:08:41 pm »

I dunno what you're talking about man. Those are dwarven names if I ever saw any. :P

The militia grows to three with the arrival of the Watchaxe clan. Six dwarves, Watchaxes all, have joined the fortress, with two of them having skill with hammers. I am lead to believe the two were beast hunters that took down some werecritters or something else or there was a war with the humans relatively recently. Weapons are now available to these dwarves, made from glorious steel which is a first for me in a very very long time. Usually all I have to work with is copper or maybe bronze not counting imported ingots here and there.

Also a whole troop of badgers was successfully captured and my dorfs now know "a few fact" about them! Taming will be a whole different matter.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36168 on: July 28, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »

This is the worst damned aquifer I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

First 2 levels are normal soil, next is peat over the entire embark with a aquifer. Under that is clay, no aquifer.

Under the clay is microcline and sandstone, sandstone is an aquifer. Microcline pockets are not, but I can only dig those out a little and hope that they lay over each other just enough to get a staircase down through the layers.

So far I'm past 6 layers of aquifer, with another below me at least.

OW

Armok's beard, my sympathy for you knows no bounds. This is exactly why I gen all my worlds without aquifers.
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36169 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:31 pm »

I don't mind aquifers usually, but I almost always check with DFHack to see what I'm up against. This is one of those sites where I would've been very well prepared had I known what I was going into, but with no way to check without trial and error I'm struggling with a massivley retarded aquifer.

I did make it through, but I have no idea how to pretty up the entrance yet. Its a mass of down stairs probing the layer beneath, microcline veins dug out around sandstone, and crazy tunnels.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36170 on: July 28, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »

I don't mind aquifers usually, but I almost always check with DFHack to see what I'm up against. This is one of those sites where I would've been very well prepared had I known what I was going into, but with no way to check without trial and error I'm struggling with a massivley retarded aquifer.

I did make it through, but I have no idea how to pretty up the entrance yet. Its a mass of down stairs probing the layer beneath, microcline veins dug out around sandstone, and crazy tunnels.
Sounds normal to me.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36171 on: July 28, 2014, 06:54:22 pm »

I'm trying to lay out my fortress before the first migrant wave shows up. I've tracked down all the caverns, only spilled magma into one accidentally, discovered a magma pipe(related), and located the clay and dirt deposits. I'm not sure how to lay it all out, though. There's a corridor filled with magma between C1 and C2, but the soil(and the clay) is much closer to the surface.

Oh, I can farm on muddied soil. NEVERMIND, THIS IS A DEEP FORTRESS FOR DEEP DWARVES. C3 is the ground. C2 is the ceiling. Clay and wood are getting down via minecart, which I've never done before. Oh, I have galena. I can make lead minecarts. THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36172 on: July 28, 2014, 09:35:06 pm »

I'm trying to lay out my fortress before the first migrant wave shows up. I've tracked down all the caverns, only spilled magma into one accidentally, discovered a magma pipe(related), and located the clay and dirt deposits. I'm not sure how to lay it all out, though. There's a corridor filled with magma between C1 and C2, but the soil(and the clay) is much closer to the surface.

Oh, I can farm on muddied soil. NEVERMIND, THIS IS A DEEP FORTRESS FOR DEEP DWARVES. C3 is the ground. C2 is the ceiling. Clay and wood are getting down via minecart, which I've never done before. Oh, I have galena. I can make lead minecarts. THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN.

Bonus points if you make the circus your home.

WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36173 on: July 28, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »

The RNG officially hates me. Perhaps it was the early discovery of adamantine, but two forgotten beasts have shown up in the second year. THe first was eviscerated by a horde of war spiders. The second has claimed four legendary soldiers with its motherfucking fire breath. I've gotten desperate and now everyone in my entire 11-elf (modded to be dwarfy) fort sans the engraver gets to be soldiers. Hoping I have enough adamantine inside for swords; I have no access to the mines at the moment because of that gigantic skinless antelope.

EDIT: And apparently the two are now the symbol of my government.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:52:41 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36174 on: July 29, 2014, 12:01:12 am »

So, right when I was happy enough with the flow tunnels to ignite the magma forges (AKA pierce the volcano and flood some simple but elegant hole), a goblin siege shows up. I haven't even been able to trade with anyone! I mean, one caravan showed up, but by the time my trade goods made it to the depot that I hastily built, they were already gone back to the mountainhomes... that are run by goblins.
No imports, no exports, my most expensive item is a chair, and it's not even an artifact!

So of course, since I got all of like ten migrants over three waves and therefor have no military, I turtle down. Traps line the entry hall that is barred by locked doors. Even if they had a building destroyer, I think they would be unable to get in.

Oh, and did I mention how pretty it looks during the spring with the Willow trees, Cherry trees, and Alders? It's like a fireworks display on my monitor! I'm so happy about this.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36175 on: July 29, 2014, 04:27:58 am »

Embarked on the side of a volcano mountain in a white sand desert and going through somewhat of a food production dip.

As in there is no food, or drink, at the moment.

It isn't all bad though. The local Crundle population in the caverns has been running "interference" with the poison projectile spitting One-eyed Armadillo while some fishing gets done at the water access location. They seem like nice critters. At least as far as I can tell from the short glimpse I get of them before they either run away screaming or get disemboweled.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36176 on: July 29, 2014, 06:38:39 am »

Three forgotten Beasts in a single year... huh.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36177 on: July 29, 2014, 01:22:33 pm »

Goblins came and massacred my dwarves in the first winter. Of those who survived, a bunch jumped into the river canyon for some reason. I'm down to two functional dwarves, one of whom is a ten-year-old, while the other is waiting to attend a meeting with the expedition leader (who's fighting off carp in the river).

There's also a stray cat who keeps completely failing to climb out of the river due to a wounded paw, causing the combat log to spam "The stray cat slams into an obstacle! The stray cat is no longer stunned."

On the bright side, my civ is at war with the elves, so I'll have that to look forward to in the spring.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:25:26 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36178 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:07 pm »

Spent some hours today trying to find out how to build a small pit I can make my vampires fall into. He did eventually fall down, but I had unsealed the pit ealier and he just walked away to the hospital.
Now he has two infections and one still untreated wound. Good luck with that.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36179 on: July 29, 2014, 02:08:35 pm »

Got through to the second spring, with no migrants whatsoever. Didn't even realize something was up, until someone happened to mention the new option FORCE_POP_CAP or whatever in d_init. So that was a surprise.

Workshops are just below C1, farms are in C2, and bedrooms are over C3, which is basically just one big lake.

I think I'm going to make aquaria.
Pages: 1 ... 2410 2411 [2412] 2413 2414 ... 3836