Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2411 2412 [2413] 2414 2415 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787200 times)

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36180 on: July 29, 2014, 02:11:25 pm »

generating a new world in.40.05 large area, 9500 years 3.6 GHz proc and it's getting about 100 years/hr currently. It was at year 2633 when I departed for work this morning after 10 hours of generation time.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36181 on: July 29, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »

Uh good luck with that man. Could we get a screencap of that world when it's done generating?

Sda209

• Bay Watcher
  • Writer and Persona-user
    • View Profile
« Reply #36182 on: July 29, 2014, 02:23:36 pm »

At the moment, in my 0.40.05 fortress, I've set up a small base inside the side of a mountain. Right now, I'm trying to finish digging the rest of the base before going in deeper and planning out the rest of the layout of my fort. Even with the recent tweaks and fixes, I'm still a little slow,  :(. (My computer, that is. It used to run fine in 0.34.11, however.)

And yes, I'm new here. I hope my stay would be enjoyable. Praise Armok.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:25:18 pm by Sda209 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36183 on: July 29, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »

Welcome, to Bay12 Forum. Please, mind the corpses, blood puddles, and abandoned projects littering the halls as you go about your business, and please, do enjoy your stay.

Sda209

• Bay Watcher
  • Writer and Persona-user
    • View Profile
« Reply #36184 on: July 29, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »

Welcome, to Bay12 Forum. Please, mind the corpses, blood puddles, and abandoned projects littering the halls as you go about your business, and please, do enjoy your stay.

Thank you,  :D.

Oh, and don't worry, I've seen my fair share of insanity concerning DF (one of them, Koganusan: Boatmurdered. My goodness, that was a heck of a tale to read!).

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36185 on: July 29, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

Between bouts of playing my turn in Silverysects, the Dwan of Time challenge fort, I've been messing around with .40.05 and dead civilizations.

Currently my King, the armor smith I brought on embark, is ecstatic. I took a few silver nuggets and cassiterite and copper nuggets for bronze. Silver for furniture, bronze for weapons, armor and more furniture if needed. A lucky layer of marble makes for a decent suite. His room is not quite up to royal standards yet, but the sheer number of nice things he has to look at are massively outweighing any negative thoughts about a poor room.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He is currently taking a break from the production of armor for our fledgling military. Half the smooth walls you see he helped polish, the furniture he helped haul into place, and even likes doors, so mandates are incredibly easy to handle. I really like the fact that so far he is useful and not a lazy noble, like some of them end up being.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36186 on: July 29, 2014, 02:54:51 pm »

Goblins came and massacred my dwarves in the first winter. Of those who survived, a bunch jumped into the river canyon for some reason. I'm down to two functional dwarves, one of whom is a ten-year-old, while the other is waiting to attend a meeting with the expedition leader (who's fighting off carp in the river).

There's also a stray cat who keeps completely failing to climb out of the river due to a wounded paw, causing the combat log to spam "The stray cat slams into an obstacle! The stray cat is no longer stunned."

On the bright side, my civ is at war with the elves, so I'll have that to look forward to in the spring.

Progress update! All the dwarves are dead except the two I mentioned earlier. The adult one was ecstatic for a while, but then the kid threw a tantrum, tossed a few corpses around, and beat the crap out of the adult dwarf, who's now miserable and resting on a bruised spine. Hoping I get migrants this spring, but there's nobody left to pull the lever that lets the migrants in.

The cat hasn't gave up yet.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36187 on: July 29, 2014, 03:51:04 pm »

With the Toad Thorax properly stowed away, we close the bridge and focus on the dwarves for a change.
One dwarf is in the hospital, one dwarf is insane, and  I discover that we have a booze shortage after seeing 10 dwaves standing by the cavern lake.
So The Cheeful Land of Ghouls gets its first mist generator !

Only two cavys left to test my drop, so I decide to improvise.

Result: the cavy that fell with the falling objects perished, but the one on the bottom floor was only hurt.
Several future tests reveal that the cavy only dies when it hits other objects in mid-air.
And I'm not sure if it is giving the "has witnessed death" thought to my dwaves :(

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36188 on: July 29, 2014, 04:42:53 pm »

Running 40_05.  Copied my inits, no migrants.  Found the strict pop cap thing.  Retired/reclaimed and immediately had 4 dwarves terrified by a batman run into a river and drown.  Abandoned/reclaimed.  Been going a couple years now.  Giant Kea invasion killed one, blinded another.  Human invasion wS easily thwarted by my iron clad squads.  I embarked on an ocean front with surface hematite.  Lots and lots of fish.  Just got to candy and lava.  Thus is my first real go at big time candy production.  Then maybe an above ocean fort attempt.
Ancient Avatar

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36189 on: July 29, 2014, 06:53:20 pm »

generating a new world in.40.05 large area, 9500 years 3.6 GHz proc and it's getting about 100 years/hr currently. It was at year 2633 when I departed for work this morning after 10 hours of generation time.

Another 10 hours of generation time done and the year stands at 3170, err 3171, 3172...
198076 historical figures
Dead 119906
1.69 million events

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36190 on: July 29, 2014, 06:54:23 pm »

I decided to make a large silly and otherwise pointless project.

I'm going to build a town for the dwarves with houses and stuff. underground. c:
obviously back in 34.11 for reasons.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36191 on: July 29, 2014, 07:25:00 pm »

"You have discovered a deep pit"

I think I might have found the reason for the "Urist cancels store item in stockpile: item inaccessible" spam I've been getting whenever I open up the passage to the upper cavern  :D

Now I forgot if animals can reveal undiscovered terrain, or if I really need to let a dwarf take the fall <evil grin>

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:27:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36192 on: July 29, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »

Feline and canine geonaughts are a time honored tradition among dwarves.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36193 on: July 29, 2014, 08:05:10 pm »

It's a deep, but dull shaft. it just drops from the first upper cavern, straight down 58 z-levels into a pool, in either the bottom cavern layer, or the 2nd cavern. I don't see any nether caps in the area covered in puppy bits, and I can go down 55 more levels before hitting bottom. Never seen 58 z-levels in between 1st and 2nd cave yet so far though, would be a first.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:08:11 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36194 on: July 29, 2014, 08:08:04 pm »

Yay, my first invaders in the Dead Civilization Fort!

Granted, they ARE only a troop or 3 of grey langur, but still... a nice practice dummy for my two axedwarves. Bedrooms and better dining facilities are under construction, gold was found way down deep, and no other weapons grade ores have been found. All rock is metamorphic, so I'm pretty screwed for any actual metal armor. Bone and leather should be ok for now.
Pages: 1 ... 2411 2412 [2413] 2414 2415 ... 3835