Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2420 2421 [2422] 2423 2424 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843739 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36315 on: August 02, 2014, 06:33:45 pm »

Re: Failure to cook most of an elephant:
Quote from: caknuck
I built an emergency kitchen right beside the butchery, placing the meatstacks 4 tiles away from the new kitchen (no other food items were closer). The friggin' dwarfs would path THROUGH the kitchen, past heaps of elephant meat, and over to the storeroom beyond to fetch a single-unit stack of tallow. Idiots.

You would've needed to get the elephant meat moved to a stockpile. Food on stockpiles doesn't rot (at all, at least in .40.03). Anyway, assuming you didn't mess up your kitchens by linking stockpiles to them (restricts what ingredients they'll work with) it was likely a problem of ingredient preference. Dwarfs prefer ingredients stored in barrels/pots over "loose" food, and this preference is absolute: they'll only even start considering the loose meat two tiles from their kitchen after all the tallow from the fat barrel 200 tiles away is used up. It's absolutely expected, but very unintuitive and fix-worthy behaviour.

PS: or you moved the meat by "dumping" it (onto a non-stockpile square) and forgot to reclaim it.

In retrospect, I'm going to use a temporary burrow to force the bastards to use the meat in the butchery the next time we have elephant on the menu. Or tapir, we just got one of those.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36316 on: August 02, 2014, 07:14:15 pm »

Playing Masterwork.
A giant rat just killed 4 of my dwarves, my miner died instantly somehow, and a tree spider killed 3 of my dwarves.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36317 on: August 02, 2014, 07:49:13 pm »

Update on the river, everyone is dead. Nobody bothered using the bridge that was right next to the wagon and instead waded through the river while hauling the crap I ordered to the center of the improbable-river-island-thing. So one by one, they all were washed off the 7-z waterfall to greet the resident river-hippos.

I'm gonna try to reembark, but somehow I think this is a project that will kill more dwarves than goblins.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36318 on: August 02, 2014, 11:45:25 pm »

Update on the river, everyone is dead. Nobody bothered using the bridge that was right next to the wagon and instead waded through the river while hauling the crap I ordered to the center of the improbable-river-island-thing. So one by one, they all were washed off the 7-z waterfall to greet the resident river-hippos.

I'm gonna try to reembark, but somehow I think this is a project that will kill more dwarves than goblins.

Dude! pleaseplease please, post the seed and location on the cookbook thread! if not the file of course- That looks AWESOME to play!
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36319 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:28 am »

Okay, how do I go about getting those things? I tried peeking at the region folders to see which was which but apparently I lack the correct program.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:15:24 am by LMeire »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36320 on: August 03, 2014, 03:09:42 am »

Dispatched another forgotten beast today. It was made of ash, didn't even have a chance to see a dwarf before the spiders bit it to pieces. The last migrant wave pushed the fort over 50 population, but I've managed to create enough work to occupy everyone. The fortress has survived and even thrived. My military is doing well; I have two squads, one of which is populated with all lords, and a fortress guard. The double-layered drawbridge airlock hasn't seen much use, but the gobbos are getting more aggressive and FB attacks come at a worrying rate. I built an "aboveground" farm; now we'll have plenty of variety in our booze and food, since the last hippie caravan brought whip vine, prickle berry, rat weed, and strawberries that I could grow. I'm not sure of what to do with all of these migrant children; I feel bad for drafting peasants, but every essential (and most non-essential) position has plenty of people competing for it already. The mayor somehow wandered into a cage trap; maybe it was webbed? Either way, the mayor will have an office/dining room/bedroom. I appointed the captain of the guard as the hammerer; hopefully "executions" wont work all that well with a wooden crossbow. I'm also constructing a truly massive dining hall and adjoining food stockpile; the current one is excellent but basically coated in animals and dwarves. I've decided to level the volcano down to the crater; no particular reason. Basalt is a neat rock, I guess. I'm going to set up a jail to handle the inevitable dispensation of justice; I've got plenty of ropes from trading away masterwork adamantine minecarts. What the elves are going to do with it, I have no idea.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36321 on: August 03, 2014, 03:22:10 am »

Well, that likely confirms that your bizarre river had no normal source of water - it'd have drained out pretty quickly if you'd managed to survive long enough. I had dwarves doing the same thing on a map where part of the river upstream froze earlier than the rest of the river. As soon as the water level downstream of the ice blockade started hitting 5 or so, they started pathing through it. I lost so many babies and bins that way, since they tended to drop 'em right in the water when the dangerous terrain warning hit.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36322 on: August 03, 2014, 04:25:53 am »

Whenever you've got a variable depth river and you've bridged it, remember to set traffic in the water to Restricted.  Every square of it counts as 12.5 normal ones, or 25 compared to high traffic, which is how you'd want to set your the bridge.  Self defense from drunken dwarf.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36323 on: August 03, 2014, 01:42:58 pm »

Elves just brought me a mating pair of pythons! Let the weaponization efforts begin!

Plus another rhino (will quickly be slaughtered) and a female eagle. Wild eagles abound on this map, so we'll be eating delicious eagle egg omelettes soon.

They also brought me two highly venomous snakes, so that may speak a bit to my popularity with their culture.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: I'm going to have to mod in breeding for the pythons. I think "[CHILD:2][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:juvenile python:juvenile pythons]" should do it...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:29:56 pm by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36324 on: August 03, 2014, 02:12:53 pm »

So I just tried the old leather glob fix from old versions in 40.05. I somehow got over 5000 units of leather from butchering and tanning the two pack animals. I also now have a legendary tanner.

This was not how it worked in the past. This was not expected. I don't know how to react to this.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36325 on: August 03, 2014, 02:46:28 pm »

So I just tried the old leather glob fix from old versions in 40.05. I somehow got over 5000 units of leather from butchering and tanning the two pack animals. I also now have a legendary tanner.

This was not how it worked in the past. This was not expected. I don't know how to react to this.

The way globs have worked has changed slightly. They now have a size like bars, liquids, and a few other items. You will need to change the reagent amount for the glob in the reaction from 1 to 150.

You can't use up part of an item, and when you attempt to you will end up using the entire size. So one glob of skin would give 150 units of leather.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36326 on: August 03, 2014, 03:14:07 pm »

Well, that likely confirms that your bizarre river had no normal source of water - it'd have drained out pretty quickly if you'd managed to survive long enough. I had dwarves doing the same thing on a map where part of the river upstream froze earlier than the rest of the river. As soon as the water level downstream of the ice blockade started hitting 5 or so, they started pathing through it. I lost so many babies and bins that way, since they tended to drop 'em right in the water when the dangerous terrain warning hit.

Yeah, it drains away during fort mode, but after a reclaim it fills up again. I've seen it happen five times, right now I'm planning some weird-river-science where I channel out some of the dried riverbed to be deeper, abandon the site, and see how much fills up after a reclaim.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36327 on: August 03, 2014, 03:35:30 pm »

So Quickmetals was born.  The first thing that happens is I notice a spire north of me on the map full of goblins.  The leader is... terrifying.  His name is Cacame.

Here's the spire with him on it:

I've also been sieged about thirty-leven times by the undead, though they did kill off a two squadron elven ambush for me, so that's something.  Here's the news screen telling me that one kid was kidnapped... wait... ONE child was kidnapped HOW many times from HOW many places?  *Boggle*

I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36328 on: August 03, 2014, 04:44:37 pm »

Welp. First autumn, it appears a small band of elf bandits has stopped by for a visit. They have an assortment of metal equipment. Fistshoots has no military, or traps, not even the drawbridge is finished yet. We got two wardogs and a potential miner militia.

This has lots of Fun potential.

--PLAY-BY-PLAY UPDATE--

Hastily assembled the 3 dwarf stong miner militia near the front gate drawbridge, they fittingly named themselves the Squashed Rocks. The first elf, a swordself, to near the entrance catches sight of the war dogs and immediately turns and flees in terror.

The second elf to enter is an elf bowman, who the squad captain quickly attacks. The archer got a single shot off, which only bruised the captain's upper body. That's great, all she has is an assortment of clothing, which apparently is enough to keep a copper arrow from causing too much damage. The captain quickly cleaves the elf's right foot and right lower arm off with her pick.

An elf hammerman runs up to join the fight as another miner arrives to support the captain. The bowman is rendered harmless from numerous lost limbs while the newly arrived miner Kadol and the elf hammerman begin to fight. Kadol deftly parries the elf's strike and counters with her pick, spilling the elf's guts. Kadol becomes overwhelmed with horror at the sight of what she's done, but she continues fighting. An elf crossbowman shoots a bolt at her point blank, but she deftly knocks it aside with her pick, despite being overwhelmed with horror.

The two miners, Zefon the captain and Kadol the miner fight a bit longer. Each one quickly slays an elf. Zefon turns and begins to fight the elf crossbowman, while Kadol experiences mortal terror and flees for her life into the fortress.

So, Zefon kills the crossbowelf quickly. She's all by herself now. There's the main group of elves approaching, 6 elves total, 4 who are not fleeing for their lives. Zefon has no backup, she's never fought before, has no discipline and no equipment aside from a copper pick, the clothes on her back, and a hastily crafted wood buckler. She's outnumbered 2 to 1.

So what does she do? SHE SPRINTS OUT OF THE GATE AND LITERALLY JUMPS 4 WHOLE TILES AT THE ELVES, THAT'S WHAT. There's no reason for her AI to jump, there's flat ground between her and the approaching elves. She jumps anyway. Badass and dorfy as hell. She sticks the landing and in one movement buries her pick in an elf swordsman's lower body. The swordsman immediately becomes terrified and understandably experiences mortal fear after just witnessing a crazy ass dwarf leaping 4 tiles at him and shanking him with a pick.

The elf spearman standing besides them tries to attack, but Zefon parries with her pick and stabs him in the foot. Both elves are now terrified of this dwarven demigoddess of war and earth who stands before them. 4 out of 6 elves are fleeing now, a maceelf tries to attack but gets countered and stabbed in the chest for his troubles.

The maceelf charges and stuns Zefon. Zefon, who so far has been unstoppable, gets whacked in the arm with a mace, bruising it. She promptly enters a martial trance. Yes, she's only now entering a martial trance.

So fierce is her attack that she cuts off the maceelf's right hand, sending it flying 5 tiles away, and strikes the elf spearman in the lower body wither her copper pick with such force that "it is mostly cut away from the rest of the torso" and kills the elf instantly. She kills the maceelf and only 4 elves remain, all terrified for their lives.

Zefon easily cleans up what's left. She had no skill in fighting, only had a wood buckler and her copper pick. She was a grandmaster miner, no discipline, no dodging or shield using or any skill beyond mining. She was outnumbered with almost no help from her allies.

She slays the last elf, striking him in the upper body as he grovels and cries and begs for his life. She cloves him asunder. She was only a common peasant, but she did not flee, she did not cry. She has no tears for these elves. They threatened her home, and she protected it singlehandedly. With the last swing of her pick, with the last kill, she has only this to say.

Praise the miners, muthafooka.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:38:42 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2420 2421 [2422] 2423 2424 ... 3836