Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2421 2422 [2423] 2424 2425 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787406 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36330 on: August 03, 2014, 06:29:12 pm »

Turns out Zefon has the personality trait of being brave in the face of danger, which is why she never fled despite having no discipline. Kadol had the exact opposite, with the trait of being cowardly at the slightest hint of danger. So I guess that explains why one didn't run at all while the other bailed after killing just one elf.

Both Kadol and some other dwarf with the same trait kept passing out on the floor from horror during cleanup too because of constantly seeing dead bodies, so...yeah, pretty cowardly. Probably not a good trait for military dwarves.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36331 on: August 03, 2014, 06:31:17 pm »

Turns out Zefon has the personality trait of being brave in the face of danger, which is why she never fled despite having no discipline. Kadol had the exact opposite, with the trait of being cowardly at the slightest hint of danger. So I guess that explains why one didn't run at all while the other bailed after killing just one elf.

Both Kadol and some other dwarf with the same trait kept passing out on the floor from horror during cleanup too because of constantly seeing dead bodies, so...yeah, pretty cowardly. Probably not a good trait for military dwarves.

You'd be amazed at what a few months of training and a few low-key fights against animals or bandits can do.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36332 on: August 03, 2014, 06:36:00 pm »

You'd be amazed at what a few months of training and a few low-key fights against animals or bandits can do.

Well, yeah, but these were basically civilian miners with no prior combat experience or discipline I'm talking about.

In any case, a dwarf with bravery in the face of danger seems like a great choice for early military.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36333 on: August 03, 2014, 06:43:07 pm »

Well, yeah, but these were basically civilian miners with no prior combat experience or discipline I'm talking about.

In any case, a dwarf with bravery in the face of danger seems like a great choice for early military.

Oh, no doubt. For really good soldiers you'll want bravery such as that and an ability to handle stress, coupled with a sense of duty. If they happen to prefer confrontation, even better. Hell, you can hit a jackpot candidate that would actually prefer to be at war with everyone (generally being coupled with a ton of desirable personality traits for a soldier,) though such individuals will train as religiously as weapon masters if they have a place to train, making them poor choices for anything but military duty.
EDIT: At least the last time I had such dwarves that was the case anyway. I had trouble getting them to do anything but train if I gave them somewhere to do so.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #36334 on: August 03, 2014, 08:29:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Praise the miners, muthafooka.
Wow just wow.
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36335 on: August 03, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »

A Kea has just flown away with an iron minecart.  My soldiers are now forgiven for wetting their pants when I told them to go kill a wounded Giant Kea.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36336 on: August 04, 2014, 05:09:21 am »

Pretty much sums up the boredom in Quickmetals.

I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36337 on: August 04, 2014, 05:48:34 am »

Genned a new world in 40.06, and proceeded to embark in a conflux of four terrifying swamps. Having embarked in terrifying biomes before, I wan't too worried. I'd had clouds that made the giant mosquito swarms vomit all over the place, cyan exsanguinating ooze, purple goo that didn't do anything at all, and rains of delicious elf blood before. I knew the biomes could be bad, but it seemed much likelier that I'd get a random syndrome cloud that didn't do much. But no, this time the RNG decided it wasn't screwing around.

I wasted some time building a palisade until I discovered that there were Giant Sparrow corpses running about, and I'd have to build a roof as well. I tunneled down, discovered the aquifer, and started work on the plug. When the cloud of nefarious ash decided to roll over my camp, I sent everyone to emergency burrows, and things appeared to be fine.

Nope.

You see, animals don't respect burrows. If I'd just made a butcher shop and killed all my livestock, I could have survived this, but I didn't, and they were still alive for the ash to touch.

I don't know what the ash does, even now. Whatever it touched died instantly. Not twitch-reflexes-required-to-see-the-suffering fast. If the ash was visible in the square, whatever was in the square was already dead. Believe me, I tried to catch it in the act, and no matter how quickly I escaped and reentered view creature mode, it didn't work.

And worse? Whatever died reanimated in seconds. The ash took out a horse. Before the cloud had moved another two tiles, that horse corpse was assaulting a donkey who had escaped the cloud, and almost immediately the now-dead donkey went after the dogs...

Now, oddly enough, the various undead livestock were content to murder one dwarf apiece, and then stand about placidly. But I panicked and had my dwarves seal up the tunnel to survive. Except they refused to do it until I let them out of the warrens. And then most of them proceeded to seal themselves outside while I watched the miner.

One was killed by an ash cloud while fishing. One was kicked to death by the horse corpse. One by the donkey. One was killed by a dog corpse, and his corpse proceeded to stand back up and kill his friend. The woodcutter, embarrassingly, had his skull torn out by a cat. Only the miner was left, and I figured if he could just finish and drop the plug, there was a chance he could hole up long enough for caravans and migrants to arrive while he excavated some stone for use in real dwarven architecture.

Except then he went on break. And an ash cloud spawned right over the plug pit (I know, exposing it to the surface was dumb, but it was a shallow aquifer and I needed all the z-levels I could get for the plug.) and the last thing the miner said as the green ash of death barreled down towards him was "This looks like a good time to take a nap!", promptly falling asleep. Then the ash touched him and the fortress crumbled to its end.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36338 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:36 am »

a carpenter had her neck split in gore yet she's somehow still alive. I checked the status screen and her upper spine is broken, with no apparent damage to nerve tissue.

This is either the luckiest dwarf ever or the least lucky.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36339 on: August 04, 2014, 06:48:22 am »

It seems that "__ into gore" might not always be quite as bad of an injury as it seems.

At the very least I know that one of my Adventurers had several wounds that reported being split or exploded into gore, only to see nothing but bruising on the wounds list.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36340 on: August 04, 2014, 09:42:01 am »

I thought "explodes into gore" means pieces of minced dwarf literally go flying in all directions in a shower of meat and blood, but apparently it just means "badly mangled".

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36341 on: August 04, 2014, 10:05:30 am »

Think of it this way: a pretty bad cut on your hand by a kitchen knife is gory. The explodes part is whats throwing people off.

Just think of it as "part in question is now gory."
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Dwarftosser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36342 on: August 04, 2014, 10:26:03 am »

welp.  started a fort in the beginning of winter. waited till the next autumn to get a migrant wave.....  three clothiers, a glass worker, and an orphaned child.

the child took almost half a month to crawl from the edge of the screen to the wagon.  Not sure where this is going, but I've commissioned a new tomb.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36343 on: August 04, 2014, 10:36:58 am »

According to Dwarf Therapist, my hermit is ecstatic from throwing one hundred and eighty-nine things. Which is weird because I'm pretty sure I don't have one hundred and eighty-nine things in the whole fortress. It's not a Therapist bug either, since she levelled up to Adept in both Thrower and Archer from it.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36344 on: August 04, 2014, 10:48:35 am »

According to Dwarf Therapist, my hermit is ecstatic from throwing one hundred and eighty-nine things. Which is weird because I'm pretty sure I don't have one hundred and eighty-nine things in the whole fortress.
You know that you can throw same thing multiple times, right?
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
Pages: 1 ... 2421 2422 [2423] 2424 2425 ... 3835