Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2422 2423 [2424] 2425 2426 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788087 times)

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36345 on: August 04, 2014, 10:50:09 am »

According to Dwarf Therapist, my hermit is ecstatic from throwing one hundred and eighty-nine things. Which is weird because I'm pretty sure I don't have one hundred and eighty-nine things in the whole fortress.
You know that you can throw same thing multiple times, right?
After a thing has been thrown, it becomes a forbidden thing, which dwarves will not touch. I didn't unforbid any things during this tantrum rampage.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36346 on: August 04, 2014, 10:55:59 am »

Do tantruming dwarves respect forbidden-ness? Perhaps he hurled some seeds around or fat stacks of (cash) ...fat.

Or bolts/coins. They come in huge stacks.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36347 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:48 am »

Do tantruming dwarves respect forbidden-ness? Perhaps he hurled some seeds around or fat stacks of (cash) ...fat.

Or bolts/coins. They come in huge stacks.
It was a pretty new fort, no coins/bolts, exactly one seed. There was a stack of yak bull fat, but there were only about ten units in it.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36348 on: August 04, 2014, 11:16:20 am »

Three of my beloved dorfs were killed by a large Ass.

Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #36349 on: August 04, 2014, 11:21:32 am »

One goblin siege arrived. Only crossbowblins. After enough of them step on cage traps (not before injuring two dwarves of mine), they left.
I received two new waves of migrants, up to a total of 28 dwarves. It's kinda funny, because a lot of them are being jobless if not stockpiling stuff.
No caravans arrived yet, so I'm on my own for a while.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36350 on: August 04, 2014, 11:25:35 am »

Weird river science update: After partially channeling the oddity that was RingedRampart's demon-water-line, I have determined that the world-gen filling effect only applies to riverbeds that haven't been tampered with or observed- they exist in a quantum state of filling and draining, depending on whether dwarves are actively doing something to them. Tiles that were left unchanneled refilled to 7/7 as (ab)normal, while the channeled tiles simulated flow as one would expect- by draining to 2/7, 1/7, and often drying up completely, starting the reclaim screen with a small layer of grass.

I hypothesize that this quantum river effect is the driving force behind the standard perpetual motion-waterwheel. In the split-frame that the water goes through the pump, it is unobserved by dwarves and thus for that instant in contact with the filling effect- which then adds pressure (potential energy) to the mechanism that offsets the forces of Entropy that would normally keep such things from functioning.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36351 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:35 am »

According to Dwarf Therapist, my hermit is ecstatic from throwing one hundred and eighty-nine things. Which is weird because I'm pretty sure I don't have one hundred and eighty-nine things in the whole fortress.
After a thing has been thrown, it becomes a forbidden thing, which dwarves will not touch. I didn't unforbid any things during this tantrum rampage.

Did You mess with the <o>rders screen at all? 'Cause there's an option to claim fired ammo that didn't break on impact and objects thrown during a tantrum count as "ammo". The option is disabled by default, but if you toggled it, your fort will never forbid anything that's been thrown.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36352 on: August 04, 2014, 12:02:52 pm »

Did You mess with the <o>rders screen at all? 'Cause there's an option to claim fired ammo that didn't break on impact and objects thrown during a tantrum count as "ammo". The option is disabled by default, but if you toggled it, your fort will never forbid anything that's been thrown.
Nope, didn't touch it. Also, I looked at the scene of the throwing and the coffins that got thrown were definitely forbidden.
Actually, even if tantrumming dwarves could still pick up and throw forbidden things, shouldn't she have stopped the tantrum after getting boosted way out of Miserable?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36353 on: August 04, 2014, 12:33:46 pm »

Three of my beloved dorfs were killed by a large Ass.

Wow, he killed your dwarves? What a huge ass.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36354 on: August 04, 2014, 03:49:19 pm »

I checked the status of the injured carpenter after a diagnosis (adequate diagnostician) and her upper spine nervous tissue is cut apart. back in 0.34, that would result in death by suffocation but here she's still fine save for a broken arm.

maybe this is a bug with necks?
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36355 on: August 04, 2014, 04:07:27 pm »

To test if you need a very small distance between you and dark fortress in order to finally get goblins actually sending armies or ambush squads, i decided to embark at 1 world tile of distance of a dark fortress.

Unfortunately there's an aquifer.
Oh well, will make me lose time with the digging and channelling to make a cave in and be able to dig through the aquifer level.

And so i did (while impressed how df could run slow with only 25 dwarves in comparison to past version, especially considering the map was completely flat)
Then finally after the dwarves accepted to complete their work (the amount of job cancellation was odd, couldn't find why, i had to cancel designation and redesign exactly the same to make some dwarves willing to actually do the work), the cave-in was done and i ordered a floor to lead into the stair i set to build through the whole stuff that caved in.

Digging for the stair worked , and i decided to start a up/down stair toward the depth of the earth., all was good, the aquifer level was dug through without problem too thanks to the whole caved in things

ha ha ha ! take that aquifer ! now to the glories of the depth of DF2014
Hmm, what's that, what do you mean damp stone located ? I pierced the aquifer, don't tell me that ...

Oh damn, a 2 levels aquifer ... my worst embark nightmares, especially on that completely flat map in which i can't cave-in more levels ...

Time to retire.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36356 on: August 04, 2014, 05:50:04 pm »

the dead baby has figuratively came back to haunt me.

I tried to build a well underground to get water but I forgot about the dead baby corpse in the lake. Now whenever they try to build it they ran off screaming. Pussies. I finally got two dwarves with high willpower to finish the well.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36357 on: August 04, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »

Outpost Kindlepaints, 1st Moonstone 201, 18 dwarves; Under Siege

GOOD FUCKING GRIEF IT'S ONLY THE FIRST WINTER WHY IS .40.05 SO CRUEL TO ME

My woodcutter is also an amateur axedwarf, aND SHE'S ASLEEP DOWNSTAIRS THERE ARE 10 GOBLINS COMING TO SLAUGHTER EVERYONE AND SHE'S FUCKING ASLEEP IN THE MAKESHIFT FOOD STOCKPILE NOMAL GET YOUR ASS UP

... I'm gonna draft everybody (they'll die anyway so whatevs) and do a zerg rush. CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36358 on: August 04, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »

My woodcutter is also an amateur axedwarf, aND SHE'S ASLEEP DOWNSTAIRS THERE ARE 10 GOBLINS COMING TO SLAUGHTER EVERYONE AND SHE'S FUCKING ASLEEP IN THE MAKESHIFT FOOD STOCKPILE NOMAL GET YOUR ASS UP

... I'm gonna draft everybody (they'll die anyway so whatevs) and do a zerg rush. CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE
Operation emergency miner militia go!
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36359 on: August 04, 2014, 07:07:15 pm »

Operation emergency miner militia go!

Too late, 12 dwarves are dead and all but one is too injured to OH COME ON STOP DOING A JIG WITH THE WOUNDED GUY AND PUT THEM IN THE HOSPITAL ALREADY

Oh yeah, according to Legends Viewer there aren't any actual dwarves in my dwarven civilization. Just goblins.

Edit: Mind you, that's before I embarked anywhere. Now we've stabilized (maybe?) at 2 dwarves. And precious little likelihood of migrants, unless the merchants from autumn come in spring.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:21:48 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 2422 2423 [2424] 2425 2426 ... 3835