Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2445 2446 [2447] 2448 2449 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856840 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36690 on: August 21, 2014, 11:30:01 pm »

Finally got a big enough siege, 94 total invaders ( trolls with goblins ).  That's better than the two squad pittance the goblins have sent up to this point in 40.08.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #36691 on: August 22, 2014, 12:35:10 am »

Finally started up on the new DF version.

The zombie apocalypse aboveground doesn't seem to bother migrants, since a few of them teamed up with a goblin zombie so they could beat the crap out of an alligator, and the undead activities up there have been random at best when it comes to opposing the living. The goblin hanged around with migrants for a few weeks while I was looking for a good moment to let them in, but only when a dorf zed ran in did the goblin corpse go postal on the migrants as well.

Meanwhile, a kid and farmer beat the stuffing out of a tantruming gem cutter chick, and the farmer followed her to the hospital where he finally strangled her to death.

I need a sheriff. And a heavy silver hammer, from the looks of it. These fucking people.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36692 on: August 22, 2014, 01:02:40 am »

Got attacked by werecavy tonight. A terrifying beast, half man, half guinea pig. Beware his adorable call!

Now I know why I fear the night. Yeah, right. That's all you got?

He proceeded to attack the dwarf that spotted him, an adequate spinner (AKA: expendable). It bit him on the right upper arm, shook him around a bit, then let him go and headed into my fort. I told my melee troops to go kill it. It headed in towards my depot, where a human caravan was just getting ready to leave, so the caravan guards attacked it. A human lasher and the werecavy fell into a trench and were going at each other, mostly missing, but the cavy eventually got a few bites in on the human lasher and shook him around pretty well.

About the time the lasher was giving in to pain, my militia commander showed up wielding a brand new artifact gold hammer, which mostly just bruised the werecavy. I was expecting better from it. He proceed to severely annoy the werecavy for a while, until my other competent soldier showed up, a spearmaster. The spearmaster did his pokey-pokey thing a few times, tearing the monster's guts and making it bleed quite a bit. But it was the hammerdwarf that got the killing blow, "The militia commander bashes the Werecavy in the lower body with his Gathilestrith and the injured part is crushed!" I guess gold is a pretty decent material for a hammer.

Neither the militia commander nor the spearmaster were inured at all. The human lasher is drifting in and out of consciousness. Hopefully he'll recover in time to leave before the next new moon. That just leaves the spinner, who is staggering back to the fort to clean himself. I don't think he realizes that he's now a werecavy, too.

So now I need to figure out what to do with him. This is the first time I've had a dwarf injured by a were and survive. Naturally, I got blessed by such an awesome were creature. I wonder if he'll have cute curly black hair and "spring green" eyes, like the one that attacked?  I can just hear the goblins: "Don't attack Hammervalleys, they're defended by a were-<snicker>... a were-cavy! <snort!> Oooh, it's adorable call is just terrifying!"

Well, I guess I should start by building an isolation ward for this guy. Probably right next to the mayoral suites, since they already have magma plumbing installed. The last mayor really loved goblets. So much so that he forbade exporting them, right before the dwarven caravan arrived. The one we were planning on trading lots and lots of ☼rock mugs☼ to. Fortunately, the new mayor that got elected just before we started trading didn't object to exporting the mugs. He did grumble about not having a proper bedroom for a while, but it took time for the last bits of magma to evaporate from it before we could install a new bed.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36693 on: August 22, 2014, 04:46:53 am »

The Ettin Gigin Tecaknikot Thebil Izkil has come! A giant humanoid monster with two heads.

Hopefully he doesn't kill anyone, most of the fort is on the edge of spiraling after I was forced to kill a Werelizard infected Lawdwarf after he went berserk during "diagnosis". He had been a little sad about two fortress children dieing right before the attack, and I may have forgotten to put any pants in his little area.

I also have a Farmer who has been sleeping outside of the fort for several seasons. And I mean just sleeping, constantly, through several ambushes that completely ignored him. He has no visible injuries and isn't marked in need of diagnosis, but sleeps on and on. I somewhat remember a tree collapse in the area he is in from a year or so before, but I'm not sure if that's related. I think I might build a hut around him and, if my military can get outside fast enough to protect him from the Ettin, see if he ever wakes up or decides to sleep into eternity.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36694 on: August 22, 2014, 05:48:14 am »

All the miners and engravers of Searingmines were almost starved to death at the construction site of the new Goblin Terminal Velocity Testing Facility. I was so concentrated in cage trapping monsters in the caverns that I completely forgot about the pit builders, now several urists below the nearest exit, starving and dehydrating... Luckily an exit tunnel got dug out just in time; now I'll have to pamper my workers for a while before continuing work.

Only few more levels to channel and smooth out, then the installation of 513 lead bars for flooring and Searingmines can finally welcome the sieges with style!
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36695 on: August 22, 2014, 07:50:34 am »

The outpost liaison showed up to inform the king that a few years ago, he became the king. ...Wait, what?

Quote from: Zas Tôsedrovod
A few years ago, Tulon Earthenhealing became queen of The Outrageous Inks, replacing Vabôk Diamondwishes. I hear he has a real mean streak.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36696 on: August 22, 2014, 09:14:38 am »

Goldthrone has finally actually started mining out gold. The yellow metal however must wait for my smiths to be of adequate level to use such a metal. Copper and Goblinite is being melted down then recrafted, then melted down. I look forward to the days when Goldthrone is glistening with the fruits of dwarfkin labour.

Unfortunately the Militia General has decided to be in a coma after slaying a Nighttroll, and he chose a great location, right on the drawbridge into the Underfort.  He shall be gloriously catapaulted into our watersource upon the alarm ringing.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36697 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23:41 am »

The Ettin Gigin Tecaknikot Thebil Izkil has come! A giant humanoid monster with two heads.

Hopefully he doesn't kill anyone, most of the fort is on the edge of spiraling after I was forced to kill a Werelizard infected Lawdwarf after he went berserk during "diagnosis". He had been a little sad about two fortress children dieing right before the attack, and I may have forgotten to put any pants in his little area.

I also have a Farmer who has been sleeping outside of the fort for several seasons. And I mean just sleeping, constantly, through several ambushes that completely ignored him. He has no visible injuries and isn't marked in need of diagnosis, but sleeps on and on. I somewhat remember a tree collapse in the area he is in from a year or so before, but I'm not sure if that's related. I think I might build a hut around him and, if my military can get outside fast enough to protect him from the Ettin, see if he ever wakes up or decides to sleep into eternity.

Yep, tree collapses send people into a coma. I have no idea if they can ever be cured though, mine died in a snowstorm before I set up my hospital.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36698 on: August 22, 2014, 11:01:16 am »

'After a polite discussion with a local rival, "Founder" Rockcities has claimed the position of queen of the Tome of Coal'.

...what? This is spring of year two of the fortress and the civ's got a bunch of locations deep in the mountains! Don't tell me the goblins conquered them!

And since she was also my expedition leader, I then got this message shortly afterwards.

'"Founder" Cryptenjoyed has assumed the position of expedition leader of The Destiny of Beer'.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:04:39 am by Urist McShire »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36699 on: August 22, 2014, 12:42:33 pm »

Unfortunately the Militia General has decided to be in a coma after slaying a Nighttroll, and he chose a great location, right on the drawbridge into the Underfort.  He shall be gloriously catapaulted into our watersource upon the alarm ringing.

Build a bunch of beds surrounding the bridge. Maybe he'll land in one and you can designate it a hospital. :)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36700 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:01 pm »

Build a bunch of beds surrounding the bridge. Maybe he'll land in one and you can designate it a hospital. :)

Keith
You dont need beds in your hospital.  Kind of the same way you dont need soap.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36701 on: August 22, 2014, 01:02:27 pm »

Another case of those mysterious flying/jumping dwarves. This time a carpenter flew from her bed to a wall with such a force that she basically split in gore and died immediately. Her three children watched by, horrified. This was the fourth dwarf to get suddenly airborne this way.

Is anyone else having dwarves crash land for no reason?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36702 on: August 22, 2014, 01:35:20 pm »

I've just had a dwarf arrive unhappy.... as in, a migrant dwarf. Arrived unhappy. Judging from the thoughts, he's from my last fortress. Huh. Also known as "Vomitopia", since at any 1 time, there were at least 10 dwarves with the Flu constantly vomiting on everything. (I use Masterwork, which has actual diseases in it.)

Edit: Make that the entire migrant wave.  Do you get migrants from old forts if you settle close enough?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:36:58 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Oblique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36703 on: August 22, 2014, 01:41:00 pm »

On a fresh embark in an already running world, my brave militia commander just fended of an early group of goblins with minimal training and some really mediocre iron armor. He did come down with a bad case of broken neck and fractured spine, though, and since I'd forgotten to actually assign the labours to my medical dwarf, they just hauled him off to bed and wished him well. Having now had a good night's sleep, he's back in the barracks running drills despite all training being cancelled. Neck still bent and spine still fractured, but at least he's well rested I guess.

I suppose I ought to arrange a minor accident so I can get him diagnosed and put in traction. Eventually.

elcr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36704 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:22 pm »

The forgotten beast Cithasi Meliobi Terathinunòre came, a great humanoid composed of green glass. Its dust caused creatures to go blind, vomit everywhere, and become very drowsy, meaning they usually fell asleep on the spot and got their heads kicked in. Five of the twenty badly-equipped militia died fighting it off along with a tame cave crocodile and a glassworker... but all bar three dwarves breathed in the dust. Those remaining three were immediately made doctors and spent ages diagnosing, although each patient simply left for their bedroom to sleep as soon as the diagnosis was finished. All of the fortress's animals, including a war cave dragon which also took part in the battle, are still asleep, presumably because they can't wash the dust off.

Whilst descending the central stairway, one of the militia ran into a gremlin sneaking its way in. It immediately made a break for one of the fortress's trap-lined cavern exits. The militia dwarf chased it down and knocked it out on the traps, and I was surprised to discover you can tame gremlins. It spent its time mingling in the dining room, forever hovering around the trainer assigned to it. That trainer must have been sub par because it forgot its training and reverted back to a wild state... except nobody seemed to notice, least of all itself. It continued to wander around the dining room, munch food from the stockpile and sleep wherever it pleased. Only the few awake animals cared, descending upon it wherever possible. I noticed that only after it strangled a particularly ferocious puppy. God help it should the cave dragon ever wake up.

A small goblin siege arrived, and once again the militia was called into action, more disciplined than ever before after relocating to their new barracks in the refuse stockpile. The goblins didn't prove to be a problem, but interestingly I got an announcement I'd never seen before in my five years of playing: 'There is an elf hidden away here.' Sure enough, one of the militia had ran into a hidden elf, although curiously he was unconscious and wounded. I don't know if he was part of the goblin siege or a separate elven ambush, and I have no idea how he got his wounds. There was nothing in the combat log, and while the pungent slime raining from the sky outside does make creatures feverish, I don't think it breaks their wrists.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:53:52 pm by elcr »
Pages: 1 ... 2445 2446 [2447] 2448 2449 ... 3836