Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2461 2462 [2463] 2464 2465 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862308 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36930 on: September 02, 2014, 12:38:29 pm »

The great goblin horde invaded...
That's a lot of goblins. Have fun hauling the goblinite. Maybe you should just designate the entire surface a refuse pile so it just wears away.

Embarked on a distant island, in untamed wilds... perhaps the goblins will never reach the place, but I doubt it.

Set up a dozen or so cage traps to try to catch and tame the local giant animals. So far, we only have a wombat and two emus (the regular, non-giant variety), but it's only a matter of time...
At least emus lay eggs, if you've caught a female, and they should grow to be about the same size as a large dog in DF, so not bad for food either, if you can breed them. Bonus: gizzard stones!

Mmmm, watching a tantrum spiral in my challenge game.  Don't think I'm pulling out of this one  :P.

EDIT:  Actually, I might be wrong about that, provided I don't get sieged or something.  Have 4 dwarves who all won a lot of fist fights against tantruming dwarves.  All of them are ecstatic about their won fights, so they might actually come out the other end of this thing.
Now I'm imagining them bro-fisting each other about how badass they are, while their friends and family run around tantruming and gibbering.

Just, you know, chilling next to a haunted ocean.
Hilarious.

For myself:
I only just got back to DF now on 0.40.10 (played the last time a few months ago). Created a "smaller" world due to reading about slow worldgen, and I'm only playing on my laptop atm, for which I've also disabled weather&temperature. 125 years for a bit of history, plus I don't want all my dwarves to be the "first of their kind."

This world, The Future Realms, with one continent, the Land of Fires, has no elves. Goodbye buying tamed exotic animals.  And the goblins easily outnumber humans, dwarves and kobolds combined. The world did have several towers. In fact, the only way to avoid a tower neighbour would've been embark in the tundra area. I chose to embark just off the southern tip of the only mountain range inhabited by the only dwarf civ, The Robust Gear, also only 6 embark tiles away from The Robust Gear's nearest site. Said location has 2 tower neighbours. My location straddles a brook and has 2 biomes, a warm untamed wilds temperate shrubland with clay and deep metals, and a warm untamed wilds temperate savanna with clay, deep+shallow metals, an aquifer and flux. And the warm shrubland/savanna is called The Icy Fields. Go figure (it does extend all the way around the mountain range up to the tundra, I think).

The expedition leader dreams of becoming a legendary warrior, 4 dwarves dream of creating a great work of art, and the final 2, a male and a female, dream of raising a family  (the female has no ambition, but the male has relentless drive... that'll be an interesting relationship, if they do end up together).

I embark. The map seems nice enough, with some gentle sandy hills, plenty of oak, willow, birch, and quite a few different fruit and nut trees, and a peaceful stream... with a stingray! And 3 alligators. And over a dozen carp. So looks are deceiving. A good reminder for the site in general; the necromancer attacks should be interesting, to say the least. I order a tunnel to be dug into the side of a hill underneath some roots, and a nearby birch and pear tree to be cut down. Sadly, both my horses are male.

Thus began the tale of Odomath *Basinsack*, founded in the year 125 by The Merchants of Covering. I need to get underground/build a wood fort aboveground ASAP. I wonder if zombies/sneaking necromancers can climb...?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36931 on: September 02, 2014, 03:56:42 pm »

Today, my most precious of secret desires has come true.

THE ELVES BROUGHT ME A TAME FLUFFY WAMBLER.

<martinuzz cancels paying dwarf fortress: too cute>
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36932 on: September 02, 2014, 09:07:32 pm »

I . . . I think my raving mad doctor's crippled dog just responded to my pull lever order.   Sheogorath, are you there?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36933 on: September 02, 2014, 10:16:46 pm »

My first two migrant waves weren't so big, easy to handle. Struck a ton of emeralds, gold, sapphires, rubies, and iron. Started making stone crafts covered in precious gems. Next migrant wave? 56. So I was slaughtering most of the male animals in my fort, had five carpenters making beds, two masons making tables and chairs, I think four guys brewing, and my two new proficient chefs cooking away. I (so far) have somehow staved off insanity and starvation, which normally ends my fortresses, as I'm a bit too eager to go digging until I hit valuable ores. I should really make a stable fort before a booming metal industry.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36934 on: September 02, 2014, 10:22:27 pm »

Capturing a whole bunch of emus on the island my base is on. Also breached the cavern and captured a whole bunch of elk birds.

Clearly my fortress is meant to become an egg empire... better get started on more nest boxes

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36935 on: September 02, 2014, 10:26:41 pm »

Capturing a whole bunch of emus on the island my base is on. Also breached the cavern and captured a whole bunch of elk birds.

Clearly my fortress is meant to become an egg empire... better get started on more nest boxes
Clearly my fortress is meant to become an egg empire...
become an egg empire...
EGG EMPIRE
EGG EMPIRE!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36936 on: September 02, 2014, 10:38:19 pm »

Clearly my fortress is meant to become an egg empire...
become an egg empire...
EGG EMPIRE
EGG EMPIRE!

I miss the days when he was still Doctor Robotnik.  Eggman just sounds so... Goo goo ga Jube.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36937 on: September 02, 2014, 11:02:19 pm »

If you were Japanese, he was always Eggman, and if you're american/european/canadian/english speaking other, then he's Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, so he's still Dr. Robotnik, but he's going through a bit of a "fat" phase, or maybe a "Mommy issues" phase.
But yes. Badniks over Eggbots any day.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36938 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:08 pm »

Yeah, I've always been of the opinion that direct, literal translations are not always the best.  Robotnik/Eggman has been my proof of concept since the 90s.

Anyway, current fort:  Experiment to figure out why the migrant waves have dried up on an empire that spans nearly a quarter of the map and holds at least 30 sites.

Might have something to do with insane dwarves.  More news at 10.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:12:48 pm by Tacomagic »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36939 on: September 03, 2014, 05:06:32 am »

The jewelers have gotten out of control again and are encrusting a pair of wooden wheelbarrows with everything they can find. I think they are making a game out of it; the silliest, most useless things are now looking like Urist McPimp's tricked-out minecart.

Parts of +detailed+ alunite floor have magically turned into red sand cavern floor. I think those parts were the ones that got water spilled over them earlier; could mud  transform the floor under them?

One carpenter is getting constantly horrified when walking past the bone stockpile. His personality profile says "He has great trouble mastering fear when confronted by danger" and "dislikes the natural world"; sounds like that could be the reason. He also "dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world." Good luck with that.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36940 on: September 03, 2014, 10:51:34 am »

Minecarts and crutches are among my favourite encrustation projects. Nothing like a ridiculously fancied-up ride or pimp cane.

Own fort: took another look at my non-military fort and a forgotten beast was hovering around the entrance to the minecart grinder. So i spent a while watching the show. Unfortunately, an unpowered grinder takes forever to finish off a fleshy FB and is likely useless against tougher mineral types. I was using a lead cart and the beast kept stepping back into the grinder because it wanted to get at an installed hatch that can only be attacked from inside the grinder. Eventually, after absolutely everything was broken many times, the cart scored a headshot and finished it off. Yet another load of forgotten beast soap coming up. It was the ninth FB killed; a winged tick with deadly dust. Specials don't really matter, though, because they never get to see a dwarf.

And looking at .40.10 checking on my training military squad, the captain got tired (showed training/resting) and showed "Urist McMilitary's dwarf sweat" inventory items all over her body. Then, when it dried off, she continued training without taking a shower break. Yuck.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36941 on: September 03, 2014, 11:09:01 am »

My favored military dwarf has sustained an incredulous amount of injury
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I looked into the reports, and its a from either silver arrows or iron bolts.  One caught him in the shoulder and put him down, and the rest was him being a meatshield.  Its been maybe a week since the combat, and he's gotten all those scar since then.

5 pages of getting stuffed like a pincushion, yea?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:11:00 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36942 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:56 am »

So apparently invasions cause dwarf professions to be rearranged randomly.

Had to leave my old fortress I was visiting as an adventurer because I was attacked by a crocodile who was also a Recruit. Didn't want to kill it in case of a loyalty cascade :v

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36943 on: September 03, 2014, 12:49:29 pm »

I was setting up a new game (still in the old version - probably the last game I will start before getting the update) when the fortress name random selection pushed the name BoltFrenzy at me.

For no particular reason, it made me think of this:

BoltFrenzy

Trust no one.
Keep your crossbow handy.
The Overseer is your Friend.

In the fortress of BoltFrenzy, everything is great.  The Overseer says so.  You are not saying the Overseer would lie are you?  No?  Good.  Only a mutant goblin traitor would say that - and we shoot mutant goblin traitors.  With our crossbows.  Crossbows make us happy.  The Overseer wants us to be happy.  The Overseer wants us to have crossbows.

If you come to BoltFrenzy, you will get a crossbow.  This will make you happy.  With a crossbow, you can shoot bad things.  Everyone in BoltFrenzy carries a crossbow  (Except the miner, she had a note from mom.  The miner is your friend, protect her.)  Aren't you glad that everyone around you will be carrying a lethal weapon?  Doesn't that make you feel really safe?  The Overseer is concerned for your safety.

Mutant goblin traitors are everywhere.  Trust no-one, keep your crossbow handy, the Overseer is your friend.

Anyway - on embark, the wagon immediately self destructed as it spawned on a super steep cliff.  Sadly, one level up and one tile to the left was a big flat open wagon-friendly plateau, but I like to think that the high speed mine cart powered colony delivery system basically shot the starting seven across the world and they landed with a bit of a bump.

It is a great site - pretty much everything you could wish for, but priority one was to get the food stocks into a quick storage space dug into a sandy hill.

I have a thing for above ground forts, but this site has this lovely steep cliff wall of 15 urists height.  I intend to dig away the face of it to make it basically sheer, then build a cliff face fort out of it, with a keep on the top of the plateau.  Of course, I embarked with a bazillion granite stones for building with, and they all need to be moved off the cliff face first.

One of the 'rules' of the fort is, by the start of year 2 - everyone except the miner needs to be carrying a crossbow and ammunition, although brief moments to use an axe for tree felling will be permitted.  I de-powered crossbows a bit in the raws.  Another rule will be the justice system will be allowed to do its worst, with a hammerer (assuming he can carry a crossbow and hammer dwarves with it?)  Finally, no walling up of the fortress, no traps (except maybe some cage traps away from the fort if there is a chance for exotic pets like giant tigers), and a relatively open entry.  The idea is to attract the thieves and snatchers, let them be spotted, and let them get shot at.

Anyway - 2 months in and predictably everyone is just running around trying to get basic infrastructure started.  There is plenty of sand and magma, so I think I will be using a lot of glass.  Fire clay too, so fired bricks.  Block construction is always way slower than digging, but style is everything !  The Overseer says so !

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36944 on: September 03, 2014, 01:25:14 pm »

Ah, happy memories of countless Paranoia sessions...

Now you'll only need security clearances for all dwarves. And secret societies.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 2461 2462 [2463] 2464 2465 ... 3836